Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I have to say I find this thread pretty interesting. I recently actually, in a bout of craziness, marathoned the first 7 Tony Hawk games. It's pretty...well mind blowing how most of the things added to 4 come from Aggressive Inline.

This might be me looking too far into it but I think Neversoft was well aware of this "borrowing" of ideas. There's many references to Inline Skating in Tony Hawk's Underground 2, including tripping up Inline Skaters, taking down their signs, defacing their tags, and just making fun of them in general. Though that was three full years after THPS4.

Edit: And he wasn't talking about Hanger in THPS2, but Warehouse in THUG2. The first level from the first Tony Hawk game opened up to make an entirely new add-on.

Houle fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Houle posted:

This might be me looking too far into it but I think Neversoft was well aware of this "borrowing" of ideas. There's many references to Inline Skating in Tony Hawk's Underground 2, including tripping up Inline Skaters, taking down their signs, defacing their tags, and just making fun of them in general. Though that was three full years after THPS4.

More likely because there's a "rockers vs mods" mentality between skateboarding and inlines.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

lighting in games has really come so far in the last decade... but yeah, it doesn't seem like there's any lighting at all in these stages, dynamic or static. It just seems like everything is there and there's way too much going on at a time.

This level was nothing but grey, I promise that the other levels are at least more colorful. However the extremely static lighting still persists.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

More likely because there's a "rockers vs mods" mentality between skateboarding and inlines.

That's very possible. It's the only Tony Hawk game that I know of that touched upon this.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, I think the next three videos blanktester and I did are some of the best ones so far, probably because the levels gave us a lot to work with. If you like having fun, destroying things, and/or gangster clowns, you'll love the next level of Aggressive Inline.

Aggressive Inline Level 4: Boardwalk

Text Link

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ovues posted:

Alright, I think the next three videos blanktester and I did are some of the best ones so far, probably because the levels gave us a lot to work with. If you like having fun, destroying things, and/or gangster clowns, you'll love the next level of Aggressive Inline.

Aggressive Inline Level 4: Boardwalk

Text Link

OH MY GOD THIS LEVEL. I played the unholy hell out of the demo and I distinctly remember this level. It was seriously crazy amounts of fun.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
Your skaters's shadow gets like ten times larger when he jumps in the air. That's some amazing stuff.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The Asylum movie night really is the best use of a Netflix streaming account. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried that yet.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
With the lack of inline skating games in existence, I can't help but draw parallels to Jet Set Radio (the HD release helps, there). The way both games turn urban environments into crazy trick funlands is comparable, though they take very different approaches to level design.

Though hey, if JSR was about straight-up demolishment of public property rather than just defacement, it and Aggressive Inline would be long-lost brothers.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Six Of Spades posted:

With the lack of inline skating games in existence, I can't help but draw parallels to Jet Set Radio (the HD release helps, there). The way both games turn urban environments into crazy trick funlands is comparable, though they take very different approaches to level design.

Though hey, if JSR was about straight-up demolishment of public property rather than just defacement, it and Aggressive Inline would be long-lost brothers.

When you said HD release, I thought you just meant Jet Set Radio Future. I am plesantly surprised.

This was one of the better games that I can remember from the extreme sports area, I was at Blockbuster then and I think I played them all. I remember a couple other gems that I'm hoping you'll get to, and some really terrible games as well.

At the very least I am seeing where I missed the hidden goals at. The only one I found was the tree one in the first level, completely by accident. Though I might have only made it one level past this one before my rental was up. Cause I can remember only one other level. And I never could reliably grind across the fallen faris wheel to the other side.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

PSWII60 posted:

At the very least I am seeing where I missed the hidden goals at. The only one I found was the tree one in the first level, completely by accident. Though I might have only made it one level past this one before my rental was up. Cause I can remember only one other level. And I never could reliably grind across the fallen faris wheel to the other side.

Yeah, I said I wasn't going to 100% any levels, since that means getting all the green/purple juice boxes, but I am trying to get all the hidden goals, special tricks and stat upgrades. Also, maybe get the yellow juice boxes, but the guide I follow doesn't have those in there. My videos are pretty much a full guide since I can show everything in a level in 10-20 minutes, and I can probably say that openly now.

Also, what I was about to say at around 3:15 in the vid before I got sidetracked is that a guy on youtube said he used to do the "grind the wingnut" challenge by handplanting a ferris wheel seat up to the top of the ferris wheel then jumping over to the left and grinding it. Now, I tried this a lot and I could never do it. So if anyone ever managed to pull that off, please tell me so I can be sure it's possible. Because I really don't think it is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You weren't grinding the top of the mime. You were grinding his invisible rail helmet. He was so happy that someone finally saw it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

You weren't grinding the top of the mime. You were grinding his invisible rail helmet. He was so happy that someone finally saw it.

Yeah, some people have pointed that out. I guess I never really thought of it like that.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I'm going to get everyone back into the mindset with this sweet kid. thanks .gif thread

Aggressive Inline Level 5: Cannery

Text Link

...I hope I didn't sound like too much of an rear end in a top hat early on. I walk you through the Insetik tips to help you, I promise!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So was that arbies fettuccine alfredo any good blank tester?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ovues posted:

I'm going to get everyone back into the mindset with this sweet kid. thanks .gif thread

Aggressive Inline Level 5: Cannery

Text Link

...I hope I didn't sound like too much of an rear end in a top hat early on. I walk you through the Insetik tips to help you, I promise!

The Airfield was the other one I remembered. Don't remember the Cannery at all though. Also, are those the Soap shoes from Sonic Adventure 2 in that picture?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

PSWII60 posted:

The Airfield was the other one I remembered. Don't remember the Cannery at all though. Also, are those the Soap shoes from Sonic Adventure 2 in that picture?

I don't know, it was a batch of infomercial gifs and that one was slightly related to inline skating. Also I asked blanktester about those two things so he should be here any minute.

EDIT: Seriously, once I see that .gif I posted, I just have to watch it over and over. It's mesmerizing.

DOUBLE EDIT: Someone buy me a pair of soap shoes please.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 8, 2012

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Lucinice posted:

So was that arbies fettuccine alfredo any good blank tester?

blanktester is one word, and it was spectacular, until my tears got in it and watered the whole thing down.

PSWII60 posted:

Also, are those the Soap shoes from Sonic Adventure 2 in that picture?

Yeah, those are definitely Soap Shoes, and I think that is from a commercial for SA2 (the game that swallowed my childhood and will now swallow my college years since I bought it on PSN), but Soap shoes are a real product that was being cross promoted.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Tomorrow won't really be a good day to upload, so you guys get a bonus video now. If you've played Aggressive inline, you probably know that wallriding can be a bit glitchy. You can wallride into most quarterpipes if they're on the side of the level, for one. You can also sequence break the cannery.

Aggressive Inline Bonus Video: Glitching The Cannery

Text Link

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The pole-swings seem like inlining's big unique thing, since you do actually have the skates strapped to you you can acrobat and the skates stay on you.

I am surprised they haven't shown up more.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

The pole-swings seem like inlining's big unique thing, since you do actually have the skates strapped to you you can acrobat and the skates stay on you.

I am surprised they haven't shown up more.

There are more places they show up than have been shown off in the videos. I only really use them when they need to be used for a goal. Still, there's not very many other places they are so far (still haven't played half the unlocked areas).

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
If you really want to get a feel for this episode, just look at the youtube thumbnail for it.

Aggressive Inline Level 6: Airfield

Text Link

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yup. Giant inflatable creatures, which are destroyed by missiles.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
That plane-skitching montage was a thing of beauty.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Six Of Spades posted:

That plane-skitching montage was a thing of beauty.

I kept trying to jump over the level boundaries, but I guess Z-Axis actually made sure to put them high enough that you couldn't. There should have been an area or something you could only get to by using the plane to launch you. Sure, you need to do that to get the wallride stat, but I'm imagining a little area, even if it is just a halfpipe or bowl.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat. Plane-skitching was a crazy boost. Can you keep up the speed as long as you keep tricking?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

drat. Plane-skitching was a crazy boost. Can you keep up the speed as long as you keep tricking?

I... couldn't keep tricking long enough to see. I'm guessing not, since you lose speed across flat surfaces even if manualing.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Like and favorite this video if you, like me, think Ben Stiller should A) Be in Night at The Museum 3 and B) Grind dinosaur bones.

Aggressive Inline Level 7: Museum

Text Link

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that you can't knock the mission pedestals on their asses here. Nice little reward for making it so far.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I like that you can't knock the mission pedestals on their asses here. Nice little reward for making it so far.

Excuse me, knocking the people down is the best part. As to the pedestals being something different than taking orders from people, we have talked to a few computers throughout the levels but those have been few and far between.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Aaaaaand now it's time to go back to all the old levels to visit the new areas. First one up is the Civic Center.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Civic Center

Text Link

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know AI isn't great and it has taken more than its fair share of abuse, but man did I love this game for some reason.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, of course I didn't recognize any of that as the civic center. You didn't reduce any part of it to smoking rubble. Not even a little collapse!

(also, sequel is derived from the Latin "sequela", roughly, "that which follows", so the ninth film in the series is just as much a sequel as the second one)

Glazius fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 15, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Well, of course I didn't recognize any of that as the civic center. You didn't reduce any part of it to smoking rubble. Not even a little collapse!

(also, sequel is derived from the Latin "sequela", roughly, "that which follows", so the ninth film in the series is just as much a sequel as the second one)

Good part of blanktester: half his jokes are funny

Bad part of blanktester: half his jokes leave me with no idea how to respond.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Ovues posted:

Are they the same half?

I'm pretty sure I 100%'d this when I was younger, but I have absolutely no recollection of the Museum at all. Every other level I can recall, but Museum I just draw a blank on. No idea why, it's not like it's the worst level or the most boring.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Just curious, what song was playing in the first half of that video?

Also, you should show off your avatar being run over by those double trains in a bonus update. And I thought blanktester's joke involved the word "squeakquel". I have bad hearing sometimes...

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Just curious, what song was playing in the first half of that video?

Also, you should show off your avatar being run over by those double trains in a bonus update. And I thought blanktester's joke involved the word "squeakquel". I have bad hearing sometimes...

The first song of the level? That was Crawling In The Dark by Hoobastank.

And yes, blanktester's joke did involve the word "squeakquel". I just really didn't want to go down that road so I tried to save it as best I could.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yup, it's time for more Aggressive Inline. This time, we play hard, and discover that blanktester just can't let kids go.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Industrial

Text Link

EDIT: I think I just discovered how you're actually supposed to do the photographer's challenge. There's a halfpipe up in the back corner by the photographer, and if you use the halfpipe to get speed, you can easily jump up to the conveyor belt the photographer wants you to grind.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 18, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The talking dog was at least mildly amusing. Play in the yard, human!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

HEY! I do NOT make funny jokes!

Ovues posted:

...blanktester just can't let kids go.

It's comforting to know that no one thinks that's an outrageous accusation. I appreciate the support, everyone.

Last two episodes that went up were a little light on destruction (in my opinion) but next one up has plenty and is probably my favorite level to visit and to revisit (viewer's perspective, I've never played the game).

• Locked thread