Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You could translate Giant Allege...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

aldantefax posted:

If you can get me Amazon JP links for the full current edition of Meikyuu Kingdom series + the cards, I will probably put an Amazon.jp order in some time in the next month or two!

Heads up, for some bizarre reason Amazon.jp won't ship Meikyuu outside of Japan. And it's the only place I've been able to find it.

But here they are:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%86%92%E...50844217&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%86%92%E.../ref=pd_sim_t_1

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

aldantefax posted:

You could translate Giant Allege...

That is absolutely never going to happen.
No reason for me to waste my money on more Japanese game books.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

mikeycp posted:

That is absolutely never going to happen.
No reason for me to waste my money on more Japanese game books.
Well, Giant Allege is available as a PDF for 945 yen, though it is one of the games we're eyeing for release through SLP. I just need to find time to sit down and read it to decide if it's something we really want.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

jadarx posted:

Heads up, for some bizarre reason Amazon.jp won't ship Meikyuu outside of Japan. And it's the only place I've been able to find it.

But here they are:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%86%92%E...50844217&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%86%92%E.../ref=pd_sim_t_1

If I remember correctly, some publishers don't like Amazon or other retailers to send their books out of the country.

Though I remember seeing the「国外配送の制限: この商品は、日本国外にお届けすることができません。」on the Meikyuu entry on Amazon, it's not there anymore.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ewen Cluney posted:

Well, Giant Allege is available as a PDF for 945 yen, though it is one of the games we're eyeing for release through SLP. I just need to find time to sit down and read it to decide if it's something we really want.

If it's actually good it'll just get grabbed by someone else after I've put hours into it, so, from how I see it, it's not even worth it to start this (or any new project, really).

e: Not the mention the $160 or so I threw at all the Meikyuu poo poo.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 21, 2012

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I originally didn't mean to see it as a poaching thing (though in hindsight it does look like that now), I think it's more that I'd like to see Meikyuu Kingdom translated a little faster than just a straight hobby. Having two vying translation projects for it doesn't seem to make sense, and I'd like to see what the options are for a commercial release of the system rather than just a translation that was done on the side as a hobby. Right now, there haven't been any real commitments made, since I wrote the email late last night.

If you'd like, we can get together and talk about it a little more in depth with Mikan and BitchtitsMcGee some time soon outside of the thread and in IRC; then we can iron something out that lets everybody walk away happy! I honestly didn't mean to poo poo all over the efforts you had put in thus far!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ok. Sorry if I over reacted too (I'm hungry and I have a very short fuse when I'm hungry). I've tried getting in contact with BitchtitsMcGee, and have not been successful thus far (for reasons mostly due to never being online at the same time), and that's why I'm doing it on my own, but I was definitely planning on trying to release it commercially if/when I actually finish it, especially after all the time and money I've already put into what I've done so far.

e: If other things happen I would like to try to be involved somehow so my efforts haven't been completely to waste.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, well, get some food and get in IRC since I think we're all in #MeikyuuKingdom right now and we'll talk turkey.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
Does Something Awful have a "Ask stupid questions about Japanese translation"? Because I'm trying to read my copy of Arianrhod and I'm just hitting walls. I can tell that verbs are being dropped or truncated, but I just don't have the experience to figure out which.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

You could probably post it here or in the language thread and get your question answered.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

mikeycp posted:

You could probably post it here or in the language thread and get your question answered.

I'll head to the language thread. Thanks.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!
One thing that is kind of a touchy subject that I've thought about for years but never actually saw a real need to look into until recently, but the above reminded me: What do you do when you want to get the license to translate something that someone on the web has already begun loving around with?

I'm of a few minds on it. Here's my take:

1) If you get the license officially, but don't want to use the existing partial work, do it anyway and contact that partial translator as a nicety telling them what you're doing, and ensure that their work won't be comprimised/stolen. Then, and this is the main thing: DON'T loving STEAL IT.

2) If you get the license officially, and think you may want to use the existing partial work, contact the translator and see if something can be worked out. My suggestion is to offer to buy up their translation with a straight cash offer, or perhaps profit-share, depending on how complete the work is.

Ultimately, these are issues in the manga/anime world that are out there, but they worked around it in part by assuming the mantle of an "official company doing real business BEEP BEEP BOOP", so there was no question when the official translation came out, as it was not based at all in the fan translation.

It's a larger grey area when we're all "just a bunch of normal folks doing our thing". But on the other hand, if folks just contact each other and talk (especially over Skype or G+, like at least voice-to-voice), it's so easy to work these issues out.

With Tenra Bansho, when I was officially working on the project early on, a dude contacted me and gave me the link to his private server which had some abilities and basics translated. I ended up not using any of it in any of its forms (knowing then that everything from stat to character type names would be totally re-localized). However, having seen it, it did clear up some issues that he found early on (some potholes that I could avoid, by getting the imperfect copy), so I paid him for the use of his materials (which I ended up not using other than as a personal reference).

It's also really hard when you don't want to announce too far ahead the properties that you have secured or are currently working on (the Luke Crane model, which is the opposite of the fuckup I made with TBZ: Announcing the project when you get the rights to the game, rather than waiting to announce the project until it's Mostly Done: I'm a huge advocate of the latter these days): Ewen and I almost stepped on each others' toes recently in regards to that, but thanks to the power of humans talking to each other, there were ultimately no problems. Talking is good, not talking is bad.

Hopefully you guys can work it out!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I know this is the JTRPG thread, but Humbug and I think it was Ewen were chatting about something at the Saturday meetup about a TRPG that someone was kickstarting that has the goal of teaching Korean as part of the gameplay. It's called Wizards Magicians and it seems like a really cool thing to check out. And as I make sure the URL is correct, it looks like one of the stretch goals is for a version that uses Japanese instead of Hangul-- contributed by Andy Kitowski.

Well, it looks like this is the appropriate thread after all.

Dear You
Nov 1, 2011
I'm a bit confused. How does d66 even work? Rolling 2d6 as percentiles doesn't give a full range of results, so I'm assuming advancement and the like are handled very differently from stuff like BRP yeah?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Dear You posted:

I'm a bit confused. How does d66 even work? Rolling 2d6 as percentiles doesn't give a full range of results, so I'm assuming advancement and the like are handled very differently from stuff like BRP yeah?

The lower number goes first. You only have 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34, 35, 36, 44, 45, 46, 55, 56, 66.

Here is more detail I wrote about that.
http://meikyu-kingdom-tl.blogspot.com/2012/09/about-d66.html

In Meikyuu news, I will make an update soonish about the current state of the project and my role in its translation.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

mikeycp posted:

The lower number goes first. You only have 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34, 35, 36, 44, 45, 46, 55, 56, 66.

Here is more detail I wrote about that.
http://meikyu-kingdom-tl.blogspot.com/2012/09/about-d66.html

21 results, with doubles half as likely as any other result; I'm interested in seeing how this works in play.

The only time I can recall seeing the term "d66" before now is in the random characteristic tables of, ahem, Maid RPG, but there they used the full 36 results (i.e. no reordering the dice rolls).

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
As far as I can tell there's "Adventure Planning Service Style D66" and there's "Everyone Else Style D66." FEAR routinely includes D66 tables for character background stuff, but they usually say "D66 ROC," for "Roll Or Choice."

Normally D66 is a tens-and-ones roll on 2d6 that gives you one of 36 results (a mechanic I personally first saw in Toon), and it's pretty much only used for getting a result from a table of possible things rather than for the actual numbers per se (though IIRC Witch Quest had something like that in its many weird rules).

When I'm wearing my game designer hat I find it a really handy mechanic to use, to the point where I hardly seem to be able to make a game without at least a couple D66 tables.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

21 results, with doubles half as likely as any other result; I'm interested in seeing how this works in play.

The only time I can recall seeing the term "d66" before now is in the random characteristic tables of, ahem, Maid RPG, but there they used the full 36 results (i.e. no reordering the dice rolls).

Tenra Bansho uses it in places too, but the same way as Maid, pick which die is "tens" then roll. It's just for for the occasional random table for names and the like (the Emotion Matrix table for first impressions of new characters is the most prominent), but some of the tables have result ranges (like, 1-2 through 2-1 might result in the same thing).

Magical Burst also uses it for random tables (same way, just like percentile), but no surprise, as the creator of MB and translator of Maid is TV's Ewen Cluney.

e: who just posted that DAMMIT

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there an OCR program available for Japanese? It seems like it would be handy to identify common game-specific special phrases and find out where they occur in rules text and so forth to grease the wheel on translation.

In other news, SpaceDrake did get back to me and said that they have too much on their plate to consider doing a localization or TL effort. The next step is to reestablish communication lines with APS for Meikyuu Kingdom so that we can see what they can provide to help speed up the process.

For the time being, mikeycp and BitchtitsMcGee appear to be actually working together on this, Rasamune has sort of vanished, and Mikan and I are sort of on the sidelines trying to figure out other logistics.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Yeah, at the rate I'm going Magical Burst is going to be competitive with Maid RPG for total number of tables.

aldantefax posted:

Is there an OCR program available for Japanese? It seems like it would be handy to identify common game-specific special phrases and find out where they occur in rules text and so forth to grease the wheel on translation.
There was a Japanese OCR program called I think KanjiOCR that had a free trial period (and I used it a good amount to speed up Maid RPG and Golden Sky Stories translation), but the company that made it disappeared and it apparently doesn't work with anything newer than Windows XP. There are some other free OCR programs that allegedly support Japanese, but I was never able to get any of them to work. I've heard that ReadIris (or a special Asian version of it?) can handle Asian text, including Japanese, but I never got around to investing in it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ewen Cluney posted:

As far as I can tell there's "Adventure Planning Service Style D66" and there's "Everyone Else Style D66." FEAR routinely includes D66 tables for character background stuff, but they usually say "D66 ROC," for "Roll Or Choice."

Normally D66 is a tens-and-ones roll on 2d6 that gives you one of 36 results (a mechanic I personally first saw in Toon), and it's pretty much only used for getting a result from a table of possible things rather than for the actual numbers per se (though IIRC Witch Quest had something like that in its many weird rules).

I did not know this. This is good to know and I will make note of this.

aldantefax posted:

For the time being, mikeycp and BitchtitsMcGee appear to be actually working together on this...

Yup! And now that baseball is in the off-season I will have more time to do things, like translation. and sleep. and being generally productive.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Can someone help me out? I recently discovered that the Japanese Rules Cyclopedia is a thing and it's awesome. Does anyone know of a place online where I could order it? Amazon.jp only has the Players and Dungeonmasters books available.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Can someone help me out? I recently discovered that the Japanese Rules Cyclopedia is a thing and it's awesome. Does anyone know of a place online where I could order it? Amazon.jp only has the Players and Dungeonmasters books available.

Amazon.jp sounds like a pretty good option for ordering it; it sounds as though you found two of the volumes, and Monsters seems to be right here.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Winter Stormer posted:

Amazon.jp sounds like a pretty good option for ordering it; it sounds as though you found two of the volumes, and Monsters seems to be right here.

Keep in mind that you'd have to buy it from third party sellers, so make sure that they ship overseas.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Attention mikeycp and Rasamune:

If you're still following this thread, I'd appreciate some sort of status report, since I seem to be the only one working on Meikyuu Kingdom anymore.

As for everyone else, uh... sorry about that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Now is as good a time as any to mention that Andy and company have a podcast about this weird little subset of the hobby, at http://j-rpg.com/

If you're reading this thread you probably backed TBZ, and already got that email. But hey, what the hell.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I may have to start listening to that. I just got an update in my RSS reader that they talked about Doubutsu Shogi in their second podcast, which is awesome. "Let's Catch the Lion" is also available on Android phones as well, but the AI is pretty easy to defeat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bitchtits McGee posted:

If you're still following this thread, I'd appreciate some sort of status report, since I seem to be the only one working on Meikyuu Kingdom anymore.

Dammit, you two better not be holding up me getting my hands on a translated Meikyuu Kingdom. :argh:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I just posted up "The Broken Window," an original Golden Sky Stories replay. If you're interested in the game, it gives a good preview of a typical game session, with plenty of footnotes explaining the rules and such as they come up. You can also see a sample of Clay Gardner's fantastic layout work.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Yeah uh if anybody wants to help with this please let btmg or me know because the aforementioned have some circumstances I hear

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

aldantefax posted:

Yeah uh if anybody wants to help with this please let btmg or me know because the aforementioned have some circumstances I hear

Is this still open? I don't know what help I could give, but I want Meikyuu so I could try to lend a hand.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is this still open? I don't know what help I could give, but I want Meikyuu so I could try to lend a hand.

I joined up, but I really don't have enough time to devote to the project, so probably yes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If you guys can post a list of things you need done, I'd be glad to stick it in the OP. I may also be able to help out, depending on what you need.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
OK, Ryuutama question for anyone who's looked it over: What the hell is the point of the spell Attack of the Killer Object?

AotKO, an intermediate-level spell, if I'm reading it right, causes an object in the battle to hit the target for 1d6 damage, and attacks the caster instead on a critical failure. Shooting Star, a basic-level spell, does SPR damage, which is probably more than that, doesn't require any objects, and has no penalty on a critical failure. Am I just misinterpreting the spell's functionality?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

OK, Ryuutama question for anyone who's looked it over: What the hell is the point of the spell Attack of the Killer Object?

AotKO, an intermediate-level spell, if I'm reading it right, causes an object in the battle to hit the target for 1d6 damage, and attacks the caster instead on a critical failure. Shooting Star, a basic-level spell, does SPR damage, which is probably more than that, doesn't require any objects, and has no penalty on a critical failure. Am I just misinterpreting the spell's functionality?

Not sure where you're getting the fumble backlash on the caster from-- I don't see it anywhere in AotKO's description or the general magic rules.

The advantage of AotKO seems to be that it effectively has no difficulty roll-- most offensive magic has to beat the target's Condition to take effect, whereas AotKO explicitly says only a Fumbled roll will whiff. I haven't played enough to tell whether or not that's worth the tradeoff in opportunity cost (needing to be on a battlefield with objects left, and using that object to fuel a spell instead of other use), but at least it doesn't cost any more MP than Shooting Star.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Oh hey, I didn't see that rule about needing to beat the target's Condition until just now.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!
Oh heya, also note that I created this community-of-sorts on G+ to post questions for TBZ, Ryuutama, Shinobigami, etc (the latter two are a little ambitious, since they're not actually really out yet publicly; but still):

https://plus.google.com/communities/101797616958213033418

But yeah, bypassing Condition? That's Huuuuuuuge. Especially if you're fighting monsters with a high condition; it can become a classic D&D whiff-fest. 1d6 is decent damage for near-guaranteed, but you can only use it a number of times equal to the number of things on the battlefield (unless you have a Red Dragon GM with that item that doubles the amount of objects).

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

To those who backed the TBZ Kickstarter: The final, complete PDFs are up for backers, and the game is going to hit DTRPG in a few weeks! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

TurninTrix posted:

To those who backed the TBZ Kickstarter: The final, complete PDFs are up for backers, and the game is going to hit DTRPG in a few weeks! :dance:

The PDF is actually now up on the webstore , drivethrurpg.com, and indiepressrevolution.com.

Preorders of the physical game (the softcover/slipcase version, and the hardcover/limited edition version, including PDF version) are now on the webstore as well.

Hopefully these books will get here soon!

• Locked thread