Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Talking about post emissions Corvettes before the 90s isn't really fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

River Raid
Apr 2, 2004

GODDAMN I AM A HUGE MORON! WITH A JETPLANE OF STUPID!

Octopus Magic posted:

Talking about post emissions Corvettes before the 90s isn't really fair.

No poo poo. My wife's '81 Corvette was such a dog before we rebuilt it without all the needless and poorly engineered poo poo they bolted on. After a new exhaust, new manifolds and new heads, and a Hurst transmission kit, it went from being the slowest vette I had ever seen to running solid low 12s while still being a decent little commuter for her (we live less than 2 miles from work in an area with almost no real traffic.).

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Kerrow posted:

Seriously, I drive a 15 years old, 1.6 90HP Ford Mondeo. It's enough. I wouldn't want to do fully loaded 100+ miles highway drives doing 80MPH in it, but for everything else it's just fine...

Cars today weigh a poo poo ton more than they did 15 years ago.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

My 15 year old Eclipse is around 3100 lbs. :saddowns:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

1993 1.6l Mondeo: 2,678lb curb weight roughly
2013 base Mondeo: 3,322lb

So roughly 25% heavier, yet the base Mondeo still has double the power of the '93. Cars are stupidly over powered these days, with most of that power being used to propel gigantic SUVs to ridiculous speeds while the driver reads tweets on their phone.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
I looked up my first car, a 1986 mazda 626 to compare it to the newer mazda6 and it comes out to almost exactly the same ratio as the mondeo. I suppose I ought to read how I am endangering my life with less than 200hp now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

1993 1.6l Mondeo: 2,678lb curb weight roughly
2013 base Mondeo: 3,322lb

So roughly 25% heavier, yet the base Mondeo still has double the power of the '93. Cars are stupidly over powered these days, with most of that power being used to propel gigantic SUVs to ridiculous speeds while the driver reads tweets on their phone.

A lot of the weight comes from all the air bags and bullshit meant to keep these idiots alive when they plow into a minivan full of orphans while reading their tweets.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
drat orphans ruin it for everyone.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Japanese man owns Porsche 962C and street drives it like a badass.
http://vimeo.com/50473835

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've been seeing this for at least a few months now in a driveway a couple blocks from where I'm living now, but now that I've spotted it parked streetside I've been able to get some decent pictures:

...And in the driveway:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

I have 160HP and that is in no way unsafe. What a bunch of babies.

My enormous family sedan has 275hp. Toybaru drivers are BABIEZ.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Das Volk posted:

Where at?

Exotics Racing in Las Vegas.

Nice crew. Great cars. I'm working out the best place to put the videos (probably Vimeo at this rate).

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

At the track place with the tent in Vegas? drat dude, you spent some money there. I only did the 458 and the Cayman. Fuckin a, that was a lot of fun, though.

Yeah.

It was fuckin' worth it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Bang Me Please posted:

Japanese man owns Porsche 962C and street drives it like a badass.
http://vimeo.com/50473835

I know nothing about Japanese regulations but how the hell would you make that road legal? I thought Japan had some of the toughest vehicular regulations in the world.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
From last weeks exotic cars and coffee.

Crossposted from the Craigslist thread because Slidebite mentioned it would be his dream garage. As I said there, it's like my childhood dream, just grainier.

This little fella was a gorgeous 2 owner, 30k km 6 speed coupe in my favorite color combo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

River Raid posted:

No poo poo. My wife's '81 Corvette was such a dog before we rebuilt it without all the needless and poorly engineered poo poo they bolted on. After a new exhaust, new manifolds and new heads, and a Hurst transmission kit, it went from being the slowest vette I had ever seen to running solid low 12s while still being a decent little commuter for her (we live less than 2 miles from work in an area with almost no real traffic.).

you live less than 2 miles from work and she commutes that distance in a 12s Corvette?! Now that's AI. Please tell me she's managed to get to work in under a minute.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

A lot of the weight comes from all the air bags and bullshit meant to keep these idiots alive when they plow into a minivan full of orphans while reading their tweets.

There is also the fact the first gen Mondeo was 176.5" long and the modern is 191.7" long (and 4-5" wider and taller too)

e. That means the modern one is pretty much 90s Taurus size and in a similar weight range

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 10, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Linedance posted:

you live less than 2 miles from work and she commutes that distance in a 12s Corvette?! Now that's AI. Please tell me she's managed to get to work in under a minute.

She probably does, it just takes a while to repack the parachute :ms:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

As promised, some video:

Porsche Cayman R:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WJM-SvjgRI

Porsche 911 (997) Turbo S:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXkXKs7YpdU

Ferrari 458 Italia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2M0AotZEg

Ferrari F430 Scuderia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBmbDryCHA

It really is the Ferrariest Ferrari. Gets my heart rate up just listening to it in that video.

Coming soon: McLaren MP4-12C - they didn't include it on my DVD so I need to wait for it to come in the mail. :(

ninja edit: I clipped out all the pre-drive and post-drive chatter. It's interesting but probably only to me. :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Why'd they let you run the 458 without a helmet?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I had difficulty seeing over the enormous erection this picture gave me to actually post it, but I managed.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Why'd they let you run the 458 without a helmet?

Not enough headroom. There's remarkably little of it in the 458. The instructor couldn't wear his in it either, IIRC.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

My enormous family sedan has 275hp. Toybaru drivers are BABIEZ.

My point is that "only" 160HP in a 1400kg car is plenty to get out of its own way, therefore 200HP in a 1200kg car is not unsafe at all.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sofullofhate posted:

Exotics Racing in Las Vegas.

Nice crew. Great cars. I'm working out the best place to put the videos (probably Vimeo at this rate).

I ask because usually those things are hamstrung in some way, with limiters or freaked out "instructors" and the like. If you want to really know what the current crop of exotics are like to drive, that can be a drat good way of doing it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Emissions be damned when you're looking this awesome. :black101:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

mutt2jeff posted:

I had difficulty seeing over the enormous erection this picture gave me to actually post it, but I managed.

I was wondering why this profile looked somewhat familiar:

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Terrible Robot posted:

If you've ever been to Bristol, Tennessee you may have heard of Rt. 421, or The Snake as it's called. It's basically a lesser known Tail of the Dragon. It is a very loving fun and dangerous road. It travels over 2 mountains and through a valley in between. In the middle of the valley is a 4 way intersection with a store, The Snake Shop. They sell fuel (Snake Venom, the grades are snake themed as well) and have a room devoted to pictures and pieces of bikes/cars that couldn't hack it. It's a really awesome little place in the middle of an absolutely beautiful area. Anyway, they have this parked out front.

Thanks for the tip, man. I just moved to Johnson city and will have to check out this road.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sofullofhate posted:

Not enough headroom. There's remarkably little of it in the 458. The instructor couldn't wear his in it either, IIRC.
Were you as impressed by the 458 as I was? It felt like perfect. Comfortable, easy to drive, good looking interior. Nothing that felt weird about it. I'd never driven anything fancier than a 1st gen RX7, but I felt right at home in it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

...And in the driveway:

I like this one better.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

sean10mm posted:

The concept of what is and isn't a lot of power has gone totally apeshit since my childhood in the 80s. :corsair:

I mean, a top of the line Corvette was a 230 HP car. That's from a 5.7L V8. A US Spec 911 Turbo or Ferrari 328 had well under 300. Now you have pretty basic cars pushing 300 HP.

When I was in high school in 1990, the Mustang GT made 225 horsepower. It seemed like a lot, especially compared to other cars of the era. My ex-wife bought a new 2000 Mustang GT back when we were dating. That had 260 horsepower, and again, it was pretty drat fast in a straight line compared to contemporary cars. Our 2005 Corvette had 400 horsepower and that was unheard of outside of something really exotic.

Now you can buy a Mustang GT with more horsepower than that Corvette. The base Mustang makes considerably more power than the our old GT. Pedestrian sedans like the Accord are inching up on 300. For less than $100,000 you can find a production factory American car that pushes out 850 horsepower. Even in the dark days of SAE gross inflated horsepower and thinly disguised "factory" racecars sold in single digits, I don't think you ever saw this kind of power.

This is insane.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
What an MR2 reboot should look like

MRS with a bodykit based on...

This Autobacs racecar.

Z4MC GT3

Corollas can be cool?!

Palette cleanser

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

einTier posted:

Even in the dark days of SAE gross inflated horsepower and thinly disguised "factory" racecars sold in single digits, I don't think you ever saw this kind of power.

This is insane.

Even if you did, it never had this kind of drivability, reliability, or warranty.

30 years ago, yeah, you could build a 600hp SBC. It would idle like poo poo, hate anything less than 94 octane, and would be burning quite a bit of that high-octane fuel courtesy of the giant Holley carb sitting on top. Nevermind emissions tests.

Or if you go a bit further back, you probably would've used a big block to do the job - and had to deal with a vastly heavier engine up front.

Today, you can get that power with an all-aluminum small-block that will idle all day long without overheating or fouling plugs, and do so at a typical idle RPM. It will handle a quarter mile pass just as nicely as sitting in the In-N-Out drive-through.

Hell, a proper 300hp SBC used to be something you'd have to work towards on an aftermarket build if you weren't starting with, say, the original LT1. Magazines have done countless articles on it. Now, it's "go to the junkyard and pick a GenIII out of a truck."

Insane is right.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

bidikyoopi posted:

What an MR2 reboot should look like

I see an elise crossed with a del sol, although if you look at it long enough I suppose it could work.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brigdh posted:

I see an elise crossed with a del sol, although if you look at it long enough I suppose it could work.

It looks like a baby Zonda.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I would drive the poo poo outta that MR2 reboot.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Were you as impressed by the 458 as I was? It felt like perfect. Comfortable, easy to drive, good looking interior. Nothing that felt weird about it. I'd never driven anything fancier than a 1st gen RX7, but I felt right at home in it.

Yup. I'd daily drive a 458. Amazing, amazing car in every way. Great sound, great brakes, great ride, super handling.

I loved the F430 Scuderia the most from a pure "oh my god, this is what I always hoped a Ferrari would be" perspective, and I had Ferraris on my wall as a kid rather than Lambos.

I loved the MP4-12C the most from a "learning to do things right" perspective, because it talks to you all the time - and smacks you if you do things wrong. But if you react well, it will come right back into line. And it is monstrously quick.

I loved the Cayman R the most from a pure driving joy perspective. So fun, so tossable, so responsive. I wish the transmission didn't automatically gear down when you stomp on it, but that's a tiny niggle against a car that I will probably end up buying. Or an Elise. OH NO CANNOT DECIDE

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

sofullofhate posted:

As promised, some video:

kickass videos

It really is the Ferrariest Ferrari. Gets my heart rate up just listening to it in that video.

Coming soon: McLaren MP4-12C - they didn't include it on my DVD so I need to wait for it to come in the mail. :(

ninja edit: I clipped out all the pre-drive and post-drive chatter. It's interesting but probably only to me. :)

Hoooly poo poo. I'm saving my money for the next time I'm in vegas.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Just spend your gambling winnings on it. Oh. :smith:

Great videos, always wanted to try that out.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

An observer posted:

Hoooly poo poo. I'm saving my money for the next time I'm in vegas.

DrPain posted:

Just spend your gambling winnings on it. Oh. :smith:

Great videos, always wanted to try that out.

I left Vegas up $100 at the Blackjack table. So it paid for like 1/19th of the time at the track.

And that's ok. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hell, a proper 300hp SBC used to be something you'd have to work towards on an aftermarket build if you weren't starting with, say, the original LT1. Magazines have done countless articles on it. Now, it's "go to the junkyard and pick a GenIII out of a truck."

Insane is right.

A buddy of mine has a 40k mile 2000 Z28 with headers and 4:11 gears that is his pride and joy. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have anything on most newer cars power wise. I told him to watch out for Camry's blowin his doors off. My '06 Monte SS is quicker than his car by a bit and he's jealous of my heated seats and gas mileage. His car is loud, rides rough, and gets horrible gas mileage but open headers and your foot on the floor through three gears is still glorious even if you're not the top dog anymore.