Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Cosmic Afro posted:

I meant to preorder the DVD box, but money is rather tight this month, alas.

And the price went up from 40 to 52 in amazon.ca. Sadness.

How much was it for amazon.com?

I preordered back in July and got it for $42 shipped, but the price fluctuates a lot between $45 and $60. Put it in the cart or on your wish list and you can watch for sales.

Also, holy poo poo the TV Nihon subs are even more terrible than I thought. Even the Kotaku subs are better. I really appreciate the work the SAGCCX team puts into their releases, and I'm also thankful Discotek put out a really good product. Every GCCX fan should buy this set.

The only quibble I have with it is how they did the layered disc trays and omitted an actual list of contents for each disc, but that's already been mentioned. Everything else is really well done. I watched disc one last night and had a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:
Has anybody else noticed, going by the OP's episode list, how close we are to having all of the first eight seasons translated (skipping [CX])? Of the 69 episodes, there's only three left to be released in some form:

 ● #35 - Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
  ● As far as we know, still being used as a class translation project somewhere. Has repeatedly been described as boring and low-priority.

 ● #52 - Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
  ● Clover recently released #34 (Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for MD/Genesis), so it'll probably be okay if we don't see paper-thin armour for a while.

 ● #63 - Mendel Palace
  ● This one sounds interesting; it's the first ever Game Freak/Satoshi Tajiri game, and it's apparently squishy-pig-balls-to-the-wall hard.

This observation shouldn't change SAGCCX's priorities; if they feel that there's more interesting episodes they should release first, then it's a safe bet we'll appreciate them working on those instead. As always, big thanks to everyone involved in these releases, and may your momentum someday carry you all the way to the Good Ending known as "fully translated".

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

McLaglen posted:

Has anybody else noticed, going by the OP's episode list, how close we are to having all of the first eight seasons translated (skipping [CX])? Of the 69 episodes, there's only three left to be released in some form:

 ● #35 - Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
  ● As far as we know, still being used as a class translation project somewhere. Has repeatedly been described as boring and low-priority.

 ● #52 - Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
  ● Clover recently released #34 (Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for MD/Genesis), so it'll probably be okay if we don't see paper-thin armour for a while.

 ● #63 - Mendel Palace
  ● This one sounds interesting; it's the first ever Game Freak/Satoshi Tajiri game, and it's apparently squishy-pig-balls-to-the-wall hard.

This observation shouldn't change SAGCCX's priorities; if they feel that there's more interesting episodes they should release first, then it's a safe bet we'll appreciate them working on those instead. As always, big thanks to everyone involved in these releases, and may your momentum someday carry you all the way to the Good Ending known as "fully translated".

Zarigani says that she wants to do Mendel Palace soon because of the GameFreak Interview. Look for the sub coming soon.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I'm glad people find my impromptu Japanese lessons interesting. But I'll still try my best to keep it to a minimum and keep it GCCX-related. (If I had the time it'd be neat to do some sort of "let's learn Japanese with GCCX" blog...)

It's now October 5th in Japan, which is both Producer Kan's birthday (America's most common date of birth!) and the airdate for GCCX in Asia. Looking forward to this special. Trip episodes are always great.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 5, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are they actually calling it Game Center CX in Asia?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Are they actually calling it Game Center CX in Asia?

They called the last one Game Center CX in USA so I guess that's the format they're going for with their two hour specials.

I'm hoping that this is now a yearly thing. Next October they could air Game Center CX in Australia or something like that...

I can't wait to see Arino in a Cambodian game competition. I don't even know what games they play in Cambodian competitions. Fighting games? FPS? Maybe Starcraft?

I found footage of a related event. Not the one Arino took part in but probably the same type of competition from the same organizers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GliFXup11TY

After watching that footage I've got to say there's no way that this special is not going to turn out to be spectacular.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 5, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I'm hoping that this is now a yearly thing. Next October they could air Game Center CX in Australia or something like that...

AP Ishida wrote on Twitter that in Miyazaki prefecture she ran into an Arino fan from New Zealand. Said fan said they "learned about the show online." (Not Australian, I know, but close distance-wise!)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm from New Zealand! But our arcades are loving terrible!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I got the DVDs today and ended up watching most of the Ninja Gaiden episode (I stopped at the beginning of the second day where Arino got to the final boss' second form) just to test it. I'm really digging zari's subs over the Kotaku ones.

Like someone else mentioned, I do wish they listed which episodes were on each disc so you don't have to remember or check each one to find a specific episode, but that's a really minor complaint that I'm sure they will fix in (hopefully, if this is as popular as I think it will be going by the pre-orders and early sales) future DVD sets. :)

Also, thank you guys again for translating the cut segments from the broadcasts. Some of those segments are actually pretty entertaining and interesting like the TamaGe from yesterday where they went to that old guy's garage.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
An issue I've noticed with the subtitles, aside from the 'a little italics italicizes the whole line' issue, is that on widescreen episodes, the subtitles are stretched horizontally. It's an easy mistake to make, I think: the video's encoded at 720x480 and then resized either to 640x480 or to 853x480 depending on the desired aspect ratio. So the people making the subtitles probably didn't realize they needed to make the font skinnier or something for the widescreen episodes. Compare these two screenshots:

There's also a problem with the pixelated font used for some subtitles; it's not properly sized to avoid clunky pixel sizes. For example:

Note the weird proportions of the letters. I don't know if this is because a poorly-formatted graphic overlay is being used or because text subtitling didn't use the right point size; if the latter, folks doing hardsubbing probably want to point-resize the video up to 4x or something, add the subtitles, then bilinear-resize it back down. And presumably people are hardsubbing for their own use and not to hand out to a bunch of people instead of having them buy the DVDs, riiiiight? :v:

I encourage everyone who wants this to buy it, and it is worth buying—but if our demand gets a volume 2 put out, hopefully these issues will be addressed!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

FredMSloniker posted:

An issue I've noticed with the subtitles, aside from the 'a little italics italicizes the whole line' issue, is that on widescreen episodes, the subtitles are stretched horizontally.

I too noticed this, but I felt like the situation was the reverse. The fonts look better/normal for the widescreen episodes to me. On the 4:3 episodes the font looks really tight and narrow. Look at the letter "o"... In the 16:9 eps, it's round, but in the 4:3 eps it's an ellipse.

FredMSloniker posted:

And presumably people are hardsubbing for their own use and not to hand out to a bunch of people instead of having them buy the DVDs, riiiiight? :v:

I'm hardsubbing them because there's no scenario in which I can picture myself ever watching them without subtitles, nor is there a scenario in which I can picture myself swapping stupid plastic discs to watch a video on the one device in the house that can play stupid plastic discs anymore.

Random Stranger posted:

It's all coming. One day at a time.
That's excellent, thank you.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 5, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FredMSloniker posted:

And presumably people are hardsubbing for their own use and not to hand out to a bunch of people instead of having them buy the DVDs, riiiiight? :v:

Do people even watch DVDs anymore? I mean thats a stupid question, of course they do, but do people in the SA demographic (well to do white nerds who are on the internet too much) even watch DVDs anymore? Im going to rip mine immediately (when I learn how) just so that my folder with all my arinos can be more complete.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Meme Emulator posted:

Do people even watch DVDs anymore? I mean thats a stupid question, of course they do, but do people in the SA demographic (well to do white nerds who are on the internet too much) even watch DVDs anymore? Im going to rip mine immediately (when I learn how) just so that my folder with all my arinos can be more complete.

I do. I just watched some of my AVGN dvds the other day. I watched the extended lotr dvds a few weeks back. I don't rip them because of :effort: , lack of shitloads of hard drive space (if its already in a format half my viewing devices can watch, and its portable, why do it in my case), and I'm a guy who collects little plastic cartridges to play on my little plastic boxes on my old tv, so I'm used to storing and keeping physical media because if the good old fashioned what if.

And just to make it clear I'm not one of those people who still regularly watches tapes (i do on rare occasions, but...) I have a lot of stuff that is in digital format, I stream video quite a lot, and I do rip some dvds. But if I can watch these on my computer, main tv, and at most of my friends houses, then I don't feel the need to rip it. But if you don't have a convenient dvd player of any sort, then your solution works great for you.

tl;dr - I use dvds, just because somethings old, doesn't make it useless.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As I work on my own hardsubbing project, I note two more pieces of info about the DVD:
  • The subtitles are graphic overlays, so there's no way to fix proportions or the italics issue. It's annoying that they didn't permit the GCCXSA team to set up overlays. EDIT: If you prefer the wider subtitles, you could pad the video on the sides, apply the subtitles, then cut off the padding. If my math is right, adding 120 pixels on each side (for a 960x480 image) would do the trick. Similarly, if you prefer the narrower subtitles, crop the video to 540x480, apply the subtitles, then overlay the result in the center of the original frame. Fair warning: this will affect the placement of any non-centered subtitles.
  • There's the interlacing issue that comes of taking a movie standard ~24 FPS and converting it to NTSC ~30 FPS. It's fixable, but it's an extra step if that sort of thing bothers you. Since DVDs do support ~24 FPS, this is mainly annoying because the space consumed by the interlaced frames could have been used to improve the quality of the image.
Again, these issues don't make me regret buying the DVD, but they're things I hope will be fixed for a second volume!

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 5, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

I encourage everyone who wants this to buy it, and it is worth buying—but if our demand gets a volume 2 put out, hopefully these issues will be addressed!

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a volume 2. If it happens, I'll definitely let Discotek know about these issues. This set was released on an extremely tight schedule so I expected a few parts that could use improvement. I'm just glad that so far they're only minor cosmetic issues (asides from the packaging).

Heads up: my schedule is pretty packed for the next two months so don't be surprised if our releases slow down. But hey, you have the DVDs to tide you over, right?

I'm curious about people's opinions on the Shiren the Wanderer episode. Of all the challenges the Japanese fandom considers to be the worst, it's the first one to be subbed.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What else is bad (according to 2ch, or wherever these lists are being assembled)? Princess Tomato has been mentioned a lot and I seem to remember someone saying Super Gussun Oyoyo was a crappy ep even tho the game looks pretty tight.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Whoever said that was wrong. Arino shoving toddlers around with giant bricks never stopped being funny. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

What else is bad (according to 2ch, or wherever these lists are being assembled)? Princess Tomato has been mentioned a lot and I seem to remember someone saying Super Gussun Oyoyo was a crappy ep even tho the game looks pretty tight.

Princess Tomato, Shiren the Wanderer, and Ocarina of Time are brought up the most often. I'm the one who's not a fan of the Super Gussun Oyoyo ep. I wouldn't call it bad, it's just never held my interest. Never come up in any "worst episodes" discussion though.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
Got mine!

I actually enjoy the Retro Game Master versions -- the ones with the English narrator. I think the "Iron Chef" vibe works really well for the show.

Only problem is it looks like they didn't get the original editing assets because, just like the Kotaku versions, the narrator simply talks while the master volume is dropped. It's a little disconcerting because you can still hear the Japanese narration behind him and the music also cuts out pretty harshly.

I'm surprised to find that all the interstitial music is still present in the Japanese audio track though. Is licensing an issue? I assumed the wanton use of music was the reason the extra segments aren't present, but I could be wrong.

Overall I feel like the English dubs on the DVD feel a lot more natural, but it's (of course) still not as charming as the full show.

The games play silky smooth though! It's like buffing my eyes with silk.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So the special airs in ~2 hours? Finally, living in Europe pays off.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
I received my DVD's yesterday, and it is very nice to be able to watch the KOTAK episodes with subtitles, especially for the other staff and text on the screen.

At last I know what Arino's "funny note" in Wing of Madoola says!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

I'm curious about people's opinions on the Shiren the Wanderer episode. Of all the challenges the Japanese fandom considers to be the worst, it's the first one to be subbed.

Really? I didn't think the Shiren challenge was too bad - not one of the best but certainly not one of the worst. I did think it was a little cruel that they didn't tell him sooner about the Melding and Storehouse Jars, but then again he wasn't really remembering to make use of the Storehouse Jar in the first place. Maybe they didn't want to subject him to having to play through over and over and slowly building up a powerful weapon/armor like Emoto ended up having to do. BTW, if nothing else I laughed pretty hard at Arino's reaction to Emoto making backup copies of the save file.

When people mention worst challenges, I'm surprised Fatal Fury Special doesn't get mentioned more often. I'm very familiar with the game, the CPU opponents in that game are incredibly cheap and will continually counter most everything you do. It was a sure sign that the game was a bad choice that they ended up having to change the challenge's goal because Arino clearly stood no chance at clearing it. Which also got me thinking... the real kicker is that on a Neo-Geo home system, the game does not give you infinite credits, it only gives you 4 credits. You use 1 to start the game, and then 3 continues. When the challenge was changed to beating the hidden boss Ryo, they pointed out that Nakayama had a memory card and he would be using that to advance the game to that point. The memory card lets you save at the last stage you reached, which effectively gives you infinite credits. No mention was made of the memory card beforehand, so one can only assume that Arino was not allowed to use it and was expected to somehow clear the game on the default 4 credits. Imagine if he didn't have unlimited continues for Street Fighter II - didn't he end up using around ~90 continues? Obviously Nakayama chose the game because he's a Neo-Geo/fighting game fan and there had been no Neo challenges yet (and he probably wanted to show off a little), but... the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. Then again I didn't really enjoy the SF2 episode as much as other people seemed to either, I think it's just hard for me to watch people who are bad at fighting games and don't really show any improvement as they play...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I find the cut segment video for Bonanza Bros really awesome since it shows Arino's first encounter (on the show at least, but the way he acted makes me think it really was his first encounter) with Lemmings during the Aces of Hardware Won't Appear segment. He was so baffled when he played it in that segment, but I bet he never imagined that it would end up being one of the most important games in the show's history.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shock Trooper posted:

When people mention worst challenges, I'm surprised Fatal Fury Special doesn't get mentioned more often.

That's one of my picks for worst challenge. OTOH, that episode had an awesome arcade.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I got my DVDs in yesterday and actually watched that one first, since I'd already seen all the others in one form or another.

I think the main problem is that Roguelikes tend to be defined by two things: micromanagement and random chance. Neither of those make for a good challenge. Grinding for XP and better items is essential to win the game, but it's boring as hell to watch. There's also not much visually interesting going on. Due to the turn-based nature, there are no harrowing dodges or close calls. It's all step up, attack, get attacked, rinse, repeat. I think Emoto's support was the high point of the challenge, and it's very telling that he didn't mention most of his work to Arino until after the fact to try to create some tension. If Arino had known about the storehouse and save copying from the beginning, the challenge would have been even worse.

I also agree that the fighting game challenges were pretty bad. Players are expected to memorize combos and practice their timing in order to progress, and Arino isn't given the time or, more importantly, the instruction. When I expressed some interest in the latest Marvel vs. Capcom, a friend sat down with me and showed me some of the standard combos. I never would have figured those out on my own, and I still don't have the muscle memory to pull them off consistently. At least the SF2 episode had the staff tournament. More staff interaction is always better.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
Games that are nigh-impossible for Arino to clear would probably make for poor challenges, like FFS mentioned above. That may be why they've never had a Double Dragon game challenged. Still though, even in the vaunted Battletoads challenge, he had to have AD Takahashi (Cardigan) play up to the point he died so he could continue; they could do that with Double Dragon.

Or, it could be a licensing issue, who knows.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Shock Trooper posted:

When people mention worst challenges, I'm surprised Fatal Fury Special doesn't get mentioned more often.

Actually, the Fatal Fury challenge is brought up pretty often too. Princess Tomato, Shiren and Ocarina are just the top three. I'd say Fatal Fury is a runner-up.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Given the little issues with the subtitles on the DVD, I'm considering making new, text-style subtitles for my personal copy. What fonts do you use for the GCCXSA releases? I'd like to be able to seamlessly integrate the non-challenge scenes, so I want to be able to match it up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OrochiKiyo posted:

Or, it could be a licensing issue, who knows.

It's probably licensing. They've only used one Technos Japan game as a challenge and that was a Nintendo Channel episode. Considering the popularity of their Kunio series it makes it either a huge oversight or there's been licensing issues.

FredMSloniker posted:

Given the little issues with the subtitles on the DVD, I'm considering making new, text-style subtitles for my personal copy. What fonts do you use for the GCCXSA releases? I'd like to be able to seamlessly integrate the non-challenge scenes, so I want to be able to match it up.

We use Verdana for the text.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You may have seen this before but we want to have everything available. So check out the segments for episode 043.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 130.91 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

For segments that are from episodes that you had to pull has anything been retranslated or polished up or are they exactly the same?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm watching the DVD version of the Ninja Gaiden II episode and noticed something. When Ryu gets phantom doubles, the first one looks odd and grey and barely shows up on screen. The second one (when he has two) shows up properly and looks orange like it should. This didn't happen in ShinYaguchi's initial fansub so I assume it's an oddity with the DVD encoding?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hokuto posted:

This didn't happen in ShinYaguchi's initial fansub so I assume it's an oddity with the DVD encoding?

Yep, the first phantom is grey in both my encode and on the DVD raw files. I thought it might have been some sort of deinterlacing artifact, but it's present on the source.

Random Stranger posted:

You may have seen this before but we want to have everything available. So check out the segments for episode 043.

Thanks for this. I'm planning on just keeping my DVD rips plus these separate segments files.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 6, 2012

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Is the right guy suppose to be Abe?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

For segments that are from episodes that you had to pull has anything been retranslated or polished up or are they exactly the same?

There's plans to polish up some of them. This one has not been changed, though.

Grawl posted:

Is the right guy suppose to be Abe?

Yes, that's supposed to be Abe (the text next to his head reads "Cameraman Abe"). No, I don't think it looks like him either.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I noticed something in the Ninja Gaiden 2 DVD sub that I recall being done in the Strider Sub as well. When Arino refers to "Option" attacks, it gets translated as "clone". The term "Option" originates from Gradius and it's a fairly common noun used in games to refer to a remote attack method. Hiryu's panther is called Option, too. I don't think it would be too misleading to use that word in the contexts that Arino uses it in, ie, "I was trying to set up my Option there."

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Hokuto posted:

I noticed something in the Ninja Gaiden 2 DVD sub that I recall being done in the Strider Sub as well. When Arino refers to "Option" attacks, it gets translated as "clone". The term "Option" originates from Gradius and it's a fairly common noun used in games to refer to a remote attack method. Hiryu's panther is called Option, too. I don't think it would be too misleading to use that word in the contexts that Arino uses it in, ie, "I was trying to set up my Option there."

Which would require a translator's note to be really clear and kind of nullifies the point of the localization this team puts so much effort into.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

Hokuto posted:

I recall being done in the Strider Sub as well.

What Strider sub? I looked and I don't have that one.

jadekitten fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 6, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hokuto posted:

I'm not going to give you a final answer on this since zari-gani is going to have better information on why "clone" was used there but I can give you a more general viewpoint.

That use of "option" just isn't very common outside of Japan. The only people I can think of who would use it aren't just the typical video game nerds but the really extreme video game nerds. Clone conveys the same meaning but it's clearer to the vast majority of viewers.

Also, I was concerned that we had subbed Strider and I had forgotten after we did it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
But ninjas use clones. :saddowns: