Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Triskelli posted:

Love the names of the foreign nations; République Mécanique, Stahlmark, Novyrus. "#beware any trader with green and yellow striped pants"

Also, would have never considered a night/day cycle, but it makes a lot of sense to have moments of suspense and increased military focus. Maybe as Madness spreads, the night/day ratio can be tampered with, as C'tan or Cog-Shoggoth brings shadow across the land.

The République Mécanique: Ostensibly a republic in which all are equal. Call each other "Citizen This" and "Citizen That". Reformed units of measurement. Gears bought from traders will not fit standardized machines without widget conversion sets. Government is effectively ruled by a giant difference engine named "Le Dictateur". Uses automaton workers and soliders.

The Grand Duchy of Stahlmark: ruled by the Duchess von Stahlmark via charismatic Chancellor; powerful Junker noble-officer class. Militaristic, scientific; heavy weapons, heavy armour. Not so good at ships as they insist on covering every inch with iron plates.

The Novyrus Imperium: Land of snow, fur hats, large beards, political oppression, and trains. Lead by a reform-minded Tzar who insists that everyone really ought to shave their enormous beards off to better fit these New And Changing Times, but this call is met with stiff resistance. Proprietors of whale oil, gulags, serfdom, and male choirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

nvining posted:

The Novyrus Imperium: Land of snow, fur hats, large beards, political oppression, and trains. Lead by a reform-minded Tzar who insists that everyone really ought to shave their enormous beards off to better fit these New And Changing Times, but this call is met with stiff resistance. Proprietors of whale oil, gulags, serfdom, and male choirs.

Readers may laugh, but there was indeed a Beard Tax. Really need to stockpile some weird history books to contribute to the brainstorming

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 10, 2012

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think you said earlier that the world is different than earth and that pretty much every area has it's own version of empire. You going to add more of these in as the game continues? Maybe add in support for playing as alternate civs with their own unique quirks?

P.S. If you make a Middle East analogue it should be ruled by the Iron Sheik.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

nvining posted:

The République Mécanique: Ostensibly a republic in which all are equal. Call each other "Citizen This" and "Citizen That". Reformed units of measurement. Gears bought from traders will not fit standardized machines without widget conversion sets. Government is effectively ruled by a giant difference engine named "Le Dictateur". Uses automaton workers and soliders.

The Grand Duchy of Stahlmark: ruled by the Duchess von Stahlmark via charismatic Chancellor; powerful Junker noble-officer class. Militaristic, scientific; heavy weapons, heavy armour. Not so good at ships as they insist on covering every inch with iron plates.

No please, do go on. :allears:

Triskelli posted:

Love the names of the foreign nations; République Mécanique, Stahlmark, Novyrus. "#beware any trader with green and yellow striped pants"

Also, would have never considered a night/day cycle, but it makes a lot of sense to have moments of suspense and increased military focus. Maybe as Madness spreads, the night/day ratio can be tampered with, as C'tan or Cog-Shoggoth brings shadow across the land.

If this is not a thing, or at least refered too thing, i will be greatly disappointed after it crackled a chuckle out of me. Just so damned appropriate.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/09/storytelling-as-game-design/

On the blog today: the Founding of New Sogwood, wherein various terrible things happen to people and we get to look at a little hypothetical gameplay.

You mention marriage, can any one imperial citizen marry another imperial citizen?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

^ Someone on the forums suggested Cog-Sothoth, which is closer to the actual name (Yog-Sothoth), but I think that Cog-Shoggoth makes for a better joke.

H.P. Gearcraft posted:

Imagination called up the shocking form of fabulous Cog-Shoggoth — only a congeries of incandescent gears, yet stupendous in its malign suggestiveness.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Triskelli posted:

^ Someone on the forums suggested Cog-Sothoth, which is closer to the actual name (Yog-Sothoth), but I think that Cog-Shoggoth makes for a better joke.

The pun is so terrible we may have to see if we can risk infringing on the Lovecraft estate. The main reason why we aren't actually using Cthulhu by name is because exactly Who owns What and under What Circumstances (and what's in the public domain or whatever) is not something we want to disentangle.

But that is rather terrible, and so ... well, screwit, least we can do is put it in Dredmor.

7c Nickel posted:

P.S. If you make a Middle East analogue it should be ruled by the Iron Sheik.

The current concept - although this may vary - is that the Nomads of the Iron Desert are, in fact, ruled by somebody who bears a suspicious resemblance to Dr. Funkenstein. Army of terrifying Star Children not included.

Geokinesis posted:

You mention marriage, can any one imperial citizen marry another imperial citizen?

Well, let's face it, marrying out of one's social station can cause Terrible Scandal and Problems.

nvining fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 10, 2012

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I hope "begrudging source of aluminum" becomes a running gag through all Gaslamp games

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

From the "what the gently caress is steampunk thread in Ask/Tell in response to a poster asking what to wear to a steampunk theme wedding.

Ashcans posted:

You should go, but dress as a coal miner and carry a sign that says "No More Blood For Coal" or alternatively "Jobs for Men, Not Automaton!" Proceed to get drunk and hassle everyone about their oppression of the working class.

If you have a partner going with you, convince her to dress up a suffragette.

It's good to remind people of the social issues they're ignoring from the setting!

I really want to see protestors holding little signs that say things like this.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
That blog post was great. I wouldn't mind reading more in the same vein. It'll be interesting from a game design perspective to compare and contrast them with the finished product, as well.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This might have been answered earlier, but given almost everything is UML driven, like DoD, how much control would modders have over the process?

Would it mostly be tweaking numbers or adding new items, or would it be powerful enough to actually add new concepts/systems to the game simulation?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

nvining posted:

Will there be a Middle Kingdom ruled by an immortal emperor, isolated from the rest of the world by a great wall built to keep barbarians out?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Will there be a Middle Kingdom ruled by an immortal emperor, isolated from the rest of the world by a great wall built to keep barbarians out?
Will they get a Terra-cog-ga Army?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Deki posted:

This might have been answered earlier, but given almost everything is UML driven, like DoD, how much control would modders have over the process?

Would it mostly be tweaking numbers or adding new items, or would it be powerful enough to actually add new concepts/systems to the game simulation?

Nicholas said a LOT of stuff was going to be into XML, more than DoD's.

There's an example of how you could mod in a job here - http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/02/choices-choices/ (scroll down)

nvining
May 30, 2011

Daynab posted:

Nicholas said a LOT of stuff was going to be into XML, more than DoD's.

There's an example of how you could mod in a job here - http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/02/choices-choices/ (scroll down)

To elaborate on this: everything and the kitchen sink is data driven. You'll be able to add a lot.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Triskelli posted:

The idea of an evil cthonic cult called "The Settlers of C'Tan" has me hooting like a loon. Mysterious reports of sheep being transformed to stone in strange hexagonal rituals.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

nvining posted:

Karakurikoku: A Distant land of closed borders, ruled by a 14 year old emperor. Advanced technologically but everything suffers on the durability stakes because most things are wooden. Has a problem with colonists killing themselves a lot over accidentally offending each other.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stanko-Prussian posted:

The Settlers of C'Tan

Dammit, that is just too perfect, but I don't think the Lovecraft Estate would let it fly.

Also, no blog update this tuesday? :(

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Triskelli posted:

Dammit, that is just too perfect, but I don't think the Lovecraft Estate would let it fly.

Actually it'd be the Games Workshop lawyers you'd have to wrestle with on that.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Running a little late today, but ask and you shall receive:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/16/the-inner-secrets-of-clockwork-empires/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

This may be the greatest blog entry I have ever read.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

a list of otherworldly entities (“Invisible Geometer”, “The Body”, “Cthonic T’orb”) and a brief description of the terrifying Mythos contained therein, most of which is best left to your imagination,

So I've had this idea floating around for months of an alien race which appears as weird, mishappen lumps of flesh with no apparent means of survival or movement which nevertheless do and can appear and disappear at will; which are all actually portions of one four-dimensional being intersecting our three-dimensional universe, with most of its body outside of what we perceive as space-time.

What I'm saying is if this 'body' winds up being that I'm going to try to figure out how to sue you for something that was never written down have a fangasm and get even more excited for this game.

nvining
May 30, 2011

President Ark posted:

So I've had this idea floating around for months of an alien race which appears as weird, mishappen lumps of flesh with no apparent means of survival or movement which nevertheless do and can appear and disappear at will; which are all actually portions of one four-dimensional being intersecting our three-dimensional universe, with most of its body outside of what we perceive as space-time.

What I'm saying is if this 'body' winds up being that I'm going to try to figure out how to sue you for something that was never written down have a fangasm and get even more excited for this game.

The townspeople were not sure what to do with the coffin. After all, it was awfully strange. Men of science and ambition eyed it greedily in stockpile D - what mysteries did it hold? What was the fluid that coursed through its pipes, and what propelled it so? They studied the coffin carefully, measuring its every side and the circumference of every tube. They tried to open it, but it would not open; a sample of the fluid from the pipes was extracted, and subjected to the most rigorous scientific processes possible without actually tasting it. Learned men bombarded it with rays from the Roentgen Device, and they subjected it to Voltaic Energies. A man from the Royal Society came by, tut-tutted at it, and was never heard from again. Urchins, selling matches on street corners, compared notes - it was true, was it not, that people were buying more matches than usual?

Surely, it was a sign of the times.

After much deliberation, a report was released. Elsie Moonwidget, widely considered to be the best expert in Shiveringhope on all things found in mines, and with a grand invention to her name - and patented, besides! - signed off on it. It reached three main conclusions:

1. The coffin was creepy as hell.
2. Everybody in the town was having the same strange, recurring dream: thin, elongated fingers with sharp, pointy nails gently reaching into their head, removing their eyes from their sockets, and extracting the flesh of their brain.
3. If the fluids from the coffin were to be connected to any factory in Shiveringhope, via a Number Four Pipe, and fed into the main processing line, the productivity of said factory would improve by a factor of ten.

Many people wished to leave the coffin alone. Put it back in the mines, they said, and bury it deep. Let's forget it we ever found it. The Empire Times, though, had other plans. In a damning and blistering editorial - plus, of course, the usual contributions to the Letters to the Editor by Norton, whoever he was - the Times lambasted the administration of hope, the Prime Minister, and - for good measure - the Whigs. Surely, they said, a few weird dreams and the fact that the coffin was provably disturbing was no reason to stop anyone from harnessing its powers? Surely, if a few people suddenly went mad and found themselves vivisecting the cat, these little tragedies would be well outweighed by the glorious new economic boom that would be unleashed by the mysterious powers of the Fluid? Was it not the Prime Minister's responsibility - yea, and the responsibility of all men of industry and ambition - to demand, fervently, that the coffin be employed?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This game is getting better all the time. :allears:

Hell, i dont even care if its a game anymore at the end, all this inane rambling would be worth my money. Seriously nvining, whatevers in the water where you work is wonderful stuff.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

the urban pine-moistened shrike, which has learned to push humans into machinery and then feast on the blasted chunks of meat contained therein

I'm surprised this hasn't been a real biological adaptation. The idea of animals using environmental traps on us humans is hilarious. It's not like you can arrest the bird.

(You'd probably just shoot them, but let's not be sensible!)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

The townspeople were not sure what to do with the coffin. After all, it was awfully strange. Men of science and ambition eyed it greedily in stockpile D - what mysteries did it hold? What was the fluid that coursed through its pipes, and what propelled it so? They studied the coffin carefully, measuring its every side and the circumference of every tube. They tried to open it, but it would not open; a sample of the fluid from the pipes was extracted, and subjected to the most rigorous scientific processes possible without actually tasting it. Learned men bombarded it with rays from the Roentgen Device, and they subjected it to Voltaic Energies. A man from the Royal Society came by, tut-tutted at it, and was never heard from again. Urchins, selling matches on street corners, compared notes - it was true, was it not, that people were buying more matches than usual?

Surely, it was a sign of the times.

After much deliberation, a report was released. Elsie Moonwidget, widely considered to be the best expert in Shiveringhope on all things found in mines, and with a grand invention to her name - and patented, besides! - signed off on it. It reached three main conclusions:

1. The coffin was creepy as hell.
2. Everybody in the town was having the same strange, recurring dream: thin, elongated fingers with sharp, pointy nails gently reaching into their head, removing their eyes from their sockets, and extracting the flesh of their brain.
3. If the fluids from the coffin were to be connected to any factory in Shiveringhope, via a Number Four Pipe, and fed into the main processing line, the productivity of said factory would improve by a factor of ten.

Many people wished to leave the coffin alone. Put it back in the mines, they said, and bury it deep. Let's forget it we ever found it. The Empire Times, though, had other plans. In a damning and blistering editorial - plus, of course, the usual contributions to the Letters to the Editor by Norton, whoever he was - the Times lambasted the administration of hope, the Prime Minister, and - for good measure - the Whigs. Surely, they said, a few weird dreams and the fact that the coffin was provably disturbing was no reason to stop anyone from harnessing its powers? Surely, if a few people suddenly went mad and found themselves vivisecting the cat, these little tragedies would be well outweighed by the glorious new economic boom that would be unleashed by the mysterious powers of the Fluid? Was it not the Prime Minister's responsibility - yea, and the responsibility of all men of industry and ambition - to demand, fervently, that the coffin be employed?

:gonk: You're putting some sort of horrid clockwork Slenderman into the game?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Yay for pipes!

Can you build orphanariums or the like?
If so can you pipe orphans to the meat processing factory?
If not you should be able to.

It is a Modest Proposal.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

:swoon:

For the love of god, get this into a roughly playable state and let us at it!

Actually don't, as I really need to pass this semester.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

tag: if-you-liked-it-you-should-have-built-a-wooden-platform-under-it

:wtc:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Geokinesis posted:

Can you build orphanariums or the like?
If so can you pipe orphans to the meat processing factory?
If not you should be able to.

Why would you waste a valuable labor source with unique talents, such as small fingers and disposability, on meat?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Why would you waste a valuable labor source with unique talents, such as small fingers and disposability, on meat?

Surplus of orphans?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What if they run out of fingers then they can't contribute to the Economy.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Phobophilia posted:

What if they run out of fingers then they can't contribute to the Economy.

You lack efficiency! Fingerless Urchins could still fill the role of Saddle Mules to carry posts and products from one Place to Another. It is only Urchins that are Lacking in both Fingers and Feet that have no use other than Urchin-Loaf.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

I think it is agreed by all parties, that this prodigious number of children in the arms, or on the backs, or at the heels of their mothers, and frequently of their fathers, is in the present deplorable state of the kingdom, a very great additional grievance; and therefore whoever could find out a fair, cheap and easy method of making these children sound and useful members of the common-wealth, would deserve so well of the publick, as to have his statue set up for a preserver of the nation.

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.

Infant's flesh will be in season throughout the year, but more plentiful in March, and a little before and after; for we are told by a grave author, an eminent French physician, that fish being a prolifick dyet, there are more children born in Roman Catholick countries about nine months after Lent, the markets will be more glutted than usual, because the number of Popish infants, is at least three to one in this kingdom, and therefore it will have one other collateral advantage, by lessening the number of Papists among us.

This food would likewise bring great custom to taverns, where the vintners will certainly be so prudent as to procure the best receipts for dressing it to perfection; and consequently have their houses frequented by all the fine gentlemen, who justly value themselves upon their knowledge in good eating; and a skilful cook, who understands how to oblige his guests, will contrive to make it as expensive as they please.

Those who are more thrifty (as I must confess the times require) may flea the carcass; the skin of which, artificially dressed, will make admirable gloves for ladies, and summer boots for fine gentlemen.

Many other advantages might be enumerated. For instance, the addition of some thousand carcasses in our exportation of barrel'd beef: the propagation of swine's flesh, and improvement in the art of making good bacon, so much wanted among us by the great destruction of pigs, too frequent at our tables; which are no way comparable in taste or magnificence to a well grown, fat yearly child, which roasted whole will make a considerable figure at a Lord Mayor's feast, or any other publick entertainment. But this, and many others, I omit, being studious of brevity.

nvining
May 30, 2011

... man, here I thought the office conversations were getting morbid.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
While the nod to fine satire is lovely, please don't encourage turning children into edible foodstuffs. There's only so far you can go before you breach creepy goon territory.

It looks from afar like the "killable kids" Skyrim mod argument all over again on the horizon.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mighty Dicktron posted:

While the nod to fine satire is lovely, please don't encourage turning children into edible foodstuffs. There's only so far you can go before you breach creepy goon territory.

It looks from afar like the "killable kids" Skyrim mod argument all over again on the horizon.

In fact, why not make that an achievement? If someone tries to hook up an orphanage or other residence to a meat factory, up pops the text "A Modest Proposal", followed by "Really? Wow...". Nothing actually occurs, or maybe you get struck with instant civil uprisings. I mean, Progress is Progress, but some things just go too far.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh hey it's everything I want in a video game: the video game.

That coffin story is interesting, though, because everything we've seen so far has shown the elder things to be enemies of rationalism, whereas here we have something that actually improves factories. My guess is ten years down the line the factory is sealed shut and everyone inside is a skeleton going about the same toil with no independent thoughts, something like that. Maybe it's an elder thing version of satire.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Triskelli posted:

In fact, why not make that an achievement? If someone tries to hook up an orphanage or other residence to a meat factory, up pops the text "A Modest Proposal", followed by "Really? Wow...". Nothing actually occurs, or maybe you get struck with instant civil uprisings. I mean, Progress is Progress, but some things just go too far.

That sounds like the right way to go, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something
Will there be worthless nobles who regularly demand exquisite pairs of pants created entirely from pure gold and coconut sized diamonds as tribute?

And if so, can we please use them as fuel for the factories?

• Locked thread