Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm part of a group of goons and some non-goons (one of whom receieved a physical copy of Maid RPG as a gift) and we meet on Saturdays in Berkeley, if you guys want to do a bigger get-together we should get together some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Does anywhere in San Francisco proper carry TRPGs? I'm here for Dreamforce and popped into Kinokuniya last night to find they had gently caress all.

DRAKES N CAKES
Aug 10, 2012

Wow I could not care less about Bay Area goon meets. How about using the correct thread to discuss it from here on out?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

shoplifter posted:

Does anywhere in San Francisco proper carry TRPGs? I'm here for Dreamforce and popped into Kinokuniya last night to find they had gently caress all.
AFAIK there isn't *anywhere* in the US that carries Japanese TRPGs. Kinokuniya and I think Sasuga Books can special order them for you, though it takes time and will be kind of expensive. Most of my collection came from begging Andy to buy stuff for me when he goes to Japan.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

shoplifter posted:

In my experience SF is great for all sorts of card games, but trying to get actual tabletop games means going to Berkeley or Oakland.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DRAKES N CAKES posted:

Wow I could not care less about Bay Area goon meets. How about using the correct thread to discuss it from here on out?

Hey dude thanks for reminding me to make a thread even though you are being a silly fellow about it. For bonus points, I read your post like a valley girl chewing bubblegum and twiddling her hair at the bus stop.

Here's the thread for Bay Area goon meets! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507671

DRAKES N CAKES
Aug 10, 2012

aldantefax posted:

a valley girl chewing bubblegum and twiddling her hair at the bus stop.

P much accurate

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

So, how hard would it be to do super sentai with TBZ?

EDIT: I'll take the bullet for the two of us. vvv

Mitama fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 19, 2012

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TurninTrix posted:

So, how hard would it be to do super sentai with TBZ?

This is something that I was also wondering, but I didn't want to be the one to ask...

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

mikeycp posted:

This is something that I was also wondering, but I didn't want to be the one to ask...

It's one of those three unstated :japan: things and the only one left unanswered: if it wasn't that it'd be Persona/MegaTen (Stretch Goal) or Eva (inspiration for the Yoroi class)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've started a blog for my Meikyuu Kingdom translation. It's partially to help keep me working on it, and part to let you guys know where I am in the translation effort.

Though, this is me going at it alone, so expect quite slow progress.

meikyu-kingdom-tl.blogspot.com

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty excited for this, as I'm sure many others are.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

I've started a blog for my Meikyuu Kingdom translation. It's partially to help keep me working on it, and part to let you guys know where I am in the translation effort.

Though, this is me going at it alone, so expect quite slow progress.

meikyu-kingdom-tl.blogspot.com

Oh goody, I'll have something to compare my slow independent translation of the Kingdom Book against.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know anywhere online I could acquire the MK Dungeon rulebook? I'd go with the Amazon.co.jp link posted a few pages back except they won't ship it outside of Japan.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Much luck on the Meikyuu translation! Added you to my RSS reader so I don't miss an update.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Badingading posted:

On a semi-related note, does anyone know anywhere online I could acquire the MK Dungeon rulebook? I'd go with the Amazon.co.jp link posted a few pages back except they won't ship it outside of Japan.

Proxy shipping via Tenso?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Much luck on the Meikyuu translation! Added you to my RSS reader so I don't miss an update.

Cool! Thanks!
I hope to get around to posting some about Dungeon Making within the next few days.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:woop: :woop: Tenra Bansho Zero PDF for Kickstarter backers is now up! :woop: :woop:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Potsticker posted:

:woop: :woop: Tenra Bansho Zero PDF for Kickstarter backers is now up! :woop: :woop:

It looks like 'setting' and 'rules' are mixed up name-wise, if you want to start with the world and pretty art, jump into the rules document first, in other words. :ssh:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Woo! Super excited for this.

This should also distract from the fact that Guild Wars 2 had delayed my Meikyuu TL significantly...

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Potsticker posted:

My first reaction was to be crazy intimidated by the sheer size of the rule book. Now that I'm reading it things seem really simple and fun. The whole cycle of Fate, Karma, and Kiai is super cool, and the whole Aiki chit system seems like a really natural way to strike a balance between letting some scenes focus on specific characters while not letting the audience lose interest for a moment. I'm liking the archetypes system for character building, too--seems nice and quick.

God, I hope I can talk my group into trying out at least a session with it some time soon. If anybody here wants to run/play a Roll20 one-shot you can count me in (assuming you run it during some time I'm free, of course).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My internet is throwing a fit so I'll have to download the rules tomorrow, but count me in to run it at some point for my one-shots thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo TBZ is amazing!

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Everyone in IRC is probably sick of listening to me gush about how good TBZ is but it's amazing. I'm running a oneshot via roll20 or something similar this week for trad games folks, I'll make a thread once it's ready.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Skimming the setting doc, it's mind-blowing just how much stuff there is in this game. It's a setting where you have scarlet steel soulgem revolver katanas as standard-issue infantry weapons being used against giant robots fueled by the hearts of oni and I can't play this game soon enough.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sooo Sentai is definitely possible then?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Okay, I'm still reading through the rules, but something's striking me as really weird here.

Karma, at first glance, is a really cool system for experience. A little surprisingly fatalistic, since you buy the farm at 108, but you get to play that knife edge game of increasing power at the risk of sudden death/demonification. That's really cool, and I'm really liking it.

Fates as a method of managing your karma works too, on the surface of things. But why exactly is changing your fate by doing nothing with it in the system that manages your karma? Parts of it are perfectly sensible - you defuse your karma buildup by accomplishing your long-term goals, like killing your sworn enemy, or building the castle, or falling in love, etc. But why can you sublimate stuff you've been given by other players because you just haven't used it or cared much for it?

Say I'm Joe-san, a peasant dragged away by his lord's armies to fight in the wars. I decide Joe's fates are to kill the lord that caused his misery in the war, and to return to his village and resume his life, two Goals. Bob, my fellow player, decides that Joe-san has a dark Secret. I need the aiki, so I agree, but secretly think this is a dumb idea. I sublimate the Secret next chance I get, and I get to knock off some karma because of it.

Was I just rewarded for being a disagreeable jackass, or am I missing something?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
drat, got there too late and the Drive and Dropbox links are down. Guess I'll be waiting for a few days for them to reload...

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Desty posted:

Say I'm Joe-san, a peasant dragged away by his lord's armies to fight in the wars. I decide Joe's fates are to kill the lord that caused his misery in the war, and to return to his village and resume his life, two Goals. Bob, my fellow player, decides that Joe-san has a dark Secret. I need the aiki, so I agree, but secretly think this is a dumb idea. I sublimate the Secret next chance I get, and I get to knock off some karma because of it.

Was I just rewarded for being a disagreeable jackass, or am I missing something?

For one thing, you've provided the GM with some plot hooks: say later on, when Joe-san the Peasant is now Joe-san the Big Shot War Hero, someone else finds out about the dark secret and is going to blackmail him.

The assumption is that you'll come up with an in-game explanation for sublimating the Secret anyway. I can't remember the exact words, but it's stated that even if you initially min-max this way, it all goes into character building and you should end up getting into the spirit of the game.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!
Hmmm, let's see if I'm understanding your question, not sure but...

Desty posted:

Fates as a method of managing your karma works too, on the surface of things. But why exactly is changing your fate by doing nothing with it in the system that manages your karma? Parts of it are perfectly sensible - you defuse your karma buildup by accomplishing your long-term goals, like killing your sworn enemy, or building the castle, or falling in love, etc. But why can you sublimate stuff you've been given by other players because you just haven't used it or cared much for it?

So you're asking why you're allowed to sublimate/change fates you don't care about?

Because the player doesn't care about them. Or because they're not coming up or as meaningful as they appeared when they were originally written down. Like the starting fates on the sample characters. Some of them are thematically weaker than others. The Shrine Maiden has a "Loyalty to Family" Fate, but if the scenario ends up being about her growing into her own right and triggering all sorts of other cool fates, and the player realizes that halfway through the game that they're not using Family at all, there's no problem with sublimating that one.

quote:

Two things:

1) You wouldn't "need" an aiki chit. It's just one chit, you can get about three for role-playing well in one scene, so there's no real "I WANT THAT CHIT!" in this balance, it's more "THAT'S A GREAT IDEA AND I WANT TO ADD YOUR SUGGESTION TO MY CHARACTER" that happens.

2) If you secretly think it's a dumb idea but don't say that it's a dumb idea, that's a problem that isn't handled by the rules. :-)

In truth, the rules state that you (the player) can approve/veto another player's suggestion. So if Bob says Take My Chit! "Surprise! Taboo: You're a Pedo", then there's zero reason to approve that. Same with a "Dark Secret" if you don't find it interesting. You control that character, and have the right to reject something. Or, alternately, you might talk to Bob and realize that Dark Secret is actually cool (or perhaps between you agree on something totally new: "Okay, not a dark secret, but let's say I'm siblings with the antagonist, and you know that. So "Family: Sibling with BadGuyPants" might work?"), then you would write it down.

If you DO think a Dark Secret is interesting (and you work out at least in very light strokes what the nature of that secret is), and you get 70% through the game and realize in the last intermission that you never actually did anything with it, and at this point it would seem lame and forced to suddenly play it up (because you'd been playing up other, more interesting-to-you fates the last several hours), that's a perfect reason to change or sublimate it.

It's likely that not everything in your Fate pile is going to get used, either simply because it wasn't as interesting as the 3-4 other Fates you were heavily playing up, or it seemed weak, or it simply didn't come up in the game often.

But yeah, you wouldn't just take an Aiki chit because you needed it. Again, Aiki flows like wine in the game, it's more of a "handshake" than the feel of a "bribe".

Hope that helps.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm going to have to set aside a weekend or two to read this over, there is a lot of content. I'm surprised at how good it looks for a preview pdf with a disclaimer that it does not look good too.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
The final art is probably going to look positively bonkers. Waiting for a happy new year?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

:gizz: posted:

This scenario is set on a far away continent outside of the reach of the Priesthood. Imagine The Road Warrior, but with katana and kimen-armor motorcycles.

Oh man, this game. I'm not sure how I feel about variable "hit" TNs in a dice pool system but gently caress me the general system seems fun as hell.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

DiamondSutra posted:

Hope that helps.

Somewhat. It's good to know that aiki is a lot more common than I'm assuming.

I guess the tl;dr version is that it's great that you get a mechanical reward for resolving your fates in-game, and it's great that you can ditch fates that aren't interesting anymore, but it seems weird that you get rewarded for getting rid of the uninteresting stuff just as much as if you'd put time and effort into playing out that fate in the game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The first chapter or two repeats one thing quite a bit: the point of this game is to have fun. It makes perfect sense that it would reward you for ditching something that isn't fun for you. Then you get rewarded for putting time and effort into something you do enjoy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fair enough. Given that I'm basically demanding to know why I'm not being told to work harder for my fun, I'm gonna chalk it up to it's me, I'm the grognard, etc. Game owns bones otherwise, though.

Andy, have you gotten any proofs in? Is it possible the books are going to be just as lush and pretty as I hope?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Oh man, this game. I'm not sure how I feel about variable "hit" TNs in a dice pool system but gently caress me the general system seems fun as hell.

It sounds like the elements build up to be one hell of an experience, even if some of the mechanical bits are iffy.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

My TBZ stuff arrived, featuring masterful calligraphy by DiamondSutra. Now I can be a Tenra Bancho too :toot:

Also a 50-yen coin snuck into the bag of kanji dice somehow.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Cheap Trick posted:

My TBZ stuff arrived, featuring masterful calligraphy by DiamondSutra. Now I can be a Tenra Bancho too :toot:

Also a 50-yen coin snuck into the bag of kanji dice somehow.

Eh, that "Shou" of "Ban-Shou" is actually kinda sucky, not my best work. Turns out that my actually kinda awesome kanji writing with pen/pencil in no way translates to calligraphy brush. :-)

Now I want to practice brush more!

Also, that's a 5-yen coin. It's the lucky one!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_yen_coin

DiamondSutra fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 10, 2012

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

DiamondSutra posted:

Also, that's a 5-yen coin. It's the lucky one!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_yen_coin

Whoops, I keep getting 5s and 50s mixed up. Today is a lucky day indeed.

Also don't sign your posts here :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

TK-31 posted:

It sounds like the elements build up to be one hell of an experience, even if some of the mechanical bits are iffy.

If nothing else it'll be a good thing to pilfer ideas from; like the 222 Things to do in Tenra, the "how to make the outside of game stuff fun" advice, the Fiasco-esque Act system and the worm users.

Even if the game sucks, I can make cyborg samurai ninja Spiderman. That counts for something.

• Locked thread