Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010
If anyone is interested in playing the PS3 version of RE5, add Guydoingthis. I've been running through segments with randoms and having fun, but I wouldn't mind trying to tackle a Professional run at some point (or just playing around in Mercs or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to be that guy because I like Chris' campaign the most. I like the concept and set pieces of a military group fighting against virus-enhanced mercs but also I thought some of his mid-campaign missions with tense tight quarters shootouts in chinese tenements were cool as poo poo if you embrace the new controls. Diving and rolling around in middle of a tiny room full of monster dudes is pretty drat fun.

Though, I'm a little biased towards Chris because he was the first character I ever played right after the original got released back on Playstation and I've always liked the games he's been in the most.

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
I really wish they hadn't dropped the ball on explaining how to play this game because otherwise it didn't deserve the backlash. (Oh and maybe if they hadn't crammed 95% of the story into files but go figure) I completed the last campaign today and I still feel like I got my money's worth. Nothing will be as good as RE4 for me but this definitely improved on 5.

I played Leon->Chris->Jake->Ada. I agree with a lot of people that Jake's was the least enjoyable. The melee portion of his character is fun but the nonstop QTE party gets old. Ada's campaign felt so short by comparison. The final chapter especially.

gently caress though, all the little things they didn't explain. This thread straightened some poo poo out for me and made the experience a lot smoother. If I had come in blind I would have been frustrated.

-My first chapter with Leon was filled with annoyance at apparently not being able to pause.
-Like a lot of people I didn't have a good grasp on the dodge/slide until I was deep in the game.
-It wasn't until I was in Chris' last chapter that it dawned on me "Oh I've been picking up other types of grenade launcher ammo" then "Oh gently caress this is how I change ammo types" and finally "Wait a minute, I totally could have dual wielded in Leon's campaign with this same option".

Those and a few other little annoyances. I'll definitely enjoy any replays a lot more if I make time for it.

Hell Diver posted:

I'm going to be that guy because I like Chris' campaign the most.

It was a hell of a lot better than I expected from the demo and overall internet opinion.

DehatstyTopinbout fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 8, 2012

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Something about Leon's dual wielding - since he's using a second gun, obviously it has it's own ammo and also has to be reloaded. Something I found VERY useful was to not use this gun, and then when I inevitably ran out of ammo and was in a section where i'd need a gun (this happened far too much) i'd pull it out. It's so useful to have a desperation weapon that you won't waste by accident.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nah, doing the quickshot volley with the guns at every turn is the only correct way to play Leon, as far as I'm concerned.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
This game loving rules, and I cannot wait for the DLC modes to come out. Just because I want to see the Ustanak forced to contend with the hordes of pirates, samurai, and F1 drivers.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

losonti tokash posted:

This game loving rules, and I cannot wait for the DLC modes to come out. Just because I want to see the Ustanak forced to contend with the hordes of pirates, samurai, and F1 drivers.

I was so worried I'd hate it, but it is pretty drat sweet all around. Not as good as 4 but NOTHING is. This is a perfectly good action game. No idea why some people are talking about bad controls.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pesmerga posted:

I've come to the realisation that playing this game like Streets of Rage with a firearm makes it both amazing and hilarious.
Have you ever played Zombie Revenge? I love RE4, but Zombie Revenge is Streets Of Rage with a gun (and zombies).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Section Z posted:

Have you ever played Zombie Revenge? I love RE4, but Zombie Revenge is Streets Of Rage with a gun (and zombies).

And lots of bull-ITS. That being said, I really can't recommend it because it is a arcade game most definitely and you will die after being hit like twice. I think I eventually beat it in that gun mode where your melee attacks are weaker and your shots are more powerful.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.

blackguy32 posted:

And lots of bull-ITS. That being said, I really can't recommend it because it is a arcade game most definitely and you will die after being hit like twice. I think I eventually beat it in that gun mode where your melee attacks are weaker and your shots are more powerful.

No guns, only huge rock drills!

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Cellophane S posted:

I was so worried I'd hate it, but it is pretty drat sweet all around. Not as good as 4 but NOTHING is. This is a perfectly good action game. No idea why some people are talking about bad controls.

I feel exactly the same way. I was really nervous leading up to the release, especially after seeing the reaction it got at Polygon and Giantbomb, but I've been enjoying the game a lot.

It's not like the old games, but it scratches different itches for me and at this point I'm fine with that. I feel like I'm playing through a trashy action movie and I love it. I've only played through Chris' and half of Jake's campaign at this point, having decided to save Leon for last. It plays great. I had to tweak the camera and I switched to the laser pointer, but after that I've been fine.

I think Capcom made some design mistakes - there are too many gameplay things left completely unexplained that you might not even be aware of until your deep in the game. I'm definitely seeing friends get frustrated with this because not everyone wants to post on message boards and read through comments to find out about the dodge mechanics or how to switch ammo on the grenade launcher. Maybe a better tutorial would have helped, but I had adapted by the time I reached the end of Chris' campaign. I've been playing through on veteran and I'm looking forward to going back through the campaigns with the other characters and logging some more co-op time.

My biggest complaint at this point is that files aren't scatters through the levels for me to uncover backstory about the people whose heads I'm busting open with melee attacks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

Stupid idea: Resident Evil game with RPG elements. Maybe make it about Sherry Birkin and how her body will adapt to stress by becoming better at fighting in various ways thanks to the G Virus. Hell, that'd make it the successor to Parasite Eve.

There are no words to describe how hard I would play the poo poo out of Resident Eve-il

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Finally finished Chris' campaign, I only died eight times in the last chapter! :suicide: Sorry BORK! BORK! for failing so hard at all the awesome, awesome 'run like gently caress' scenes. The campaign was pretty enjoyable except for those super frustrating sections!

Now just to finish Leon's and hand the game back in because screw Jake.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Having problems with chris's final boss... I run out of ammo to drat fast and the drat Giant water skeleton always seems to turn his weakpoint away from me. I'm having the same drat problems with him that I did with the Giants at the beginning of the campaign, Low ammo to work with, No Possibilites for drops, no health drops either)

That and the QTE piss me off sometimes... YES I MADE... oh hell... WHEN DID MY PARTNER GET BEHIND ME!? gently caress IT PIERS! GET IT TOGETHER!

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

citizenlowell posted:

My biggest complaint at this point is that files aren't scatters through the levels for me to uncover backstory about the people whose heads I'm busting open with melee attacks.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm guessing they took them out to try and keep the pace of the game moving, but I liked how finding the texts could break up the game and give you more of a reason to look around the maps.

I wish there were a few more open-ish areas like the markets in Chris' campaign or the chinese lab area with the umbrella tokens in Jake's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm guessing they took them out to try and keep the pace of the game moving, but I liked how finding the texts could break up the game and give you more of a reason to look around the maps.

To be fair, this is effectively what the did. Only instead of picking up a file you shoot an emblem and that unlocks a file.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Spiffster posted:

Having problems with chris's final boss... I run out of ammo to drat fast and the drat Giant water skeleton always seems to turn his weakpoint away from me. I'm having the same drat problems with him that I did with the Giants at the beginning of the campaign, Low ammo to work with, No Possibilites for drops, no health drops either)

That and the QTE piss me off sometimes... YES I MADE... oh hell... WHEN DID MY PARTNER GET BEHIND ME!? gently caress IT PIERS! GET IT TOGETHER!

On this boss, I ran out of ammo very very quickly, so had to fluke it. The pods it spews out drop pistol ammo...but only if you're out of ammo for all your guns, and they only drop 10 of it. Then, if you're solo, you have to time it so that Piers goes mental and lightningy just as it cocoons up, letting him break the cocoon and you just melee the body.

Strangely enough, the only levels I S ranked were the final campaign levels.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, this is effectively what the did. Only instead of picking up a file you shoot an emblem and that unlocks a file.

It's just easy to forget about exiting the game and going to a different set of menus to look at it, versus just reading it in place.

The whole itchy tasty thing wouldn't have been as cool if you had to exit the whole game to go back and find out what the hell it said.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Hell Diver posted:

It's just easy to forget about exiting the game and going to a different set of menus to look at it, versus just reading it in place.

The whole itchy tasty thing wouldn't have been as cool if you had to exit the whole game to go back and find out what the hell it said.

Yeah but that was because it made a lot of sense in context of where you find it, too.

In this game, you unlock info about characters, enemies, everything by shooting the emblems. It wouldn't make sense to have you look at a file early in the game and it tell you all about Leon's backstory, for example.

What I would have preferred would have been if weapon upgrading/some sort of skill unlock was tied to the emblems, and the files had unlocked as you completed chapters - with some files being within areas that made sense, such as in the final campaign, you find an emblem that when you read the file from it, it's a letter that would make sense if you'd found it in say the lab area.

It's a letter from Deborah to Helena, saying how she's been infected and is losing her mind, but she wants Helena to know she loves her. pretty dull but it was just an example of context.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What pisses me off is that I really don't feel like replaying every single chapter of every single campaign to find the missing emblems just so I can get a complete understanding of the story.
I'm just waiting for the sperg guide writers and wiki contributors to collect that poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

What pisses me off is that I really don't feel like replaying every single chapter of every single campaign to find the missing emblems just so I can get a complete understanding of the story.
I'm just waiting for the sperg guide writers and wiki contributors to collect that poo poo.

I really wish they had divided the chapters RE5 style. I would be a lot more willing to replay chapters if it was a 20 minute investment of time instead of a 2 hour investment of time.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I'm using Leon Chapter 3 to farm for skill points so I can get that last Attack Power upgrade. I really miss upgrading guns from the previous games. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IronSaber posted:

I'm using Leon Chapter 3 to farm for skill points so I can get that last Attack Power upgrade. I really miss upgrading guns from the previous games. :(

Play Mercenaries. You will get more points from Mercenaries in 10 minutes than from an entire chapter.

Khoryos
May 16, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks the series becoming incresingly less horrific and more action packed makes sense, from a plot perspective?
I mean, RE1-3 take place during the first first-world BOW outbreaks - no-one knows WTF, they've never seen so much as a zombie before, they're desperately trying to survive - But by 4 Leon's survived Raccoon City, possibly cleared a cruise ship, and joined the Secret Service - and as for Chris in 5, he's quite literally a professional zombie fucker-upper! Of course he's going to wreck poo poo! It's character growth.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

There's just something really satisfying about putting hours into Mercenaries learning how to collect all the time bonuses and herbs/grenades/etc, enemy spawn patterns and then putting it all together to get the max combo in a map with less than 30 seconds remaining even though you hosed up and missed a time bonus by jumping down off the ledge and then having to kill the zombie ready to bite a chunk of flesh out of your neck. Now if only I could be this good at Steel Beast.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Capcom why can't I play as F1 Piers in campaign? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU JERKS?! :mad:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Khoryos posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the series becoming incresingly less horrific and more action packed makes sense, from a plot perspective?

Yeah, if you stick with the same characters, they're going to become more capable of defending themselves as they go. I remember discussing that in the early 2000s, back when the entire franchise couldn't seem to work its way past Raccoon City or the mansion incident.

There's a reason why the only really long-running horror franchise with a persistent protagonist in the world is Hellblazer, and even that book is about a lonely bastard who can't keep a friend for longer than a year before a demon eats his face.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I went back to play some RE2 mainly because Leon's first couple chapters really hit those nostalgia strings. It still holds up once you get a hold of those tank controls. One thing I forgot about was that the weapons were named after their real life couter-parts instead of some goofy made up name. Have licensing costs gone up so much that they don't want to pay to use those weapon names any more or something?

It made me laugh out loud pretty hard when I first played RE4 and the default handgun was just simply called "Handgun".

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I hate a lot of things about this game but by far the worst part is that I haven't been scared at all. This game has become a full on lovely action movie. I even played Ada's 4th chapter and I ended up more frustrated at the lovely game mechanics and QTEs than scared of anything. This coming from a guy who is such a scaredycat he couldn't play Resident Evil 4 after dark.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

RE4 wasn't scary either. It was tense. This game gets pretty tense.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
There were times In playing Chris's campaign where I was genuinely terrified. The second to last chapter had some moments where I jumped out of my seat. Last two times that happened was in 4 with the regenerator and in 3 with nemesis.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just sad there's no "shoot the lake for fish and treasure" moment like in RE4.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm pretty sure the Slambulance counts as a gently caress you to players who try to rush forward.

Khoryos
May 16, 2011
It's just occurred to me to wonder - what happens if you hit snapshot with your melee option equipped?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khoryos posted:

It's just occurred to me to wonder - what happens if you hit snapshot with your melee option equipped?

You mean quick shot? It does a special move.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ImpAtom posted:

You mean quick shot? It does a special move.

An AMAZING move. Especially Jake though not as amazing as his dash attack.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I think this game is just fine. I am enjoying it like hell with my buddy. I think it would have been better if the tutorial better explained the weapon options with Y/triangle and the dodge controls. This game really could have used a manual. I finished Leon's and Chris's campaigns, and outside of the instant deaths in Chris's campaign, both are about equally fun.

Edit: I read a few pages back and see people complaining about the melee. The context sensitive moves are still there. Shoot someone in the head, arm, or leg, run up to them and melee to get a specialized attack that is usually a one hit kill. In addition, we get the three hit combo. I intersected with another pair of players earlier, and for the first time, they died. Apparently, if you die while intersecting with another pair, you are removed from their game immediately. I was Sherry/Jake, and he got hit by the giant's trolley car instant kill.

This game seems to make more sense when played in the same order as the menu. Leon -> Chris -> Jake. If I started Jake's game first, I wouldn't have known what to do when Chris and Piers need your help and it would have been harder to kill those big guys. My friend and I killed those big guys on our own when helping out that other pair of players.

Edit 2: I saw someone talking about a lack of ammo and herbs in Chris's campaign compared to Leon's. I've been playing as the second character in all the campaigns and haven't had any trouble with ammo. My RE partner did start to run dry in Chris's final fight, though. I tend to get really miserly with my ammo and go for very precise shots. I just started Chapter 2 as Sherry and I have well over 150 9mm bullets.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 9, 2012

Khoryos
May 16, 2011
Also, this is kind of a dumb question, but I had real difficulty with a scene in Leon's campaign involving Dragging myself up a plane's cargo ramp - I just couldn't figure out what the hell the expected inputs were.
I do like the QTE's in this, though - they generally seem to use the controls that you would use to perform the actions in the game proper, which makes them feel a lot better integrated than might otherwise be the case.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Khoryos posted:

Also, this is kind of a dumb question, but I had real difficulty with a scene in Leon's campaign involving Dragging myself up a plane's cargo ramp - I just couldn't figure out what the hell the expected inputs were.

You hold one shoulder button, keep holding it, and press and hold the other. THEN you release the first button. Then repeat. Basically, don't release the button you're holding until you've pressed the other button.

It's not intuitive at all, and like a lot of things in RE6, it's simple once you figure out how to do it but good luck getting to that part, because the game sure isn't going to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I understood it as soon as I realized it was simulating pulling yourself up one arm at a time, but the control prompt didn't make it quite understandable.