Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think sometimes people just think "oh that's a lovely way to start a new page" when they post something boring, since they know it's going to be seen a lot while the page gets loaded. So, they edit in a picture, or some context for their post or whatever, so it's a little more interesting, and not a single line that's like "ha ha yeah p cool bro" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm looking at starting on some sort of a budget so that I can start saving for when I eventually get married/have a house/etc. Right now I'd really just like something to track my spending and what not with, preferably an iPhone app. If there's a desktop component to it too that's ok but not necessary. I'm trying out Mint right now (literally downloading as I type), are there any other suggestions? I'm open to paying for an app if it's a lot better than Mint.

edit: Also what's the benefit of a savings account versus a regular checking account? I never really learned this stuff growing up because my parents always lived paycheck to paycheck.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 15, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The benefit of a separate savings account is just partitioning your money off so you can't accidentally spend your savings on beer or groceries. Oh, you might also get a better interest rate, but that's not guaranteed these days.

If it doesn't cost you to do so, consider more than one savings account, named for whatever you're saving for like "marriage" or "emergency/car fund" with a direct debit from your current account the day after you get paid, that way you're never tempted to spend it instead of saving it this month.

Crawley Heat
Dec 27, 2011

by T. Mascis
Whats the website for that crazy lady who owns a dress shop?? And its pages and pages of links and poo poo...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

when worlds collide posted:

You're not talking about Hearst Castle, are you? Longshot but that's all I can think of, it's been a long time since I've been to California. Casa itself is not what I'd call classical, but the property does have classical elements.

It's closer to the Southern part. It feels like it is just around Los Angeles not far past it. Lots of googling comes up with Citadel Outlets, but I feel like there were some sculptures of griffin like creatures.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Rick posted:

It's closer to the Southern part. It feels like it is just around Los Angeles not far past it. Lots of googling comes up with Citadel Outlets, but I feel like there were some sculptures of griffin like creatures.

The logo for Citadel Outlets is a Sphinx =, and there are sphinxes topping the walls of the citadel, so it looks like you've nailed it

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I'm looking at starting on some sort of a budget so that I can start saving for when I eventually get married/have a house/etc. Right now I'd really just like something to track my spending and what not with, preferably an iPhone app. If there's a desktop component to it too that's ok but not necessary. I'm trying out Mint right now (literally downloading as I type), are there any other suggestions? I'm open to paying for an app if it's a lot better than Mint.

edit: Also what's the benefit of a savings account versus a regular checking account? I never really learned this stuff growing up because my parents always lived paycheck to paycheck.
A savings account generates interest. It's sort of you lending the bank money to invest. They pay you a little less money than they make from it.
While some checking accounts also collect interest, it's a relatively new phenomenon.
You usually have to pay a regular fee for that kind of account, it's less interest than a savings, and there are sometimes other stipulations and fees.

I used Mint for a while, but it seemed like overkill for my simple finances; I haven't heard of anything better for a personal user.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

The logo for Citadel Outlets is a Sphinx =, and there are sphinxes topping the walls of the citadel, so it looks like you've nailed it

Yeah! I just think the initial google image searches I was looking at were of the heavily restored front, and I'm used to the back by the road, but that's it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Also what's the benefit of a savings account versus a regular checking account? I never really learned this stuff growing up because my parents always lived paycheck to paycheck.

I'm not sure if this is an America/Australia thing or if it's just me not knowing much about banking, but I've always been confused about what a "checking account" is. I've always had a savings account that I put money in and is linked to my debit card so I can use ATMs and EFTPOS and buy stuff online. I have a second one that's exactly the same except that it doesn't have a card, so I can keep some money separated, and I transfer money between them either at the branch or online. I get charged for EFTPOS and "foreign ATM" withdrawals, but nothing else. Would that be what Americans call a "checking account" or is that something different? Is that "checking" as in the American spelling of "cheque" or something else? Do people have checking accounts because they use cheques?

Unrelated question: Is there any way to see what a deleted video on YouTube was? I was looking through my favourites today and noticed a deleted video listed, but all the information about it is gone, including the title and who uploaded it. Obviously it was something I liked, so I'm curious about what it might have been.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tiggum posted:

Would that be what Americans call a "checking account" or is that something different? Is that "checking" as in the American spelling of "cheque" or something else? Do people have checking accounts because they use cheques?

Well, the account that you're using as your spending account is fulfilling the same role as a checking account. The account that you use to store funds/transfer is acting as a savings account. They're still probably different, though. My savings account gets a much better rate of interest than my checking account (which still gets some, but not much), but I have to keep a certain amount of money in it (not much) and I think they get mad at you if you're too active with its money. Money in the savings account is meant to sit there and collect interest, not be spent on day-to-day expenses.

Yes, it's 'checking' as in 'checks.' My checking account allows me to write checks, although I don't really do it more than once a year or so-- a checking account isn't really primarily for checks anymore, but it does allow you to write them. Now that I've looked, actually, Wells Fargo has started calling it a 'spending account' in some places. Which is probably a more accurate modern term for what it is.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 15, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
edit: above did better.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The 'checking account' thing had confused me before too (In the UK, it's generally a 'current account'). Wikipedia catches everything under 'transactional account'.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anyone familiar with Google Docs? I only started using it recently (:corsair:) and noticed that exporting it to other formats results in different page breaks/dimensions (the pages usually end up longer than they look on Docs).

I have my Docs page set at letter-sized with 1-inch margins. What's going on?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spastic_crunch posted:

Whats the website for that crazy lady who owns a dress shop?? And its pages and pages of links and poo poo...

I couldn't find it, but I know exactly what you're taking about. The store was in Panama City, Florida, and I could have sworn the lady's name was Eileen, but I couldn't find anything with that name. I seem to recall it was also an "art" gallery as well. Hope this helps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

spastic_crunch posted:

LADIES !!!!!! YVETTE'S IS NOW OPEN TILL 6 P.M. !!!!!!

It's not active anymore, sadly, but it got remade a couple times through the years and each one was crazier than the last. Fortunately, archive.org has most of them.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Work-related question:

Is it possible to create a savable PDF form with embedded, related dropdown menus? For example, if you select USA in the Country menu, only the US states appear in the State/Province menu (if you choose Canada, only the Canadian provinces appear, etc.).

I need to collect a lot of rather detailed info about clients from all over the world. I'd like to have a centralised, foolproof form that they would fill out instead of me having to send them a million e-mails asking for specifications, them missing the question, giving me useless info, me replying back, etc.

Our business is approximately 3 people, so do-it-yourself solutions are necessary :j:.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Work-related question:

Is it possible to create a savable PDF form with embedded, related dropdown menus? For example, if you select USA in the Country menu, only the US states appear in the State/Province menu (if you choose Canada, only the Canadian provinces appear, etc.).

I need to collect a lot of rather detailed info about clients from all over the world. I'd like to have a centralised, foolproof form that they would fill out instead of me having to send them a million e-mails asking for specifications, them missing the question, giving me useless info, me replying back, etc.

Our business is approximately 3 people, so do-it-yourself solutions are necessary :j:.
I don't think that's possible, and besides, dealing with all those PDFs would be a nightmare! Make a website with the form and have it save the responses in a database. It's centralized, and there's plenty of libraries available to help you build the form the way you want.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Work-related question:

Google docs has a form/survey builder that will output everything to a spreadsheet for you.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
What sort of disasters, man-made or natural begin with the letters U, W, X, or Y?

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I don't think that's possible, and besides, dealing with all those PDFs would be a nightmare! Make a website with the form and have it save the responses in a database. It's centralized, and there's plenty of libraries available to help you build the form the way you want.

We don't have money for webhosting :(. Also, absolutely no computer skilles :saddowns:.

Al! posted:

What sort of disasters, man-made or natural begin with the letters U, W, X, or Y?

This looks extremely useful, thanks! I'm going to look and see if they can make related menus. Do you know if that's possible?

Bloody Mayhem fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 15, 2012

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Al! posted:

ready.gov lists wildfires, weather (space), weather (sever), and winter storms, nothing for the other letters though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

U: upheaval, unrest
W: whirlwind, waterspout, weapons of mass destruction

Nothing for X or Y that's not fictional or specious.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Al! posted:

Undertow, massive
X-rays
Yeti rampage

vvv boom, roasted

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Al! posted:

Wang Chung
Xenu's Revenge
Yeti Stampede

e: Golbez :argh:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Followup, here is my disaster alphabet:

Avalanche
Boiler explosion
Crashed plane
Dam failure
Earthquake
Flood
Gas leak
Hurricane
Ice storm
Jail break
Killer bees
Locusts
Meteor impact
Nuclear meltdown
Ozone layer failure
Plague
Quicksand
Rockslide
Stampede
Tornado
Upheaval
Volcano
Wildfire
X-ray bombardment
Yellowstone super-volcanic eruption
Zoo escape

Which of these do you think can be replaced or tightened up?

Al! fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 15, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Al! posted:

Asteroid impact
Bomb blast
Crashed plane
Derailed train
Earthquake
Flood
Gas leak
Hurricaine
Ice storm
Jail break
Killer bees
Locusts
Meteorite rain
Nuclear meltdown
Ozone layer failure
Power outage
Quicksand
Rockslide
Stampede
Tornado
Upheaval
Volcano
Wildfire
X-rays
Yellowstone eruption
Zoo escape

I find Dam Failure to be more interesting than Derailed Train. And hurricane only has one i.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
This is all personal opinion at this point, but bomb blast is a bit weak. Bubonic plague?

Also "power outage" seems a little mundane. Planetary Destruction (complete)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This is all personal opinion at this point, but bomb blast is a bit weak. Bubonic plague?

Also "power outage" seems a little mundane. Planetary Destruction (complete)
Battlefield Earth
Plan 9 from Outer Space

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Al! posted:

Power outage

A Plague of Frogs is so much cooler than having your TV stop working for an hour.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
W could be war.
X X-class solar flare
Y could be Yersinia pestis (plague)
u = underwater volcano?

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 15, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

Yellowstone must be referred to as a "Super Volcano" or at least "Mega Volcano" even though it's probably just going to be the regular kind.

Preview edit for Golbez: I'm sure he meant Herman Cain.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Al! posted:

Asteroid impact
Bomb blast
Crashed plane
Dam failure
Earthquake
Flood
Gas leak
Hurricane
Ice storm
Jail break
Killer bees
Locusts
Meteorite rain
Nuclear meltdown
Ozone layer failure
Power outage
Quicksand
Rockslide
Stampede
Tornado
Upheaval
Volcano
Wildfire
X-ray bombardment
Yellowstone eruption
Zoo escape

You have Asteroid impact and MeteoriteMeteor rain, which are too similar. I guess you could replace A with Australia or something.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Bloody Mayhem posted:

We don't have money for webhosting :(. Also, absolutely no computer skilles :saddowns:.

You can try looking into Survey Monkey and see if that does what you need. My wife uses it at her job to get feedback from customers.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

USPS question:

My work sends a lot of things with signature confirmation. There's a significant amount of times where the carrier doesn't actually get a signature though and the tracking online hangs from then on as "out for delivery" followed by "status not updated." Sometimes it was actually delivered, but most likely dropped off and not signed for, and other times it's held at the post office for re-delivery or return to us with no indication of which. Is there any way to get refunded for the services that we're paying for but aren't provided to us? I'd say it's an extra $4 that we pay per piece of mail to package securely and add signature confirmation but the carrier doesn't seem to bother with it yet charges anyway.

It's bad because these are gift cards we're mailing so it's super important that we see if the proper person signed for it.

Also, would insurance protect us from "status not updated," whether it was actually delivered or not? In a situation where a recipient claims they didn't receive anything, I'm not sure if USPS would reimburse us because we were never given proof that they got it.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2012

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So why can the city fine sports teams over here if they caused riots (yes I am a Vancouverite and still raging on how the Canucks haven't been fined or was sued while they went on a ruthless rioter crackdown). I know in Europe that the teams are partially responsible for the fan's behavior and any damages to the stadium comes out of their pay.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mak0rz posted:

Anyone familiar with Google Docs? I only started using it recently (:corsair:) and noticed that exporting it to other formats results in different page breaks/dimensions (the pages usually end up longer than they look on Docs).

I have my Docs page set at letter-sized with 1-inch margins. What's going on?

My guess is that to properly format into MS products they would have to use some proprietary solution/api/patent and pay MS on a per page basis. Open Office has the same issue (for me at least).

Searching around brought up this:

http://www.drake.org.uk/2011/12/great-googly-moogly-google-docs-pagination-export-issue-is-a-feature/

But other export formats seem to not have an issue. I'll stick with a MS license/patent/etc issue being the problem because export to office would be a day one thing.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I'm really not sure if this is a good place to ask this, but here it goes.

Could a worn out electrical breaker trip under weaker loads? My landlord replaced a couple of lamps over the weekend, and had to have the worker shut off the electricity via circuit breakers while he was working on while rewiring the ceiling lamps. After turning the breakers back on, the circuit now trips every once in a while when I turn on my amp for my stereo system as it goes through diagnostics. I've never had that problem in the 6 years I've lived in the property.

As a side note, I'm not sure if the lamp that was replaced was on the same circuit as the stereo system is, the apartment appears to have been wired by monkeys.

Assuming there isn't a short (which to my untrained eye there isnt given the fact it only trips when the A/V reciever is powering up), would having the breaker replaced solve this problem?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anyway to get the tag on a page changed from shitpost?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Turtlicious posted:

Is there anyway to get the tag on a page changed from shitpost?

Ask a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

CrushedWill posted:

I'm really not sure if this is a good place to ask this, but here it goes.

Could a worn out electrical breaker trip under weaker loads? My landlord replaced a couple of lamps over the weekend, and had to have the worker shut off the electricity via circuit breakers while he was working on while rewiring the ceiling lamps. After turning the breakers back on, the circuit now trips every once in a while when I turn on my amp for my stereo system as it goes through diagnostics. I've never had that problem in the 6 years I've lived in the property.

As a side note, I'm not sure if the lamp that was replaced was on the same circuit as the stereo system is, the apartment appears to have been wired by monkeys.

Assuming there isn't a short (which to my untrained eye there isnt given the fact it only trips when the A/V reciever is powering up), would having the breaker replaced solve this problem?

Assume there is a short. Have the landlord take care of it. It' may just be that the new lights draw more current and you were already on the edge before. It may be lovely wiring.

Sure, it could be a breaker fault but no breaker fault is a good one and repairs like that need to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.