Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I have a cluster of dead pixels on my Evo 4G LTE and took it to the Sprint Store. They wouldn't fix it without charging me $35 because I don't have TEP (or they told me that I could send it to HTC). Is that a normal answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

pragan4 posted:

I have a cluster of dead pixels on my Evo 4G LTE and took it to the Sprint Store. They wouldn't fix it without charging me $35 because I don't have TEP (or they told me that I could send it to HTC). Is that a normal answer?
Yes. Unfortunately, the $35 fee is required for repair/replacement, even during the 1 year warranty.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ender.uNF posted:

Funny enough when I can barely get an LTE signal at my house (only certain spots) which usually gets 2-3 Mbps download speeds. That's as fast or faster than I can get with a perfect EVDO signal, so pretty impressive for a 1 bar / -118dbm signal.
I consistently get about 2 Mbps down at my house, which, as far as I can tell, has the best EVDO coverage in all of North Texas. No LTE here, though, last I saw... where's the tower you're picking up?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't have much experience with trouble shooting airraves since its not like you can bring them in store, but if what you are saying about programming on the airrave is right, then go somewhere else, do a full master ##786# reset (you will need your MSL) and see if that does it. It fully wipes the phone back to factory settings and it reprograms.

Okay got impatient and due to insomnia decided to drive 15 minutes down the road, got a good sprint signal and did this and now it works flawlessly on everything including the airave. I guess the moral of the story is don't activate your new phone while it's connected to an airave. Thanks again, man!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

brc64 posted:

I consistently get about 2 Mbps down at my house, which, as far as I can tell, has the best EVDO coverage in all of North Texas. No LTE here, though, last I saw... where's the tower you're picking up?

I haven't been able to narrow it down. Unfortunately Sprint doesn't share the mapping between tower names and the cell IDs you see in debug screens, so it is difficult to figure out. I'm in a bit of a elevation hole... My neighborhood is the only non-flat area in Plano (named for being a huge flat plain). I'm sure the people down at the end of my street get zero coverage from anyone.

It's odd that you would see good 3G speeds but no LTE. The new backhaul only connects to upgraded towers because it routes differently to the new network centers which only talk to the upgraded hardware. I suppose they may have upgraded the tower by your house but didn't turn on LTE for some reason.

None of it would matter if they were completing 30 towers per week... They'd be done by the end of the year.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ender.uNF posted:

I haven't been able to narrow it down. Unfortunately Sprint doesn't share the mapping between tower names and the cell IDs you see in debug screens, so it is difficult to figure out. I'm in a bit of a elevation hole... My neighborhood is the only non-flat area in Plano (named for being a huge flat plain). I'm sure the people down at the end of my street get zero coverage from anyone.

It's odd that you would see good 3G speeds but no LTE. The new backhaul only connects to upgraded towers because it routes differently to the new network centers which only talk to the upgraded hardware. I suppose they may have upgraded the tower by your house but didn't turn on LTE for some reason.

None of it would matter if they were completing 30 towers per week... They'd be done by the end of the year.

This mystery spot has had great Sprint coverage since we moved in about 2 years ago, so it's not a recently upgraded tower... It's just the one good tower in the entire city. I get decent WiMax, too, but don't use it since I just connect to wifi at home.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

I need some advice. I spent about 2 hours at the mall friday night running between the Apple Store and the Sprint store trying to buy 2 16gb iPhone 5s. The apple store had them in hand, literally in the guys hand, but I was not able to be added as a new account. They tracked it down to me having some sort of half limbo vestigial account still in sprint's system after I went from Sprint to AT&T 2.5 years ago for the iPhone 4.

The help line swore up and down that they cleared it out and that I didn't owe anything on it. Apple store still couldn't create a new account. They reccomended that I run up to the sprint store to see what they said.

Sprint said they could still see the account and that I hadn't been cleared. They said it was just hanging at the credit check, so they offered to run the credit check up there. They did and I was approved for 5 lines/no deposit. They then gave me a 9 digit account number and told me to add new lines to that.

I went back down to the apple store and they still couldn't do anything because the account had no phone number associated with it and they couldn't add a customer with only account number.

Back up to sprint, they said "tough poo poo, it's their fault. We would be happy to sell you a 64gb or put you on a waiting list." I finally said fine put me on a wait list (though they didn't require a deposit) and left the mall empty handed.

Then on Sunday morning I get an email from sprint saying "your sprint bill is ready!!" WTF? Oh boy, inside I find notification that I have an $83 balance for the period from 9/30-10/1/2012. Due on 10/25/12. (Keep in mind i didn't start this whole affair until 10/5) At this point I call customer care and tell them this whole story. They tell me that they can't find any indication that this is associated with my SSN and they advise me to just ignore it.

All of this boils down to the fact that if I want to get an iPhone 5 (which I do) I need to do so before 10/19 because I have a gazelle quote for $176 x 2 for our 2 AT&T iPhone 4. For some reason I still want to go with sprint (dirt cheap) but the local sprint stores don't have any iPhones. Meanwhile the apple store has sprint iPhones falling out of their rear end.

Who do I need to contact I get this poo poo sorted out?

TL;DR Sprint/Apple won't shut up and take my money. Sprint charges me $83 for less than nothing, doesn't know why.

Sorry for the word vomit this is just annoying.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

catspleen posted:

I need some advice. I spent about 2 hours at the mall friday night running between the Apple Store and the Sprint store trying to buy 2 16gb iPhone 5s. The apple store had them in hand, literally in the guys hand, but I was not able to be added as a new account. They tracked it down to me having some sort of half limbo vestigial account still in sprint's system after I went from Sprint to AT&T 2.5 years ago for the iPhone 4.

The help line swore up and down that they cleared it out and that I didn't owe anything on it. Apple store still couldn't create a new account. They reccomended that I run up to the sprint store to see what they said.

Sprint said they could still see the account and that I hadn't been cleared. They said it was just hanging at the credit check, so they offered to run the credit check up there. They did and I was approved for 5 lines/no deposit. They then gave me a 9 digit account number and told me to add new lines to that.

I went back down to the apple store and they still couldn't do anything because the account had no phone number associated with it and they couldn't add a customer with only account number.

Back up to sprint, they said "tough poo poo, it's their fault. We would be happy to sell you a 64gb or put you on a waiting list." I finally said fine put me on a wait list (though they didn't require a deposit) and left the mall empty handed.

Then on Sunday morning I get an email from sprint saying "your sprint bill is ready!!" WTF? Oh boy, inside I find notification that I have an $83 balance for the period from 9/30-10/1/2012. Due on 10/25/12. (Keep in mind i didn't start this whole affair until 10/5) At this point I call customer care and tell them this whole story. They tell me that they can't find any indication that this is associated with my SSN and they advise me to just ignore it.

All of this boils down to the fact that if I want to get an iPhone 5 (which I do) I need to do so before 10/19 because I have a gazelle quote for $176 x 2 for our 2 AT&T iPhone 4. For some reason I still want to go with sprint (dirt cheap) but the local sprint stores don't have any iPhones. Meanwhile the apple store has sprint iPhones falling out of their rear end.

Who do I need to contact I get this poo poo sorted out?

TL;DR Sprint/Apple won't shut up and take my money. Sprint charges me $83 for less than nothing, doesn't know why.

Sorry for the word vomit this is just annoying.

Two possible options. Have the store call the credit department and have your social removed from the account. Then apple can run credit and establish an account. Establish a line on the Sprint account with whatever the cheapest phone is, go to apple add the two lines, then return the original phone to the Sprint store.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

Over the phone or corporate store, either should be fine. Its actually not bad unless the person really doesn't know what they are doing.
This actually was remarkably painless, albeit time consuming. The first guy we got didn't actually know what to do, but at least he was smart enough to go get a supervisor (I assume that's what the white shirt meant). Though the 'supervisor' did say something about Sprint looking at getting rid of the EPRP plans. Heard anything about that?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Is it normal to get banned from Sprint for a week of data roaming? My coworker just got his contract renewed and a new phone last week and today they cut him off. Banned him from Sprint for six months, can't even open a new account. Guy at the store didn't even understand the errors he was getting. It was a Galaxy S 2, but my coworker's first Android and he basically knows nothing about it. Most he could have been doing with it is sending some emails, texts and watching some Youtube. Coverage map on Sprint's site also shows he should have coverage there, though part of his street is 'fair' and the other end is 'good'. I'm having a really hard time believing they just shitcan people with no notice within a week of their first smartphone as if somehow the customer knows what the gently caress just happened.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

CrashCat posted:

Is it normal to get banned from Sprint for a week of data roaming? My coworker just got his contract renewed and a new phone last week and today they cut him off. Banned him from Sprint for six months, can't even open a new account. Guy at the store didn't even understand the errors he was getting. It was a Galaxy S 2, but my coworker's first Android and he basically knows nothing about it. Most he could have been doing with it is sending some emails, texts and watching some Youtube. Coverage map on Sprint's site also shows he should have coverage there, though part of his street is 'fair' and the other end is 'good'. I'm having a really hard time believing they just shitcan people with no notice within a week of their first smartphone as if somehow the customer knows what the gently caress just happened.

Usually it's after multiple months of over 50% or a certain data limit of roaming. Not a week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Hell if they kicked him off no ETF then whatever, sell the phone for apricot and switch to a carrier with better data speeds. Maybe god is just telling him sprint sucks in his area.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I roamed 4 gigs on Verizon this month (and 2 gigs last month) and have yet to see anything from Sprint telling me to cut it out, so who knows what Sprint's policy is.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Hell if they kicked him off no ETF then whatever, sell the phone for apricot and switch to a carrier with better data speeds. Maybe god is just telling him sprint sucks in his area.

I'll buy his phone for an apricot.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm assuming the ETF and other fees will come in a bill in the mail with some sort of nasty-gram, by which time it will be far too late to do anything. But I'm a pessimist like that. Since he's obviously not going to go with Sprint anymore after getting dicked over I'm guessing they won't be willing to negotiate this no matter how much he whines, right?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

CrashCat posted:

I'm assuming the ETF and other fees will come in a bill in the mail with some sort of nasty-gram, by which time it will be far too late to do anything. But I'm a pessimist like that. Since he's obviously not going to go with Sprint anymore after getting dicked over I'm guessing they won't be willing to negotiate this no matter how much he whines, right?

Sprint doesn't charge an ETF when they kick you for roaming too much. They are the one breaking contract, not you.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
While Deutsche Telekom looks to be using the MetroPCS/T-Mobile merger as a quiet exit from the U.S. market, Japan's Softbank appears to want in, via a purchase of Sprint Nextel.

From the Wall Street Journal:
Softbank in Advanced Talks to Acquire Sprint Nextel
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444799904578050104132737498.html

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
It's also possible that Sprint might still submit a counter offer to metro pcs too. This news makes it even more likely as they can use shares as a portion of the purchase package.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Considering PCS has to pay a $150 million fee if it backs away, that Sprint would no doubt have to put up, I don't think there's much chance of that.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm currently on a Verizon plan with my Galaxy S3 which is costing me way too much. I'm stupid when it comes to phones. I've heard theres a really cheap unlimited data plan with Sprint. I do very little calling/texting but need that unlimited data. What is this magical plan? Can I keep my Galaxy S3 and shove Sprints into it? (I've already checked my coverage area with Sprint and it's good.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Manslaughter posted:

I'm currently on a Verizon plan with my Galaxy S3 which is costing me way too much. I'm stupid when it comes to phones. I've heard theres a really cheap unlimited data plan with Sprint. I do very little calling/texting but need that unlimited data. What is this magical plan? Can I keep my Galaxy S3 and shove Sprints into it? (I've already checked my coverage area with Sprint and it's good.)

There was SERO, but it hasn't been offered in years and existing plans for sale only get transferred to people who already have it and want more lines.

There is EPRP, which costs $10 less per month than the usual Everything Data plans IIRC. On the other hand, if you get a typical ED plans there are plenty of discount opportunities - AAA membership is 10% off. Credit Union membership is 10% off. Your employer might have a discount - for example, my dad works at Sears and gets ~25% off. Discounts are not stackable, IIRC.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

The coverage map is... optimistic. The best bet would be to talk to somebody in the area who uses Sprint and find out from them how the service really is. Sprint's biggest problem is that while they offer unlimited data, the speed and reliability of that data is often questionable. It's flat out not going to be as good at Verizon, so know that going in.

As for keeping you S3, Sprint won't activate a phone from another carrier. However, they'll be happy to sell you another S3, which would probably be your best bet. Buy a subsidized Sprint S3, transfer your data (if you're rooted, Titanium Backup would probably work well enough for this), then sell the Verizon S3 on Craigslist to more than make up the cost of the subsidized phone.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG
My aunt bought an iphone, upgrading from an old rear end motorola ic502. is there any free software to get her address book transfered (either on windows or os x) or am I going to have to go to a sprint store?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Q_res posted:

Considering PCS has to pay a $150 million fee if it backs away, that Sprint would no doubt have to put up, I don't think there's much chance of that.

The issue is if they do not step up to the plate their ability to grow through acquisition is severally damaged. They have already stated they are meeting to consider putting in an offer.

They are in a much better position to aquire metro pcs if the stock that is sure to be part of the deal has a higher value and growth potential.

$150 million is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Is screen burn-in a known problem for the Galaxy Nexus? I've got a permanent ghosting of my GPS UI on screens that have a light background. Didn't have this problem on my EVO 4G and I used that just as much for GPS as this phone.

I don't have insurance/TEP :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Raimondi posted:

Is screen burn-in a known problem for the Galaxy Nexus? I've got a permanent ghosting of my GPS UI on screens that have a light background. Didn't have this problem on my EVO 4G and I used that just as much for GPS as this phone.

OLED screens are able to get burn-in, yes. I've seen it on the Nexus S 4G as well which also has an OLED screen.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Raimondi posted:

My Galaxy Nexus gets image retention, where something high-contrast persists after the screen changes, but nothing permanent (as far as I can tell).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Anyone selling a Galaxy S3?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Duckman2008 posted:

I have the email somewhere, I'll try and remember to dig it up Tuesday.

You ever get a chance to find that email?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nickutz posted:

While Deutsche Telekom looks to be using the MetroPCS/T-Mobile merger as a quiet exit from the U.S. market, Japan's Softbank appears to want in, via a purchase of Sprint Nextel.

From the Wall Street Journal:
Softbank in Advanced Talks to Acquire Sprint Nextel
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444799904578050104132737498.html

It'd be drat awesome if this meant Sprint had to for some reason switch from CDMA to GSM, but it will never happen because there's no reason such a merger would carry such a request.

It's infuriating that 5-10 years from now Sprint will still be getting bastard-version phones because of CDMA retention. It's going to be like that iDEN thing all over again where Sprint had to basically decide it was better to go with an ultimatum to the :bahgawd:s than it was to continue to suffer the opportunity costs of not having that spectrum available for NV. I expect the same to be the case eventually for CDMA -> LTE. Years from now there will be people who refuse to upgrade their loving phone because of reasons loving god only knows (at least iDEN had PTT) and it will be that segment of the userbase who will be directly at fault for being stuck with the bumblefuck edition Nexus devices that don't actually get updates from Google, and have to watch the other carriers waltz around with those beautiful Lumia phones (gently caress you they're gorgeous) while a few thousand idiot customers refuse to take a free upgrade because their jitterbug or whatever is familiar.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

The Entire Universe posted:

It'd be drat awesome if this meant Sprint had to for some reason switch from CDMA to GSM, but it will never happen because there's no reason such a merger would carry such a request.

It's infuriating that 5-10 years from now Sprint will still be getting bastard-version phones because of CDMA retention. It's going to be like that iDEN thing all over again where Sprint had to basically decide it was better to go with an ultimatum to the :bahgawd:s than it was to continue to suffer the opportunity costs of not having that spectrum available for NV. I expect the same to be the case eventually for CDMA -> LTE. Years from now there will be people who refuse to upgrade their loving phone because of reasons loving god only knows (at least iDEN had PTT) and it will be that segment of the userbase who will be directly at fault for being stuck with the bumblefuck edition Nexus devices that don't actually get updates from Google, and have to watch the other carriers waltz around with those beautiful Lumia phones (gently caress you they're gorgeous) while a few thousand idiot customers refuse to take a free upgrade because their jitterbug or whatever is familiar.

I don't think Sprint's going to be the only one dealing with this. I read an article on GigaOM the other day saying that Verizon plans to keep it's 2G/3G CDMA network running at least until 2021 for enterprise and M2M customers, and right now that's not even a firm cutoff date. They're saying it's a "guideline" so those customers will have almost a decade to make plans to transition to the newer networks, and if they're still demand for CDMA at that point they'll keep the network running past that date.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
New cities announced by sprint for LTE:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=11320

Sprint today annnounced the names of 20 markets that will have access to its LTE 4G network in the coming months. The new markets include: San Francisco, San Mateo, Redwood City, Santa Rosa/Petaluma, Vallejo/Fairfield, and Napa, Calif.; Cape Coral/Ft. Meyers, Naples/Marco Island, Punta Gorda, Sarasota/Bradenton, and Sebring, Fla.; Fort Wayne, Lafayette/West Lafayette, Terre Haute, Marion, Kokomo, South Bend / Mishawaka, and Warsaw, Ind.; Dyersburg-Union City-Martin, Tenn.; Emporia, Kan.; Greenwood, Miss.; Joplin, Mo.; Lexington Park, Md.; and Ottawa-Streator, Ill. According to Sprint, it has LTE up and running 24 markets already, and is on target to reach 100 markets by the end of the year. Sprint notes that customers in these markets may see LTE 4G service come and go in the weeks ahead of their launch. Timing of the launches was not specified.

Just some random spots. Union City and Dyersburg Tennessee? Really?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

drat it, Indiana before Michigan? gently caress'n hoosiers. Well at least one of those cities is an hour from me so I could make a visit (once I finally get rid of this tp2).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

moolchaba posted:

drat it, Indiana before Michigan? gently caress'n hoosiers. Well at least one of those cities is an hour from me so I could make a visit (once I finally get rid of this tp2).

Are you in Kalamazoo? I feel your pain (and almost made a similar post). I think the original plan was to start covering West Michigan in Q4 of this year but it seems to have been pushed back to who knows when, if ever.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Duckman2008 posted:

Joplin, Mo.;

Joplin, before St. Louis? Really? I mean I guess since their towers were largely destroyed or damaged that kind of makes sense, but I would think St. Louis area would be a larger target.

That said, St. Louis population is all around the city, but not in it. The metro area would probably take a lot of tower upgrades to get covered.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint today annnounced the names of 20 markets that will have access to its LTE 4G network in the coming months. The new markets include: San Francisco, San Mateo, Redwood City, Santa Rosa/Petaluma, Vallejo/Fairfield, and Napa, Calif.; Cape Coral/Ft. Meyers, Naples/Marco Island, Punta Gorda, Sarasota/Bradenton, and Sebring, Fla.; Fort Wayne, Lafayette/West Lafayette, Terre Haute, Marion, Kokomo, South Bend / Mishawaka, and Warsaw, Ind.; Dyersburg-Union City-Martin, Tenn.; Emporia, Kan.; Greenwood, Miss.; Joplin, Mo.; Lexington Park, Md.; and Ottawa-Streator, Ill. According to Sprint, it has LTE up and running 24 markets already, and is on target to reach 100 markets by the end of the year. Sprint notes that customers in these markets may see LTE 4G service come and go in the weeks ahead of their launch. Timing of the launches was not specified.

Great to see absolutely no other parts in New York being added. :suicide:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Good to see they're sticking with their hatred of Evansville, IN.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you in Kalamazoo? I feel your pain (and almost made a similar post). I think the original plan was to start covering West Michigan in Q4 of this year but it seems to have been pushed back to who knows when, if ever.

I'm 50 min from Kzoo. Michigan is hosed.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49408877

Looks like Softbank bought 70% of Sprint. Hope this means NV gets rolled out sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Assuming this is solid (and given that it's sourced from CNBC, it probably is), NV could become interesting in the next few months.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/14/3503246/softbank-buys-sprint-20-billion