Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Lag is probably going to kill me, but I have to try Paladin shield deflection now. Can you imagine how amazing that'd look, just batting an Atlas missile off into the sky? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The Volus Adept: a fat ball that wields biotic balls and balls around balling things for ballin' debuffs. Just... ballin'.

He also traps things in his stasis ball. He really does have a lot of balls.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Elotana posted:

The enemies ignoring the drone were the ones who didn't damage it anyway.

The basic test for making drone powers worthwhile is "can they kill a basic trooper before the trooper kills it?" The only one that passes that test is the offensive Geth Turret. With the buff to combos 0/6/6/6/6 seems like a no-brainer for FQE and HE.

The FQE is terrible because Cryo Blast is terrible. Cryo doesn't trigger fire explosions and won't set up cryo explosions unless the target is completely frozen (in which case, they were down to health and were going to die immediately anyway).

HE, on the other hand, is absolutely awesome now. Overload and incinerate can be chained and overload's instant hit makes combos hilariously easy. Equip a Talon with Cryo Ammo and you can easily add cryo explosions to the mix.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ruin Completely posted:

Is that a bad thing Amateur Saboteur? I haven't used the Raider but people seem to like it, and I kind of like the Argus, although I'll like it much more once it's a higher level and does the appropriate amount of damage for how much of a kick it has.

And I think the Paladin light melee is my favorite light melee in the game, even without that new information.
The guns just aren't my cup of tea nor do they fit my playstyle so I'd much rather be getting one of the 7 or so classes I still haven't unlocked.

Also, I'd really like to get at least one Platinum match going this weekend on Xbox.

I've barely been able to scramble up a full goon stack these past few days much less hardcore dudes looking to rumble with such likes. I'll be on after about 12 noon tomorrow EST and I'll be playing or otherwise idling until we can gather a full group. That is if anyone is interested at all, besides the challenge factor I've been meaning to run one just to say so I mean I imagine not many people have completed a legit non-Glacier cheese run and I'd like to make that happen.

It feels like for the first time since the game was released stuff counts since there's no baby mode enemy/map combo or trivializing ability exploits (at least as far as I know). I'm sure I could find a decent pub group if it took me half the day, but obviously this way is much preferred.

It's times though I feel like only PC goons are alive in this game :sigh:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
PC goons are somewhat lively, but unfortunately many of us are scattered around the globe and cannot play together very well because this game handles lag in the most annoying way possible.

It can also be a bit hard to find goons because so many lives 5 hours or more apart.

This game really needs a chat lobby so it can build a loving community. I'm getting pretty sick of Facebook being the go-to for literally everyone. I think some games are even ditching official forums for that poo poo.

e: I know there are forums, but would you really want me to subject myself to that?

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
and now, on the incredibly minor achievements front, I'm #1 in Challenge points for the whole entire New Zealand.

I have a life, I swear.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
^^^ You're the only person on my friends list ahead of me. :argh:

Tried out the Paladin for the first time since the patch. I thought I liked Snap Freeze before, but now that it explodes? Beautiful.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

zxqv8 posted:

:aaaaa:

I had no idea! I mean, I've made use of the shield a lot, but I didn't know this was a thing.

PALADIN. BEST CLASS.

I've been saying it all along the Paladin is the best full stop. He is practically Iron Man with all his gadgets and tech powers and functional invincibility.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Now you know how I feel about Spirallogic. He invites me into a game and he's already got Biotic God. How is that even possible? I mean, I'm visiting my parents in small-town NZ and there's nothing else to do at all so I've been playing 4-5 hours a day and I'm still miles off a the Dog of War banner (which is the one I'm going for).

On the other hand, he was playing Volus Adept and had "Biotic God" floating above his head in the game, so I can't really be mad at him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Volus Adept is baller as hell, pun intended. Stasis-Ball poo poo to kill it, give him a scoped Paladin to get damage in, and otherwise just hang out near your bros healing them every few seconds and cloaking to run past everything to get to an objective.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Solomonic posted:

Lag is probably going to kill me, but I have to try Paladin shield deflection now. Can you imagine how amazing that'd look, just batting an Atlas missile off into the sky? Jesus.

I'd prefer to bat an Atlas missile back into the Atlas. If only... :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So I stop playing for a month and what the... :stare:

I reeeeeally wanted a Volus, but getting both Turians ain't too bad. The stimulant pack seems almost unfair - with a duration-specced cloak and taking the +5 grenades bonus, I can pretty much walk through Gold with a Turian Ghost without having to use any consumables (adrenaline mods help a ton though). Currently I'm running with a Hurricane and a Valiant.

Welp, here's my manifest - http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=x1stad&platform=pc - can somebody tell me 1)A good build for the Havoc that lets me be dumb and still kill things? and 2)should I respect my Ghost at all?

I've only played a couple maps tonight - the new "hazard" Dagger (were there environmental dangers? I didn't run into any), and then Glacier. I have to say, the farmproofed Glacier is a loving fun map when doing Cerberus Gold. Even though getting surrounded by clusters of Dragoons (gently caress those guys) and Phantoms is annoying, I can usually solo pairs of any enemy (sometimes Phantoms if I'm in the right rhythm).

The Collectors are kind of lovely. I think they're easier to deal with than the Reapers except on objective waves, where the CPU magically spawns a pair of Scions on BRONZE at positions that can really pin you down while dropping possessed Praetorians on you.

I also like the changes to the multiplayer menus and the manifest itself - I really hope Bioware has decided to concentrate on making this game awesome, because all these changes have made everything a lot more fun.

So did I miss anything else?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

precision posted:

Maybe stating the obvious but the Argus is in the Single Player so you know if you ever played that you should have an idea of what it's all about.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've never had the Argus in SP. It was probably a pre-order bonus you got with some stores or if you pre-ordered on Origin, whereas I think I ordered my (boxed) copy from Amazon and didn't get it.
I think it may also have been introduced (again) with the Leviathan DLC which I also don't have.

Either way, who gives a crap about singleplayer, right? :v:

EDIT: Or maybe I actually do have it and just never bothered to try it. I don't even know anymore :I

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yeah, definitely hurts the Human Adept, N7 Fury, and Volus Adept. All fun and effective classes, except when lag makes all your biotic attacks fail miserably.
Had some surprising success with human adept tonight. The new Singularity at least lets you compete with the newer adepts. If only Shockwave wasn't still bugged... :sigh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Volus Adept is great but I'm not really feeling the Engineer. Recon Mine in particular confuses me, why would you scan dudes instead of just blowing them up? I guess guess if you stick a recon mine on the other side of the map, get a spawn appearing there, then trigger the mine, then that could be rather satisfying, but for how impressive the explosion looks it doesn't even do that much damage. Certainly not enough to kill anything outright.

OTOH the Adept's ability to stack three debuffs onto bosses is worth the price of admission alone, makes Atlases go down like bags of rocks. Spam Shield Boost to keep people alive, and drop a Stasis at critical chokes every now and again as well.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
So, uh, what's with enemies sometimes forming human pillars in Reactor? Was that something that happened before this update? I thought it was a problem on my end until a Vorcha tried stabbing them.

I played a bunch of silver games with some random people, mostly against Collectors, and had a ton of fun. Partly because my Fury and someone's Justicar paired up for some explosions, but mostly because the lag was unnoticeable. I can't even remember the last time I played this game without twitching back and forth while trying to accomplish the difficult task of standing still.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like the new DLC has awakened the hordes of absolutely terrible players from their slumber. As simple as this game is, it continually amazes me that people can be so insistent on running off into some far away corner and dying while not using any consumables or helping complete objectives whatsoever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So did anyone here end up with a Crusader X yet? I got IX this time.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

NuttO posted:

So, uh, what's with enemies sometimes forming human pillars in Reactor? Was that something that happened before this update?
Yeah, once in a while. Used to be more common several months back.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
Every time a teammate is running through the reactor and it is ready to vent, I want to press the button. One day it'll happen and I'll feel bad after.

Are any of the SMGs worth using other than the Tempest, Hurricane (I'll trade all 5 of my valiants for one) and maybe Hornet?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Mr Dog posted:

Volus Adept is great but I'm not really feeling the Engineer. Recon Mine in particular confuses me, why would you scan dudes instead of just blowing them up? I guess guess if you stick a recon mine on the other side of the map, get a spawn appearing there, then trigger the mine, then that could be rather satisfying, but for how impressive the explosion looks it doesn't even do that much damage. Certainly not enough to kill anything outright.

OTOH the Adept's ability to stack three debuffs onto bosses is worth the price of admission alone, makes Atlases go down like bags of rocks. Spam Shield Boost to keep people alive, and drop a Stasis at critical chokes every now and again as well.

The invasive scan option gives a pretty nice debuff over a wide area which stacks with the debuff from proxy mine. It can be stuck to any surface and does nice damage when you detonate it too.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Volus Adept is great but I'm not really feeling the Engineer. Recon Mine in particular confuses me, why would you scan dudes instead of just blowing them up?
Invasive Scan. It's not so much about the direct explosion damage (though it's good for finishing off enemies and is hilarious on bronze - note that the explosion damage goes through walls, like arc grenade), but the +25% damage from all sources debuff plus 30% slowdown is really good against bosses, especially clusters of them. Combined with the Proxy Mine you get a +45% damage debuff that is a bit more elaborate to set up, but lasts a lot longer and can be applied consistently. The built-in Tactical Scan is a nice boon and also works as a magnet for your teammates, so they actually make use of the debuff, even if they don't realize it's there.

Mr Dog posted:

I personally haven't tried the debuff evolution on the Hula Balls yet, and while I love the Potato Adept, the debuff itself, while also reaching +45% damage, cannot be applied as consistently as the Engineer's can, due to the cooldown and recast delay of of the BioBalls; by the time your third ball hits, the debuff from the first one is only going to last for 3 more seconds or so. Also, it only applies to a single target (unless targets caught in the radius are debuffed as well?) and your teammates won't instinctively shoot your target either.

Overall I'd say the Engineer is the a bit more "useful" one, though neither is useless by any means.
Now to imagine both teaming up for a +90% debuff and an Adept or Sentinel doing a fully Warp/Throw specced BE... should be about 10k damage? :haw:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SirViver posted:

Invasive Scan

Well, the Adept is obviously called BIOTIC GOD but the Engineer is getting renamed to TSA Officer now :haw:

Tagline: "You don't want to know what the procedure for opt-opts involves"

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
I really need to know: does the 25% damage buff from Recon Mine's scan apply to its own detonation? The highlight on the enemies seems to take a second or two to dissipate after detonation, so it occurred to me that the debuff could be applied at intervals and might still be active when the mine goes off.

This is important because it makes the final evolution choice +75% more damage against armor vs +25% more damage against everything including armor. I can't seem to let the mines sit for very long without detonating them; its a compulsion. Because of this I feel like I'm not getting enough use out of the scan debuff, and so have been considering a respec. If the debuff applies to its own damage though and is helping my spam-oriented gameplay, I'll probably leave it how it is.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Just added myself to the list of 360 players, I'm not very good at the game but am pretty twinked out due to an apparent addiction involving spending real money on PSPs.

What kind of weapons are people using on their volengs? I had been using a carnifex/smg combo but am thinking of switching to a sniper rifle for ultimate long range fuckuppery. Cuz God drat recon mine kicks rear end.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Sorry, this is a pretty simple process you laid out, but racking my brain I cannot for the life of me figure out what your (fx) and (tb) initials are supposed to represent or mean.

e: VV right thanks, one last thing is the Scorpion mandatory? I have like 3 of them but I've never equipped it because of how strange it is to use.

Naw nothing mandatory about it. I use the scorpion on platinum or vs. cerberus because there are a shitload of phantoms (who tend to dodge grenades) and the scorpion is the lightest gun that reliably deals with them, but use whatever you want.

My only caveat weapon-wise is to suggest you not equip a priming ammo power if you're playing QME. Ammo powers work off the level of the ammo so they yield a 3/6 or 4/6 tech combo, as opposed to his powers, which should always be 6/6.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
1) pick cerberus adept vs. collectors
2) build up trust for a few waves "its cool guys, focus on the praetorians, i can keep the abominations away with singularity"
3) when possessed abominations show up, lash them into your teammates

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Man, Gold Collectors really gently caress up your poo poo.
I take it Collectors are the new Reapers then?

With all the new classes and their increased survivability (hello Turians), Reapers are basically just huge bullet sponges, but Collectors really gently caress you up in all kinds of fun ways.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
What's my best bet for unlocking the new characters? 60k packs or 99k packs?

nacon
May 7, 2005

James R posted:

What's my best bet for unlocking the new characters? 60k packs or 99k packs?

99k packs - more rares for your dollar, and a better chance at the ultra-rare Volus character cards.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

nacon posted:

99k packs - more rares for your dollar, and a better chance at the ultra-rare Volus character cards.

Yeah. You get double the rares for ~one and a half the cost of the regular Spectre Packs. You'd get less uncommons/consumables from them overall than if you were just buying Spectre Packs, but far more rares/Ultra-Rares.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ok I can take a hint.

Got the Turian Ghost in the next pack. I might actually catch up on classes before more drop.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Adept looks like he's throwing the metal horns sign. This is awesome.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Burning Mustache posted:

Man, Gold Collectors really gently caress up your poo poo.
I take it Collectors are the new Reapers then?
Whoever said silver Collectors feel like Gold was right.

quote:

With all the new classes and their increased survivability (hello Turians), Reapers are basically just huge bullet sponges, but Collectors really gently caress you up in all kinds of fun ways.
Reapers feel like the easiest enemies now, which is weird. Maybe it's just because loving Dragoons keep dogpiling me on small maps, gently caress those bullshit things.

On the other news, holy poo poo improved Paladin. So much tech bursting. ALL OF THE TECH BURSTING.

Right now I have him specced 6/6/6/4/4. What do people think about going 6/6/6/0/6 to get Cryo Shield? I think the loss of 30% power damage would cripple Energy Drain and general damage output a little too much, even if most of it does come from bursts now...

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone combined the Volus Shield Recharge ability with the classic Human Vanguard's Nova, or with the N7 Slayer's Phase Disruptor? I'm curious if you could constantly spam those powers with Shield Recharge now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really, really don't like the Dragoon. Not even because he's annoying to fight, but because there should never be a humanoid enemy in a Mass Effect game with just Armor. It seriously bothers me to my very nerdy core.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Maybe it's a converted sex-bot Cerberus had lying around?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

LogicNinja posted:

On the other news, holy poo poo improved Paladin. So much tech bursting. ALL OF THE TECH BURSTING.

Right now I have him specced 6/6/6/4/4. What do people think about going 6/6/6/0/6 to get Cryo Shield? I think the loss of 30% power damage would cripple Energy Drain and general damage output a little too much, even if most of it does come from bursts now...

Speaking of which, I just unlocked the Paladin.
What am I supposed to do with it?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I am now the proud owner of a Volus Engineer. :getin:

Did the bottom row for Recon Mines, making them more of a support-ish mine, going for full damage on the Proxy Mines, and then 5/3 on the passives to get extra shield boost.

Speaking of Volus passives, what does the Fitness melee upgrade DO? The cloak doesn't do damage afaik and I...don't think the heavy melee shield does either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe it's a converted sex-bot Cerberus had lying around?
The Dragoon is a copy of rejected Cerberus infiltration prototype Dr. Evan Core

http://makanidotdot.tumblr.com/image/24594025359

• Locked thread