Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/09/google-announces-the-android-4-1-2-update-being-released-to-aosp-today/

Aside from being released to AOSP just now, 4.1.2 has already started its gradual OTA roll out to the Nexus 7 apparently.

Nice.

Do all Nexus 7 devices get a fast update like GSM or does it matter where you buy it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can someone remind me how I keep root when OTAing a rooted stock build? Just so I don't gently caress something up. Or will it be easier to just flash the pre-rooted build from XDA?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it really a good idea to wait for the 32GB Nexus 7 if I can get the 16GB for the price of the 8GB right now?

I'm not exactly sure if I should wait or not. Anyone with the 16 care to weigh in on the space and if its enough for most things?

It's unlikely that the 16GB will increase in value when the 32GB variant is released. Either the 32GB gets released at the same price point as the 16GB used to be globally (as rumors indicate) and then the 16GB/8GB gets a price cut, or it gets released at a higher price point and the value of the 16GB stays the same. So unless your 16GB-for-8GB deal is time constrained, you have nothing to lose waiting for its probable reveal on October 29th. And you potentially stand to double your storage for a small premium on what you're already prepared to pay. Going by the JBQ quote from that post:

quote:

Future variants of the grouper hardware will have a minor change in one of the components (the power management chip) that will not be compatible with 4.1.1.

You'd also possibly stand to gain improved charging speed/efficiency (unless the reason for the switch is that the supplier for the current one couldn't meet yields).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

It's unlikely that the 16GB will increase in value when the 32GB variant is released. Either the 32GB gets released at the same price point as the 16GB used to be globally (as rumors indicate) and then the 16GB/8GB gets a price cut, or it gets released at a higher price point and the value of the 16GB stays the same. So unless your 16GB-for-8GB deal is time constrained, you have nothing to lose waiting for its probable reveal on October 29th. And you potentially stand to double your storage for a small premium on what you're already prepared to pay. Going by the JBQ quote from that post:

You'd also possibly stand to gain improved charging speed/efficiency (unless the reason for the switch is that the supplier for the current one couldn't meet yields).

I'm getting the 16GB for $214 from a friend who works at Radio Shack. However, we odn't know if RS will get the 32GB (considering how late it picked up the 16GB, I'd say it'll take a long time). I could get the 16GB next Friday or wait a few more paychecks for one with more storage.

I don't think I'll fill the entire 13.5GB though so I don't know just yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At least one retailer is listing the 16gb Nexus 7 as EOL, so I would say it's a pretty good bet that the 32gb will take over its price point.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Just bought a Nexus 7 16gb from Walmart. Its a C90 which surprised me because it didn't look like they were selling many, if any, of them. Gonna eat lunch then start playing with it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I bought an 8gb Nexus 7 from Staples three days ago. It is bone stock except for Apex Launcher and bad piggies. Just today I brought it into work in my pocked, and without me touching the thing it has rebooted itself 3 times in the last couple hours, confirmed by the battery screen and I caught it rebooting the last time. The hell?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Zero VGS posted:

I bought an 8gb Nexus 7 from Staples three days ago. It is bone stock except for Apex Launcher and bad piggies. Just today I brought it into work in my pocked, and without me touching the thing it has rebooted itself 3 times in the last couple hours, confirmed by the battery screen and I caught it rebooting the last time. The hell?

Did you update it to 4.1.1 since you got it? If you already have or updating doesn't solve anything, as a last ditch attempt try a factory reset (save progress in Rovio games like BP can be backed up/restored by just copying/overwriting its folder via PC). If a factory reset still doesn't solve it, you've been ASUS'd in which case go for an exchange.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vagrancy posted:

Did you update it to 4.1.1 since you got it? If you already have or updating doesn't solve anything, as a last ditch attempt try a factory reset (save progress in Rovio games like BP can be backed up/restored by just copying/overwriting its folder via PC). If a factory reset still doesn't solve it, you've been ASUS'd in which case go for an exchange.

Hmm, OK. Honestly I don't mind being ASUS'd, since I can get $25 google funbucks to gift to a friend each time. I thought they said they shut down that promo, but I bought this Nexus 7 Friday from Staples and the moment I logged in I got the credit. Maybe the retail boxes still do it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

According to JBQ about the new chip, the chip doesn't do anything new, it just needs bootloader and driver fixes. Also, all future Nexus 7 devices will no longer be able to run 4.1.1.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-building/2rkEoKMnhzU/eKgIwBZXv_8J

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm, OK. Honestly I don't mind being ASUS'd, since I can get $25 google funbucks to gift to a friend each time. I thought they said they shut down that promo, but I bought this Nexus 7 Friday from Staples and the moment I logged in I got the credit. Maybe the retail boxes still do it?

I bought one Monday from Office Max and got my $25 credit. I guess that's the route to go...

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Captain Shortbus posted:

I bought one Monday from Office Max and got my $25 credit. I guess that's the route to go...
The one I posted earlier about that I got from Walmart today gave me the $25 credit as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BarkingSquirrel posted:

The one I posted earlier about that I got from Walmart today gave me the $25 credit as well.

Wait, what?

I thought that was over with.

Isn't that the prepaid Google Card?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, what?

I also got it after 9/30 or whenever they announced they'd end the promo.

revolther
May 27, 2008
So far with the Transformer Infinity no gripes or issues. Rooting the thing took a bit more work than expected because of the OTA jelly bean update, but after that I set up SwitchMe with a few profiles and everyone loves it.

With some flights coming up though, I really wish the 40 pin connector on the keyboard dock was reversible so I could clamp the pair together screen facing up, trading the extra girth for battery life. It would also make setting them up as a TV/alarm clock/picture frame/remote control a lot more elegant.

It seems so logical I want to try it, but a little too cautious for that.

i2evielle
Feb 21, 2006

Tunga posted:

Can someone remind me how I keep root when OTAing a rooted stock build? Just so I don't gently caress something up. Or will it be easier to just flash the pre-rooted build from XDA?

I am also wondering this if anyone has any insight on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
In case anyone has a stock JRO03D N7 that's not getting the OTA you can do it manually (this will not work if your N7 is a 3S model, Google hasn't sent that OTA out yet):

• download the update - http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo..._13498580655453
  • name it something not retarded
  • run the SDK Manager to make sure your ADB is up to date. mine wasn't and didn't recognize the below listed 'sideload' command and caused me to tear my nonexistant hair out
  • move your non retardedly named update to the same directory as your ADB.exe
  • plug in your usb and fire up ADB
  • adb reboot bootloader
  • on the tablet select reboot recovery (you can adb into recovery but for some reason my adb gives me fits)
  • while in recovery hold power + volume up to get the recovery menu. it's finicky so you may have to do that button combo a few times
  • select update via ADB
  • on your computer do 'adb sideload whateveryounamedit.zip' (without the quotes)
  • reboot when prompted

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I got impatient and sideloaded 4.1.2 on my Nexus 7 so I could enjoy landscape with the default launcher. Unfortunately, after using Nova Launcher until now, the default one seems really barebones and puts too much padding around the various widgets and icons I've got on the home screen. Are there any settings for it buried somewhere in Settings? I poked around and couldn't find anything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I get a service plan to go with the Nexus 7 or should I just deal with ASUS? Are they really THAT bad?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

I got impatient and sideloaded 4.1.2 on my Nexus 7 so I could enjoy landscape with the default launcher. Unfortunately, after using Nova Launcher until now, the default one seems really barebones and puts too much padding around the various widgets and icons I've got on the home screen. Are there any settings for it buried somewhere in Settings? I poked around and couldn't find anything.

Is there a reason you don't just use Nova?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

Is there a reason you don't just use Nova?
No, there's no reason other than I'm past the "tinker for the sake of tinkering" phase of my life and I wanted to see how customizable things were with the stock JB experience. Since I posted that question I discovered that lock screen rotation works even if I choose Nova as the default launcher, though, so I'm going to continue to use Nova.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, what?

I thought it was Google Wallet that was ending that promotion.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Mr. Despair posted:

I thought it was Google Wallet that was ending that promotion.
It asked me to associate a credit card with it and when I did I got the $25 credit.

Its letting me do this multiple times if I have as many different accounts as I have credit cards.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I couldn't get it over the weekend, it rejected multiple credit cards, but that might be to do with my mum's gmail account being registered in the UK.

Anyway this is the video showing the crack in my screen, Asus tech support people insist that 'under no circumstances will warranty ever cover a cracked screen' but they are just the phone support people so I guess I need to RMA it and then complain directly to the actual service people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-nbnPyZYM

So in the meantime, be careful turning your nexus on, you just might break it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/10/htc-backs-out-of-u-s-tablet-market-says-it-was-a-learning-experience/

Looks like HTC is out of the Android tablet market for now.

Also, I wonder if I'll actually get the $25 credit on the Nexus 7 since I've had Google Wallet on my phone for a while now.

illectro posted:

I couldn't get it over the weekend, it rejected multiple credit cards, but that might be to do with my mum's gmail account being registered in the UK.

Anyway this is the video showing the crack in my screen, Asus tech support people insist that 'under no circumstances will warranty ever cover a cracked screen' but they are just the phone support people so I guess I need to RMA it and then complain directly to the actual service people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-nbnPyZYM

So in the meantime, be careful turning your nexus on, you just might break it.

What is the serial number of your tablet? It'll start with a C, check the box if you still have it.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/10/htc-backs-out-of-u-s-tablet-market-says-it-was-a-learning-experience/

Looks like HTC is out of the Android tablet market for now.

Also, I wonder if I'll actually get the $25 credit on the Nexus 7 since I've had Google Wallet on my phone for a while now.

What is the serial number of your tablet? It'll start with a C, check the box if you still have it.

It's a C7O - so manufactured in July I guess

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

illectro posted:

Yeah that's a pretty good plan. I did the same thing with a deli slicer and the service people were way more helpful than the vapid idiots on their support number.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

illectro posted:

Have you spoken to customer service yet?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

eric posted:

Have you spoken to customer service yet?

I spoke to one person so far and honestly I doubt they would have much say as to the status, I just need to get it shipped to them and then start the real bargaining.

Hopefully the video will have a few more views by then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Can some one who has a 16GB Nexus 7 and is not afraid of doing a factory reset try something for me?

Download this and run a full test.

Next, copy files to your nexus until you have less than 3GB free space.

Now run the benchmark again.

Note if your read and write speeds have changed.

Finally, delete the files you copied on to the tablet and run the bench mark one more time.

If your benchmark had gotten worse when you had less than 3GB of space, did it get better when you deleted the files?

There seem to be a lot of people (myself included) who are experience ridiculous slow downs once the tablet has had less than 3GB of free space, and performance doesn't improve until the tablet is factory reset

I am hoping that someone on here can test the above steps for me so I can get some feel of if this is a universal problem that is repeatable or if there is something wrong with my tablet.

Apparently, this problem is fixed with the update to 4.1.2.

Still wondering if it's a good idea to get an extended warranty with the Nexus 7.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

illectro posted:

I spoke to one person so far and honestly I doubt they would have much say as to the status, I just need to get it shipped to them and then start the real bargaining.

That sounds like a bad idea and they'll probably just send it back without an RMA number. I would try speaking with CS and escalate to a supervisor if necessary.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Tunga posted:

OTA Rootkeeper should do the trick.

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

revolther posted:

So far with the Transformer Infinity no gripes or issues.

Would you consider it worth it only with the keyboard dock though? I'm thinking of getting one, but may not be purchasing the dock.

revolther
May 27, 2008

shino posted:

Would you consider it worth it only with the keyboard dock though? I'm thinking of getting one, but may not be purchasing the dock.
Eh, the dock/keyboard is nice and really is useful, but it isn't a clincher by any means. Typing on it is comfortable, but the size of the display coupled with the resolution really makes typing with the onscreen keyboard pretty pleasant.

The tablet itself just flies, everything is so snappy using just the default JB launcher that I couldn't imagine a more painless experience. With slower phones and the Nook Color I've owned there was always a tiny frustration with Android UI performance that I just overlooked having known truly slow computers in my life, I don't really get that at all with the Infinity.

It's not exactly like browsing the web on the desktop (an SLI'd i7 with 16gigs of Ram), but it isn't too far off. It certainly never feels reminiscent of the "mobile browsing" I'm used to or like it's chugging at all, but rather clipping along as fast as the wifi is grabbing packets.

I've also never put it in performance mode or overclocked anything either.

A prudent me would say new processors are coming out that will blow away the Tegra3 soon enough, but we have no regrets with the Transformer Infinity and I feel like it'll serve it's purpose well into the next few years barring some immediate web content paradigm shift.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

revolther posted:

With some flights coming up though, I really wish the 40 pin connector on the keyboard dock was reversible so I could clamp the pair together screen facing up, trading the extra girth for battery life. It would also make setting them up as a TV/alarm clock/picture frame/remote control a lot more elegant.

It seems so logical I want to try it, but a little too cautious for that.

The cord only plugs in one way and the latches in the dock are set up so they only lock in one direction... but I just now tried it anyway. No dice. The tablet doesn't even slot in far enough to keep it slightly stable.

Of course now that you mentioned it now I really wish it could slot into the dock "backwards" too. Maybe with the next revision?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any setting to turn OFF the homescreen rotation on the Nexus 7? I liked it the way it was before.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I accidentally clicked no in clockwork mods recovery panel during the Nexus 7 update and now when I check for updates I see none. Did I screw myself out of updating or will it just eventually rebug me about it?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Evil Vin posted:

I accidentally clicked no in clockwork mods recovery panel during the Nexus 7 update and now when I check for updates I see none. Did I screw myself out of updating or will it just eventually rebug me about it?

The zip should be downloaded somewhere on your tablet, and you should be able to browse to it and flash it using CWM with no problem.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 11, 2012

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

eric posted:

That sounds like a bad idea and they'll probably just send it back without an RMA number. I would try speaking with CS and escalate to a supervisor if necessary.

I have an RMA and the package is sent, I just need to convince them that it's their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

illectro posted:

drat, that is a good idea. I forgot that your youtube video will be the ultimate bargaining chip. Bad Press is poison to a company like This. You should post some more Videos detailing the whole process, I'm very curious about how this all Plays Out.