Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Tommmmm posted:

Crime Fighting Hog, I know you posted this oodles of pages back but I can't see your post history. Would you mind writing out your scheme for your Cygnar? I quite fancy the yellow for my Mercs (if you don't mind), keep up the good work.

No problemo man,

1. Prime white.

2. Airbrush on a solid layer of a bright yellow. For jacks I've been using golden yellow (2nd brightest GW yellow). My army has very little infantry and I didn't want the yellow to be as bright so I used the foundation yellow on their armor plates. The rangers are dirty and on the road all the time so their armor would be more dinged than usual.

3. Take a piece of packing foam, rip that poo poo up and dip it in scorched brown (darker brown). Go hog wild sponging it on but focus on edges and other areas that would get scraped on the ground or walls more like forearms, elbows and knees.

4. Take Chainmail or another medium silver and put spots of it in the middle of some of the larger brown spots.

5a. (optional) Varnish. This is because alcohol is next and it could rub off the paint. If you're easy enough on it, it won't though.

5b. Grind up some pastel chalk. I go with a midtone brown. Mix it with some isopropyl alcohol (don't drink it either that poo poo is strong) and kinda wash it on there. This is a bit of a bitch because there's a level of too much and not enough. You'll just have to go with how much you want.

6. That poo poo dries in a few minutes at most so varnish it. Varnishing the chalk will sometimes disperse it a bit, clearing it up. Again, the effect can be a be random. Sometimes it clears it up a bit, sometimes almost not at all.

That's it for the yellow, which is pretty easy. The fun, tedious part is painting all the black and metal parts black by hand and trying not to gently caress up the yellow.

But hey I like it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Crowleraptor posted:

Anyone got some tips on how to really speed up paint progress without losing quality. Im finding that while im happy with my end results, i am not happy with my mates painting entire squads in the time it takes me to do one model.
I guess my moto has always been "Compensate for skill shortage with extreme patience"
And 100 touch ups. a minute.

A lot of people consider me to be a pretty quick painter, so I can offer a few tips if that helps. Speed painting is usually a case of quality vs quantity. So I can usually throw out about 5 models in less time than I'll spend on one-offs. There are a lot of painters in this thread who are much better at the quality side of things that offer great advice and have helped me improve 10x over the years. Anyway here's some richyp speed tips:

:words: incoming

Tip 1: Primer Choice
When I started painting I used black primer for everything, and used to really avoid painting anything that required white, bone, red, yellow etc.. Nowadays I generally prime white unless a majority of the model(s) is going to be dark (squad of Dark Angels etc...). When I started with white primer I hated it, it was like my painting quality had gone back 5 years so I gave up and stuck to black for ages. Until I discovered the reason that black was so forgiving, i.e. the missed bits not being visible.

So what I generally do now, and I mention this far too much probably, is prime white and wash with either black or brown just for the sake of it. This has three advantages:

1) Make it easy to see the detail when painting
2) It fills the gaps that would otherwise show up if I missed a bit of white primer
3) Most importantly for speed painting purposes, is that when you apply thin layers over the washed primer it gives you the darker shade for free. See the next point.

That's not to say that white is the best for everything, it's not. If I wanted to paint 5 Dark Angels I'd need several coats of Dark Green to hide the brush strokes over white, where as with black and probably grey I could do it in 1-2 coats.

Tip 2: Washes as a base coat
As mentioned above I pretty much always wash a white primed model with black/brown anyway, but there's a nice bonus to this as it skips out one/two of the steps from a traditional painting method. Normally it would be
- Dark Base coat
- Mid tone
- Highlight

With a washed base you can use a very thin mid tone as your first layer rather than the dark base coat, as the dark wash will show through your thin layer, giving you the base coat for free. Use matte medium instead of/as well as water to thin for extra effect.

If the base isn't dark enough you can always wash the area again to darken it.

Tip 3: Wet paint
As I've said before I'm very impatient so I don't wait for paint to dry before moving on, i'll either use the wet paint to blend in with a lighter colour if I'm doing larger areas, or I'll use a hairdryer to speed up the process (great for washes). Blending is tricky but it'll give you smoother highlights than layering, and is great for tabards etc..

The image below shows 3 different Terminators I'm working on and are at various stages of the above. The 1st one is pretty much done, the 2nd one is at the first paint layer stage, i.e. thin bone paint over a brown wash. (Likewise the red is very watered down over the brown wash too).

The final mini is not base coated yet (except the green and red), so you can see the white primer after the wash, before it's overpainted with the bone colour.

Tip 4: Black lining
The final one, and not really a speed tip but one that ties a model together is black lining. Basically get a dark paint, nearly always very thin black or grey. and brush it between sections to give you definition and extra shading. On the 1st model above I used a thin brown in the areas between armor plates, e.g. the feet, just to add extra contrast, compare it to the right hand model and you'll see the wash actually does that anyway, but I just exaggerated it some more. Same with the metal, I used a dark grey thin mix between sections on the assault cannon for the same effect.

richyp fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 10, 2012

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
That's a great post, richyp! Have you got any tips on getting better or quicker with highlights? I'm currently painting up a Necron Ghost Barge with a Lava theme (red with bright orange highlights) and it's driving me insane. So far I think I've spent around 30 hours building and painting the model... and I'm only about two thirds finished, mainly because the highlights take me so long.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Also, if you have any tips or suggestions on using washes successfully - do you need something like flo-aid to achieve a fairly even wash across those terminators?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Manifest posted:

I just got a mountain king (hooray), but I'm not sure what to do with the rocks on his back.

My trolls are all based on red desert bases, as inspired by this local landmark:

I'm thinking of painting the rocks on his back to match, but considering that I'm painting it in the traditional troll blue, would that be too contrasty?

You could make the rock into a opaque red crystal, like this red-coated amethyst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXq3KQm0QFc

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Luebbi posted:

That's a great post, richyp! Have you got any tips on getting better or quicker with highlights? I'm currently painting up a Necron Ghost Barge with a Lava theme (red with bright orange highlights) and it's driving me insane. So far I think I've spent around 30 hours building and painting the model... and I'm only about two thirds finished, mainly because the highlights take me so long.

I know you weren't really asking me, but you sir sound like you need an airbrush. :v:
Here's how my own foray into a red with orange highlight airbrushing went:

I assure you, the highlights are far more prominent in person, but the idea is there. If you can afford one, an airbrush will make you weep tears of joy that you then collect and drink as a sweet, sweet nectar.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up Ghazghkull and some Meganobz as part of a commission.

Ghazzie's metal model weighs a freakin' ton. All but bruised my thumb holding on to his base for most of the day.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Weirdo posted:

You could make the rock into a opaque red crystal, like this red-coated amethyst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXq3KQm0QFc

There's a Mulg the ancient on CMON like that, I just have no clue how to achieve the effect.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Here's a pretty cool video about making homemade flock.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for an air brush(Spray gun really, just want something to lay down a base coat because I am tired of painting all these IG :/ ) system and some guides for some one that has never air brushed before?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2012

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Luebbi posted:

Subtle highlighting of red can be done by progressively adding orange to the red and applying multiple thin layers. Alternatively you can use neat orange (or even yellow if you thin it) and wash with red or brown. I usually do a combo of the two, and layer on a thin orange/red mix and a stronger pure orange highlight, if it's too bright then a brown wash fixes it. Below the Chaos Champion is done without the after wash and the Helbrute has had the wash added.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

This looks great, but you need to highlight the horns a bit more IMO.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

I do like a lot of the MWG videos, especially most of their batreps. There's a video by an Australian guy who showed the same process to make huge amounts of flock, but I don't know where to get a small bag of sawdust.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

krushgroove posted:

I do like a lot of the MWG videos, especially most of their batreps. There's a video by an Australian guy who showed the same process to make huge amounts of flock, but I don't know where to get a small bag of sawdust.

Go to home depot and ask for some from the cutting station.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

Go to home depot and ask for some from the cutting station.

Well here's where I feel like a bit of a rube. I'll ask for some the next time I get some MDF for terrain bases, thanks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

poo poo, I'll send you all the sawdust you want. I'll even let you pick what kind of sawdust. I've got sawdust coming out my ears.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I like the effect but I always thought the weathering breaks up the model too much and obscures the detailing, I think they'd look better with a little blacklining or heavier shading to stop the armour plates blending into each other.

EDIT: It could just be the photos though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bad Munki posted:

poo poo, I'll send you all the sawdust you want. I'll even let you pick what kind of sawdust. I've got sawdust coming out my ears.

Ha, nice! Unfortunately I'm in the UK, I'm guessing you're in the US?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I like the effect but I always thought the weathering breaks up the model too much and obscures the detailing, I think they'd look better with a little blacklining or heavier shading to stop the armour plates blending into each other.

EDIT: It could just be the photos though.

I hear you, I'm not 100 percent happy with the result and plan to do some touchups when I get around to it. Also my camera set up is literally my phone and a lamp with a sheet of paper. I'm just too lazy to bust out the digital camera and tripod most days. I might try some blacklining with oil paints eventually, that should really make em show.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

krushgroove posted:

Correct, sorry. :)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

krushgroove posted:

Pet stores sell all kinds of material that is useful for basing. Fine sand (for Chinchillas), Sawdust/Shavings (for rodents)...all kinds of poo poo in reasonable sized bags.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

midge posted:

Pet stores sell all kinds of material that is useful for basing. Fine sand (for Chinchillas), Sawdust/Shavings (for rodents)...all kinds of poo poo in reasonable sized bags.

This is how I get the sand for my bases. Chinchilla habitation. It's REALLY fine and PVA sticks it absolutely dead.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I'm tempted to use Dark Vengeance Deathwing Terminators for Space Hulk though, since the models are awesome.
drat it - now I can't sell mine off because this is a great idea.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Painted up this Trollses over the weekend for my oath.
He was an exercise in rescuing a mini, as it was a bad cast and had a rough texture, then I foolishly borrowed a friend's GW primer while I was at his house which began flaking off in spots as I was putting the finishing touches on the model.
Thankfully the varnish appears to have stopped the flaking, and I'm finally done with this guy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

midge posted:

OK, cool - I've had a look in some pet stores but haven't looked hard enough, I guess. I did pick up a 20-pound bag of kiln-dried sand that I will never ever get through, it was only a fiver but if anyone wants any and you're in the Burton/Derby area of the UK, let me know! I'll give it away!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Solved my stupid question with google. Please ignore.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 10, 2012

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Manifest posted:

He was an exercise in rescuing a mini...

I find doing that sort of thing to be really satisfying; I pick up secondhand models and try to fix them up as best I can. Some of the time it's an exercise in futility, but most purchases end up giving me a little practice with a new colour scheme, or technique.

For example, I'm just finishing up these guys:

They were badly glue-scarred and needed a bit of greenstuff work to repair, but they were less than £5 and gave me a chance to try painting up some Fists. They just need some decal solvent slapped on and a coat of matte varnish and they'll be able to 'ham once more. :unsmith:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Those fists own.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zhent posted:

Also, if you have any tips or suggestions on using washes successfully - do you need something like flo-aid to achieve a fairly even wash across those terminators?

Nope, just straight from the pot with a large brush. The washes are pretty much the only GW/citadel products I use, everything else is pretty much Vallejo Model Colour.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

OneTrueBru posted:

I find doing that sort of thing to be really satisfying; I pick up secondhand models and try to fix them up as best I can. Some of the time it's an exercise in futility, but most purchases end up giving me a little practice with a new colour scheme, or technique.

They were badly glue-scarred and needed a bit of greenstuff work to repair, but they were less than £5 and gave me a chance to try painting up some Fists. They just need some decal solvent slapped on and a coat of matte varnish and they'll be able to 'ham once more. :unsmith:

Those are way loving better than my trollses.
God daaaamn they are nice.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Manifest posted:

Painted up this Trollses over the weekend for my oath.
He was an exercise in rescuing a mini, as it was a bad cast and had a rough texture, then I foolishly borrowed a friend's GW primer while I was at his house which began flaking off in spots as I was putting the finishing touches on the model.
Thankfully the varnish appears to have stopped the flaking, and I'm finally done with this guy.

http://youtu.be/4TAtRCJIqnk?t=46s

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
About half way done with my Megaboss, would love some CC.

Blue has been difficult for me, but so far I like him. Needs touch ups and more weathering though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sole.Sushi posted:

While I can only speak from partial experience, the fastest painters in this thread have a knack for placing paint with extreme accuracy; their number of touch-ups is very small. I am in no way a fast painter, but I have noticed that my speed has improved dramatically as of late, really just from practice. Basically, keep at it and focus on improving brush control.

I have found that it is far easier to place paint accurately when that paint is decently thinned. Thin paint also permits the use of pre-shading, which also cuts down on paint time dramatically.

OneTrueBru posted:

These are some of the best marines I have seen in a very long time, thank you for sharing them.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

LET MY TROLLKIN GO

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This thread needs space pimps.

It was a real challenge to paint these guys in a way that both highlighted their ridiculousness and flamboyant models, yet tie them in with my Valhallans. Using the same colors for the psychic hoods, pants, and boots helps, but I don't know if that actually detracts from the models.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Manifest, did your Trollses have weird pitting and holes in the cast? Sounds like you may have had the same problem that I did with mine.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Manifest, did your Trollses have weird pitting and holes in the cast? Sounds like you may have had the same problem that I did with mine.

Really fine ones that went all over it?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Manifest posted:

Really fine ones that went all over it?

Not quite the whole thing for me, mostly the lower half, particularly on the cloak/tartan. I wonder if they had a bad batch of casts or something.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Not quite the whole thing for me, mostly the lower half, particularly on the cloak/tartan. I wonder if they had a bad batch of casts or something.

Yeah that's it. Mine mostly went over the top half of the mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If I wanted to buy tiny little chains for conversions... small enough to look good on a space marine- where should I go? What size?

• Locked thread