Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
My google fu is very weak. I have searched all over for information on how to manage this:

Outlook 2011

1. Is it posible to sync the calendar function to my phone via my ical/native calendar- this is where I store most of my information
2. Is it possible to sync the calendar to my google calendar?

I like having everything in one native program but it seems like having Mail and Calendar do there own thing is the best I can hope for. I wish apple would integrate their productivity suites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In my experience they only do the old iTunes sharing, not Home Sharing. It's not nearly as robust of a solution.

drat. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

I wish apple would integrate their productivity suites.
You're loco. With google sync you could sync outlook to a google calendar, then just add that in your phone.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

I wish apple would integrate their productivity suites.

They are integrated, just not in the same application.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

They are integrated, just not in the same application.
Yeah. I'd never go back to outlook ever if I had the chance. I don't even like mac os that much, I just hate outlook.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I can't believe how loving retarded multi-display support is in OS X. Want to run your browser in full screen on your Air, with your text editor full screen on a Thunderbolt Display? gently caress you! Have some dark linen! Do you have /two/ Thunderbolt Displays? Well I hope you like two thousand dollars worth of DARK LINEN.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I can't believe how loving retarded multi-display support is in OS X. Want to run your browser in full screen on your Air, with your text editor full screen on a Thunderbolt Display? gently caress you! Have some dark linen! Do you have /two/ Thunderbolt Displays? Well I hope you like two thousand dollars worth of DARK LINEN.

Is there any hack to fix this? I mean, I can't believe nobody has come out with anything...

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

timb posted:

Is there any hack to fix this? I mean, I can't believe nobody has come out with anything...

If you're fine with it not really being fullscreen (do any fullscreen apps actually introduce new functionality?) then you can just get something like SizeUp and use that to maximize the window without fullscreen mode.

SizeUp is pretty boss and you should be using it anyway!

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

piratepilates posted:

If you're fine with it not really being fullscreen (do any fullscreen apps actually introduce new functionality?) then you can just get something like SizeUp and use that to maximize the window without fullscreen mode.

SizeUp is pretty boss and you should be using it anyway!

And if you want something like SizeUp or Divvy on steroids checkout Slate. Free too!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BTTool can do on-drag fullscreen/halfscreen/quarterscreen like W7 and it's massively improved my OS-X experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Full-screen is intended for laptops with low-res screens like the 11" Air or the 13" Pro

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Full-screen is intended for laptops with low-res screens like the 11" Air or the 13" Pro

That's what I'm using it with? Also this is a really lovely, feeble, meaningless justification.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WHOIS John Galt posted:

That's what I'm using it with? Also this is a really lovely, feeble, meaningless justification.

Email Tim Cook or something.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Email Tim Cook or something.

The software is broken for some pretty fundamental use cases, and I'm asking for ways to work around it. Since you quite obviously have no alternative, nor anything interesting to add to the discussion, why are you posting?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

The software is broken for some pretty fundamental use cases, and I'm asking for ways to work around it. Since you quite obviously have no alternative, nor anything interesting to add to the discussion, why are you posting?

That's the way it was designed to be used. If you have a big monitor run your apps on the big screen.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

That's the way it was designed to be used. If you have a big monitor run your apps on the big screen.

Then it was designed poorly. This is a fairly common complaint and I can't believe you're arguing it's reasonable.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any solutions to it except to not use fullscreen.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Then it was designed poorly. This is a fairly common complaint and I can't believe you're arguing it's reasonable.

But he's not arguing. He's just posting the company line over and over again. I'm not sure he understands the purpose of a discussion forum.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

But he's not arguing. He's just posting the company line over and over again. I'm not sure he understands the purpose of a discussion forum.

What is there to discuss? It's OS X, not Linux-so even if you made some hack to make it work it would probably break something else or quit working once the next update comes put.

Do you really think Apple was sitting there like "Let's only make this work on one monitor..."? There's probably a good reason why it works the way that it does. Or doesn't work the way you want it to. Maybe they have a fix in the works and don't have there resources to QA it right now?

It's not like other things like Flash had dual-monitor fullscreen working right at first.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Bob Morales posted:

What is there to discuss?

I believe some work-arounds like Slate, SizeUp and BTTool were mentioned, so maybe that. Would that be all right with you?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

There's probably a good reason why it works the way that it does. Or doesn't work the way you want it to.

Steve Jobs is dead, you know. You can probably start questioning His Almighty Purpose at this point.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
If you start thinking through the interface changes and other weird edge cases needed to get switching between full-screen apps and spaces working well across two or three monitors of varying sizes, you can see how they just landed on full-screen stuff only working on one by default.

Hopefully they will improve it eventually, but it's definitely a problem for a tiny percentage of their users, and OS X still largely works just fine with multiple screens.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cbirdsong posted:

If you start thinking through the interface changes and other weird edge cases needed to get switching between full-screen apps and spaces working well across two or three monitors of varying sizes, you can see how they just landed on full-screen stuff only working on one by default.

Hopefully they will improve it eventually, but it's definitely a problem for a tiny percentage of their users, and OS X still largely works just fine with multiple screens.

I can see how they got lazy and said "gently caress it" to developing a workable solution, but I cannot see a reason that is a valid excuse for shipping this way.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Jealous Cow posted:

I can see how they got lazy and said "gently caress it" to developing a workable solution, but I cannot see a reason that is a valid excuse for shipping this way.

I agree that it sucks, but even Apple does not have an infinite number of resources. If they've determined that they cannot ship support for full-screen apps on multiple monitors without significantly rethinking Spaces/Mission Control and the related gestures. They can:

1) Delay the release of the OS and figure it out.

2) Cut full screen app support for everyone.

3) Disable the full screen button once two monitors are connected.

4) Ship what they shipped.

Considering how many people use multiple monitors, options 1 and 2 are obviously off the table. For my setup, option 4 might as well be option 3, but maybe you have your laptop plugged into a giant screen and never look at the tiny laptop display, in which case option 4 is just fine for you.

On top of this, full screen mode is obviously designed around smaller screens. Most apps just aren't designed around using a full 2560x1440 or even 1920x1200 screen effectively, and the kind of user with a second screen is probably going to have that second screen be pretty high-res, because the whole point is more usable space, which would be wasted by going full screen on most apps.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Integrating the expected multi-monitor support into Mission Control is a hard problem. I think Apple said "gently caress it" and shipped it this way because as much as we like to think we're the common case, it's very drat likely a small minority of people that use multiple monitors. I'm sure there are Apple engineers that desire the expected kind of multi-monitor support that we do, but they know better than any of us that Apple has higher priorities.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does anyone here, like, actually find Lion/ML Full Screen useful anyway? I really don't see the point, at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone here, like, actually find Lion/ML Full Screen useful anyway? I really don't see the point, at all.

Gives me just a wee bit more room when using stuff like Xcode and Safari. It's useful on my 11" Air.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's great for cases where you want no distractions. Even on a 30" Cinema Display, I usually full-screen Xcode to program.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The dev software I use is windows only. I'd love to be able to keep a full screen vm on my thunderbolt display and still use my MacBooks retina display for other stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only app I use fullscreen is lightroom 4 and that had working fullscreen before Lion.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Jealous Cow posted:

The dev software I use is windows only. I'd love to be able to keep a full screen vm on my thunderbolt display and still use my MacBooks retina display for other stuff.
I think VMware Fusion and maybe Parallels allows you to use their built-in code for full screening which works the way you want. Check your VM host app's preferences.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Jealous Cow posted:

Use one of the solutions that Zedlic posted above. I do this almost every day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bob Morales posted:

Gives me just a wee bit more room when using stuff like Xcode and Safari. It's useful on my 11" Air.

Fair enough. I guess it's just not for me... I have an 11" Air also

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll check that out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wolffenstein posted:

I think VMware Fusion and maybe Parallels allows you to use their built-in code for full screening which works the way you want. Check your VM host app's preferences.

Parallels does for sure. I prefer it for exactly that reason.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

I think VMware Fusion
Yes Fusion will let you use a VM as a desktop.

carry on then posted:

Parallels does for sure. I prefer it for exactly that reason.
lole?

carry on then posted:

Err, I guess I meant, "prefer [the old fullscreen code] for [the reason that I can have my other screen still useable]."
makes sense now. sorry for the snicker!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 9, 2012

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Err, I guess I meant, "prefer [the old fullscreen code] for [the reason that I can have my other screen still useable]."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
VMWare Fusion only does non-retarded fullscreen mode if you have >1 monitor. :smith:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I've been using the free version of Alfred for a couple of weeks, and it was okay, but not mind blowing. I thought I'd try out the powerpack anyway (Cheap enough + Support devs), and wow. Just wow. Being able to shortcut terminal commands makes it worth the money alone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

cbirdsong posted:

I agree that it sucks, but even Apple does not have an infinite number of resources. If they've determined that they cannot ship support for full-screen apps on multiple monitors without significantly rethinking Spaces/Mission Control and the related gestures. They can:

1) Delay the release of the OS and figure it out.

2) Cut full screen app support for everyone.

3) Disable the full screen button once two monitors are connected.

4) Ship what they shipped.

Considering how many people use multiple monitors, options 1 and 2 are obviously off the table. For my setup, option 4 might as well be option 3, but maybe you have your laptop plugged into a giant screen and never look at the tiny laptop display, in which case option 4 is just fine for you.

On top of this, full screen mode is obviously designed around smaller screens. Most apps just aren't designed around using a full 2560x1440 or even 1920x1200 screen effectively, and the kind of user with a second screen is probably going to have that second screen be pretty high-res, because the whole point is more usable space, which would be wasted by going full screen on most apps.
I've been thinking about this, and I would propose:

5) Change the behaviour of full-screen mode to simply 'super-maximize' the app instead of granting it its own desktop. So moving an app to a second monitor and full-screening it would have it fill just that monitor as you'd expect, and you could potentially have multiple full-screen apps on top of each other on one monitor.

I confess I don't use fullscreen mode (because it's largely useless to me and I forget I have apps on other desktops open) and obviously I don't have any actual data but I can't imagine the downsides to laptop / single screen users (i.e. having to cmd-tab instead of swipe between fullscreen app) would outweigh the upsides to anybody who uses multiple monitors, where fullscreen would now be a viable option.

Edit: I guess this would fall inside of your option 1 but WHATEVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Screw using multiple monitors, just use virtual desktops