Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Then there was Left Spine Down. I don't usually expect much from bands signed to Metropolis, and they basically met my expectations. The song they played before the vocalist showed up was more interesting than everything that followed. The synth player was definitely the highlight (hoping he gets to move on to a better band) but despite the lame lyrics, the vocalist was at least being energetic and trying to engage the audience, doing things ranging from running through the crowd with a flashlight, standing on people's table while singing, popping out through the front door to sing to the smokers, and snuggling up next to girls in the audience. Sadly, it was just kind of bland overall; if you're going to have a dumb name just for the initials LSD, why not sound like something inspired by LSD?
Quote from the vocalist: "Who here is ready for Thrill Kill Kult? *audience cheers * Too bad, you'll have to put up with us for another half-hour."

Then there was Thrill Kill Kult. Great video footage for the first few songs, then that faded out. They had a Sexplosion prop area set up off to the side, with a bartender in a devil mask serving one of the blonde Bomb Gang Girlz before she joined in with back-up vocals. After going through basically every hit I was hoping for (no 'Ride the Mindway', unsurprisingly) they came back onstage for an encore after the audience chanted their name for five minutes to play 'Kooler Than Jesus'.
Groovie was very cool after the show, signing stuff and posing for photos. He seemed kind of tired, but I couldn't tell whether it was from drugs, the performance, or from still being in TKK after all these years. The rest of the band vanished almost immediately after the encore, though I snagged a signature from Mimi the amazingly bored-looking bassist.
I heard a story about Thrill Kill Kult being thrown out of a goth club following a show (they played a rock club nearby) in Dallas after taking over the DJ booth and playing C&C Music Factory. And I think Groovie rolling around on the floor possibly tripping contributed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTGrV58wec

^ This actually looks quite industrial, now that I look at it!

And Left Spine Down. Yeah. I appreciate the energy and like the image, I suppose. The music is kinda bland, (okay, "X-Ray" rocks) and I'm not sure I can think of the word except that it seems contrived. I don't have a problem with things being contrived (I listen to industrial music, for one), but it sounds like they're trying not to sound contrived while being very much that.

Also let's share witch house:

http://vlhll.bandcamp.com/album/g-s-s-of-n-qu

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I saw Left Spine Down open for ohGr on this short list of dates in support of unDeveloped. Do they still do the Joy Division cover, complete with seizure-esque Ian Curtis dancing?

Also, I think they keyboardist was in or has done some work with FLA, so there's that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

I saw Left Spine Down open for ohGr on this short list of dates in support of unDeveloped. Do they still do the Joy Division cover, complete with seizure-esque Ian Curtis dancing?

Also, I think they keyboardist was in or has done some work with FLA, so there's that.

The keyboardist is Jeremy Inkel, who is a current studio and touring member of FLA. And maybe also Delerium.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I honestly couldn't decipher any of the lyrics, even when the vocalist was singing through a megaphone into the microphone, but I think I would have recognized a Joy Division bassline if it had appeared. From the 'Caution Crime Scene Do Not Cross' guitar-strap and Caution-tape videos in the background, they really seemed to be plugging their new album, which Wikipedia identifies as 'Caution'.

Checking their Wikipedia page also revealed that the singer goes by the name kAINE D3L4Y.

Oh, and at one point Jeremy Inkel put on a Rocky mask. Just for the fun of it, I guess.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Darthemed posted:

I honestly couldn't decipher any of the lyrics, even when the vocalist was singing through a megaphone into the microphone, but I think I would have recognized a Joy Division bassline if it had appeared. From the 'Caution Crime Scene Do Not Cross' guitar-strap and Caution-tape videos in the background, they really seemed to be plugging their new album, which Wikipedia identifies as 'Caution'.
Does it have a Parental Advisory: Explicit Content sticker on it?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If only.
They do have this :krad: Flickr photostream, though.

I'm kind of curious why, out of all the icons they could have picked to plaster all over their instruments and props, they went with caution tape. I'd like to think it's because the guitarist thought his new strap was just too cool to keep to himself.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Gushing Granny posted:

What's Industrial like these days? The last time I followed it was about late 2010. I still bought Covenant and And One's new album (yes, I know they're not Industrial), but thought they both left something to be desired. Any great new or newish releases?
If you like the harder stuff I have some recent albums to recommend.

Little known band (so far, but they will be huge) Chrysalide have released two amazing albums: Lost In A Lost World in 2007 and Don't Be Scared, It's About Life in 2011.

New Decree album in 2011 (Fateless). It's amazing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So the Gothsicles are doing one of those downloadable things for donations drives.

More stuff unlocks when we hit various thresholds and the top donator gets free Gothsicles downloads for life.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Did someone post about Seabound and Ivardensphere playing at Resistanz next year? Because that's pretty awesome.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Did someone post about Seabound and Ivardensphere playing at Resistanz next year? Because that's pretty awesome.

Seabound definitely are but I didn't see Ivardensphere on their website the last time I looked.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Now that Naghavi is ending And One, it'll be interesting to see where the dude ends up. I can't imagine him giving up on making music, that's all the man has done since he was like 18 or something. Personally I wouldn't mind him exploiting his lighthearted side more. Funny And One = best And One :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So I've been listening to Tactical Neural Implant a bunch lately. Any recommendations for similar-sounding stuff?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Puntification posted:

Seabound definitely are but I didn't see Ivardensphere on their website the last time I looked.

It was on their Facebook yesterday - that seems to get the news out before the website updates

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It was on their Facebook yesterday - that seems to get the news out before the website updates

Oh OK cool.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
New Dead When I Found Her album is out and it's really good. A lot more chill than his first album. I definitely recommend giving it a listen.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The Birthday Massacre apparently have a new album out today, Hide and Seek. I've not gotten it yet, but I will. I've been pretty happy with most of their stuff so far.

edit:
Actually, they put some stuff up on SoundCloud

deong fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 9, 2012

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pope Guilty posted:

So I've been listening to Tactical Neural Implant a bunch lately. Any recommendations for similar-sounding stuff?

Listen to the FLA albums that came out until 2003/05. There's only like 20 or so. And there's also this, which I might have gotten from this thread...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUXaWA9vFw

and it's different, but 242's gently caress up evil and evil off albums are of the time and might be interesting if you haven't heard them.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I'm a massive Zentriert Ins Antlitz fan so yeah, you'll get big thumbs up from me there. So far they can do no wrong.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
pretty much anything with hellraiser samples, you'll be ok.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Konstruct posted:

New Dead When I Found Her album is out and it's really good. A lot more chill than his first album. I definitely recommend giving it a listen.

drat good stuff. Even more darker and thematic than the last album. A little more experimental than the last too, with tracks like 'Doll Parts' really drifting into more free-form structure and sequence...

Pope Guilty posted:

... and speaking of which, mix SP - Cleanse Fold & Manipulate with FLA - Tactical Neural Implant and you've got a good chunk of the sound Dead When I Found Her goes for. Only with really strong modern production values.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Does the new Dead When I Found Her sound mostly like New Age of Reason that was on the review on idieyoudie? That track pretty much killed any interest I had.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

W424 posted:

Does the new Dead When I Found Her sound mostly like New Age of Reason that was on the review on idieyoudie? That track pretty much killed any interest I had.

Nah, New Age of Reason was definitely the most pop oriented track on the album in my opinion. The album actually reminds me a lot of Too Dark Park in tone.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Konstruct posted:

Too Dark Park

I'll have to check it out then. Better not be a Wintermute.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

e: Misinterpreted, so random content.

Supposedly Puppy was supposed to be announcing a tour for the slightly above mediocre Handover right about now, but that is probably not happening. Especially since Metropolis has already released a live album from the last tour where the gently caress is my limited edition Vinyl?. Random announcement on litany says that they're all back in the studio working on releases from "all the projects" involved ...

So, maybe new Download and platEAU, more Puppy, and who knows ...

the Download and plaTEAU don't excite me that much since the last Vault released from those two were almost indistinguishable from each other. New Tear Garden would be nice if it wasn't a mail order collaboration. As for Puppy ... I'd rather have a live tour at this point. :(

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 10, 2012

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

Supposedly Puppy was supposed to be announcing a tour for the slightly above mediocre awesome Handover

Fixed that for ya.

Personally I'd rather a tour as well. The last few releases from Cevin's side projects, while being really good sonically, were kinda repetitive as it seems he's going more for dance-oriented music as opposed to wtf soundscapes and experimental music. The non-vocal tracks on Bananasloth being the best and most groundbreaking.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Fixed that for ya.

A man after my own heart :allears: This made me realize I haven't listened to the album in way too long. Putting that poo poo on right now.

Also I really need to get Rag Doll Blues, I loving loved Harm's Way. Probably would have to place that somewhere in the top 20 of my favorite albums of all time.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 10, 2012

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Personally I'd rather a tour as well. The last few releases from Cevin's side projects, while being really good sonically, were kinda repetitive as it seems he's going more for dance-oriented music as opposed to wtf soundscapes and experimental music. The non-vocal tracks on Bananasloth being the best and most groundbreaking.

I enjoyed it more than Mythmaker, but I thought it lacked a certain sense of cohesion maybe? There are some standout tracks, but I just don't find myself returning to it that often. Still, Puppy have always been a fall/winter band for me so maybe I'll give it another listen this weekend.

I was excited about the possibility of hearing some of it live though. I really hope a tour pans out again before they say "gently caress it, we're done." Speaking of live, if any of you lot never bothered to pick up that live album they released you absolutely should.

I'm with you on the Download and platEAU stuff. For me the latter always seemed to be more beat and dance oriented, but the earlier stuff is a little more entertaining than the flat out OONZT OONZT OOZNT of that last album.

I'd love love love to see Key collaborate with some of the Dots again in studio and make another Last Man to Fly. Hell, bring Ogre back and revisit the magic of "You and me and rainbows."

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I'm totally in love with Hirsute Pursuit at the moment. This is the sexiest music ever made basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN40oAfzf_4

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Loving the new Dead When I Found Her.

For the guy who is looking for something like Tactical Neural Implant FLA, early Haujobb has a kind of similar vibe - "Homes and Gardens," as well as "Freeze Frame Reality" might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Sorry, don't have anything more current or obscure.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I appreciate it. :D

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I think everything about Handover *ASIDE* from the music was mediocre.

- The artwork, while I adore everything SRG, looked really dialed in. Like he read the word Handover and took it literally. Not terrible but not amazing like previous albums.

- The release date and marketing was in oblivion. The album got little hype, little hope, little word. An anti-climatic release thanks to the business side of it.

- The promo photos looked like back-yard cosplay. I blame the photographer, as they are the ones who either make you look badass or foolish. You can tell they were like "Eh. Face paint eh. Ok stand there. Look there. Now look over there. Done." They did not share whatever vision Ogre and Cevin were going for.

- No tour. No lyrics. No major intensity built up as the albums usually would. No real controversy (aside from it taking months and months to be released)

The *music* however was probably their least conventional, mainstream, or accessible album since Last Rights and deserved alot better.

CAT rear end now!!! ya for sure check out Rag Doll Blues I can pretty much guarantee you'll like it if you dug Harms Way.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Hedenius posted:

I'm totally in love with Hirsute Pursuit at the moment. This is the sexiest music ever made basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN40oAfzf_4

They could have a super sexy music video if Boyd Rice would keep his loving shirt on.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

cheapandugly posted:

They could have a super sexy music video if Boyd Rice would keep his loving shirt on.
He looks like neo-folk's Garrison Keillor.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Anybody ever been to Milk in Denver? What's the vibe like?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Konstruct posted:

Wow, that is a really good album. That's probably the first album I've heard taking the old school Mind era Skinny Puppy sound and doing something interesting with it without just sounding like a cheap knockoff. Still not enough funky slap bass though.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 15, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

boo_radley posted:

Anybody ever been to Milk in Denver? What's the vibe like?

Milk is decent. 1 side is dark wave or what ever. 80's, depeche mode, New order etc. The other us like the basement at the church. Future pop, industrial, goth rock.

I've been a few times, never ran into drama. It's the usual 'goth' crowd in Denver. A lot of familiar faces if you hit any of the shows.

Oh yea, and I think Wed night has no cover. I saw something on their Facebook.

deong fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 15, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Any new Ogre is good Ogre.

TheVenetian
Jul 26, 2007

I saw The Break Up and Suicide Commando in Seattle on Monday. Both groups did an excellent job working the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Never gotten into Project Pitchfork for some reason but have been buying the Santa Hates You albums since the side project was started. New album one is a bit more .. serious in tone, or at least a bit more political. Which is kinda weird. Still catchy as all hell though.