Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

warcake posted:

Oh, whoops

I thought this was the ABS ring until I saw the rotor piece on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gusting wind + sidestand = spilled gas and wounded pride

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Gotta carry that boat anchor for windy days.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Coolnezzz posted:

I work at Haas Automation, we have robots that automate the loading and unloading of raw castings into our lathes and mills. This robots programming had some flaws, sometimes if the exit feed was full and the robot rejects a part (due to casting problems) it would whirl around at full speed and try to put the part back into the in-feed where it came from. Unfortunately one of the horizontal mills is directly in the path to the in-feed, and this happened:

Oh man I can hear the very loud sound that made in my head.

Also, what do you do at Haas?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Lord Gaga posted:

Oh man I can hear the very loud sound that made in my head.

Also, what do you do at Haas?

I work in the machine shop on our FMS cells. Big horizontal mills hooked up to a robotic pallet system that moves parts in and out of the machines based on a schedule. I work night shift keeping several of these systems online, as well as keeping the machines fed with material to keep cutting throughout the night.

I've only been doing it for two years now and I really dislike my job. It pays well enough for the skill involved (none) but they require 55-63 hours a week, I haven't learned a single new thing other then my main tasks, and I have to work nights and weekends. So basically I'm getting back into IT work as soon as I can find a steady, local day job that pays something similar to what I'm making now. Even if it's helpdesk again I'll probably end up taking the first decent offer because I'm that sick of working these hours and in this environment.

If you enjoy big, loud machines that cut, grind, shred, drill and tap metal then this place would be like heaven to you.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's ok, Haas builds machines to get crashed. It makes sense that they'd test crashing them at the factory before shipping them to customers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Devyl posted:

Speaking of car fires, evidently Chevrolet's Camaro is prone to becoming, how should I say it, crispy.

http://youtu.be/b70jXed3DWo?t=1m16s

Skipped the boring parts for you.

All of the "PLEASE ORDER YOUR FINANCING DIVISION TO SELL ME A ZL1" makes me seriously consider how 'accidental' that fire was.

jamal posted:

Some of my friends were at a track day today and this happened:

well, that's not so bad...

don't have anything higher res.

Saw it on Jalopnik, apparently there's all manner of fingerpointing as to who hit who since it sounds like it was a track day and not an actual race.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Coolnezzz posted:

I work in the machine shop on our FMS cells. Big horizontal mills hooked up to a robotic pallet system that moves parts in and out of the machines based on a schedule. I work night shift keeping several of these systems online, as well as keeping the machines fed with material to keep cutting throughout the night.

I've only been doing it for two years now and I really dislike my job. It pays well enough for the skill involved (none) but they require 55-63 hours a week, I haven't learned a single new thing other then my main tasks, and I have to work nights and weekends. So basically I'm getting back into IT work as soon as I can find a steady, local day job that pays something similar to what I'm making now. Even if it's helpdesk again I'll probably end up taking the first decent offer because I'm that sick of working these hours and in this environment.

If you enjoy big, loud machines that cut, grind, shred, drill and tap metal then this place would be like heaven to you.

I enjoy building CNC machines and automation but I am an engineer with a degree as of next christmas.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord Gaga posted:

I enjoy building CNC machines and automation but I am an engineer with a degree as of next christmas.
Watch as people having a bump on a CNC goes from "Hurrr, crunch!" to "Oh, for gently caress's sake..." pretty much overnight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Saw it on Jalopnik, apparently there's all manner of fingerpointing as to who hit who since it sounds like it was a track day and not an actual race.
And this is where people forget that you don't take bikes/cars to the track that you're not willing to set on fire and walk away from. :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Post pictures of horrible Machinist failures:

Lord Gaga give me your post mortem on this part, what went wrong?

e: Part ran on a haas VF4-SS speaking of Haas up in here...

rscott fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 8, 2012

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Devyl posted:

Speaking of car fires, evidently Chevrolet's Camaro is prone to becoming, how should I say it, crispy.

http://youtu.be/b70jXed3DWo?t=1m16s

Skipped the boring parts for you.

This reeks of insurance fraud. His description fits the bill for a desperate owner trying to wiggle out of a contract. What's surprising is he has the balls to ask for another car he can't afford and will most likely also torch.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Transmission from a kenworth (part of it, anyway)

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

And this is where people forget that you don't take bikes/cars to the track that you're not willing to set on fire and walk away from. :v:

Wasn't so much that as that the driver was reportedly being a dick on the track and in pit lane, and was super aggressive right up to the point he hit the BRZ that put him into the wall.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Wasn't so much that as that the driver was reportedly being a dick on the track and in pit lane, and was super aggressive right up to the point he hit the BRZ that put him into the wall.

Doesn't change BlackMK4's sentiment, which is one of the big reasons I've never done a proper track day. You can't guarantee that every other person on the track is driving sanely, and no matter how it goes down, either the BRZ or the MP4 driver (or maybe both!) was doing something incredibly stupid and trying to channel Ayrton Senna when everyone else was just having fun going fast. Insurance sure as hell isn't paying out on this.

The other, which is largely related to that, is I haven't owned anything that thus fits the category of 'trackable' for me. The Miata needed a rollbar, which to clear my head with a helmet, would have also needed me to ditch the ragtop. The MS3 is better in that regard, but is also the only vehicle I own that I can safely put my daughter into, so balling it up would be a Bad Idea; also, I'm sure the MS3's already-annoyingly-pricey consumables become more painfully expensive with track use.

I don't think trying to do a track day in the Ranger or the GMC is going to teach me anything I don't already know about those vehicles - that the Ranger is slower than slow, and that the GMC's LS1 will hurriedly get me into a situation where its 'brakes' and 'steering' cannot save me.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

rscott posted:

Could the part have come loose from it's restraints while being milled? A buddy of mine who does in-house CNC work described a horrible instance of bad code that resulted in his cutter going to town on the clamps that held down a piece of wood.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coolnezzz posted:

I work at Haas Automation, we have robots that automate the loading and unloading of raw castings into our lathes and mills. This robots programming had some flaws, sometimes if the exit feed was full and the robot rejects a part (due to casting problems) it would whirl around at full speed and try to put the part back into the in-feed where it came from. Unfortunately one of the horizontal mills is directly in the path to the in-feed, and this happened:

I hope this isn't too personal. Do you happen to work at the one in Oxnard?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other, which is largely related to that, is I haven't owned anything that thus fits the category of 'trackable' for me. The Miata needed a rollbar, which to clear my head with a helmet, would have also needed me to ditch the ragtop. The MS3 is better in that regard, but is also the only vehicle I own that I can safely put my daughter into, so balling it up would be a Bad Idea; also, I'm sure the MS3's already-annoyingly-pricey consumables become more painfully expensive with track use.

I did a track day in my MS3, and it did stupendously. Only cost me boiled brake fluid, brake and tire wear was minimal. You should really give it a go, it does really well on the track.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I did a track day in my MS3, and it did stupendously. Only cost me boiled brake fluid, brake and tire wear was minimal. You should really give it a go, it does really well on the track.

He's more worried about how it'll do into a wall/barrier/car/so forth.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Went junkyarding with Slow is Fast and we saw a thing.

A british car with british electrics... being a british car with british electrics.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sockington posted:

He's more worried about how it'll do into a wall/barrier/car/so forth.

Then take it to one of the "driver improvement" track days so you can cover it under insurance if you mash it up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

obso posted:

Then take it to one of the "driver improvement" track days so you can cover it under insurance if you mash it up.

A lot of insurance policies don't allow that kind of rule bypassing anymore.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not a huge mechanical failure, but a failure.

http://youtu.be/luNMKKLry40

I cross posted this from my project thread. Once I get the old bushings pressed out, I will post pictures.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

That's why I stopped doing trackdays. I couldn't afford to see my GSXR cartwheel through a gravel trap, and I'd be doubly hosed because then I wouldn't be able to get to work. It was sucking all the fun out of it, and was ultimately just a waste of money when I wasn't really pushing myself at all.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Our track disallows any passing except for the straights so it keeps shenaigans to a minimum. As far as I know we've never had a 2-car trackday accident, but of course people have gone off on their own quite often from overdriving or mechanical failures.

I plan to do some time attack next year. Costs extra compared to a track day but you get 3 sessions of 5 laps to push as hard as you want (or don't want) to.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

A student posted:

I hope this isn't too personal. Do you happen to work at the one in Oxnard?
Yessir, the one and only factory. All the machines are made here, but we have outlets and service centers all over the world.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's why I stopped doing trackdays. I couldn't afford to see my GSXR cartwheel through a gravel trap, and I'd be doubly hosed because then I wouldn't be able to get to work. It was sucking all the fun out of it, and was ultimately just a waste of money when I wasn't really pushing myself at all.

It's nice having a vehicle you don't give a gently caress about.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Wheel bearing failed at about 140km/h on the entry to a corner, wheel came off (and smacked the tire wall, bounced about 30 feet up and cratered in the gravel) and he spun. Car went off the track, spun twice in the mud and muck, came back on track pointed in the right direction and off the line! So he just drove the 4-500 meters to the pit entrance.

I was doing control and was in our tower, so I was looking at it from a much better angle. Quite interesting. A few years ago we kept having VW golfs breaking rear spindles, so I hope we don't have a spat of Miata's losing their front tires!

If you go race/lap/etc, expect weird poo poo like this to happen. If you can't deal with it, don't go on track! We've had people during lapping days try to pay our tow driver to drop their wrecked Porsche/Ferrari/whatever on the road so they could try to claim insurance!

Carbonate fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 9, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Carbonate posted:

Wheel bearing failed at about 140km/h on the entry to a corner, wheel came off (and smacked the tire wall, bounced about 30 feet up and cratered in the gravel) and he spun. Car went off the track, spun twice in the mud and muck, came back on track pointed in the right direction and off the line! So he just drove the 4-500 meters to the pit entrance.

I was doing control and was in our tower, so I was looking at it from a much better angle. Quite interesting. A few years ago we kept having VW golfs breaking rear spindles, so I hope we don't have a spat of Miata's losing their front tires!

If you go race/lap/etc, expect weird poo poo like this to happen. If you can't deal with it, don't go on track! We've had people during lapping days try to pay our tow driver to drop their wrecked Porsche/Ferrari/whatever on the road so they could try to claim insurance!

Wait, is that AMP? Pretty sure I saw that car getting unloaded yesterday before I left the track.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

rscott posted:

Id side with the "they didnt clamp it down" hypothesis someone mentioned earlier. If that was a massive tool failure youd hear it and hit the estop hopefully well before THAT much damage got done. If not it might be policy review/where the hell was he? time.

The only thing that goes against that is the nicely done outside milling which are clearly cam generated tool paths that I'd assume would cause it to fly out. That could be from a different machining operation though.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 9, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
If it was more than lake of clamping you'd probably have more pictures of the horrible failures to boot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Whatever the gently caress it is, I want to hang it on my garage wall.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't really have a problem tracking my bike because I figure if I do go down at the track it'll end up better than an insurance covered eating of poo poo at any number of local canyon spots. I push my limits at the track and ride the corner speed - 2nd gear only - avoid brakes pace in the canyon and I pretty much consider them about equally as safe from a crashing standpoint, with the track weighing heavily in favor safety wise. Riding pace in the canyons is still enough to heat cycle tires though. :v:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

rscott posted:

what went wrong?

My guess is a bad Z offset on an aluminum sub-plate. Tool went too deep cutting the pockets and they didn't notice because the material underneath was the same.

There's too many jagged edges with nice clean material between. If that was a tool failure it would just be one area. If it was just poorly clamped down somebody should have heard it chattering and stopped it.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Crustashio posted:

Wait, is that AMP? Pretty sure I saw that car getting unloaded yesterday before I left the track.

Yeah, I was Chief Marshal yesterday. I was there every race weekend this year both cars and bikes. Don't get out to the lapping/solo stuff much though.

Were you around for the Legends race? That was pretty awesome, eh?

Carbonate fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 9, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

oxbrain posted:

My guess is a bad Z offset on an aluminum sub-plate. Tool went too deep cutting the pockets and they didn't notice because the material underneath was the same.

There's too many jagged edges with nice clean material between. If that was a tool failure it would just be one area. If it was just poorly clamped down somebody should have heard it chattering and stopped it.

Pretty close. It was a bad z offset on the tool itself, not the table. Made a hell of a racket once it started hitting the table underneath but I guess the operator was deburring some parts and didn't notice.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

rscott posted:

once it started hitting the table underneath

Fuuuuuuck.

Are the tabletops consumables or did this mistake have a ridiculous price tag?

Was the bad setting in the software or the hardware? I don't know much about the work but I'm surprised the hardware's capable of reaching itself.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Fuuuuuuck.

Are the tabletops consumables or did this mistake have a ridiculous price tag?

A lot of places use a surface plate because once you get to the hardened table top your life is not good and shame is forever brought upon you as a machinist. Same for the tops of vises.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think the bigger concern was for the tool, the tables need to stand up to a lot of abuse as it is. Basically right now we're running 2 offsets because we have 9 new machines running these parts and the dimensions we need are in between the two offsets, so we're finding out which machine needs to run which offset to get in tolerance right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Its not uncommon to run 3 offsets, a Z work offset, a tool height offset, and a radial offset (wear comp) unless I am confused to your meaning.