Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

wattershed posted:

I think I'm trying to justify a way I could put this to use instead of selling a brand new piece of Blichmann hardware and being able to spend the profits on making another 10 gallons of beer.

How much? My ghetto rig could use an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
So I finally got around to reading this article that was posted a few months ago

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

When they say to double or triple the amount of hops that you would've used, I assume that means that instead of doing something like this for an IPA with 2 hops:

60 min - 1 oz Hop A
30 min - 1 oz Hop B
15 min - 1 oz Hop B

You would just do something like

60 min - Hop A (or just don't do a bittering hop)
20 min - 1 oz Hop B
15 min - 1 oz Hop B
10 min - 1 oz Hop B
5 min - 1 oz Hop B

Would that be about right or should you be doing even more?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I recently brewed a Summer IPA recipe and it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks and well, I'm getting a funky taste from it.

It was a partial mash recipe, and towards the end of the mash (last 10 minutes) I let the mash temperature get too hot, like 180*, which I then took it off the burner and got it back down into the 150* range. I followed the rest of the recipe and it went well.

Now that I'm trying the beer, I'm getting a weird aftertaste from it. It tastes good at first, but it finishes bitter with an almost glue-ey taste is how I can describe it. Is this something that could have been caused by my screw-up during the mash, or would this be hop-related since it's a bitter thing? I can get the specifics of what I used in the recipe if that would help, I would just have to go dig it up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Korwen posted:

I recently brewed a Summer IPA recipe and it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks and well, I'm getting a funky taste from it.

From what you describe, it could definitely be tannins extracted from the grain during the mash. I could see glue-like being a word for their effect. Think what your tongue feels like when you drink strong tea or a red wine; that's caused by tannins.

They can get into your beer by letting the grain get too hot, which sounds like what happened to you. They could fade with age, but seeing as it's an IPA it's probably better drunk fresh regardless.

edit: less spergy link

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 17, 2012

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

wattershed posted:

I guess that's what's confused me when I read excerpts on forums about people using it to bottle straight from their bottling bucket without previously carbonating the beer. If I connected the beer gun to my CO2, purged the bottle with the gas, then (maybe by pushing the uncarbonated beer through the gun with an autosiphon?) filled the bottles, do you (or anyone else reading this) have a guess as to how long it would take for the CO2 to work its way into the bottled beer?

While some gas could be absorbed into solution at the right temperatures, you won't have enough pressure to carbonate the beer to an appreciable level with the method you describe. Even if you could conceivably get the CO2 that would be present in the head space of the bottle to fully absorb into the beer, it wouldn't be enough to make a noticeable difference. You would also be creating a vacuum in the head space of the bottle, since the gas that was present there would now be in solution. Aside from the possibility that this would destroy the bottle if you managed to get this to happen, there would not be any way for the gas to stay in solution without dropping the temperature well below freezing (I think. I don't want to do the math on it right now).

Carbonation in beer works by forcing CO2 into solution as a system of pressure and temperature. As more CO2 is added to the vessel (by the CO2 tank attached to the keg, or the yeast producing CO2 in a sealed bottle), pressure and temperature work together to allow the liquid to absorb the gas. If pressure is released, the gas will escape solution, making the beer go flat, as it were. The beer gun (along with racking cane\stopper setups, and counter pressure bottle fillers) works by creating a seal at the mouth of the bottle, and equalizing the pressure in the bottle to that in the keg. Since the beer in the keg has absorbed CO2, and that CO2 is being kept in solution (in part) by the pressure being exerted by the CO2 in the head space of the keg (and the CO2 tank attached), when you equalize the pressure between the bottle and keg, the gas in solution will not have a chance to be released.

Make sense?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Would that be about right or should you be doing even more?

You're on the right track, but you need to do the math to make sure you get the IBUs you want. For an example if you were doing a standard pale ale with an OG of 1.050 and 40 IBUs your hop schedule would look like this:

1 oz cascade 5.5%AA @ 60 min - 21.6 IBU
1 oz cascade 5.5%AA @ 15 min - 10.7 IBU
1 oz centennial 10%AA @ 5 min - 10 IBU

So about half of your IBUs come from bittering, and the other half from the flavor and aroma additions. You've only got 2 oz of hops to give you your flavor and aroma.

Now if you were to do that same beer with only late hop additions it would look like:

1 oz cascade 5.5%AA @ 20 min - 13.1 IBU
2 oz centennial 10%AA @ 5 min - 20 IBU

So now you've got the same amount of IBUs, but you doubled the amount of hops for your flavor and aroma. This will give you much more flavor and aroma while giving you a smoother bitterness since you added the hops later in the boil.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

You're on the right track, but you need to do the math to make sure you get the IBUs you want. For an example if you were doing a standard pale ale with an OG of 1.050 and 40 IBUs your hop schedule would look like this:

1 oz cascade 5.5%AA @ 60 min - 21.6 IBU
1 oz centennial 10%AA @ 5 min - 10 IBU

So about half of your IBUs come from bittering, and the other half from the flavor and aroma additions. You've only got 2 oz of hops to give you your flavor and aroma.

Now if you were to do that same beer with only late hop additions it would look like:

1 oz cascade 5.5%AA @ 20 min - 13.1 IBU
2 oz centennial 10%AA @ 5 min - 20 IBU

So now you've got the same amount of IBUs, but you doubled the amount of hops for your flavor and aroma. This will give you much more flavor and aroma while giving you a smoother bitterness since you added the hops later in the boil.

Makes sense. That article also says it might be a good idea to add a bittering hop at the beginning of the boil if you're making something higher than 50 IBU, which I plan on doing, so that the hop flavor isn't overpowering. Problem is I don't want it much higher than 60 IBU, so I'd be using something with such a low alpha acid that I'm wondering if it'd even be worth it. What say ye?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

I've done beers like this with 12 oz of hops all late additions and they've been great. It's a very intense flavor and aroma, but I've never had it be too much. The real reason I'd consider a 60 minute addition would be to save money, all those hops can add up pretty quick.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I've done beers like this with 12 oz of hops all late additions and they've been great. It's a very intense flavor and aroma, but I've never had it be too much. The real reason I'd consider a 60 minute addition would be to save money, all those hops can add up pretty quick.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. I don't think this one should be too expensive. I'm planning on using a hop with a higher alpha acid content, so I probably won't have more than 5 oz or so.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I forget who ran it last year, but is there interest in doing a Goon Holiday Homebrew Secret Santa (GHHSS) this year?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Midorka posted:

The problem is that we used near 3/4 cup of corn sugar into 2 cups of water boiled for the carbonation. I'm worried that the beer will be overcarbonated or even gush since the amount was for 5 gallons.

At around 3 weeks bottled my pumpkin batch started to get borderline overcarbonated (I lost about a gallon to solids too) so I refridgerated them immediately and that seemed to solve the problem / freeze carbonation where it was.

Hopefully you have enough room to do that (if it becomes an issue). Just make sure you try a bottle every week or so.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

j3rkstore posted:

I forget who ran it last year, but is there interest in doing a Goon Holiday Homebrew Secret Santa (GHHSS) this year?
I'm in again! But I can't remember either.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I'm in again! But I can't remember either.

I would do this as well. Is it chill to personally ship libations via UPS or USPS?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

hellfaucet posted:

Is it chill to personally ship libations via UPS or USPS?

Used to be UPS/FedEx only but this year Congress said it was okay to ship USPS. :woop:

Be wary of possible significant pressure changes and package accordingly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Meh, we never shipped hooch in the past, just "yeast samples."

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Used to be UPS/FedEx only but this year Congress said it was okay to ship USPS. :woop:

Ughghghh I spent $50 sending beers UPS from San Diego to the east coast 2 months ago

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do we have a citation on that? Because https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm still says no alcohol.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

fullroundaction posted:

At around 3 weeks bottled my pumpkin batch started to get borderline overcarbonated (I lost about a gallon to solids too) so I refridgerated them immediately and that seemed to solve the problem / freeze carbonation where it was.

Hopefully you have enough room to do that (if it becomes an issue). Just make sure you try a bottle every week or so.

Thanks for the advice. I thought I read something about refrigeration inhibiting carbonation.

I have a question for the thread, how long did it take you to feel comfortable formulating your own recipes? And as a second part, is there a guide somewhere that goes over the flavor of various malts and expected alcohol percentage per pound?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

Thanks for the advice. I thought I read something about refrigeration inhibiting carbonation.

I have a question for the thread, how long did it take you to feel comfortable formulating your own recipes? And as a second part, is there a guide somewhere that goes over the flavor of various malts and expected alcohol percentage per pound?

How to Brew has some incomplete tables on grains and hops and whatnot and a crash course on recipes if you can dig the engineer tone its written in and the old edition is free.

Otherwise next steps are Designing Great Beers (boring as grass growing) or Radical Brewing.

Comfort with actually making recipes is a personal thing. I only did a couple kits before doing my own steeped grain extract batches based on How to Brew. If you understand the basics of the underlying bits of brewing you will be hard pressed to make something bad. If you don't, its still pretty hard to make something undrinkable.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

zedprime posted:

Designing Great Beers (boring as grass growing)

True, but it's also filled with great information about what goes into recipes. It would be like reading The Joy of Cooking.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Bad Munki posted:

Do we have a citation on that? Because https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm still says no alcohol.

Hmm, false alarm I guess. Looks like it made it through one side (Senate) but I can't find anything after that. Here's an article about the bill's Senate passage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/us/politics/senate-passes-bill-to-overhaul-postal-service.html?_r=0

Here's the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1789/text

Specifically:

quote:

SEC. 405. SHIPPING OF WINE, BEER, AND DISTILLED SPIRITS.
(a) Mailability-

(1) NONMAILABLE ARTICLES- Section 1716(f) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking ‘mails’ and inserting ‘mails, except to the extent that the mailing is allowable under section 3001(p) of title 39’.

(2) APPLICATION OF LAWS- Section 1161 of title 18, United States Code, is amended, by inserting ‘, and, with respect to the mailing of distilled spirits, wine, or malt beverages (as those terms are defined in section 117 of the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (27 U.S.C. 211)), is in conformity with section 3001(p) of title 39’ after ‘Register’.

(b) Regulations- Section 3001 of title 39, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘(p)(1) In this subsection, the terms ‘distilled spirits’, ‘wine’, and ‘malt beverage’ have the same meanings as in section 117 of the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (27 U.S.C. 211).

‘(2) Distilled spirits, wine, or malt beverages shall be considered mailable if mailed--

‘(A) in accordance with the laws and regulations of--

‘(i) the State, territory, or district of the United States where the sender or duly authorized agent initiates the mailing; and

‘(ii) the State, territory, or district of the United States where the addressee or duly authorized agent takes delivery; and

‘(B) to an addressee who is at least 21 years of age--

‘(i) who provides a signature and presents a valid, government-issued photo identification upon delivery; or

‘(ii) the duly authorized agent of whom--

‘(I) is at least 21 years of age; and

‘(II) provides a signature and presents a valid, government-issued photo identification upon delivery.

‘(3) The Postal Service shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to carry out this subsection.’.

(c) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the earlier of--

(1) the date on which the Postal Service issues regulations under section 3001(p) of title 39, United States Code, as amended by this section; and

(2) 120 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

But I can't find anything about a House version so I guess it's either still on the table or died waiting? :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

True, but it's also filled with great information about what goes into recipes. It would be like reading The Joy of Cooking.

It is the book I hate to love to recommend. I've only leafed through friends copies and can't stand it but understand why it is an awesome next step for someone going beyond the starter books.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Splizwarf posted:

Hmm, false alarm I guess. Looks like it made it through one side (Senate) but I can't find anything after that. Here's an article about the bill's Senate passage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/us/politics/senate-passes-bill-to-overhaul-postal-service.html?_r=0

Here's the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1789/text

Specifically:

But I can't find anything about a House version so I guess it's either still on the table or died waiting? :(

I don't think it even matters, since you probably don't want to tell them its alcohol anyways, because then you'd have to:

1) deal with verifying the receiver isn't underage
2) worry about if you're shipping to a state that doesn't allow alcohol shipments to residents ( PA, TX, MA, UT, MD, DE, AR, OK, MT, ME, SD, KY, AK, HI, WV or MS)

So bottom line even if USPS allowed alcohol, you might still be lying about it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"live yeast cultures"

fragile, keep cool frosty

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

zedprime posted:

It is the book I hate to love to recommend. I've only leafed through friends copies and can't stand it but understand why it is an awesome next step for someone going beyond the starter books.

It's certainly not something I would read cover to cover. I use it to get an idea of what goes well in a recipe for a given style. It doesn't even have recipes in it, per se; it is really an analysis of what people have used in their recipes, where those recipes have done well in competitions.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Just got home from work expecting a kit only to discover my fiance did me a favor and froze my liquid yeast packet in the freezer. :smith:

e: so I've let this Wyeast packet thaw out now... is it salvageable? It was definitely slushy and chunks of solid frozen yeast had developed in the corners. I want to say it was in the freezer maybe an hour and a half? I was planning on making a starter for this batch anyhow.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 17, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Imasalmon posted:

Make sense?

Remarkably, and completely, yes! Thank you very much!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Jacobey000 posted:

How much? My ghetto rig could use an upgrade.

It seems like you can grab them for around $70-75 before shipping; would you do $70 shipped, assuming you're in the US? We can take this to PMs if you have them...I'm on vacation right now and don't want to explore the Awful Android app's ability to do PMs so a response might take a few days outside of the thread.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
For those of you that keg, how do you carb that little extra beer that you end up bottling? I have been using those carb tabs for their convenience, but they are pretty expensive. Any other ideas?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I just put it in another keg and drink that one first. Partly-full kegs carb up fast.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Does anyone have tips for brewing a nice cider? I'd like to get one going in time for Thanksgiving this year. Sweet Mead yeast was recommended a few pages back, but I'm unclear about sourcing the juice: can I just buy jugs of fresh cider from the grocery? Does it have to be boiled like hops do when making wort for beer?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

hellfaucet posted:

Just got home from work expecting a kit only to discover my fiance did me a favor and froze my liquid yeast packet in the freezer. :smith:

e: so I've let this Wyeast packet thaw out now... is it salvageable? It was definitely slushy and chunks of solid frozen yeast had developed in the corners. I want to say it was in the freezer maybe an hour and a half? I was planning on making a starter for this batch anyhow.

No, the relationship is beyond salvaging. She straight hosed with your beer. Call the wedding off.

The yeast might pull through, though. Make a starter and see what happens.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Does anyone have tips for brewing a nice cider? I'd like to get one going in time for Thanksgiving this year. Sweet Mead yeast was recommended a few pages back, but I'm unclear about sourcing the juice: can I just buy jugs of fresh cider from the grocery? Does it have to be boiled like hops do when making wort for beer?

I have just used whatever juice I can find that tastes good and is not terribly expensive. I literally use juice I get from Costco many times.

Not-from-concentrate juice is quite nice, but regular old Tree Top works fine. Look at the ingredients. If it says ascorbic acid, that's fine, it's just vitamin C. Anything sorbate is to be avoided if possible, as it will interfere with yeast reproduction.

Sanitize a fermenter. No need to boil the juice, pour it in straight from the bottle. If it's already been pasteurized, no further treatment is needed, but if you are using farmstand juice, you may want to sulfite it. You can add sugar if you want, up to about 1 pound of sugar per gallon of juice (1 added pound per gallon will make a VERY strong cider). Pour in your Sweet Mead yeast, button up the fermenter with an airlock, and leave it to ferment.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

No, the relationship is beyond salvaging. She straight hosed with your beer. Call the wedding off.

The yeast might pull through, though. Make a starter and see what happens.

Wow. :dukedog: I'll smack it and see what happens tonight.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jo3sh posted:

I have just used whatever juice I can find that tastes good and is not terribly expensive. I literally use juice I get from Costco many times.

Not-from-concentrate juice is quite nice, but regular old Tree Top works fine. Look at the ingredients. If it says ascorbic acid, that's fine, it's just vitamin C. Anything sorbate is to be avoided if possible, as it will interfere with yeast reproduction.

Sanitize a fermenter. No need to boil the juice, pour it in straight from the bottle. If it's already been pasteurized, no further treatment is needed, but if you are using farmstand juice, you may want to sulfite it. You can add sugar if you want, up to about 1 pound of sugar per gallon of juice (1 added pound per gallon will make a VERY strong cider). Pour in your Sweet Mead yeast, button up the fermenter with an airlock, and leave it to ferment.

How long does it take for a cidar to be ready to serve from start of fermentation? Having a Thanksgiving party, not sure if it is too late if I order the yeast and throw it in Sunday/Monday.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

zerox147o posted:

How long does it take for a cidar to be ready to serve from start of fermentation? Having a Thanksgiving party, not sure if it is too late if I order the yeast and throw it in Sunday/Monday.

If you start now, it will be ready, but a bit young. I generally do 4 weeks in the fermenter, then package. With T-day five weeks away, you can just squeak it in, I think. Definitely keep the added sugar down to a few ounces per gallon if you're going to do that at all.

It will be drinkable for Thanksgiving, but will likely continue to improve for months.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A serving tip especially for young cider: if you or friends don't like it that dry, serve it in glasses rather than bottles and make some simple syrup to mix in to taste.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Use juice or concentrate instead of simple syrup, and it's even better.

Recently, I had a cider come out strong (~11%) and dry, so I just kegged it at a higher carbonation level and bought a variety of juices to mix it with. Cran-apple was my favorite.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Cider will benefit from yeast nutrient just like mead. About 1 g Fermaid-K or whatever nutrient you can find and 1 g DAP per gallon, once or twice during primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Killer robot posted:

A serving tip especially for young cider: if you or friends don't like it that dry, serve it in glasses rather than bottles and make some simple syrup to mix in to taste.

Also, cider mixed with spiced beer tastes like apple pie.

Pie that makes you fall down.