Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I don't know what the rules are on this, but here's a petition to bring back RE Outbreak in some form:
http://www.petitiononline.com/042690/petition.html

I'm not the creator, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Fereydun posted:

They cut off a month of development time/polish time at the very minimum, from moving the date from 11-11-12 to October 2nd, so it's probably just that stuff.
I'd say it was more than a month, game looked ready to ship a long while but then they had to probably go back to it to rework the camera issues after the first demo came out. Development must have been fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Ahahaha if there was ever a company to not petition, it's Capcom.

I don't even know why someone would bother. Jeez Louise.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are the wii/gamecube remakes the best way to play through 1-3?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are the wii/gamecube remakes the best way to play through 1-3?

No. Get them off the PSN.

Not to denigrate the REmake, which I happen to quite appreciate, but the best way to experience RE 1-3 is to play those games, the remakes, prequels, etc. etc. are sufficiently different games.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's also only one remake.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Dan Didio posted:

Not to denigrate the REmake, which I happen to quite appreciate, but the best way to experience RE 1-3 is to play those games, the remakes, prequels, etc. etc. are sufficiently different games.

The version of RE 1 on PSN has that awful remixed music.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd say play REmake before RE1. Sure RE1 is a classic, but its really old and crappy and doesn't hold up very well and you'll only want to play it for novelty sake. The REmake is really really good, its the best old school RE game and will give you a proper introduction to the series.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think anyone willing to play RE2 and 3 should also play the first one. It hasn't aged any worse outside of the live-action stuff.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Dan Didio posted:

What if you don't have a PS3? :colbert:

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I've been playing Agent Hunt a good amount. Anyone know if there is any benefit to attacking AI partners? It sucks that they are unkillable, but at least it screws the player out of a revive if they need it.

So far, my best kill has been one shot of acid spit at Leon in the catacombs area. (Chapter 3?) I managed to nail him from above and far away.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I got resident evil deadly silence on the DS which is basically RE1 as is, and I honestly played that more than the remake. I definitely suggest playing both but you should have no problem having a good time with the original game. It's no worse than RE2 or RE3's controls.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The lack of unlockables in 6 is really disappointing. Only 4-5 guns per character and no hidden ones? No weapon upgrading? No costume select outside Mercs? Nothing to use experience on other than generic skills? A real shame since Capcom tends to be pretty good about post-game content.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yeah it doesn't seem like they put any thought into making it replayable. I've finished nearly 3/4 campaigns and I have so little desire to replay even Leon's campaign.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Fraction posted:

What if you don't have a PS3? :colbert:

PSP then :colbert:

The GCN 2,3, and CVX are direct ports that if you can get for cheap are worth it, but I think the prices have inflated since 6 came out (at least where I shop)

REmake is still one of my favorite games, but hell is it brutal... It doesn't become a game as much as a true survival experience. That and it adds to the narrative of the overall RE Universe which I thoroughly enjoy.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Comedy option (aka, what I did): get the PC versions.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The GCN versions are probably the best way to play them. IIRC they have upscaled cutscenes which the PSN versions lack. The PSN version of Resi 2 also defaults to Leon's disk because of how multiple discs are handled in PS1 emulation.

It took me way too long to figure out how to switch discs. :(

Also the PC version of Resi 2 had such low resolution as to be literally unplayable on my PC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I prefer the PC version of RE3. Being able to skip the door loading screens is a godsend.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think anyone willing to play RE2 and 3 should also play the first one. It hasn't aged any worse outside of the live-action stuff.

I really enjoy all the Resident Evil games but the original RE1 is tough to play now. As has been said it has aged alot and without my childhood memories of the game I'm not sure a new player could get into it. Definitely not a good idea for a first experience to the Resident Evil universe.

REmake is wonderful and worth playing on it's own merit but it is almost an entirely different game compared to RE1.

Fraction posted:

Yeah it doesn't seem like they put any thought into making it replayable. I've finished nearly 3/4 campaigns and I have so little desire to replay even Leon's campaign.
I think Capcom have given us a great deal of value in RE6. It has four fairly long campaigns and Mercenary mode. I haven't tried Agent Hunt just yet but that sounds fun as well and knowing Capcom I'm sure they will be adding paid DLC. They also have those events organised on the REnet website if that floats your boat. All in all for $60 dollars AU this is one of the better value games I've purchased this year (with FTL easily beating all other contenders).

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Have they said who Ada's co-op partner is going to be after the update? I'm just going to irrationally hold out hope for Hunk until shown otherwise.

Alternate comedy option: that random guy in the helicopter who shot Carla.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I'm not sure how anyone can see value in RE6's length when half the game's content is boring filler. Has anyone else seen anything to indicate that boss fights proceed based on the amount of ammo you have and not the health of the monster? A friend and I finished Chris' campaign, and we both had tremendous amounts of ammo from playing on Amateur. The boss didn't die until he fired all but his last magazine of ammo into it :stare:

As a side note: Amateur does not do the QTEs for you, despite what the loading screens say. Kinda puts a damper on me getting people to help me to finish this loving thing so I can play mercenaries.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Solomonic posted:

Have they said who Ada's co-op partner is going to be after the update? I'm just going to irrationally hold out hope for Hunk until shown otherwise.

Tofu.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Tofu in mercenaries would redeem this game.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

blackguy32 posted:

I prefer the PC version of RE3. Being able to skip the door loading screens is a godsend.

I think all of Jill's costumes (like her RE1 outfit and the Dino Crisis outfit) are available right off the bat too, instead of having to beat the game multiple times.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Zellus posted:

I think all of Jill's costumes (like her RE1 outfit and the Dino Crisis outfit) are available right off the bat too, instead of having to beat the game multiple times.

In one version they weren't. Mercenaries wasn't in that version of the game either.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The Wii and GC ports are all kind of lazy (excluding the remake of course) and don't include most of the poo poo from the various ports over the years. The original versions on the PSN are still fine, but if you want the best versions:

1: Remake or DS version if you want the old game.
2: Surprisingly its the N64 port, its easily got the most stuff.
3: the dreamcast port (from what Zellus said a few posts above, it sounds like the PC port is based on this version).
Code Veronica: The digital download on the 360/PS3. Its based on the PS2 port, which adds cutscenes of Wesker doing his matrix thing.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 13, 2012

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I really wish that they didn't make some of the serpent emblems character specific, it's pretty annoying having to replay through the chapter to get it since you always have to start at the beginning when switching characters.

Although infinite ammo Magnum is awesome :getin:

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Bovineicide posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can see value in RE6's length when half the game's content is boring filler. Has anyone else seen anything to indicate that boss fights proceed based on the amount of ammo you have and not the health of the monster? A friend and I finished Chris' campaign, and we both had tremendous amounts of ammo from playing on Amateur. The boss didn't die until he fired all but his last magazine of ammo into it :stare:

As a side note: Amateur does not do the QTEs for you, despite what the loading screens say. Kinda puts a damper on me getting people to help me to finish this loving thing so I can play mercenaries.

I enjoy Resident Evil. I enjoy the way this game plays and think the dodge system adds lots to the game. I didn't find the game to be that much filler, I did and do hate the the rope climbing bit in Leons section. The other times they have you do that QTE it's ok but that bit is just awful

RE6 was a labour of love. It has loads of references to the old game and my co op partner and I even decided the boss who follows you during the Sherry/Jake campaign is actually Steve from Code Veronica. You even use the Code Veronica bull dozer on him in one section. This made shooting him in the heart even harder.

I enjoyed the hell out of RE6 and the reviewers giving it a 3 or less are absolutely insane. Even if you don't enjoy the game surely we can agree it's better than most gaming websites scored it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

SolidRed posted:

RE6 was a labour of love. It has loads of references to the old game and my co op partner and I even decided the boss who follows you during the Sherry/Jake campaign is actually Steve from Code Veronica. You even use the Code Veronica bull dozer on him in one section. This made shooting him in the heart even harder.

The game files say he was a regular guy who tried the C-Virus on himself.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the suggestions. I have 1-3 on the PS3 but I rarely play it and I like the GC/Wii controllers infinitely more. It sounds like that's the route I should go. I'm not picky about missing some things, I just want some scary games this month. Still deciding on what I should do for 4. The wii controls are fantastic, as is the port in general. The 360 version looks really nice though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

GUI posted:

The game files say he was a regular guy who tried the C-Virus on himself.

Ustanak is actually Wesker and no one will ever convince me otherwise. The file can be read that way too if you assume it was written by a post lava-dunk Wesker.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

SolidRed posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of RE6 and the reviewers giving it a 3 or less are absolutely insane. Even if you don't enjoy the game surely we can agree it's better than most gaming websites scored it.

I think I'm getting more enjoyment out of the game than most reviewers did, but I did go the extra mile of watching early mercenaries mode videos to get a handle on how to play the game. I think a lot of review scores are justified because of how bad the default configuration is, the game doesn't teach you how the gently caress to play, and the pacing is all over the goddamn place. On top of that, the North American copies don't even come with a manual. There are good parts to this game, but you have to sit through a lot of garbage to get to it.

I really have to agree with whoever said that Capcom needs to take QA lessons from Valve, because there's so much crap in this game that is not fun at all. I'm sure there are several QTEs in this game you cannot pass the first time without knowing they're coming.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SolidRed posted:

Why the gently caress would that make it harder

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Why the gently caress would that make it harder

He's talking about his penis.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tried playing Dishonored earlier today. Got an hour in and it just wasn't grabbing me at all, so I'm going back to RE6 to finish it and get my gaming fix between now and Assassin's Creed 3's release.

Now here's my question: I finished Leon's campaign, but which one do I play next? Chris' or Jake's? I've heard Jake's is pretty lovely and Chris' is action-heavy, so I'm guessing Chris'.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bovineicide posted:

I think I'm getting more enjoyment out of the game than most reviewers did, but I did go the extra mile of watching early mercenaries mode videos to get a handle on how to play the game. I think a lot of review scores are justified because of how bad the default configuration is, the game doesn't teach you how the gently caress to play, and the pacing is all over the goddamn place. On top of that, the North American copies don't even come with a manual. There are good parts to this game, but you have to sit through a lot of garbage to get to it.

Yeah, I was talking about it with some people on another board, and RE6's flaws are really interesting to me. If you look at how the conversation developed just on this thread, it goes like this:

"Man, why does this game do [A]?"
"Oh, you can do [B] and that works."
"How the hell was I supposed to know that?"
"You weren't."

The review copies of RE6, to go off of the one I received, shipped three weeks before the game came out and the only thing that accompanied them was a sheet of paper concerning the details of the press embargo (which amounted to "please don't post spoilers"). There were no notes on how to play the game, and RE6 has an absolute ton of features that it simply does not advertise. I went all the way through the game without knowing about Helena's Hydra quick-shots, Leon's second pistol, how to throw yourself prone, the running jump kick, or the slide.

Once you know how to play the game, which basically comes down to watching a bunch of high-level Mercs footage and seeing what those guys do, RE6 gets a lot better. It's still flawed, but you have a ton of tactical options with which to deal with those flaws. There's just no way you'd know about them from the game itself.

As such, RE6 is almost perfectly designed to completely piss off the first wave of reviewers. It's a game with a substantial learning curve and no method to help the player climb it. Once you've managed that, it's got a few problems with QTEs and level design, but that's the big sticking point.

Bovineicide posted:

I really have to agree with whoever said that Capcom needs to take QA lessons from Valve, because there's so much crap in this game that is not fun at all. I'm sure there are several QTEs in this game you cannot pass the first time without knowing they're coming.

If you go back and look at the earliest trailers posted for RE6, they whacked seven weeks off their development cycle after this year's E3, presumably to avoid getting chopped up in the Halo 4/Wii-U/Assassin's Creed III crossfire. The games are usually much more thoroughly tested than this one was.

You're right, though. Even on the lowest difficulty, there's one in Ada's second chapter that you have to die your way through. There's no time to react to it unless you know it's coming.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Jake's is pretty good, but it's the one where Capcom tried out a lot of their ideas. Some worked better than others. Fortunately, Jake and Sherry are really interesting characters and it's mostly about his maturing as a human being, so any weirdness is made up for.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I kind of enjoyed the demo, so went and bought the game out of a whim. Now I see the reviews. :( Is is that bad? Is there at least a Records section a la Outbreak/RE5?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
No, it is not that bad. It is an enjoyable game. Just play it. But learn all the moves and controls, that will help.

E: on that note, what the hell is up with the metacritic user score? 1.5 out of ten average with thousands of votes? how the hell does that happen, was there an organized vote spam or something?

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wandle Cax posted:

No, it is not that bad. It is an enjoyable game. Just play it.

E: on that note, what the hell is up with the metacritic user score? 1.5 out of ten average with thousands of votes? how the hell does that happen, was there an organized vote spam or something?

Yeah there was a spam bomb dropped on it.