Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I normally hate TVIV with a rage boner that pulsates like Dany's rear end in a top hat as she shits her way to another thrilling ASOIAF climax, but I will totally watch the red wedding live with those loving imbeciles.

P.s. it's a shame you dorks don't like sports, because football live threads with the SAS goons is probably the funniest thing on these forums.

I like TVIV and sports and also I am a dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sophia posted:

I like TVIV and sports and also I am a dork.

And a woman.

unrelated:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I wonder if SA will ever offer the purchase of a No GRRM upgrade to your account because let me tell you I'd get a lot of use out of it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sophia posted:

I wonder if SA will ever offer the purchase of a No GRRM upgrade to your account because let me tell you I'd get a lot of use out of it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Please Lowtax, take more of my money :gonk:

The worst part is my friend thinks he just looks like Santa Claus.

I disagree.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 9, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Did your friend have....bad...experiences on the shopping mall Santa's lap?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thulsa Doom posted:

Usually when I deign to watch television I... watch television, without feeling the need to type out my thoughts. I am going to watch the thread live for that episode, however. I want to watch as their shock turns into dull uncomprehension and from there crystallizes into the realization that their pretty pretty hero boy is dead because of his true love and the good guys are all going to die and lose and the people who are mean are the ones who win. It will remind me of when I thought these books were good and my sadness will flavor their sorrow, like a grape floating in a glass of vodka.

Also if they don't take advantage of the established climax episode followed by denouement episode, they're idiots.

I hadn't read any of the books until about a month ago and then I plowed through all of them. Honestly I'm a bit disappointed I'm not going to be one of those people experiencing the show-based shock and rage from the Red Wedding.

I think it's going to hit show watchers a lot harder than it hits people who read the books because Robb isn't a POV character in the books and also the books foreshadow his demise lot more than I expect the show to. The show already cut Dany's HOTU visions, for instance, and in the book they go on about Robb's need for an heir and you kinda start to get this feeling of dread.

Plus Richard Madden's Robb is really likable. It's gonna be devastating to people and I can't wait. I hope the show continues to avoid foreshadowing that as much as they can. Make it as much a devastating surprise as possible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Robb was my favorite "good guy" so the Red Wedding hit me just right.

Jaime was my favorite "bad guy" so his arc was amazing until he went emo in King's Landing.

And of course Tyrion rode a pig.

And Dany's only moments in the sun were :pcgaming: DRAGONS :pcgaming: , HOTU, and poop geyser.

Jon was always meh, most of the other characters are exposition, Arya was great, but going nowhere, and then there's Victarion :black101: who will probably end up chumping out.

Basically, the ending I wrote in my head is better than what the GRUM plans to never put out.

Ok, enough book chat. Time for more awful poo poo.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Dear merciful god. I dragged myself back to this thread only to find picture after picture of that fat greasy gently caress. The Sansa gif perfectly captured my response, jesus.

I look forward to the Red Wedding. I used to think Zombie Cat was the stupidest thing ever, but now I kinda want to see if they go for it. And Robb with a bitchin wolf head sewn to his neck.

My secret shame is that I desperately wish we could see Zombie Robb as the King in the North. I want him on the throne in Winterfell with his whole family of undead around him as snow falls over the charred ruins of his castle. The direwolves gnawing on corpses, Bran possessing people, Jon raising his army of wights at the Wall--giants, mammoths, hordes of undead--all marching South as winter finally comes. Black Night's Watch and Stark banners intermingled. God, that would be awesome.

When winter comes, the river will freeze and Zombie King Robb won't need those bridges, oh no.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Robb was my favorite "good guy" so the Red Wedding hit me just right.

Jaime was my favorite "bad guy" so his arc was amazing until he went emo in King's Landing.

And of course Tyrion rode a pig.

And Dany's only moments in the sun were :pcgaming: DRAGONS :pcgaming: , HOTU, and poop geyser.

Jon was always meh, most of the other characters are exposition, Arya was great, but going nowhere, and then there's Victarion :black101: who will probably end up chumping out.

Basically, the ending I wrote in my head is better than what the GRUM plans to never put out.

Ok, enough book chat. Time for more awful poo poo.

Naw, Dany's best moment was when she bought all of the slaves and then massacred the town with them

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Naw, Dany's best moment was when she bought all of the slaves and then massacred the town with them
Yeah, that was legitimately awesome. I miss when I thought she was going to fly straight over to Westeros and gently caress poo poo up with dragonfire :black101:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I sat on a shopping mall santa once and he might have had a huge boner and then he asked if I wanted my present early

Then he gave me a copy of ADWD

Worst Christmas Ever

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

In It For The Tank posted:

I hope they change it to Roose decapitating Robb just so there's no doubt.

Also I hope they shoot Robb with like 50 arrows and then set him on fire.

I hope we get Robbwind, personally. For all its tits, the show has been sorely lacking in the gross/horrific bits that build the reader's character.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My step-grandpa was a mall Santa. Every year, he'd get a case of spray-in frost from the dollar store to make his beard white and glittery, also to cover the nicotine stains. He'd spray his suit with cinnamon air freshener, and put rouge on his cheeks and nose. My grandma played Mrs. Claus and ran the camera. :3:

My step-grandpa sexually abused my mother when she was 12. Ho ho loving ho.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Ah, Victarion. Meaner than the Hound, less likeable than Stannis, and more insecure than Theon. The kind of guy who can't gently caress his slave without getting butt-sore over who had her first.

It takes a special kind of worthless rear end in a top hat to turn Princess Shitsprinkle into an actual protagonist by comparison. I hope to read many pointless deaths in the books ahead :allears:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

whoflungpoop posted:

Meaner than the Hound, less likeable than Stannis, and more insecure than Theon. The kind of guy who can't gently caress his slave without getting butt-sore over who had her first.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Dear god. How can anyone be less likable than Stannis? The only reason I like Stannis at all is through the show. And I refuse to believe anyone could be more insecure than Theon. That poor fucker. He should've stayed and died with Robb at the the Red Wedding. At least then he would've died with some respect.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

empty sea posted:

Dear god. How can anyone be less likable than Stannis? The only reason I like Stannis at all is through the show. And I refuse to believe anyone could be more insecure than Theon. That poor fucker. He should've stayed and died with Robb at the the Red Wedding. At least then he would've died with some respect.

I kind of like Stannis because he's kind of like Mark Corrigan in a medieval fantasy setting. With 90% more teeth grinding.

But yeah, Victarion stopped being endearing when a good chunk of his angst turned up as, "I murdered my wife because she slept with my brother. Clearly, it is my brother's fault that I committed this act."

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Victarion is the best character because his POV is so far removed from any kind of political intrigue or intelligence. It's literally just the world's angriest pirate-viking sailing around murdering and raping people while brooding about everyone else he wants to murder and rape.

Also:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
In conclusion:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If that Kraken helmet doesn't look awesome in the show I don't know if I'd be able to keep watching.

Also my parents came around the other day to borrow all the books. I am a bad son.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How can anyone dislike the Greyjoy version of Stannis? Victarion owns.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I liked show Stannis too. I'm sure show Victarion will be more likeable as well for the same reason, that the format spares the audience chapters worth of all their embittered :jerkbag: over their brothers.

Obsessive, internalized, ballhair-burning jealousy of siblings is up there with food, rape-bastards, and pretty girls making GBS threads as topics requiring special GRRM attention.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whoflungpoop posted:

I liked show Stannis too. I'm sure show Victarion will be more likeable as well for the same reason, that the format spares the audience chapters worth of all their embittered :jerkbag: over their brothers.

Obsessive, internalized, ballhair-burning jealousy of siblings is up there with food, rape-bastards, and pretty girls making GBS threads as topics requiring special GRRM attention.

Stephane Dillane fuckin' owns too. If they can find someone half as good for Victarion that will do a lot for the character just like Dillane did for Stannis.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Do I get a commission if I point you guys to likely sales targets for Game of Bones?

If so: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510934

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
For the people who like show Stannis: was it the assault on King's Landing that did it for you, or did you like his portrayal the whole season?

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

whowhatwhere posted:

For the people who like show Stannis: was it the assault on King's Landing that did it for you, or did you like his portrayal the whole season?

I don't know exactly what it was. I wasn't really emotionally invested in Stannis while I was reading the books. He just came off as a stubborn rear end in a top hat who couldn't get over the fact that even though he is technically (until Gendry shows up and gets confirmed as Not So Secret Baratheon) the heir to the throne, nobody actually wants him there and he's fighting a massively losing battle.

However, in the show, you get a lot more feeling of Stannis' desperation. He's become overwhelmed with the idea of taking the throne from the psycho bitch his brother married and her homicidal incest baby, and he will literally stop at nothing to get it, even if it means making horrible decisions. TV Stannis gives you the impression that Stannis isn't just a greedy, power-mad fuckwad (as he comes off in the books), he's just a dude gaming for hot redhead pussy and consequently does a bunch of stupid poo poo because Melisandre told him it'd be a great idea and he'll TOTALLY be king if he just listens to her.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So wait...he becomes more likeable because he's...even more of an idiot in the show? What?

Also never saw the power-mad fuckwad bit in the books. What gave that impression, other than that he's willing to do nearly anything to secure his kingdom?

e: vvv and I disagree with that as well. I think he would fight to be king no matter what Melisandre told him. He cannot abandon that without admitting that his entire life is misery without any real purpose, that he's been making his life and that of everyone around him horrible because of the lies of law.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 9, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Stannis isn't just a greedy, power-mad fuckwad (as he comes off in the books)

I never once got that impression from Stan. He had always come across to me as a guy who was pursuing the throne because the rules say it is his and all these other people are usurpers so gently caress them. Then of course Mel shows up and starts feeding his insecurity, and I think it's more because she knows he would actually give up without the pressure of Being Azor Ahai.

I feel like Stan and Ned are very similar in their actions, only their motivations are very different. They both play by the rules. Ned does so because it's the right thing to do, and he's aware that sometimes the rules are wrong and you have to take care of business. Stan is an authoritarian, obeying the law because it's the law so gently caress you. I don't think Stan truly wants the throne in the beginning, he's just after it because it is legally his; it's only later where begins to desire kingship for its own sake because he's being manipulated.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

whoflungpoop posted:

Victarion is literally one of the most villainous characters in the whole series, I'm not exactly sure how they're going to make him likeable.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sexpansion posted:

Victarion is literally one of the most villainous characters in the whole series, I'm not exactly sure how they're going to make him likeable.

In the same way you make any villain likeable: make him memorable and larger than life. Play down the "MY WIFE MADE ME BEAT HER TO DEATH" bits because that's diminishing (until you want to diminish him of course). Play up the lack of fear of drowning, the practical bits of whimsy (appealing to three deities in one sacrifice, for example), etc.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

whowhatwhere posted:

So wait...he becomes more likeable because he's...even more of an idiot in the show? What?

Also never saw the power-mad fuckwad bit in the books. What gave that impression, other than that he's willing to do nearly anything to secure his kingdom?

e: vvv and I disagree with that as well. I think he would fight to be king no matter what Melisandre told him. He cannot abandon that without admitting that his entire life is misery without any real purpose, that he's been making his life and that of everyone around him horrible because of the lies of law.

He's more likeable to me because you can actually empathize with him in the show, at least. It's not that he's more of an idiot, he does the exact same poo poo he does in the books. For me, because I can see his face and his body language and his reactions to things visually, rather than as described in text, it allows me to sympathize with him. He has moments of emotion concerning what's going on that are either lacking or are just not as powerful in the book as they are when you can actually watch him.

The power-mad idiocy comes from when he starts loving Melisandre and converting religions and forcing everyone under his fealty to convert as well. He'd be less of an idiot if he had just stuck to fighting the war in the way he knew how. Would he have lost right away, considering that King's Landing has approximately a million more of every necessary resource for engaging in a war than Stannis does? Yep. But he would have also ended up retaining the respect that people originally held for him. He lost most of it when he started loving Melisandre and diving head-first into magic that he knows nothing about and forcing his bannermen to convert to a religion that they all pretty much consider demon worship.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I never once got that impression from Stan. He had always come across to me as a guy who was pursuing the throne because the rules say it is his and all these other people are usurpers so gently caress them. Then of course Mel shows up and starts feeding his insecurity, and I think it's more because she knows he would actually give up without the pressure of Being Azor Ahai.

I feel like Stan and Ned are very similar in their actions, only their motivations are very different. They both play by the rules. Ned does so because it's the right thing to do, and he's aware that sometimes the rules are wrong and you have to take care of business. Stan is an authoritarian, obeying the law because it's the law so gently caress you. I don't think Stan truly wants the throne in the beginning, he's just after it because it is legally his; it's only later where begins to desire kingship for its own sake because he's being manipulated.

You pretty much explained why I consider him a greedy moron later on. I mean, he has people right and left telling him "This is a pretty bad idea, Stannis, it's angering the men/your wife/all of Westeros", but he just keeps on trucking. Yeah, he's got his motivations, but he knows drat well that what he's doing is doomed to fail and poorly thought-out and I'm not sure exactly what he was expecting to happen.

I started typing out a long thing about Stannis and Melisandre, but in the end what pissed me off is that Stannis pulled a Dany. I can sort of forgive Dany because she's still a kid with an overly-romantic view of the world and at 16, giving up everything for Daario loving Naharis probably seemed like a great and logical idea. Stannis is a grown man and doesn't really have an excuse, in my opinion.

Lolitas Alright! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 9, 2012

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Lolitas Alright! posted:

The power-mad idiocy comes from when he starts loving Melisandre and converting religions and forcing everyone under his fealty to convert as well. He'd be less of an idiot if he had just stuck to fighting the war in the way he knew how. Would he have lost right away, considering that King's Landing has approximately a million more of every necessary resource for engaging in a war than Stannis does? Yep. But he would have also ended up retaining the respect that people originally held for him. He lost most of it when he started loving Melisandre and diving head-first into magic that he knows nothing about and forcing his bannermen to convert to a religion that they all pretty much consider demon worship.

Well, it was his wife who originally converted to R'hllor, and seems to be the most fanatical about it. For Stannis the religion seems to be an extra thing; his main focuses are duty and the law. That's why he went to war. That is the reason he keeps fighting. He thinks he's king, and being kinging means duty. Melisandre's presence is a benefit to him, since people actually like her, or at least they fear her. Or this is how he sees it. Since he's aware of how unlikable he is, and of how paltry his forces are in comparison to ever other king's, he's willing to try anything that will get people on his side. Whether it actually does...well, it seems to work for the Queen's Men. You need supporters to win a war, and there's no prize for smashing your forces against an army that's much, much bigger than yours. If your supporters respect you afterwards, then they're respecting you from their graves or their prison cells. The religion of R'hllor has a strong element of proselytizing and getting people to convert, so I assumed that, to him, getting people to convert and getting more followers from Melisandre's influence was preferable to having no chance at winning the war.

When he allies with the Northmen, this argument gets pretty weak. But if Melisandre finally understands what her fires are telling her, he can't count on her support for much longer.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
He is king. The Iron Throne is his by rights.

He's also the only character in the book who would be even a competent ruler. Everyone else with a claim to the throne is either nuts or about to rise from death and take vengeance on the world.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

That's the thing for me, too. Stan is the legitimate monarch of the Seven Kingdoms, as much as anyone could be. Dany's family was deposed, the Lords all swore fealty to his family, the Baratheon are the royals now. That's the law so gently caress all y'all usurpers.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Thulsa Doom posted:

He is king. The Iron Throne is his by rights.

He's also the only character in the book who would be even a competent ruler. Everyone else with a claim to the throne is either nuts or about to rise from death and take vengeance on the world.

Wants do not enter into it? Etc etc etc.

He's also the one who isn't sixteen. Though I gotta say, a strict interpretation of the law wouldn't necessarily make for a just ruler.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

That certainly didn't hurt, but I agree with Lolitas Alright. Dillane just makes him more sympathetic with his acting.

I like both book and show Stannis though. What I like about Stannis is he is the most forward thinking honorable character in the series. Yes he plays by the rules as much as he can but he also is willing to elevate people based on merit rather than bloodlines. He elevates Davos because Davos gets poo poo done. He converts to Melisandre's religion and makes use of her because she gets poo poo done.

And he'd be the best king for the realm because he's just about completely incorruptible. You can't lure him in with sex. You can't bribe him. He doesn't play favorites. He's not cruel. He's strict as gently caress but he'd look out for people.

And so far in the books he's the only king who put the realm ahead of personal desires because if not for him the wall would have fallen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's the thing for me, too. Stan is the legitimate monarch of the Seven Kingdoms, as much as anyone could be. Dany's family was deposed, the Lords all swore fealty to his family, the Baratheon are the royals now. That's the law so gently caress all y'all usurpers.

I think I finally really don't give a poo poo anymore.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

Gendry. :colbert:

Yeah yeah I know, lack of legitimacy, but still. Go Bull Helm or go the gently caress home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

constantinople posted:

Wants do not enter into it? Etc etc etc.

He's also the one who isn't sixteen. Though I gotta say, a strict interpretation of the law wouldn't necessarily make for a just ruler.

How could it be worse than such amazing political theories as "I really want to gently caress that guy with the blue beard", or "I AM THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS" or "I am also a blonde lady who wants to gently caress a guy with a beard, what's up with that?" or "I am the mouth breathing retarded son of Ned Stark who does stupid Ned Stark things that resulted in my inevitable death (and probably will, repeatedly) or possibly "As a woman, I think the ideal form of government would be a viking rapeocracy".