Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Some of these are legal work documents that I'd rather did not leave the actual computer (not because I think someone is going to look at them, but I would technically be violating some confidentiality clauses), so DropBox isn't much of a possibility.

I'll look into SyncToy and SyncBack. Does anyone know if any of those are available for commercial use?

It would be my advice to not complicate it. A combination of an xcopy batch script and a configured scheduled task to run that batch script should be all that you will need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Some of these are legal work documents that I'd rather did not leave the actual computer (not because I think someone is going to look at them, but I would technically be violating some confidentiality clauses), so DropBox isn't much of a possibility.

I'll look into SyncToy and SyncBack. Does anyone know if any of those are available for commercial use?

Synctoy: a windows download, so commercial use is okay
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Syncback: $35 for commercial use.
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

madmaan posted:

It would be my advice to not complicate it. A combination of an xcopy batch script and a configured scheduled task to run that batch script should be all that you will need.

A good idea: but hasn't xcopy been superceeded by robocopy?

spog fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 19, 2012

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

madmaan posted:

Well, the whole point is to keep daily backups. If I'm reading/writing 2gb (or more, not really sure) worth of data from one mechanical drive to another every day, aren't I just inviting a hard drive failure?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

spog posted:

Synctoy: a windows download, so commercial use is okay
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Syncback: $35 for commercial use.
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

A good idea: but hasn't xcopy been superceeded by robocopy?

Touche! I will admit that wrote one thing while having something else in my head all together. Great catch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well, the whole point is to keep daily backups. If I'm reading/writing 2gb (or more, not really sure) worth of data from one mechanical drive to another every day, aren't I just inviting a hard drive failure?

How about you make a virtual hard disk and keep the files in it? After making the virtual disk, you can then setup a windows backup the normal way.

I haven't done it myself, but I don't see why you couldn't if you have at least windows 7.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872416.aspx

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
Basically the issue I am having right now is that Windows refuses to reinstall, I have the drivers for my SATA controller on the USB pen drive with the installer and when I tell Windows where they are it finds them, looks for a bit then says nothing found. This despite the system actually being able to see all my drives (When I hit browse to find the drivers I can see all my hard drives listed). Its basically this issue here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14831-63-windows-driver-install and I had tried every suggestion from every website I can find to no avail. Windows installed FINE the first time I installed all this hardware, I have no idea what could be causing this besides a hosed up download. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

2GB a day is nothing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sheepdemon posted:

Basically the issue I am having right now is that Windows refuses to reinstall, I have the drivers for my SATA controller on the USB pen drive with the installer and when I tell Windows where they are it finds them, looks for a bit then says nothing found. This despite the system actually being able to see all my drives (When I hit browse to find the drivers I can see all my hard drives listed). Its basically this issue here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14831-63-windows-driver-install and I had tried every suggestion from every website I can find to no avail. Windows installed FINE the first time I installed all this hardware, I have no idea what could be causing this besides a hosed up download. Any ideas would be welcome.

I don't know if you're having the problem I had, but I found out Windows 7's installer cannot see USB 3.0 controllers (not really a surprise, but the failure state makes no sense until you realize it). Before you ask, it doesn't matter if the stick itself is USB 1.1; it's a problem on the controller end.

Find a USB 2.0 port and plug the install stick into that, then try again.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 19, 2012

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Robocopy has a million options for what it does and does not copy. I think /xo is what you want, it will only copy newer things and leave old files alone. http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html is a complete list with some comments.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Is there something other than MS Project or Visio that can create the organizational charts? This is for a class assignment, so I can't really plunk down a grand-plus on a new software suite.

I've tried to do it with MS Word, but the amount of detail I need to include causes the boxes and text to shrink to microscopic size, and it doesn't seem able to enlarge past the dimensions of an 8"x10" sheet of paper. (Of course, if someone knows a way to get around this, that would also be greatly appreciated.)

EDIT: In case it isn't completely obvious, my level of computer savvy is slightly above "Dotty Grandma", but below "The Nine-Year-Old Next Door".

budgieinspector fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 20, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

budgieinspector posted:

Is there something other than MS Project or Visio that can create the organizational charts? This is for a class assignment, so I can't really plunk down a grand-plus on a new software suite.

I've tried to do it with MS Word, but the amount of detail I need to include causes the boxes and text to shrink to microscopic size, and it doesn't seem able to enlarge past the dimensions of an 8"x10" sheet of paper. (Of course, if someone knows a way to get around this, that would also be greatly appreciated.)

EDIT: In case it isn't completely obvious, my level of computer savvy is slightly above "Dotty Grandma", but below "The Nine-Year-Old Next Door".

Powerpoint has a template for org charts.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My SSD died and while I wait for it to arrive, I want to do a clean install of Windows 7 and SP1 and setup all my programs on it so I can make an image of it using Acronis, then image it onto the new SSD when it gets here.

What would be the best way to do this? Make a new partition on my storage drive, install Windows 7 on there and do whatever I need to do? Or is there some other, more convenient way like using a VM? (I have no experience using these)

and is there any way to list changes I've made to Windows settings? I've had this install since Windows 7 came out so I doubt I remember all the stuff I've changed

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 20, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you're in college, you could probably get Visio or Project for super cheap. Otherwise get the 60-day trial of Visio here:

http://visio.microsoft.com/en-us/TryBuy/TryVisio2010forFree/Pages/Try_Visio_2010_for_Free.aspx

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lately I've been getting quite significant and visible tearing on videos in VLC regardless of format. I haven't updated codecs or drivers recently. Anyone know what might be causing this?

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

GreenNight posted:

If you're in college, you could probably get Visio or Project for super cheap. Otherwise get the 60-day trial of Visio here:

http://visio.microsoft.com/en-us/TryBuy/TryVisio2010forFree/Pages/Try_Visio_2010_for_Free.aspx

Thanks! Doing the trial, which should last me through the rest of the class. If I need it in the future, though, is there a legit site in particular that sells it at a student discount? Not seeing an offer in the Office store or Amazon. Google turned up some sites I've never heard of, but that doesn't mean an awful lot, as until this semester I hadn't been a student in a long, long time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

budgieinspector posted:

Thanks! Doing the trial, which should last me through the rest of the class. If I need it in the future, though, is there a legit site in particular that sells it at a student discount? Not seeing an offer in the Office store or Amazon. Google turned up some sites I've never heard of, but that doesn't mean an awful lot, as until this semester I hadn't been a student in a long, long time.

Oh, go to the school book store. I know here (Madison), the University book store has Office 2010 for like $30.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Lately I've been getting quite significant and visible tearing on videos in VLC regardless of format. I haven't updated codecs or drivers recently. Anyone know what might be causing this?

This poo poo is a nightmare, it took me hours to get 24fps films to play smoothly. It could probably be so many things that it's kind of hard to point to a specific without knowing what filters (renderer, decoder, etc.) what encodes, what screen refresh rate and probably more.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

This poo poo is a nightmare, it took me hours to get 24fps films to play smoothly. It could probably be so many things that it's kind of hard to point to a specific without knowing what filters (renderer, decoder, etc.) what encodes, what screen refresh rate and probably more.

Running CCCP on a HD5750 at 1280x720@60Hz through a Sony BRAVIA KDL-32BX300. It has just started happening out of the blue, like I said I haven't changed anything recently. It happens on old DivX3 AVIs, XviDs, ancient MPEGs, MP4s, MKVs, everything I throw at it, both windowed and fullscreen.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Running CCCP on a HD5750 at 1280x720@60Hz through a Sony BRAVIA KDL-32BX300. It has just started happening out of the blue, like I said I haven't changed anything recently. It happens on old DivX3 AVIs, XviDs, ancient MPEGs, MP4s, MKVs, everything I throw at it, both windowed and fullscreen.

CCCP :negative:

Does VLC have a Direct3D Fullscreen setting? I've not used it in a long time. Honestly can't imagine any reason for not using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and then grabbing madvr to render

When you say anything do you mean 'anything on the entire computer'? (video drivers etc.) or 'anything to do with VLC'

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 21, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sheepdemon posted:

Dammit, thats the one that keeps erroring :(

Maybe your download is corrupted, which edition are you trying to get? Microsoft's got hashes on technet, but I can't find it anywhere but on the page to actually download stuff behind the paywall. I'll post the sha1 hash they list and you can compare to what you've got.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is that not the go-to package anymore? It's worked fine for me until now.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Does VLC have a Direct3D Fullscreen setting? I've not used it in a long time. Honestly can't imagine any reason for not using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and then grabbing madvr to render

I'll give that a try then. I've stayed away from it because VLC has always served my purposes and it fucks with my master volume levels for some reason.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

When you say anything do you mean 'anything on the entire computer'? (video drivers etc.) or 'anything to do with VLC'

Both.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Having codec packs all over the place just causes problems, especially when you can use MPCHC which comes with all the decoders you need.

If VLC has an option to choose a different renderer, madvr specifically, you might not need to change to MPCHC. You can just change to that and use madvr's built in decoders.

Since I haven't used VLC for such a long time I don't know what renderer it uses by default, but if its one of the EVR variations that MPCHC uses then no matter what I tried I couldn't get anything to play without tearing in that, madvr was the only thing that worked for me.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What is the easiest way to get applications to output their sound to a specific audio device?

For example, I would like Chrome to output sound to my HDMI audio device. However, it will only output to whatever is selected as the Default device in Windows and I don't want to set HDMI as default because I use a different audio device 99% of the time (my computer speakers, which I do not want to output the audio to if I am watching a video on Netflix in Chrome and instead want that audio output to the TV the HDMI is hooked up to).

I know one workaround is to switch the default, start the application, then switch it back and it will stick that time while it is running, but instead is there any free software that would let me force a program to output to a certain audio device?

edit: http://www.indievolume.com/ this is basically what I want, except free because I am a cheapass

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

GreenNight posted:

This is a bit of a licensing question. I have Office 2010 installed on my laptop however when I installed it I had the option to choose which applications to install and I didn't need Visio so I left it out.

If I was to use that link to download and install it would it automatically detect the license key and work? Or would I need to find that key, or even further would that key no longer work because I've already used it but on different products.

As I recall when I installed it the first time there was a massive iso which you ran and chose what programmes you wanted and only had to enter the licence key once for all of them.

\/\/\/\/ Looking where you said showed me it was a Visio viewer I recalled not the programme itself. Thanks for the help.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 21, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Visio and Project aren't included in the Office install. You can confirm this by going to Add/Remove Programs and customizing your Office install. It will tell you if you can add Project or Visio.

At work, I manage our Office licenses and Project & Visio are completely separate apps with separate keys.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Having codec packs all over the place just causes problems, especially when you can use MPCHC which comes with all the decoders you need.

If VLC has an option to choose a different renderer, madvr specifically, you might not need to change to MPCHC. You can just change to that and use madvr's built in decoders.

Since I haven't used VLC for such a long time I don't know what renderer it uses by default, but if its one of the EVR variations that MPCHC uses then no matter what I tried I couldn't get anything to play without tearing in that, madvr was the only thing that worked for me.

VLC isn't compatible apparently, it doesn't show up under renderers at least, but it seems to have done the trick in MPCHC. Thanks for your help.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep VLC from re-associating with my files constantly.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I don't know if you're having the problem I had, but I found out Windows 7's installer cannot see USB 3.0 controllers (not really a surprise, but the failure state makes no sense until you realize it). Before you ask, it doesn't matter if the stick itself is USB 1.1; it's a problem on the controller end.

Find a USB 2.0 port and plug the install stick into that, then try again.

This was the issue, thanks a million.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

TwoKnives posted:

http://www.ispyconnect.com/

I wanted to use a webcam for security and found this program. I never got around to using it though. The site looks professional at least.

Soo from trying to find the thief earlier, realized it was every monday night so I ran it again with candy left out (no thief can resist candy). Look what it caught:

Now to send to a manager who has had items stolen off her desk at night too :owned:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Meta Ridley posted:

Soo from trying to find the thief earlier, realized it was every monday night so I ran it again with candy left out (no thief can resist candy). Look what it caught:

Now to send to a manager who has had items stolen off her desk at night too :owned:

I hope you get the fucker fired. I'm sure if I'd try this in the Netherlands though, HR will do nothing, say I breached someone's privacy and I'd get in trouble instead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Grawl posted:

I hope you get the fucker fired. I'm sure if I'd try this in the Netherlands though, HR will do nothing, say I breached someone's privacy and I'd get in trouble instead.

People who will steal like this will also be more likely to do worse when nobody is looking.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you launch your software? I don't like typing so a mouse-oriented interface suits me best. So far I've been using folder toolbars in taskbar, like this:

But that approach has one problem: it's often slow as hell. Ideally the list would open when I click it, but often it takes forever to display and during the wait explorer.exe is completely unresponsive. I have no idea what causes that, probably it's just Microsoft's crappy implementation from 1995 which they haven't bothered to fix yet.

I know Windows 8 kind of solves the problem with the new start screen, but what to do with Windows 7 when you have loads of apps&games? :smith:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hit start button, start typing name of program.

That's all it takes in Win 7, give it a try.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ihmemies posted:

How do you launch your software? I don't like typing so a mouse-oriented interface suits me best. So far I've been using folder toolbars in taskbar, like this:

But that approach has one problem: it's often slow as hell. Ideally the list would open when I click it, but often it takes forever to display and during the wait explorer.exe is completely unresponsive. I have no idea what causes that, probably it's just Microsoft's crappy implementation from 1995 which they haven't bothered to fix yet.

I know Windows 8 kind of solves the problem with the new start screen, but what to do with Windows 7 when you have loads of apps&games? :smith:

I'm not understanding why you aren't using the plain old start menu for this. It's more responsive to put folders in the Start Menu then on the taskbar toolbar thing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm not understanding why you aren't using the plain old start menu for this. It's more responsive to put folders in the Start Menu then on the taskbar toolbar thing.

Because the taskbar toolbar thing is 2 clicks to launch something. I don't know what's even happening with my start menu, it's probably a long long long unmanageable messy list, just like my bookmarks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ihmemies posted:

Because the taskbar toolbar thing is 2 clicks to launch something. I don't know what's even happening with my start menu, it's probably a long long long unmanageable messy list, just like my bookmarks.

You can rearrange it you know, and have it be 3 clicks to something but without the lag you mentioned.

The biggest problem you seem to be having is that latency, organizing your Start Menu and using that should work to avoid it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

The biggest problem you seem to be having is that latency, organizing your Start Menu and using that should work to avoid it.

I suppose that is probably the best way if there aren't any cool apps which would solve the problem without me having to put any :effort: into it.

--------------

Anyways, I counted I have collected over 3000 bookmarks (most probably are dead links nowdays) in 12 years or so. Firefox has terrible bookmark mangagement features especially if you want to categorize the bookmarks into folders:

In FF16 they made that poo poo transparent so it's even more awful than before! I need to try Evernote or something like that and see if they put any thought into bookmarks. It would only take a month to reorganize if I went through 100 bookmarks a day :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ihmemies posted:

I suppose that is probably the best way if there aren't any cool apps which would solve the problem without me having to put any :effort: into it.

--------------

Anyways, I counted I have collected over 3000 bookmarks (most probably are dead links nowdays) in 12 years or so. Firefox has terrible bookmark mangagement features especially if you want to categorize the bookmarks into folders:

In FF16 they made that poo poo transparent so it's even more awful than before! I need to try Evernote or something like that and see if they put any thought into bookmarks. It would only take a month to reorganize if I went through 100 bookmarks a day :v:

You might be better served using that time to seek a therapist for your compulsive hoarding problem.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Check out launchy. It's like Alfred/Spotlight on Mac.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got a better multidisplay manager, DisplayFusion. It has among other stuff jumplists for other monitors' taskbars too, so I got my most used apps pinned now. I also rearranged the start menu and got rid of the laggy folder toolbars. Vertical taskbars seem to make more sense on widescreen monitors since they take up less room that way.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You might be better served using that time to seek a therapist for your compulsive hoarding problem.

And you would be well advised not to make unfunny inappropriate comments like that in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

And you would be well advised not to make unfunny inappropriate comments like that in future.

Except that my Mohammedan brother is right, there's no reason for any one person to have that many bookmarks, organized or otherwise.