Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
That trailer whas pretty good, and gave a nice background on the Chief for people not in the know. So is it same to assume the thing scanning Chief in that trailer is the Didact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

I really hope the game is not as predictable as this trailer is making it look, but if the extent of 'exploring' the Master Chief's humanity is the Didact asking him "How can you defend humanity blah blah" then it might not be so bad. And to be honest, I always secretly hoped the MC wasn't just another generic white guy but I guess that's a requirement.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Azubah posted:

I was all about the books until I found out Karin Traviss is writing them now.

It's not like she's exclusively writing them from now on. I think she's just doing a few novels, with the possibility for other people to still do novels. I mean, Greg Bear's still doing his Forerunner prequel trilogy thing and I wanna say there's a few other Halo books on the horizon that'll have other authors.

Plus, I'm about halway through Glasslands and, honestly, it's not that bad. Maybe my expectations were just really low because of her reputation, but I haven't read too much that made me thing "ugh, this is terrible".

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
the first scene was retarded looking and it made me think the rest was a joke when I saw it live. Watching it again I liked it a little bit more, but it just didn't feel that important. The halo 3 believe campaign still makes me cum a little bit. This isn't doing it for me.

As for FUD, I can't get past that black lady in the 2nd scene of episode 1 to continue on.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

She's a dumb high schooler yelling at rich kids pretending to be soldiers and I think she does a good job. In the 2nd episode she pulls rank to steal Lasky's pudding.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Holy poo poo episode 3 of FUD owned. It's kind of cheesy but gently caress me if I don't want to watch movie quality CGI of Elites kill some poo poo. :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kater posted:

In the 2nd episode she pulls rank to steal Lasky's pudding.

This is the only part about her that i've liked.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

NTT posted:

Holy poo poo episode 3 of FUD owned. It's kind of cheesy but gently caress me if I don't want to watch movie quality CGI of Elites kill some poo poo. :allears:

Maybe I should be watching this.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I really like the bit in FUD 3 where the Elite slices the statue in half with the plasma sword. It has a nice air of disdain to it.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Has anything else about the role of The Covenant been revealed aside from what the OP mentions? Was The Arbiter confirmed? I think he's easily the most interesting character this series has but whatever.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Has anything else about the role of The Covenant been revealed aside from what the OP mentions? Was The Arbiter confirmed? I think he's easily the most interesting character this series has but whatever.

IIRC, the covenant in the game are either like a pirate faction who don't give a gently caress or just a group of regualar covenant who never got the "war's over" message.

Doubt the Arbiter in the game, but hey, who knows, maybe we'll be surprised. But as far as I've heard, the only real "returning" characters are the Chief and Cortana.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sigmachiev posted:

If the recent Halo books are considered canon the arbiter is tied up on the elite capital with rebellions and other internal affairs and probably won't be making anything but a cameo appearance

Pudding Tame
Jan 14, 2008

Azubah posted:

I was all about the books until I found out Karin Traviss is writing them now.

I didn't find Glasslands to be that bad, it had it's problems, mostly the jarring difference with how she writes Nylund's characters and her hard-on to make Halsey suffer. But mostly everything that involves her characters is actually pretty decent.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Pudding Tame posted:

I didn't find Glasslands to be that bad, it had it's problems, mostly the jarring difference with how she writes Nylund's characters and her hard-on to make Halsey suffer. But mostly everything that involves her characters is actually pretty decent.

Yeah, the differences in characterization are a little distressing. Not just with Halsey but even people like Mendez or that really old general lady. But yeah, story-wise and with the original characters she introduced, it's not all that bad.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

NTT posted:

Yeah I just watched it. I thought the first two episodes were a little plodding but this one was excellent

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shnakepup posted:

Yeah, the differences in characterization are a little distressing. Not just with Halsey but even people like Mendez or that really old general lady. But yeah, story-wise and with the original characters she introduced, it's not all that bad.

Yeah, her insane rage against Halsey and its associated weirdness (like Mendez turning against her even though he happily tazed and beat the children on their first morning in the UNSC in Fall of Reach) was terrible and Jul's chapters were insanely boring (although apparently he's going to be leading the rogue faction of the Covenant in Halo 4 according to a video 343 posted the other day so I'm kind of interested to see how he goes from getting his rear end kicked and thrown in the brig like an idiot bitch to leading a fleet of renegade aliens) but other than that I really enjoyed Glasslands.

One thing that bothered me, though, was when Lucy spoke again despite Nylund saying that she never did in Ghosts of Onyx. Like, I don't remember the exact words but I do remember when Lucy spoke her last words after that battle Nylund said something along the lines of "and she never spoke again for as long as she lived" but apparently Traviss decided to undo that. Other than that, though, I really liked the book. I need to pick up the sequel, see if maybe 343 or whoever told her "hey knock it off with your weird vendetta against a fictional character."

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, her insane rage against Halsey and its associated weirdness (like Mendez turning against her even though he happily tazed and beat the children on their first morning in the UNSC in Fall of Reach) was terrible and Jul's chapters were insanely boring (although apparently he's going to be leading the rogue faction of the Covenant in Halo 4 according to a video 343 posted the other day so I'm kind of interested to see how he goes from getting his rear end kicked and thrown in the brig like an idiot bitch to leading a fleet of renegade aliens) but other than that I really enjoyed Glasslands.

Apparently Glasslands is the beginning of a trilogy by Traviss, so she'll probably explain more stuff in the other books.

quote:

One thing that bothered me, though, was when Lucy spoke again despite Nylund saying that she never did in Ghosts of Onyx. Like, I don't remember the exact words but I do remember when Lucy spoke her last words after that battle Nylund said something along the lines of "and she never spoke again for as long as she lived" but apparently Traviss decided to undo that. Other than that, though, I really liked the book. I need to pick up the sequel, see if maybe 343 or whoever told her "hey knock it off with your weird vendetta against a fictional character."

Hmm. I don't recall Nylund specifically saying she never speaks ever again...then again, maybe I'm just misremembering or maybe I missed that part. Seeing her speak again didn't strike me as contradictory or anything. Then again, I just got to that part so I don't know how it plays out in the rest of the story.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

NTT posted:

Yeah, now that poo poo started happening, the quality ramped way up. Great moment at the end when bodies started falling from the sky.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shnakepup posted:

Apparently Glasslands is the beginning of a trilogy by Traviss, so she'll probably explain more stuff in the other books.

Hmm. I don't recall Nylund specifically saying she never speaks ever again...then again, maybe I'm just misremembering or maybe I missed that part. Seeing her speak again didn't strike me as contradictory or anything. Then again, I just got to that part so I don't know how it plays out in the rest of the story.

I just looked it up on my Kindle and the exact words, on the last page of the prologue, are:

"Lucy's words asking if they were alive would be her last. 'Posttraumatic vocal disarticulation,' the experts would eventually declare. And although recertified for duty, she would remain silent--either unable, or unwilling, to speak the rest of her life."

It's not a huge deal, I'm a little disappointed because I thought it was a pretty interesting facet of her character (although it looks like things won't change too much since she still barely can) but not too bad, it's just one of those weird little characterization things she changed for no real reason.

Like I said, I still liked the book overall, I just had a lot of little nitpicks like this about it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

I need to pick up the sequel, see if maybe 343 or whoever told her "hey knock it off with your weird vendetta against a fictional character."

Nope, Halsey's entire purpose in The Thursday war is to cry and be miserable in some elevator shaft in the Infinity. She doesn't even have any speaking parts. The rest of Nylund's characters aren't even brought up.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

You've got it a little off. Nylund just says she never spoke again after that battle, but he was writing in the tense of the right now - which was previous to when she did speak again. So when she did speak out of duress in defending the engineer from Halsey, it wasn't contradictory, it was just another moment of "gently caress, Halsey is such a god drat rear end in a top hat that the mute chick even spoke up about it."

You have to keep in mind that even though the books are written in the past tense, they aren't being voiced from a period in which everything has been settled. Saying she doesn't speak from the rest of her life is not being written from a future point after she has died, so things can still happen that change the circumstances.

Anyway, the hate-on for Halsey is probably due to how most everybody who read the books noticed that the UNSC and Halsey in particular are huge dicks despite being the protagonists. Mendez just joins in because he can't stand the guilt of it anymore and he's pissed off that she doesn't seem to be feeling any.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Peven Stan posted:

If the recent Halo books are considered canon

Yeah, Halo 4 has a lot more tie-in to the books than previous stuff did, the books officially bridge the gap between Halo 3 & 4 and introduce characters (in particular Jul) that will be in the game.

Thursday war is better than Glasslands, but that's primarily because there's less "HALSEY = SPACE HITLER" and not because Traviss got any better at writing books.

handbanana125 posted:

Nope, Halsey's entire purpose in The Thursday war is to cry and be miserable in some elevator shaft in the Infinity. She doesn't even have any speaking parts. The rest of Nylund's characters aren't even brought up.

She's also there so someone can be a dick to her, can't forget that!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 20, 2012

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

FishBulb posted:

This is my favorite post ever right here.
:hfive:

rrraaagggeee
Dec 9, 2009
Does anyone know if you'll be able to view films with friends like you could in Halo 3? I loved that feature.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

rrraaagggeee posted:

Does anyone know if you'll be able to view films with friends like you could in Halo 3? I loved that feature.

Nope. No spectator mode either so this game basically sucks.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Finally got around to watching FUD 3 (owned owned owned) and Scanned. I didn't think Scanned was that bad. Considering how bad media based on video games generally is I think people's expectations are waaaaaaaaaay to loving high.

Anyways, I played the poo poo out of CE and Reach but never got around to playing 2 or 3. I have 3 sitting on a shelf unopened, just never started it. Worth sinking some time into or just wiki it up? I'm pretty clueless as to what happened story wise after CE.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Booties posted:

Nope. No spectator mode either so this game basically sucks.

It's in Halo Reach too, why would they cut it from Halo 4?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Drew and Alexis from Giant Bomb are playing Halo for 24 hours for charity.

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Anyways, I played the poo poo out of CE and Reach but never got around to playing 2 or 3. I have 3 sitting on a shelf unopened, just never started it. Worth sinking some time into or just wiki it up? I'm pretty clueless as to what happened story wise after CE.

In terms of gameplay you're probably not missing out on a ton, the physics and AI are a bit different, and you can dual wield some weapons, but overall it'll be very familiar to Reach. However I'd recommend playing it at least for the theatrics, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, etc. It's a very polished and satisfying campaign.

BUT if you care at all about the story, you should really play Halo 2 first, since it introduced a ton of elements that won't make a lot of sense in the third one. Halo 3 truly is a sequel and you could just read a synopsis of Halo 2, but I think you'd be missing out on an equally good campaign.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

How does Halo 2 run on a 360? Is it worth busting out the classic Xbox and using a big fat Duke controller? I haven't played that game in so long.

Spaz Medicine fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 20, 2012

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Spaz Medicine posted:

How does Halo 2 run on a 360? Is it worth busting out the classic Xbox and using a big fat Duke controller? I haven't played that game in so long.
I remember it being a little buggy due to the emulation, but nothing game breaking. It is more of a personal preference thing really.

Oh and weird glitches like what the guy below is saying.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Spaz Medicine posted:

It's workable, but not great. There's this weird graphical glitch on some of the later levels where the silhouette of a scene will basically freeze on your screen without freezing the game. It's hard to explain, but imagine having to play through the entire level with a black static image of an Elite partially blocking your view.

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNryvYhhXg But apparently you can avoid this by not auto-starting the game.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 20, 2012

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Considering the war is over, I was really surprised to see covenant in the Halo 4 reveal trailer. I assumed that the covenant were looking for something on the planet, but it does make sense that they are a rogue/pirate faction.

I'd be interested to see how the covenant has fractured following the resolution of Halo 3.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have never been able to decide if I like the Halo 2 campaign or not.

On the one hand, the scope of the story is enormous and the dual protagonists allow them to show both sides of the conflict in ways that the other games can't. I'm a huge fan of those moments of recognition when the Chief finally starts exploring High Charity and intrudes on all the places where the Arbiter's cutscenes took place. The levels are full of cyclopean architecture with great use of long views to preview the journeys you'll be making. I also find the final Flood level legitimately frightening in a way that the other games never pull off.

On the other hand, the basic weapon mechanics are worst of the series, the at the time brand-new physics system was still quirky in places, many of the big set-piece battles are frustratingly unfair (especially when those goddamn snipers are involved), and the crash-stop ending still smarts even when I can just pop in Halo 3 and pick up where it left off within minutes. The game is a grand vision assembled from parts that just aren't quite up to the challenge of supporting it.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

gooby on rails posted:

I have never been able to decide if I like the Halo 2 campaign or not.

On the one hand, the scope of the story is enormous and the dual protagonists allow them to show both sides of the conflict in ways that the other games can't. I'm a huge fan of those moments of recognition when the Chief finally starts exploring High Charity and intrudes on all the places where the Arbiter's cutscenes took place. The levels are full of cyclopean architecture with great use of long views to preview the journeys you'll be making. I also find the final Flood level legitimately frightening in a way that the other games never pull off.

On the other hand, the basic weapon mechanics are worst of the series, the at the time brand-new physics system was still quirky in places, many of the big set-piece battles are frustratingly unfair (especially when those goddamn snipers are involved), and the crash-stop ending still smarts even when I can just pop in Halo 3 and pick up where it left off within minutes. The game is a grand vision assembled from parts that just aren't quite up to the challenge of supporting it.
The biggest flaw of Halo 2 is easily just how much they had to cut from the original plan in terms of scope of the campaign and the amends they had to make to still create what we got.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only thing I really remember about Halo 2 was being able to run past all of the enemies pretty much for most of the levels and beat it without killing anything. I also remember some E3 footage that did not make it into the retail release.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I remember two things: the monstrous pre-release hype ( of Halo 2 ), and how I was ultimately disappointed by the campaign. The scope was greater, but it missed something that made the first one so special. My expectations were definitely too high, but sour taste is sour taste no matter how you approach it. I didn't have Xbox Live back then, either, so I missed the multiplayer-craze completely.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Dukka posted:

The biggest flaw of Halo 2 is easily just how much they had to cut from the original plan in terms of scope of the campaign and the amends they had to make to still create what we got.

Agreed. Halo 2 is still a great story; I'm playing through it now (and can attest to the texture ghosting bugs talked about earlier), and enjoying it way more than I did at release. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of rough spots - some of the textures seem like they're just blobs of color. "This is dirt. This is wood. This is metal."

Then you have these massive, moving pieces of geometry, set pieces, and skyboxes in some of the Forerunner sections that still look amazing.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw that Halo commercial on TV during the games earlier. I'm disappointed that they came out and said that yeah, Master Chief is just some skinny white kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Saw that Halo commercial on TV during the games earlier. I'm disappointed that they came out and said that yeah, Master Chief is just some skinny white kid.

Sure, Master Chief was a skinny white kid at one point, but he turned into a 6'8" behemoth before the armor even goes on. The leaked cinematics for 4 really illustrate how much bigger he is than even the Spartan IIIs.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 21, 2012

• Locked thread