Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Lord Bude posted:

I've never understood this attitude. If I buy a product that ends up failing unreasonably early, or is in someway defective, the last thing I'd be prepared to do is waste time contacting the manufacturer and waiting for them to decide to send me another one. I'm going to take it back to the store I bought it from, get a refund, purchase a replacement and be back home within the hour. A mouse is not something you can live without for days at a time, it is a basic household necessity.

When a company makes products that are known for failing often, you don't say, oh what a good company, see how hassle free it is to get a replacement. You say, this company makes poo poo products and I'm not making the mistake of buying them again. When something breaks, the hassle has already happened, and companies shouldn't be rewarded for making poo poo products.

I've never heard of Logitech being a company that churns out lovely or defective products but has stellar customer support to compensate.

It's perfectly natural to feel like taking your chances with another company's offering after your experience with one company is lacking. Whether or not that's representative of the big picture is another. There's a lot of horror stories of people's Logitech mice having problems because of the cord or the occasional glitchy button. There's also many happy customers because Logitech gave them a free mouse or a discount to replace an old one that's out of warranty.

If you need a replacement now, going to the store is almost always the best idea, assuming they have a decent policy for that. I have some mice for backup in the short term and I know that Logitech responds to support questions fast and ships fast too. Razer's quality is wildly inconsistent, but I've heard nothing good or bad about their support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Argas posted:

I've never heard of Logitech being a company that churns out lovely or defective products but has stellar customer support to compensate.

It's perfectly natural to feel like taking your chances with another company's offering after your experience with one company is lacking. Whether or not that's representative of the big picture is another. There's a lot of horror stories of people's Logitech mice having problems because of the cord or the occasional glitchy button. There's also many happy customers because Logitech gave them a free mouse or a discount to replace an old one that's out of warranty.

If you need a replacement now, going to the store is almost always the best idea, assuming they have a decent policy for that. I have some mice for backup in the short term and I know that Logitech responds to support questions fast and ships fast too. Razer's quality is wildly inconsistent, but I've heard nothing good or bad about their support.

I just don't understand why anyone would deal directly with a manufacturer, and the time it involves, rather than the retailer that sold you the product. That being said, I live in Australia where retailers have a legal obligation to provide a refund for a defective product, or one that fails to last a reasonable length of time, but even if I didn't I'd at least try the retailer first.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

orphean posted:

I feel your pain. I used portable logitech mice for years but was always annoyed with the dongle since c'mon what laptop doesn't have bluetooth these days.

So when I got my new workstation I decided I'd try to find a bluetooth mouse and see what I thought, ended up just throwing the following into the cart at checkout:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/integration.workflow:ProductDisplayItem?GroupID=460&Code=41U5008

It was cheap so I wasn't worried about it if I hated the thing. But I ended up loving it. It's not fancy but it feels good, has decent battery life, and pretty much just works. So now my logitech laptop mice are gathering dust.

That said if someone comes out with a more full featured bluetooth mouse with good build quality I'd probably go for that.

Thanks, my parents have one of those so I'll check it out next time I'm visiting. Still weird how little is available for something so ubiquitous as Bluetooth.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
No manufacturer makes mice that are going to last 3-5 years of heavy use without breaking, it's just where the industry is at. It's like bemoaning inexpensive particle board furniture from Walmart doesn't last ten years. Nobody wants to spend $250 on a mouse that will last a decade when they could spend ~$50 on a reasonable one from Logitech and get a free replacement when they run it into the ground.

Unfortunately you're raging against a shift in how goods are produced in general. I'm no economics major (but if one wants to chime in that'd be great) but with the rise of businesses like Walmart the production of cheap "disposable" goods has largely overtaken more expensive sturdier alternatives.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BGrifter posted:

No manufacturer makes mice that are going to last 3-5 years of heavy use without breaking, it's just where the industry is at. It's like bemoaning inexpensive particle board furniture from Walmart doesn't last ten years. Nobody wants to spend $250 on a mouse that will last a decade when they could spend ~$50 on a reasonable one from Logitech and get a free replacement when they run it into the ground.

Unfortunately you're raging against a shift in how goods are produced in general. I'm no economics major (but if one wants to chime in that'd be great) but with the rise of businesses like Walmart the production of cheap "disposable" goods has largely overtaken more expensive sturdier alternatives.

I've used my mx518 for many years..
I'm sure everyone has a server somewhere with a 2 button Dell mouse with a ball that still works..

Maybe some are hard on their mice? Maybe just unlucky..
That's when good customer support makes the difference.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BGrifter posted:

I disagree.

My father has only ever received a new mouse with a new computer purchase, and he has purchased 2 computers in 13 years. The first of those mice was ball based as well. While I wouldn't exactly call his usage 'heavy'...daily, but not quite heavy, I spend all most every waking moment at home in front of my computer aside from one mouse that was obviously defective on purchase, my first mouse lasted me two years, and was sold to a friend who has used it in the 3 years since then, my other one lasted me 3 years, and I replaced it simply because I was sick of it.

My general rule is that a computer should be replaced every 3-4 years, and I expect a mouse to last a similar amount of time.

I would have no hesitation in returning a mouse that failed within that period to the store I bought it from for a refund.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Well, should you ever find this holy grail of a mouse please let us know too :). Last 4 of my mouses have developed faulty button each lasting about 2 years. Probably not going to change from Logitech though, I like the shape of their more expensive mouses and unifying receiver is awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Lord Bude posted:

I just don't understand why anyone would deal directly with a manufacturer, and the time it involves, rather than the retailer that sold you the product. That being said, I live in Australia where retailers have a legal obligation to provide a refund for a defective product, or one that fails to last a reasonable length of time, but even if I didn't I'd at least try the retailer first.

Unless it's urgent and I need a replacement now, I can wait. Good manufacturer support just gives me another option. Plus, support in Canada varies. Some companies have excellent service up here, some don't. Logitech is one of the former.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HalloKitty posted:

I've used my mx518 for many years..
I'm sure everyone has a server somewhere with a 2 button Dell mouse with a ball that still works..
Sure, and tons of cheap lovely off-brand keyboards/speakers/PSUs work flawlessly for a decade or more. Thing is, what percentage of them last forever compared to mechanical keyboards, Seasonic PSUs, and [I'm not an audiophile, insert good brand here] speakers? In quality control more than perhaps anywhere else, anecdotes are not data.

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh definitely go to the shop if it's faster/easier; in fact, when I contacted Logitech for an occasional issue with a button they suggested I do that, and that they'd ship me a new mouse if I couldn't get it from the shop for whatever reason (lost receipt, etc.).

The thing is that:

1) In this day and age, many people buy computer stuff online, so getting a replacement from Logitech is no slower than getting it from BuyHardware.com. But BuyHardware.com may or may not be fast and easy about it, while Logitech will (answer quickly, won't ask you to mail the old mouse back first, etc.).

2) Logitech's support policies directly affect retailer support. When I brought in my G500 for the double-click issue, I told the guy at the counter that it only happened randomly for a few hours every few days. He tried and failed to reproduce the bug, but then he said "Well, I can't reproduce the issue, but with Logitech there's no trouble getting a replacement regardless so here, have a new one". If he didn't know the manufacturer would cover the replacement, I'm quite sure he would have needed to actually witness the defect.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 10, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like to tell my students that there are two products that are extraordinarily underappreciated for their durability: cars and shoes. Cars are expensive, complicated mechanical devices with thousands of amazingly precise moving parts and electrical components inside them, and we leave them outside 24 hours a day in whatever weather occurs and expect to be able to get inside and press a button and have them work perfectly every time. And they mostly succeed in this, to the point that most people consider anything beyond putting in fuel to be an unreasonable hassle. And shoes...well you literally walk on them all day, every day, and they still do their job well for years at a time. That speaks for itself.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding "computer mice" to that list. Sliding a thing back and forth on a desk all day, pressing buttons thousands of times a day and spinning a wheel through millions of revolutions, it's amazing that they last as long as they do.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Benny the Snake posted:

I've got a Microsoft Sidewinder X5 that I've had for three years now. The scroll wheel has melted; it's soft, it's deteriorating, and there's residue whenever I scroll it. It's really sticky too when I use it. Should I spring for a new mouse, or is there any fix?

Assuming that the solvent doesn't dissolve the wheel, and that all the mechanical contact inside the mouse is with the hub of the wheel, you might try truck bed liner.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding "computer mice" to that list. Sliding a thing back and forth on a desk all day, pressing buttons thousands of times a day and spinning a wheel through millions of revolutions, it's amazing that they last as long as they do.

I still use one of these as my daily mouse. Not the tactile features, which I turned off after like a day.

I was thinking of buying a new mouse since this is now 11 years, but it still works fine so I have a little trouble justifying it.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

evensevenone posted:

I still use one of these as my daily mouse. Not the tactile features, which I turned off after like a day.

I was thinking of buying a new mouse since this is now 11 years, but it still works fine so I have a little trouble justifying it.

Sup 11+ year old mouse buddy. Logitech M-BJ58 Optical Mouse user here. Mine is dated 4-17-2001. I don't think I will ever be able to replace it since after 11 years it just feels familiar, and any other mouse I try does not feel right. I don't know what kind of dementia I will enter when(never!) this one breaks.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

NihilCredo posted:

You could try a Microsoft or maybe a Corsair one, but we're still talking about a consumer product made primarily of Chinese plastic, there's no IBM ThinkPad for mice with metal chassis and carbon-fiber buttons.

What you should do is send an email to Logitech and get a new mouse shipped to you for free. The reason for its reputation is not because each of its mice lasts forever (some do, most don't), it's because they replace them so easily and quickly that after you buy one you will have a mouse of the model you purchase until the warranty expires (and usually a 50% discount after it does), unlike most other hardware companies where replacing a failing product is such a pain you'd rather buy a new one.

I emailed them and they were very nice and offered to send me a new mouse, just as long as I had the original receipt, which I don't have. So, I took the mouse apart and found that the switch was oxidized. I couldn't fix that, so it's now in mouse heaven.

However, their service did convince me not to dismiss Logitech altogether. Everyone else seems to have 1 year warranties as compared to their three. Lesson learned: If I get another mouse from them, I'll just be sure to laminate and frame the receipt.

New question:

What's going on here? Are they going to stab me if I don't buy this mouse?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Argas posted:

The Logitech G5 was terrible. Mostly due to its sensor. It was one of the best laser sensors available at the time, but optical was still (and sort of still is) the way to go in the sensor dpeartment. They went with laser because it was "the future" or something. Who knows. Anything else questionable about that mouse was immediately visible by looking at it. It was well constructed, but you can only polish the turd that was the G5's sensor so much.

I've no idea if the G500 used a better sensor or not. I have an MX518 that refuses to die if I feel like using a mouse of that size and shape. I RMAd the G5 multiple times in the first 3 months I owned it before giving it to a family member. With their usage pattern it lasted for around two years before breaking.

With that out of the way, Logitech consistently makes decent mice. If you like the size and shape of their flagship MX518/G5XX then they will not disappoint you. You can't find a better mouse. Zowie and CoolerMaster also make great mice with no driver/firmware bullshit, no flash at the cost of quality, and no "haha we cut 2 cents on this one part for our $100 gaming mouse that costs $5 to make, it's going to suck or break for sure" fuckery that is so prevalent in premium mice. Microsoft made great mice at a great price, but with today's resolutions you need around 600-800 dpi and they weren't there at the time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 16, 2012

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finally bothered to contact Logitech about my Performance MX's left mouse button having issues with clicks.

Sent them email, they requested some details, and bam they're mailing me a new one.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
I have a DeathAdder since quite a while back. Pretty satisfied all in all, but the scroll wheel keeps on jumping 2 steps even though I scroll 1 between times. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to annoy me. I'm thinking of a Mamba, but I have a question which I can't find an answer to.

See, I'd primarily like to use it connected - is this possible (eg connector in front)? My usage patterns heavily favor having a corded mouse, but I'd like to be able to disconnect it for when I'm feeling lazy and want to maneuver from my bed. Basically, I'd want it to be like the DeathAdder but without the 2-step jumps and the possibility to disconnect the cord and use it cordless once in a while.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I'm Ago, and I think I might be a mouseaholic. I have an MX-518, I'm actually on my 3rd one of those now. I also have a Deathadder, and a R.A.T 7.

Love the rat most of all, it's what sees the most daily use. My only issue with it, is I can't figure out why they put the horizontal scroll wheel on it. Haven't had a single occasion ever where I thought to myself 'gee, I wish I had a wheel for horizontal scroll!'. In fact, it's used to rarely I don't even have muscle memory for it. It's a very unnatural feeling movement to use it.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

letgomyAgo posted:

I'm Ago, and I think I might be a mouseaholic. I have an MX-518, I'm actually on my 3rd one of those now. I also have a Deathadder, and a R.A.T 7.

Love the rat most of all, it's what sees the most daily use. My only issue with it, is I can't figure out why they put the horizontal scroll wheel on it. Haven't had a single occasion ever where I thought to myself 'gee, I wish I had a wheel for horizontal scroll!'. In fact, it's used to rarely I don't even have muscle memory for it. It's a very unnatural feeling movement to use it.

I loving LOVE horizontal scroll on my G700. My left click finger sits close to the wheel anyway, so I can just rock it to the right easily, or roll my middle finger to the left to hit the left-wheel. I use it for reloading in FPS and in WOW it's set to Cure Disease/Dispel. I definitely had to play with mindframe that the functionality exists in the first place but if you can find some way to factor it into your gaming (if you game) you may learn to love it.

Not tried the R.A.T scrollwheel but the G700 one is big and ugly enough to hit pretty easily.
For pretty much anything else its dogshit useless though :)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah tilt isn't really for horizontal scroll (in the very rare occasions you need that it's much better to do Shift+scroll), it's for tabbing around or generally to have two extra buttons accessible to your index finger.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So my old-rear end G5 (the rust-red one) finally gave up the ghost. It's been dodgy for a while (cutting out sporadically, sometimes needing a bit of cable fiddling to get it to reconnect), but now it's just completely gone.

The mouse itself looks fine inside, so I'm guessing the problem is with the cable (it's looking pretty beaten-up, and there are some suspicious-looking kinks that could be harbouring some shorts or whatever). I'll try and confirm that with a multimeter at some point.

How hard would it be to find and install a suitable replacement cable? I really like the shape of the G5 (most of the other assymetric mice I've looked at are obnoxiously chunky), but it's drat near impossible to buy one these days. I've looked at the G500, but that thumb button cluster looks kind of awful so I think I'd only go for that if I can't fix my current mouse.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Isn't the support supposed to be good? Email Logitech pretty much what you just posted and see if they send you anything.

Other than that, that mouse looks to be the same shape as the MX series has been for ages, so I guess the G400 (replacement for MX518) is going to be basically the same, and has the extra buttons on top in a similar place.

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw
Logitech's support is downright retarded and I can't understand how they're still in business at this point.

Take my MX 5500 for example. I think I had it replaced four or five times with little niggling issues that popped up with either the Rev or the keyboard. Each time they sent me a brand new set, no questions asked, completely free. My support tickets were spread out by about a year each so they didn't even want the old ones back, either.

This week my Rev got stuck on free wheelin' mode so I called up support and told them I need a new set, again. Turns out they didn't have 5500's in stock anymore so I ended up with a Performance Mouse MX instead. Plugged it in and had a little trouble with the mouse getting stuck and jittering all over the place. After 15 minutes of fiddling around I figured out that the MX 5500's dongle is causing some sort of interference with the Unified dongle that came with the Performance Mouse. Called up support again and after 20 minutes of sitting on hold they agreed to ship me a K800 next week, since I obviously wouldn't accept anything but the flagship keyboard. :psyduck:

FAKE EDIT: Figured out later that the interference issue was fixed by using the USB extender cable that came with the MX but a free keyboard is a free keyboard and cables are dumb :science:

novak fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 25, 2012

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Noni posted:

However, their service did convince me not to dismiss Logitech altogether. Everyone else seems to have 1 year warranties as compared to their three. Lesson learned: If I get another mouse from them, I'll just be sure to laminate and frame the receipt.

I just had them replace an MX Revolution that was 5 or 6 months out of warranty with the Performance MX. The wheel stopped functioning as a button. It physically worked (pressed in), but nothing happened. Not sure if that had anything to do with them replacing it out of warranty but regardless that was awesome of them.

To add to that, I didn't ask for a free mouse or an exchange. It was their idea. I emailed them saying "Hey, my mouse is probably out of warranty but have you heard of this problem." A couple emails later they're sending me a mouse.

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 3, 2012

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is there any reason not to get the Roccat Savu? I really like the shape. Easy-aim looks like a pretty cool feature.

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
Roccats look so good. I'm thinking about getting one of those or a bluetooth mouse. Bluetooth mice have gotten pretty good, right?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Logitech now has a $50 BT mouse for with a proper scroll wheel, can't find it on the Logitech site yet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104784&Tpk=m555b

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
Does anyone have anything to say about these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA11P0920063

Since I no longer use my HDTV as my primary monitor, and don't have to sit in the middle of my room, I'd like to move back to wired kbam and saw this in an email from Newegg today. Apparently they are like the OCZ Equalizer but those aren't sold anymore or at least nowhere I can find. $25 seems pretty nice for what it offers and reviews seem good. I'm hesitant because I don't think it's a brand someone would look at first before others or recognize at first.

EDIT: The Equalizer got a poor review from techPowerUp so I guess that would apply here too. It seems like they are quite literally the exact same mouse.

EDIT2: If I pass on the A4 mouse, what would be a better choice between a Razer DeathAdder or a Logitech G400? Basically I'm trying to find a good wired mouse without paying more than like $40-$50 but almost anything wired would be an upgrade from a wireless M310.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 14, 2012

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I have a Razer Lachesis that is experiencing the infamous double click problem, and I'm looking into replacing. Before the Lachesis I had a Razer Diamondback that I really loved but its scroll wheel broke so I had to replace it. I have smallish hands and use a high-arched "claw grip" so I prefer an an ambidextrous mouse with a fairly small size (but not too small, laptop mice and the lovely OEM mice that come with new consumer desktops are too small for me; the Diamondback was a perfect fit).

Right now I'm looking into two choices. The Razer Taipan looks about the right shape and size for me and its features list sounds nice (especially the dual sensor that alleviates the problem with laser mice and liftoff/tracking distance), but I've heard bad things about Synapse 2.0, to the point where, even if the Taipan doesn't have Synapse 2.0, I doubt if Razer deserves any more of my money.

The Steelseries Sensei is the other option I'm looking at (Logitech mice all appear to be high-backed "ergonomic" mice and the R.A.T. mice appear to be made for the hands of some unknown alien race). However,

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I have tried both the Sensei for a week and the Taipan. I found the Sensei to be really cheap feeling and way too many options for the average user/gamer for the 100+ tag price. You have to use a hard pad with it as a soft pad seems to just hamper the tracking on the mouse, which they recommend one of their pads as a companion to the mouse. A plus with it is that the side buttons are a decent size so you can use both sides if you don't mind trying to hit it with your pinkie. Drivers are a mix bag, they kinda work but they don't always save the information correctly to the mouse. My friend who is using the mouse also reported that the "metal top" is just plastic and it rubs off just from regular usage.

The hard pad requirement is a huge demerit for me (I once used a Razer hard pad and disliked it so much I threw the actual surface away and backing mat under my old soft mouse pad to use its integrated palm rest), and the metalized top rubbing off sounds even tackier than Razer's lovely rubberized coatings.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the Sensei does not have firmware that spies on you.

Which one is really better? Are there any other credible options for ambidextrous high-end gaming mice?

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Check out the Roccat Kova[+]

I found it to be the perfect thing for me, and I am very similar to you.

I've used a sensei, and I am currently using a lightly used copperhead because i travelled with my kova and shoved it many places it didn't need to be, breaking the cord and a few other things typical of moving around a lot

but yeah, definitely look at the kova. huge nice scroll wheel I love and great shape

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Which Roccat is most similar to the MX518? Mine just started giving me issues after years of solid service. The Kone line seems pretty similar in shape, if a little wider. The Pure seems nice, but I will not pay 170 dollars for a mouse. Or should I just buy a G400 and be done with it?

Edit: Screw it, bought a G500.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 16, 2012

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I saw an eBay listing for a clone of a Razer Diamondback made by "Sunsonny". Are these Chinese knockoffs as incredibly lovely as I suspect they are?

$11 for a copy of a mouse that originally retailed for $45 sure is a bad sign. So is the fact that I can't find any reviews or descriptions of the mouse in Google, only links to bulk China importers.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 18, 2012

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

I saw an eBay listing for a clone of a Razer Diamondback made by "Sunsonny". Are these Chinese knockoffs as incredibly lovely as I suspect they are?

$11 for a copy of a mouse that originally retailed for $45 sure is a bad sign. So is the fact that I can't find any reviews or descriptions of the mouse in Google, only links to bulk China importers.

On the plus side, Razer's quality control is bad enough that it isn't likely that the knockoff could be much worse than the original.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It wouldn't be so funny if it weren't true.

(although my first Diamondback, bought in 2006, lasted for at least four years. I gave it to someone else a few years ago last I knew [I last spoke to this person in summer 2010] it still works. Maybe they just built their poo poo better back then.)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 18, 2012

jaask
Jul 8, 2008
I've been using Mamba for the past couple years and I've not been terribly amazed with the build quality and battery life, otherwise a good mouse. My first Mamba developed squeaking wheel problem within first 6 months so it was RMA'd. Second Mamba developed the same issue after 1 year but it's pretty easy to fix using advice here.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

All the A4 stuff I've seen was really flimsy and cheap. I wouldn't pay $50 for it for sure.

Woolie Wool posted:

I have a Razer Lachesis that is experiencing the infamous double click problem, and I'm looking into replacing. Before the Lachesis I had a Razer Diamondback that I really loved but its scroll wheel broke so I had to replace it. I have smallish hands and use a high-arched "claw grip" so I prefer an an ambidextrous mouse with a fairly small size (but not too small, laptop mice and the lovely OEM mice that come with new consumer desktops are too small for me; the Diamondback was a perfect fit).

Right now I'm looking into two choices. The Razer Taipan looks about the right shape and size for me and its features list sounds nice (especially the dual sensor that alleviates the problem with laser mice and liftoff/tracking distance), but I've heard bad things about Synapse 2.0, to the point where, even if the Taipan doesn't have Synapse 2.0, I doubt if Razer deserves any more of my money.

The Steelseries Sensei is the other option I'm looking at (Logitech mice all appear to be high-backed "ergonomic" mice and the R.A.T. mice appear to be made for the hands of some unknown alien race).

Have you checked the G300? It's ambidextrous, small, and the profile is similar to the Sensei.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 19, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

NihilCredo posted:

All the A4 stuff I've seen was really flimsy and cheap. I wouldn't pay $50 for it for sure.

If you wouldn't pay $50, Tek Republic makes clones of that exact mouse and other A4 stuff. I've got one and it feels pretty solid to me. Newegg sells them, but with wavering stock. They had the clone of that mouse on sale for $16 shipped a few months ago. For a weighted, 6-button 3600 dpi laser gaming mouse, that ain't bad.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
My logitech Anywhere MX has apparently decided to crap out on me after 3-4 years of ownership.

What's the current goon recommendation for a wireless mouse with a toggleable free-scroll/notch scroll (or whatever you call that) scroll wheel and at least forward/backward buttons that is somewhat portable, built to last and with long battery life?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

I bought an orochi ripoff on eBay, and it's nowhere near the real thing. Mine was basically a generic mouse dressed up in a cheapish orochi case with really sloppy buttons. The scroll wheel was gummy, and the thumb buttons were stupidly stiff.

You get what you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

NihilCredo posted:

Have you checked the G300? It's ambidextrous, small, and the profile is similar to the Sensei.

Yeah I've had a G300 pretty much since it came out and I love it. The buttons on top is a bit weird at first but I'd have a hard time going back to a more normal style of mouse now. It's definitely worth a look for anyone who wants a smaller mouse.