Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

Didn't that change for Reach? It defaults to CoD's let it ride system instead of asking if you want to party up?

Or do you mean it still boots the entire group out to the queue instead of just picking up the missing slots? I can't remember if Reach did that, but that's... dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

kater posted:

Didn't that change for Reach? It defaults to CoD's let it ride system instead of asking if you want to party up?

Or do you mean it still boots the entire group out to the queue instead of just picking up the missing slots? I can't remember if Reach did that, but that's... dumb.

In cod you can join a game thats already started. That becomes a permanent lobby for future games with those players until you leave.

While you couldn't join mid-game, at least once you've got a game you default to lobbying up with those players at the end of the match

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
What the group think on the live action series. I was going to hold off for the dvd that comes with the LE before watching it. Is it fine standalone?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
It's pretty good alone. Though if you can wait to watch it all at once it would probably be more epic.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BabyMauler posted:

What the group think on the live action series. I was going to hold off for the dvd that comes with the LE before watching it. Is it fine standalone?

The first one that came out today? It was filmed well, acting was ok, set was a bit above average. I don't understand the context though. What am I watching? A bunch of no name grunts before the Covenant came along?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The first one that came out today? It was filmed well, acting was ok, set was a bit above average. I don't understand the context though. What am I watching? A bunch of no name grunts before the Covenant came along?

No I'm pretty sure this is set in the time after halo 3

but before 4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same opinion. It's hard to care when I have no idea what the context is. Maybe it'll be explained later on, but really this is suppose to be setup from the start. Not enough is explained.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MickRaider posted:

but before 4

The bit at the beginning with the captain of the Infinity listening to the distress call from Forward Unto Down is immediately before Halo 4, the rest is a flashback to his academy training during the inner/outer colony civil war immediately before the Covenant attack.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
^^^^ ok, that makes sense. I was getting the flashback vibe too.

MickRaider posted:

but before 4

Either way, they better find a hook other than "hurf Halo" or this will be Terra Nova levels of yawn.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Wow that looks way better then I expected.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Jesus, that was awful. Was this made by the same people that did the live action commercials from previous games?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Friendly Factory posted:

Jesus, that was awful. Was this made by the same people that did the live action commercials from previous games?

No.

It wasn't _that_ bad

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Whatever, the ODST live action thing was dope as gently caress.

This was pretty much a non-event. Nothing happened. At all. I guess I'm willing to watch more, but only in the sense that I was willing to watch this in the first place.

And goddamn does the AR make a goofy gun model.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The AR looks even goofier embossed on a wall for no reason.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The short black woman trying to act as a tough military leader was awful, terrible miscasting there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

The short black woman trying to act as a tough military leader was awful, terrible miscasting there.

Glad I wasn't the only one. The problem was that she put absolutely no emotion into it at all. I know there's a very limited budget for this show, but it's supposedly not that hard to hire actual military people and cheaply.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Aren't they supposed to be teenagers? Like, high schoolers? I thought she was great as a kid trying to act like a tough military leader.

I thought the scene that transforms from the kid getting court marshaled into whining about mommy being away was far more ridiculous.

kater fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 6, 2012

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
For marketing bullshit for a game it's not bad, but it does come off like The CW presents: Halo High. Nice to see they filmed it in Vancouver though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tighclops posted:

For marketing bullshit for a game it's not bad, but it does come off like The CW presents: Halo High. Nice to see they filmed it in Vancouver though.

In fact I swear the wooded location was also the same place some parts of Battlestar Galactica were filmed.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that university campus and some of those actors showed up on BSG also, probably Stargate too.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tighclops posted:

I'm pretty sure that university campus and some of those actors showed up on BSG also, probably Stargate too.

I'm pretty sure the campus was also the market on Caprica in the BSG miniseries.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Spoilers ahead (not for Halo 4):

I am amused by how the protagonist faction, the UNSC, are a bunch of space fascists who brainwash, mutilate and experiment on recruits (SPARTAN program), and otherwise act like unethical jerkbags in their struggle against the insurrectionists. If you've read the books, they are fighting a dirty war against people tired of being oppressed by space bureaucrats thousands of light years away. The concept of what right and wrong pretty much go out the window given the brutality of the ostensibly democratic regime that runs things and the fact that the guerrilla conflict against the "Innies" has been going on for decades before the Covenant showed up and starting kicking their asses left and right.

I liked the dispatches from the front line part of the video the most, reminds me of stuff you'd see coming back home from the troops in afghanistan.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

I am amused by how the protagonist faction, the UNSC, are a bunch of space fascists who brainwash, mutilate and experiment on recruits (SPARTAN program), and otherwise act like unethical jerkbags in their struggle against the insurrectionists. If you've read the books, they are fighting a dirty war against people tired of being oppressed by space bureaucrats thousands of light years away. The concept of what right and wrong pretty much go out the window given the brutality of the ostensibly democratic regime that runs things and the fact that the guerrilla conflict against the "Innies" has been going on for decades before the Covenant showed up and starting kicking their asses left and right.

I liked the dispatches from the front line part of the video the most, reminds me of stuff you'd see coming back home from the troops in afghanistan.

It had to be done.

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 7, 2012

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

[nerd]
If I was in charge I would probably green light a program like this myself. It was the tip of a inter galactic human conflict with multiple factions all getting uppity. I'm sure if the Alliance in Firefly had the option they would of taken it, instead of having a civil war with the brown coats in which hundreds of thousands die.

Kidnap 75 kids, 33 survive to be demi gods that could save millions of lives by surgically eliminating opposition. Spartan III's were mostly angry expendable orphan children from the colonies so no evil flash clone fun to be had there. The Spartan IV program is adult volunteers.

Hell I would green light that poo poo right now if we had the technology in order to curb stomp world wide militant religious groups, but that's just me. (Saying that has a dad)
[/nerd]

Anyways, gently caress yea Halo 4, picking it up on day 1. I'm brushing up on my H:Reach so I don't get stomped to hard next month.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

NuckmasterJ posted:

[nerd]
If I was in charge I would probably green light a program like this myself. It was the tip of a inter galactic human conflict with multiple factions all getting uppity. I'm sure if the Alliance in Firefly had the option they would of taken it, instead of having a civil war with the brown coats in which hundreds of thousands die.

Kidnap 75 kids, 33 survive to be demi gods that could save millions of lives by surgically eliminating opposition. Spartan III's were mostly angry expendable orphan children from the colonies so no evil flash clone fun to be had there. The Spartan IV program is adult volunteers.

Hell I would green light that poo poo right now if we had the technology in order to curb stomp world wide militant religious groups, but that's just me. (Saying that has a dad)
[/nerd]

Anyways, gently caress yea Halo 4, picking it up on day 1. I'm brushing up on my H:Reach so I don't get stomped to hard next month.

I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but didn't they say at some point, either in one of the books or the trailers for Forward Unto Dawn (I haven't actually watched the first episode) that there's such a precarious balance between Earth and the colonies, where both sides need each other's resources to survive, that any disruption of the order would be disastrous for all mankind, so they needed drastic action to prevent that, or something along those lines? I mean, I may not like the idea of all that stuff, but if the alternative is "without the massive interconnected economy everybody in the galaxy starves," well...

Of course, I may just be thinking of Leviathan Wakes, which had the same explanation for why the outer colonies rebelling would be so disastrous. :v: I seem to remember a similar explanation in Halo, though.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

there's such a precarious balance between Earth and the colonies, where both sides need each other's resources to survive, that any disruption of the order would be disastrous for all mankind-

If this was true I'd imagine that Earth would be hosed right now considering how far back the Covenant pushed humanity, I don't think resources have really been mapped out in this universe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

D1Sergo posted:

If this was true I'd imagine that Earth would be hosed right now considering how far back the Covenant pushed humanity, I don't think resources have really been mapped out in this universe.

Wasn't Earth down to a population of 100 million or so and half the planet was glassed by the end of Halo 3? I thought all that was left of humanity was Earth, a handful of random shithole borderworlds, and a few stations or something.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Wasn't Earth down to a population of 100 million or so and half the planet was glassed by the end of Halo 3?

Did they glass any part of earth other than that one section to reveal the portal?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dvlos posted:

Did they glass any part of earth other than that one section to reveal the portal?

I thought the whole of North America was on fire at one point? I know they glassed most of Africa and the Elites were still pissy because a flood spore could have floated away or something.

Pudding Tame
Jan 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Wasn't Earth down to a population of 100 million or so and half the planet was glassed by the end of Halo 3? I thought all that was left of humanity was Earth, a handful of random shithole borderworlds, and a few stations or something.

200 million according to the Halo 3 extras. All the explosions shown hitting Earth in the Halo 2 reveal trailer actually happened, just we never got to see any of it in game.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Pudding Tame posted:

200 million according to the Halo 3 extras. All the explosions shown hitting Earth in the Halo 2 reveal trailer actually happened, just we never got to see any of it in game.

Ugh, I guess resources from across the galaxy are kind of moot at that point.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Some forge information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJ5lqXXtpU

In case forgeworld wasn't gray enough for you

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah, don't know what they were thinking with that. Not sure what the point of multiple maps is. I can't think of any environment that would be attractive to use the same lincoln logs over and over again in. They should just let people retexture poo poo.

That said, being able to turn off assassinations or weapon drain or whatever for an entire map is awesome.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Far Cry 2's map creation system was loving amazing on consoles. If Halo let you have that kind of creative freedom, I'd never stop playing it.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Man, they could not have gotten more boring people to talk about Forge if they tried. The hype I had from "awesome, new Forge information!" got the life sucked right out of it listening to those two drone on.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
At least now instead of having every forge map be a grassy field we can have forge maps be either a grassy field or a moon base. It's an improvement,

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I don't think we've seen the third Forge map yet, so you never know what they'll come out with. We might get a desert, a tundra, or even a river delta! and I'm sure it'll have some appropriate features, like a hill, or a rock-- hell, it might even have a cave. The possibilities are endless!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pretty sure the 3rd Forge map is just another empty Griffball hangar.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Because lord knows we need another map made just for that garbage. Just give us some big rear end floor pieces and an actual interesting environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
How about a forge map that's inside High Charity with some flood-themed objects? Or even, a forge map on the Elite's homeworld so we can all lament at the irony of being there but not being able to play as an Elite anymore?

• Locked thread