Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
If this is too much let me know and I'll delete it, but I really wanted to post the entire fight.

From West Coast Avengers #5: The West Coast Avengers try (and possibly succeed) to kill Werewolf By Night. Enjoy!

Things I love about this:

1) Iron Man goes out like a chump.
2) Hawkeye in unquestionably trying to kill him here. First with a Silver Arrow and then when he sets him on fire.
3) Multiple people try to set him on fire.
4) Mockingbird is an utter badass.
5) Jack Russel's expression on the first page and the fact that someone thought him regressing to a dogs base instincts (i.e. trying to hump Tigra at all costs) was ever a good idea.
6) "SKREEEECH! I hate this!"
7) The fact that there's a Suffragette City joke for no reason and that it relies on onomatopoeia, so if you were actually there it would make no sense at all.
8) Werewolf by Night looks very much dead in the last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think the best part you didn't mention is the douchebag in the last panel insisting that Hulk and Thor aren't real people. Check your non-divine un-mutated privilege, dude.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think the best part you didn't mention is the douchebag in the last panel insisting that Hulk and Thor aren't real people. Check your non-divine un-mutated privilege, dude.

Yeah, that's also good. Almost as good as this panel from WCA #3:

Or this one from the same issue:

I'm not sure which one I like better, but a running theme seems to be treating people as less than people for almost no loving reason.

Here's a fun game for that first panel: Try to figure out which "Black Guy" he's talking about. Luke Cage was in New York at the time. Black Panther was in Wakanda. Ready? Go!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MelvinTheJerk posted:

1) Iron Man goes out like a chump.

This is almost a running joke in Avengers comics at least into the early '90s. You could probably put together a megapost of "Iron Man gets beaten way too easily".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Things I love about this:

9) RANCH!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

His name is loving Jack Russell? That causes me physical pain.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Wendell posted:

You're not the first.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MelvinTheJerk posted:

2) Hawkeye in unquestionably trying to kill him here. First with a Silver Arrow and then when he sets him on fire.

If there's one thing I've learned reading A vs X and a lot of Hawkeye's other appearances, it's that he is like, the first Avenger to go for a killshot. He probably reaches into his quiver, realizes he's running low, and is like "Welp, gotta end this quick before I look real useless..."

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

TwoPair posted:

If there's one thing I've learned reading A vs X and a lot of Hawkeye's other appearances, it's that he is like, the first Avenger to go for a killshot. He probably reaches into his quiver, realizes he's running low, and is like "Welp, gotta end this quick before I look real useless..."

Think about his fight with Werewolf by Night. He tried arguably the only two things that he could have used to stop him: A silver arrow through the heart and then he set him on fire. If the fight went any longer and it was just up to him, he would have likely been hosed. So yeah, Hawkeye is very much a "It was him or me" type of character.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Here's a fun game for that first panel: Try to figure out which "Black Guy" he's talking about. Luke Cage was in New York at the time. Black Panther was in Wakanda. Ready? Go!

Wasn't a superhero. Just the city's resident black guy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TwoPair posted:

He straight up paralyzed a guy from the neck down in the second issue of the new series. His partner blinded someone by shooting their eyes out with arrows. Not subtle at all.

Which makes me question the "no killing" rule he has in Secret Avengers, where he teams up with Venom and Valkyrie. I guess he didn't technically kill anyone in his series.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

This is almost a running joke in Avengers comics at least into the early '90s. You could probably put together a megapost of "Iron Man gets beaten way too easily".

Well in WCA it makes sense as he is not Tony but Jim Rhodes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Well in WCA it makes sense as he is not Tony but Jim Rhodes

Nope, that's Tony Stark. Rhodey never wore the "Silver Centurion" armor. This was the armor that was the first Tony had worn since giving the job to Rhodey[1] -- he used it in Iron Man #200 to beat Obadiah Stane[2]. And he was pretending to not be Tony Stark at the beginning of WCA, although that didn't last too long.

[1] Not technically the first since giving the job to Rhodey. He had to put on an old set briefly to help Rhodey, who was having mental problems as a side effect of wearing the suit.

[2] Iron Man #200 wasn't published until after West Coast Avengers got started, but it's one of those "the events in this issue occur before West Coast Avengers #1" situations.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 4, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Nope, that's Tony Stark.

Never mind just remembered that was only in the miniseries

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 4, 2012

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

bobkatt013 posted:

Never mind just remembered that was only in the miniseries

Rhodey was more badass and competent as Iron Man in the mini series than Tony was for the first chunk of WCA.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MelvinTheJerk posted:

7) The fact that there's a Suffragette City joke for no reason and that it relies on onomatopoeia, so if you were actually there it would make no sense at all.

I spent five minutes looking for the wrong lyrics :suicide:

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Phy posted:

I spent five minutes looking for the wrong lyrics :suicide:

But you found it and that's the important thing!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Codependent Poster posted:

The panel from that Avengers Academy issue with Quicksilver and Warbird having just been tased is good too.

Also, "Don't tase me, Jo!"
Also, "It's official. This is the greatest day of my life."

(The whole issue was just awesome. :allears:)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Bill Foster, as Black Goliath? He hung out in LA back around the Champions era.

...I don't have a great panel handy so I'll go with how to win an insult war.

(Flaming Carrot #19)

V---"And today he has accepted his destiny." Yeah, cancer, caused by the guy he's confronting!

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 4, 2012

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Here's a fun game for that first panel: Try to figure out which "Black Guy" he's talking about.

How could you guys forget Bill Foster? The man died a hero!

Black Goliath #1

Edit: Bonus, since delfin beat me to it while I was looking for a Black Goliath image that mentioned LA.

Bill Foster beating up a retarded manchild (Nuklo) so he can feel better about himself:

Marvel Two-In-One #55

Servoret fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 4, 2012

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Black Goliath was out of Los Angeles by the time West Coast Avengers #3 came out.

Black Goliath first shows up with Luke Cage. Then he gets his own series in 1976. At the end of the series he's lost his powers and nearly died.

He has a weird one off appearence in a Marvel Two in One is 1979, but it just seems like someone forgot he didn't have any powers.

West Coast Avengers #3 is out 8 years later. Black Goliath is someone no one has thought about in a long time.

In the West Coast Avengers annual #3, which came out in 1988, Black Goliath has a story line where he gets his powers back.

So it can't be Black Goliath. Any other guesses?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unfit For Space posted:

How could you guys forget Bill Foster? The man died a hero!

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/ (issue 4, page 17)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Why can't it be Black Goliath? His career wasn't eight years before that in Marvel time, and I really doubt he held a press conference when he retired. Steve Englehart was out of comics for about that time interval, so maybe he just didn't realize the character was inactive before he wrote the annual.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wendell posted:

Now think about why Wonderman could be quoting Elvis in the last panel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Breetai posted:

Avengers Acadamy 38.

Look at that fuzzy tail.

Look at it. :3:

Is that the robot Ultron made, Jocasta? Good lord does Marvel never abandon a character? I remember that issue from around the time Star Wars came out.

Seeing Black Goliath reminded me of one of the worse, Dragon Man style villains: Stilt Man!

Excuse me while I rip off your helmet and punch you in the face!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

If this is too much let me know and I'll delete it, but I really wanted to post the entire fight.

From West Coast Avengers #5: The West Coast Avengers try (and possibly succeed) to kill Werewolf By Night. Enjoy!

So is there a reason why Werewolf-by-night looks like some kind of red Krampus here instead of anything resembling a werewolf?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

The thing I love about this is how Wonder Man practically solos the fight. (Okay, yes, the others get their licks in, but it's Wonder Man who basks in the limelight at the end.) As one of the five people in the world who actually liked Wonder Man, that means something to me. :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Black Goliath was out of Los Angeles by the time West Coast Avengers #3 came out.

So it can't be Black Goliath. Any other guesses?

Was it Battlestar? I bet it was.

EDIT: Comedy Answer - Brother Voodoo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Is that the robot Ultron made, Jocasta? Good lord does Marvel never abandon a character? I remember that issue from around the time Star Wars came out.

Hooo boy, sounds like you missed the every Jocasta development since then. It's hilariously messy.

In Greek myth Jocasta was Oedipus's mother/wife, and robo-Jocasta does a good job of living up to that name. Created by Ultron, she's Hank Pym's sorta-granddaugter, and animated by the brain waves of Hank Pym's (currently MIA) wife. Jocasta is currently married to Ultron and in a relationship with Hank Pym via a remote-controlled body.
:stonk:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No, Pym's dating Tigra now. He WAS boinking his robo-granddaughter... :suicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot that Pym and Tigra have a son now. Sort of.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Was it Battlestar? I bet it was.

EDIT: Comedy Answer - Brother Voodoo.

I've actually thought about it a bit, and the only two conclusions I can come up with (Due to the surprising lack of black heroes in Los Angeles during this time) is:

1) He just saw a black guy, loved the novelty of it, and assumed he was a super hero.

2) It was Shroud.

There he is perving on Jessica Drew. So he's this blind guy who worked with Spider-Woman while she was in Los Angeles as a Private Investigator. He was also in the WCA Mini.

His gimmick?

He was a hero pretending to be a crime boss to get in close with the underworld. Until, of course, The West Coast Avengers ruined it and blew his cover.

So there you go. A black guy, or at least a guy whose costume is head to toe the color black.

OR!

3) That dude in the car is just a straight up racist.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I'm kind of surprised that this cover was allowed in 1976! Action Comics #466

Superman's forgotten power: turning secret identity emergencies into DC house ads! Action Comics #477

Oh no! Lex Luthor appears to have de-aged Flash and Batman... But how to be really sure it's them? Action Comics #465

They have a what lighthouse? :psyduck: Action Comics #464

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good job Superman, you've blinded everyone in the room.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

techknight posted:

I'm kind of surprised that this cover was allowed in 1976! Action Comics #466

Actually a really solid plan! Go Lex!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I've actually thought about it a bit, and the only two conclusions I can come up with (Due to the surprising lack of black heroes in Los Angeles during this time) is:

1) He just saw a black guy, loved the novelty of it, and assumed he was a super hero.

2) It was Shroud.

There he is perving on Jessica Drew. So he's this blind guy who worked with Spider-Woman while she was in Los Angeles as a Private Investigator. He was also in the WCA Mini.

His gimmick?

He was a hero pretending to be a crime boss to get in close with the underworld. Until, of course, The West Coast Avengers ruined it and blew his cover.

So there you go. A black guy, or at least a guy whose costume is head to toe the color black.

OR!

3) That dude in the car is just a straight up racist.

I like that he was perving on the first Spider-woman and later hooked up with the second one. Like it's his thing.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

techknight posted:

They have a what lighthouse? :psyduck: Action Comics #464

I really like to imagine Superman's lighthouse-head spinning 360-degrees while blinding white light pours from his eyes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing I love about this is how Wonder Man practically solos the fight. (Okay, yes, the others get their licks in, but it's Wonder Man who basks in the limelight at the end.) As one of the five people in the world who actually liked Wonder Man, that means something to me. :v:

Just out of interest, would this have been before or after the Jim Shooter run on Avengers where Wonder Man was perpetually crippled by his self-doubt and fear of dying (again)?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Just out of interest, would this have been before or after the Jim Shooter run on Avengers where Wonder Man was perpetually crippled by his self-doubt and fear of dying (again)?

This is definitely in the near vicinity of that. Then Simon gets over his self-doubt and becomes an enormous rear end in a top hat with a horrific costume.

(This picture actually makes it look not-so-bad. I never cared for the art in West Coast Avengers; it all looked unpleasant to me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

This is definitely in the near vicinity of that. Then Simon gets over his self-doubt and becomes an enormous rear end in a top hat with a horrific costume.

(This picture actually makes it look not-so-bad. I never cared for the art in West Coast Avengers; it all looked unpleasant to me.)

I don't have the comic anymore, but there was some funny stuff in that arc:

1) Wonder man starts trying to one up iron man all the time as a result of his increased confidence.
2) The two of them race into space chasing a fleeing villain.
3) Wonder man's jets fail in orbit (because they are jets, Iron Man has rockets).
4) Wonder man plummets to earth, and then gets mad at Iron Man for coming back to save him.
5) Next issue, Wonder man gets a better costume and learns humility after getting hurt in a one on one with abomination.

• Locked thread