Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Anyone know how inventory is saved between sessions? Let's say I play with my friend and we stop between chapters-- if I go play another campaign for a while by myself, do we still have our stuff when we resume our playthrough, or does it default to a preset inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I shook him off but missed the super fast command and got shoved right back into the Fan, was shaking the stick expecting to have a round two but nope!

It freaked me out at first but then I imagined a warp pipe sound and suddenly it got hilarious. That and I realized Helena is just standing there watching it all. "I couuuld help buuut."

Yeah, I bet Helena was just standing there as Capcom's version of comedic relief.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Thievery posted:

It was pretty horrific actually :|

edit - Also I think one of my favourite enemies is Raskapalange or whatever that guys called. I loving hate fighting him because he's boring and it's just "spam grenade" over and over, but the sounds he makes are hilarious.

They're essentially this game's version of Regenerators, but the sounds they make aren't freaky as much as they're kinda confusing and silly.
I had one of them kill me while Piers was just standing there. Like, it was doing its stuff on me and Piers is just calmly standing there, looking over his shoulder at the spectacle of it all.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Hooooooooly poo poo. Late Chapter 4, Campaign 4. Shits hosed up.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

They're essentially this game's version of Regenerators, but the sounds they make aren't freaky as much as they're kinda confusing and silly.
I had one of them kill me while Piers was just standing there. Like, it was doing its stuff on me and Piers is just calmly standing there, looking over his shoulder at the spectacle of it all.
Yeah that kind of bugs me. I was just playing as Sherry and a Javo attacked me whilst I was critical and slit my throat. Jake just kinda stood in the background and then screamed out "NOOOOOO!" when the gameover screen appeared.

EDIT: ^Yeah, seriously. I get a little kick now when I see someone posting their first response to that chapter. It was the freakiest loving thing ever because A) it was so unexpected and B) at first I thought it'd just be a rehash of the Excella fight from RE5, but then it went into strange and holy loving poo poo territory :stare:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Just finished the last campaign. Cannot tell you how disappointed I am that Wesker didn't come out of the cocoon.

Loved the game though.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Thanks Leon, for shooting a dynamite zombie right loving next to me as I'm dying. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat! Also, whoever designed the swimming section probably hates kittens.

Everything else has been great, though v:shobon:v

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

Thanks Leon, for shooting a dynamite zombie right loving next to me as I'm dying. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat! Also, whoever designed the swimming section probably hates kittens.

Everything else has been great, though v:shobon:v

Has there ever been a good swimming section in an action game?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Crowetron posted:

It reminded me of the big shell in MGS2 for some reason. I thought i'd hate that part and that boss, but it was actually pretty good.

Mercs related - I think the reason i'm finding it tough is that I have no idea where anything is on the levels and there's no map. I did find out you can shoot the Combo pillars to get combo time though, which was awesome. Still have to melee the normal time ones though :(

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Crowetron posted:

It's been a while, but I'm sure Uncharted 1 had non-lovely swimming in it. This game really, really, wants to be Uncharted, so why couldn't they rip that part of the game off?

edit: ^^^^ Yeah, there you go. You barely had to swim in MGS2, but the controls were actually intuitive.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is local split screen coop in the RE5 style or fullscreen?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Leyburn posted:

I'm getting loving sick of having my partner die during games of mercenaries online. I'm not even that good at it, but I can at least stay the gently caress alive. I've wasted so much time on futile attempts because of these idiots.
[/nerdrage]

I know I'll never get 150 playing solo, but on my first game of mercs, me and the dude I was playing with got 145 so it can't be that hard playing as a duo.

I'm a bit sympathetic for people suddenly dying as it's pretty easy to get steamrolled from four-five squares to zero with some bad luck. A Bloodshot grab interrupted by a Whopper charge is pretty much a death sentence if you're in a throng of enemies. I would like some more leniency on invincibility frames when recovering from attacks/grabs, in all truth. I saw one guy go down and before the bright "your partner is down" flash even begun he was killed by a grab. I've started taking Medic as a skill into most public games, seems to help a little bit.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
As someone who has no way to play RE6, what's the big deal about Chapter 4 Campaign 4?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy moley, finished Leon's campaign. And you tell me there's still more game?

Not to mention, the art design that went into the environments to make them all look totally real and lived-in, even if you only visit them once. Capcom must have spent a SHITLOAD of money on this game.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Jefferoo posted:

As someone who has no way to play RE6, what's the big deal about Chapter 4 Campaign 4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKc4VsI2ag

Didn't watch this myself, but I'm assuming it's what the video title says it is. I'm still trying to avoid spoilers, even though I really can't stand any of these characters now. I guess I'm a bit genre savvy, but in Leon Chapter 2: how the gently caress do Leon and Helena not realize they're going to kill everyone in the loving church?. Am I justified, or is it just me?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Speedball posted:

Holy moley, finished Leon's campaign. And you tell me there's still more game?

Not to mention, the art design that went into the environments to make them all look totally real and lived-in, even if you only visit them once. Capcom must have spent a SHITLOAD of money on this game.

This is exactly how I felt when I finished his campaign. Would have practically been a game in itself if you split it into more sections (like RE5's "1-1, 1-2" etc).

I got sorta good at Mercs once I realised all you have to do is counter literally everything and win it. Got up to a 70 combo when all of a sudden everything was bloodshots and one of them jumped on me and instantly killed me or some poo poo like that.

fun.

edit - ^^^ how could they know what was going to happen when they used those statues! Wasn't really their fault.

edit two - if you want to see just the what the gently caress bit, it's from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKc4VsI2ag&t=1076s onwards. Spoilers!

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Right I got a review copy of this and I'm playing it.

So far I don't see the problem with the controls. they seem pretty sharp and precise, so what am I missing? What specifically are people criticizing? I'm two hours into Leon's campaign.

Anyway the story and the stuff that happens may take a nosedive later for all I know but it CONTROLS just fine.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Agent Hunt makes the game incredible when you're playing as Leon or Helena on Pro.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
So I bought a couple of EX2 costumes from RE.net using my points and, um, do they actually do anything? They're not in my game and they're not in the diorama section, so I'm at a bit of a loss if they do anything at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

So far I don't see the problem with the controls. they seem pretty sharp and precise, so what am I missing? What specifically are people criticizing? I'm two hours into Leon's campaign.

Anyway the story and the stuff that happens may take a nosedive later for all I know but it CONTROLS just fine.

I think the default controls are not really comfortable, but all I did was pop on Laser Sight, and fiddle with the speed a bit and I was fine.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Cellophane S posted:

Everything that's not shooting zombies/J'avo/whatever kinda sucks. Like the swimming section I mentioned up above. Other than that, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The swimming sections in this game are the easiest thing in the world. Protip: Hold LB and mash A for autopilot. You get there so much faster you don't even have to surface.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Personally, I'd say the controls are the best they've ever been (once tweaked slightly as mentioned). They don't do a very good job of explaining them to you though. Yeah, the swimming isn't great, but there's mercifully little of it. I also had some frustrating moments during chase scenes where my gal seem determined to veer around escape ladders, but only once or twice.

I can understand people not getting along with it. It reminds me of Vanquish in a way, in that it lets you play the game as a standard third-person cover shooter, but you'll be pretty much fighting against it if you try playing that way. gently caress knows what someone who never played a recent Resi game would make of it.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

farfromsleep posted:

Personally, I'd say the controls are the best they've ever been (once tweaked slightly as mentioned). They don't do a very good job of explaining them to you though. Yeah, the swimming isn't great, but there's mercifully little of it. I also had some frustrating moments during chase scenes where my gal seem determined to veer around escape ladders, but only once or twice.

I can understand people not getting along with it. It reminds me a bit of Vanquish in a way, in that it lets you play the game as a standard third-person cover shooter, but you'll be pretty much fighting against it if you try playing that way. gently caress knows what someone who never played a recent Resi game would make of it.

I've got a friend who I've known for a very long time, and the concept of holding down a button to ready your gun is incredibly foreign to him. However, he literally plays nothing but Halo and Madden. I'm bringing the game to a friend's place for game night tomorrow, so I might have him and a bunch of other people try it out. Having to teach everyone how to play is going to suck, though. I don't even have a manual I can pass around, and I wouldn't have even known counter-attacks against normal zombies were a thing in this game if no one posted Mercenaries videos in this thread. I'm generally against games holding your hand, but this game doesn't even let you know a lot of these features exist.

Definitely trying that waypoint trick the next time I have to swim, though. For some reason I thought it would stop me dead in the water if I tried to do that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
For people who have questions about RE6's storyline, an enormous amount of the finer details were casually offloaded into the game's files, which are unlocked by finding the Serpent emblems. Those files in-game are also slightly abbreviated and you unlock the full versions by connecting up to residentevil.net.

I know that these guys are trying to put up the full versions of the files right now, but I'd imagine they're going to use their own translation of the Japanese script.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Bovineicide posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKc4VsI2ag

Didn't watch this myself, but I'm assuming it's what the video title says it is. I'm still trying to avoid spoilers, even though I really can't stand any of these characters now. I guess I'm a bit genre savvy, but in Leon Chapter 2: how the gently caress do Leon and Helena not realize they're going to kill everyone in the loving church?. Am I justified, or is it just me?

So like what, does she just merge into an aircraft carrier or something

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The controls suck when you try to maneuver in a small spot. The character can do 180º turns perfectly, but for any less than that, they have to do a wide U-turn. This tends to happen more during escape events due to the camera, like in Ada's first chapter. Fun times.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
This is my primary complaint about the game. You can even observe enemies on patrol making those awkward U-turns and colliding into the side of the narrow corridors.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I need to get better at Mercenaries, because that's the real way you get skill point upgrades. I've got the "enemies drop more items" skill equipped so hopefully they drop more skill upgrade thingies...

You can only equip one skill at a time in Mercenaries! Were they worried you'd find a way to break the game or something?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Speedball posted:

I need to get better at Mercenaries, because that's the real way you get skill point upgrades. I've got the "enemies drop more items" skill equipped so hopefully they drop more skill upgrade thingies...

You can only equip one skill at a time in Mercenaries! Were they worried you'd find a way to break the game or something?

Time Boost + Combo Boost would basically break it, yes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Wow, gently caress the last fight playing as Piers in Chris's campaign so gently caress hard. The boss is only vulnerable after setting him up in a certain way. If you get him to that point and he's on a box(which he is half the time), TOO loving BAD. He can also kill you whenever he feels like it and chooses the correct string of random attacks because your normal attack drains your loving life. Jesus christ this sucks

e: alright, finally got him down but that was almost old school adventure game levels of 'there is only one correct way to do things'

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 6, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, but I couldn't even get past the 2 hour mark. I really wanted to enjoy it but its just so thoroughly unfun to me in literally every way I don't even want to keep the rental an extra day. What a mess.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

NESguerilla posted:

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, but I couldn't even get past the 2 hour mark. I really wanted to enjoy it but its just so thoroughly unfun to me in literally every way I don't even want to keep the rental an extra day. What a mess.

Honestly, as much as there is to not like about it, it's growing on me. I don't know if I like it as much as 5, and I liked 5 a lot, but I'm starting to feel like it was worth the money.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Why the hell are regular 'ole zombies shrugging off numerous pistol rounds to the skull? I've had a few that took a full on shotgun blast and kept on trucking.

What the gently caress video game :mad:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

NESguerilla posted:

The more people are posting about it (and I play it), the more it seems that the primary problem with Resident Evil 6 are based around the designers saying "why should I have to explain it? They'll figure it out."

The controls in the opening tell you absolutely nothing. I had completed 2 chapters of Chris's campaign before I knew about sliding. The herb walkthrough made no sense, because it was just instructions without any context.

Basically, the game is pretty good if you understand how to play it - and, honestly, it's not your fault for not understanding it! It's the games fault! But this doesn't mean that a fun experience isn't there to be found.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Good Citizen posted:

Wow, gently caress the last fight playing as Piers in Chris's campaign so gently caress hard. The boss is only vulnerable after setting him up in a certain way. If you get him to that point and he's on a box(which he is half the time), TOO loving BAD. He can also kill you whenever he feels like it and chooses the correct string of random attacks because your normal attack drains your loving life. Jesus christ this sucks

e: alright, finally got him down but that was almost old school adventure game levels of 'there is only one correct way to do things'

Yeah, I just finished that stage after being stunlocked three or four attempts in a row. But even after dying five or six times to him, four times in the final section (due to Chris failing to keep up) and several other times in the stage before then... I still got an A for deaths?

Were they expecting people to fail so miserably, or something? That strikes me as odd, and more than a little wrong. Providing a safety net is one thing, but it almost feels like they're just letting you shrug off failure, rather than making things better for the player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game, but it's hard to deny that this smacks of someone higher up refusing to listen to criticism. No way is it on the same level as Metroid: Other M, but I'm getting the impression that suggestions of improvements may have been shot down during development.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So yeah. I'm only on Chapter 3 with Leon and there isn't enough inventory space to be reasonable, at all.

One slot each of: Pistol Ammo, Shotgun Ammo, Sniper Ammo, Assault Rifle Ammo (only 60 max per slot? Yeah like that will last), Incendiary grenades, Remote Bombs, First Aid Spray.

Two slots each of: x6 Herbs.

That takes up my entire inventory. I only have one slot of each item type I've found so far, and two spare spaces for herbs. It's not like I'm stockpiling things, I only have ONE slot each per item type, with two spare to combine herbs/keep herbs in.

If I find another gun with Leon down the line (Like say, a Magnum?), picking up ammo for it would mean one slot left, that's not enough space to combine two herbs. What the hell game?

Capn Beeb posted:

Why the hell are regular 'ole zombies shrugging off numerous pistol rounds to the skull? I've had a few that took a full on shotgun blast and kept on trucking.

What the gently caress video game :mad:
Also this. Oh good, I just blew off the top half of that Zombie's skull after seven consecutive headshots, time to reloa*gets a face full of acid from a zombie with only half a head* MOTHER FUCKER.

Though I've come to hate crawling zombies more. What was once an easy headstomp target is now almost a guaranteed diving tackle to your crotch unless you approach them from behin-Oh wait, I'm in another narrow hall again! :suicide: Fuckin crawlers and loving Inactive zombies you can't hurt ahead of time that turn into instant ankle grabs once you walk past them or grab an item which forces you to turn your back on them (Hello, College key). Even ones that I have gunned to the ground have a habit of interrupting a knife stab animation if I try to finish them off with anything but more bullets.

I'm only early in, I keep swinging from having a great time and wanting to punch an infant over the unreasonable danger my shins are in.

EDIT: Also, is it me or are the "Mash A" escape prompts a million times harder than the analog stick spin ones? Even if I switch my grip to overhand smashing I still barely fail on the Mash A prompts.

vvv It's tradition! Wasn't Chris like, 20 or so in the original Resident Evil, and already a decorated Air Force veteran before becoming a member of STARS? Then there's Rebecca.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 6, 2012

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
So apparently Jake is supposed to be 20 years old.

That means Sherry's the cradle-snatcher.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

If you're not wrestling zombies after shooting them in the face, you're throwing bullets away.

I decided to take a break from the game for a while after fighting the boss early in Leon chapter 4. I put up with the QTEs up until then, but there's a loving multi-phase one every time you get grabbed :argh: Is there anything I can't unlock just by playing mercenaries? It's the only part of the game that's not going to make me break the joysticks off my controller at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Section Z posted:

So yeah. I'm only on Chapter 3 with Leon and there isn't enough inventory space to be reasonable, at all.

One slot each of: Pistol Ammo, Shotgun Ammo, Sniper Ammo, Assault Rifle Ammo (only 60 max per slot? Yeah like that will last), Incendiary grenades, Remote Bombs, First Aid Spray.

Two slots each of: x6 Herbs.

That takes up my entire inventory. I only have one slot of each item type I've found so far, and two spare spaces for herbs. It's not like I'm stockpiling things, I only have ONE slot each per item type, with two spare to combine herbs/keep herbs in.

Not meaning to sound like an rear end, but you do know you can't use herbs directly from the inventory, right? Once you've combined a couple just click the combined herb icon again and it'll add the appropriate amount of health tablets to your R2 stash. If you've been keeping the herbs in your inventory for emergencies or something this will free up their spaces.

pud fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 6, 2012