Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I can't believe you're pursuing this.

I can believe you're dodging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
But the visuals are nowhere near what they could and should be :colbert:

(Also insert some complaining about it being an old game and not a version of MH4 or something)

Edit- serious post now, I wonder how it'll go over with attendees considering it's hard to get a hold of at first. Did 3G change any core mechanics or just add content?

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 9, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference. :corsair: (I am 21 and have 20:20 vision and a 32 inch 1080p TV. I don't know what the gently caress is 1080 and what's 560. 480 on the Wii kind of looks like poo poo though.)

Just poking fun with the comparisons.

Depending on how far away you are, you might have a hard time telling the difference on a 32 inch TV. A bigger TV or a smaller distance between you and the screen makes it more clear. It matters more on a computer monitor because there's a good chance the monitor is almost all of your vision.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

japtor posted:

Edit- serious post now, I wonder how it'll go over with attendees considering it's hard to get a hold of at first. Did 3G change any core mechanics or just add content?

Judging by 3DS videos, attack speeds and attacks in general haven't changed (noticeably) from MHP3. Weapons have been rebalanced damage-wise but they're still working on the damage charts, and then they'll have to work on the translations so we can understand exactly how hard we are hitting virtual animals in the face with giant anime hammers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the NSMB games look weird? All of them, I mean. Something about the art style is fundamentally unappealing to me.

Nope, I can't stand 2d platformers with 3d characters, with the lone exception being LBP. I'm not begging for the return of sprites or anything but a Rayman-like portrayal would be vastly superior to what we've got.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I always feel like sprites never reached their potential peak, cut-off by the arrival of N64/PSX/Saturn and the failure of 32x/SegaCD. But then you see the Neo-Geo games going up well past 2000 and it's amazing what some of the games look like. I can think of loads of SNES/Genesis games that would be incredible with Neo-Geo detail/smoothness. Unfortunately 3D in a 2D perspective is easier to make :(

Oh and not to mention quite a few efforts on DS showed examples of i guess, current gen sprite-gaming and the fact it's still very popular. Things like Scribblenauts having sprite rotation and physics was interesting, you could imagine a lot of ways of adding that kind of power into older titles too.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 9, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The new King of Fighters games look insanely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kADZnx0xKY
Bring back 2d with a budget.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference. :corsair: (I am 21 and have 20:20 vision and a 32 inch 1080p TV. I don't know what the gently caress is 1080 and what's 560. 480 on the Wii kind of looks like poo poo though.)

Just poking fun with the comparisons.

From a distance, I think it's hard to tell the difference between 1080i and 720p on anything smaller than a 40 inch TV.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cliff Racer posted:

Nope, I can't stand 2d platformers with 3d characters, with the lone exception being LBP. I'm not begging for the return of sprites or anything but a Rayman-like portrayal would be vastly superior to what we've got.

I've been saying this before, but I would pay top dollar for a 2D Mario with this aesthetic:

Hell, if they could do it in 3D with celshading or whatever I'd be happy too.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
Moving from Mario to another WiiU platformer...

Rayman Legends has been delayed until Q1 2013

quote:

"We're happy that fans are excited about the game, and we are taking the time to make sure we deliver a game that lives up to and hopefully exceeds their expectations. We'll have more details to share soon."

I really hope this is them going "Well poo poo people don't want Murphy levels? Guess we'd better take them out". Because I will gladly wait longer if that's the case.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Judging by 3DS videos, attack speeds and attacks in general haven't changed (noticeably) from MHP3. Weapons have been rebalanced damage-wise but they're still working on the damage charts, and then they'll have to work on the translations so we can understand exactly how hard we are hitting virtual animals in the face with giant anime hammers.

A complete change list from MH Tri Wii to MH3U 3DS. All of the content updates are featured in MH3U WiiU, plus the 1080p, online play, voice chat, and so on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Monode posted:

Moving from Mario to another WiiU platformer...

Rayman Legends has been delayed until Q1 2013

I really hope this is them going "Well poo poo people don't want Murphy levels? Guess we'd better take them out". Because I will gladly wait longer if that's the case.

Late by a number of pages, but doubt that's the case. I think at most they'll rework it so you can change midstage that way it's not all murphy.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Late by a number of pages, but doubt that's the case. I think at most they'll rework it so you can change midstage that way it's not all murphy.

I figured that'd be the case but couldn't see it posted... Oh well.

I wouldn't mind being Murphy for some gimmicky fun but I would like the choice to do a run-through with just Rayman.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

The Torch item is again found in Supply Boxes and outside Moga Village in Free Hunt mode, though all the previously dark areas now have normal lighting like in Portable 3rd.

No more lovely dark areas yesss

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iacen posted:

I've been saying this before, but I would pay top dollar for a 2D Mario with this aesthetic:

Someone posted this before and I agree'd then and completely agree now; but I don't think they'll do it with their "New" franchise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Wario game on the Wii was absolutely beautiful. I've love to see a hand animated Mario like that.

Has anyone played Sonic all stars racing? I watched the trailer for the new one and I'm getting major Diddy Kong racing vibes crossed with a little F Zero GX. It looks like it seriously might be good. Any opinions?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Nope, I actually forgot it came out. I was just expecting a Sonic game to bomb, I guess. Anyway, there's a thread for the sequel here (though the OP got banned).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

The Wario game on the Wii was absolutely beautiful. I've love to see a hand animated Mario like that.

Has anyone played Sonic all stars racing? I watched the trailer for the new one and I'm getting major Diddy Kong racing vibes crossed with a little F Zero GX. It looks like it seriously might be good. Any opinions?

From what I heard a lot of the characters were DLC, that might leave a bitter taste in your mouth if you really wanted to play as Ulala or some other obscure character. Other than that the game looked okay to me.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The new King of Fighters games look insanely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kADZnx0xKY
Bring back 2d with a budget.
Man I didn't even know they were still making King of Fighters games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

From what I heard a lot of the characters were DLC, that might leave a bitter taste in your mouth if you really wanted to play as Ulala or some other obscure character. Other than that the game looked okay to me.

Yeah if a bunch of characters are dlc that won't really bother me since I have no idea who they are and never played their games anyway. I just wanna race as that dwarf.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Iacen posted:

This looks like what I'd expect from a hypothetical future Yoshi's Island title, especially since Yoshi's Island was designed as pushback against the 3D rendering course games were taking.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Cliff Racer posted:

...nooooooooo? Most of the characters were UNLOCKABLES, that you didn't have to PAY MONEY WITH. It wasn't even that obnoxious. It felt like you were rewarded for playing the game.

There was only one DLC character and track. Metal Sonic and the Death Egg Station or something like that.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Iacen posted:

I think the horsepower jump from Wii to WiiU would be well used making a 3D rendered 2D platformer look spritebased or at least cartoonlike. They could also make the best of it and make the camera whip around after a death or stage end. Personally I'd like to see something that plays like 3DLand on a console.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rayman is an excellent example of how to do modern sprites. Super fluid animations, and a lightning engine that makes the environments seem alive and dynamic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Strange Matter posted:

Man I didn't even know they were still making King of Fighters games.

KOF XIII was the best game at the last EVO.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

KOF is definitely not a newbie-friendly fighter though. All sorts of 100% -> 0 combos and a crazy amount of tech stuff you need to learn before you can play the game properly.

I agree though, KOF XIII looks incredible.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

greatn posted:

Something like DKCR is about as reasonably happy as I can be with '2.5D' art design, and it does allow for some uniquely fluid backgrounds and active pacing. But up until Rayman Origins hit, Wario Land: Shake It! was honestly the most beautiful purely 2D game I'd ever played. It's still dizzying to me just how much detail is drawn into the remotest background object or terrain, and the sprite animations themselves have pretty much cartoon-caliber fluidity. Seeing 2D Mario titles move in that direction would be a dream come true.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

3G/MH3U is a port of Tri, not P3.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

3G/MH3U is a port of Tri, not P3.

I know, but content-wise the bulk of it is coming from P3. All of the new weapons and monsters etc. were in portable 3rd, there's some additional new content, a whole new rank and swimming is back but yeah.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Monode posted:

The Murphy levels sound like they're the only things that take advantage of the Wii U controller, so taking them out... would actually be pretty smart on Ubisoft's part. Then they could release the game on PS3, 360, PC and your microwave and make a hell of a lot more money than they would ever see with a Wii U exclusive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

I know, but content-wise the bulk of it is coming from P3. All of the new weapons and monsters etc. were in portable 3rd, there's some additional new content, a whole new rank and swimming is back but yeah.

So, is MH3U a giant amalgamation of P3 and Tri with bonus stuff?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Liku posted:

So, is MH3U a giant amalgamation of P3 and Tri with bonus stuff?

Easiest way to say it.

Boijoina
Oct 9, 2012
been lurking, don't think this has been addressed, so apologies if i'm mistaken

Ok, what I'm intensely wary of is the fact that there are no Wiimotes out of the box, giving developers seemingly no incentive to develop games with that control scheme in mind. I greatly enjoyed wiimote control, I know it's not everyones cup of tea but even without motion control options (waggle, etc) i found it real comfy.

Are my fears mistaken? Will the install base concerning the massive numbers of Wii's sold help negate developers (seeming) lack of incentive to include wii-mote control?

What do you think?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Almost Smart posted:

The Murphy levels sound like they're the only things that take advantage of the Wii U controller, so taking them out... would actually be pretty smart on Ubisoft's part. Then they could release the game on PS3, 360, PC and your microwave and make a hell of a lot more money than they would ever see with a Wii U exclusive.
They could port it now if they wanted to, 360's got that SmartGlass poo poo and PS3 plans to use the Vita for that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Boijoina posted:

What do you think?

I think what Nintendo assumes is that the people picking up the WiiU already have their Wii accessories along with extra remotes, so they're more than likely trying to prevent manufacturing extra remotes needlessly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

They could port it now if they wanted to, 360's got that SmartGlass poo poo and PS3 plans to use the Vita for that.

That's a pretty expensive loving controller.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've already got a full set of remotes, so I appreciate not having to pay extra for some.

Nintendo will be making sure to supply stores with a lot of Wiimote/Nunchuk bundles that are Wii-U branded so that even the most confused consumer will know "I can use this". They've got this poo poo covered.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'd really prefer the Pro controller became the norm for local multiplayer, and Wii remotes would only be used where it made sense.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I've already got a full set of remotes, so I appreciate not having to pay extra for some.

Nintendo will be making sure to supply stores with a lot of Wiimote/Nunchuk bundles that are Wii-U branded so that even the most confused consumer will know "I can use this". They've got this poo poo covered.

I've already seen rebranded Wii Remote Plus controllers at some stores. They mention they're for the Wii U, and then say they're compatible with the original Wii. Hopefully, that alleviates some confusion. It ain't like the packaging for them is overly complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It is really, very awkward to say "Weeyoo." I wish they had named it Super Wii or Wii Omega or something.

• Locked thread