Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:cripes: I hope that wasnt a mandate because dc editorial decided that Alan Scott should now be gay. I dont even know what to say about Death God Solomon Grundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Wait, so there are two people with the last name Scott working on the Alan Scott book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

Here's Alan Scott, from the cover of Earth 2 issue 5, pulling off the rarely seen male boobs-n-butt pose; both butt cheeks and both pecs fully visible.

It's tradition.
http://hoosierinanity.blogspot.co.nz/2007/12/hal-jordans-butt-forever.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 17, 2012

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
David Aja

I love his minimalist art style. I've been collecting the new Hawkeye series and I'm just hooked on it :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
X-Force 116

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Huh. The cartoonish art really gives a weird vibe with the gore.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man, what did Doop do?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man, what did Doop do?

Nothing he just filmed

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

David Aja

I love his minimalist art style. I've been collecting the new Hawkeye series and I'm just hooked on it :allears:

You have to get Immortal Iron Fist now. Aja drew it, and Fraction co-wrote it with Ed Brubaker. It's super-kung fu action!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

NorgLyle posted:

Here's Alan Scott, from the cover of Earth 2 issue 5, pulling off the rarely seen male boobs-n-butt pose; both butt cheeks and both pecs fully visible.

I wonder if it is physically possible to twist one's torso like that. Just look at where the abdomen connects to the hip. I do not think this is meant to be exploitative though (or even a dig at his gayness). The artist wanted both of them to face the reader (turning your back to the audience is a general no-no in theatre), but he also wanted them charging at each other. An awkward compromise had to be made.

SynthOrange posted:

:cripes: I hope that wasnt a mandate because dc editorial decided that Alan Scott should now be gay. I dont even know what to say about Death God Solomon Grundy.
I'm guessing that Alan Scott and Gruny are now Earth 2's counterparts to Swamp Thing and the Rot.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 21, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

bobkatt013 posted:

X-Force 116

What the gently caress is going on there? Is that kind of gore common in mainstream comics now? :psyduck:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
X-Force (that version, at the least) ain't a mainstream comic, exactly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

What the gently caress is going on there? Is that kind of gore common in mainstream comics now? :psyduck:
No, but Deadpool's trying his danged best!

all new all different deadpool #1 coming soon to a shop near you

:allears: Tony Moore, you are a delight.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 21, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It would be absolutely glorious if all the Canadian super-soldier disasters attributed their messed up superpowers to SOCIALIZED HEALTH CARE.

Just because you know someone will eventually take it as fact and use it in a debate eventually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not common, but it's not rare either. Pick up a random assortment of Batman, crossover events, Punisher and Matt Fraction comics, and you're pretty likely to find some gore that your mom would have yelled at you for looking at as a kid.

E: Also, any comic starring teenage superheroes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Holy poo poo I never realized that Weapon X was a Canadian secret program. Man, Marvel Canadians are evil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarkCrawler posted:

Holy poo poo I never realized that Weapon X was a Canadian secret program. Man, Marvel Canadians are evil.

It's not limited to fictional universes.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rhyno posted:

It's not limited to fictional universes.

This is true, we just throw around "sorry" to throw you off. This is the guy we put in charge

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DarkCrawler posted:

That's because half the writers routinely forget and say it's an American program.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Emma Rios, but switching references on the same page is pretty glaring. (That her references are both anachronisms is only glaring to someone familiar with motorcycles.)

Captain Marvel #5

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I like Emma Rios, but switching references on the same page is pretty glaring. (That her references are both anachronisms is only glaring to someone familiar with motorcycles.)

Captain Marvel #5

In the bottom panel, the headlight on the motorcycle seems to have receded between the bars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

In the bottom panel, the headlight on the motorcycle seems to have receded between the bars.
It's a completely different motorcycle. The top one looks to be a BMW of varying vintages (the forks are appropriate for the year the story takes place in, but the tank, at best looks like one that wouldn't show up for another decade - and it's not even quite right for that). The bottom one appears to be a random mish-mash of parts of various bikes that she stuck together. It looks like she wanted to keep the BMW boxer layout, but couldn't find a good reference, so she stuck the front of a cylinder to something else and then made a pipe that goes to nowhere. Then there's another random pipe coming out of the front of the engine. It also has different forks and the fender lost one of its support bits. The rear suspension is also totally wrong for a BMW of that vintage.

For reference, here is a 1961 BMW R60/2 which the first bike mostly looks like (though the tank is a bit different):

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

It also isn't "now" considering the comic is over 10 years old. Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix is still a really interesting series though and well worth a read. It deals with superheroes in a corporate/reality TV light and since all of the characters (other than cameos by the Avengers and Prof X) are original creations the book has no problem showcasing just how dangerous being a superhero really could be.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Well, Sentry did rip Ares in half in spectacularly gory fashion at the end of dark reign.

Plus all the insanely gory stuff in DC that superboy-prime has done, Black Adam murdering Psycho-pirate by poking his eyes through his skull, etc.

Mainstream comics have been exceedingly gory for a long rear end time. I remember the first couple of comics I ever read, when I was in grade school on vacation, one of the Reign of Supermen comics was in there and Cyborg Superman randomly turned an innocent family into writhing masses of melted skeletons. Traumatic, but I guess they decided that wanton graphic destruction sells.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Also here's some hilarious (at least to me) content!

Daredevil dinosaur!!

Power Man!

stylistic cartoon X-Men!

aha

:sicknasty:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dacap posted:

This is true, we just throw around "sorry" to throw you off. This is the guy we put in charge

I don't know who this guy is, but he looks very fake.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't know who this guy is, but he looks very fake.

Stephen Harper, Prime Minister Of Canada. From what I've heard, he's real.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

And what do we say to the god of photoshop filters?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this? posted:

It also isn't "now" considering the comic is over 10 years old. Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix is still a really interesting series though and well worth a read. It deals with superheroes in a corporate/reality TV light and since all of the characters (other than cameos by the Avengers and Prof X) are original creations the book has no problem showcasing just how dangerous being a superhero really could be.

Yeah, there's something kinda funny about the New X-Force being so old that people don't even remember it. X-Force 116 is from like, 2001.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Stephen Harper, Prime Minister Of Canada. From what I've heard, he's real.

Only in the loosest sense of the term.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Trying to portray the re-animated corpse of Princess Diana as a super hero isn't exactly the way you wanna go if you want your comic to be mainstream.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really like the first panel of the Young Avengers Point One story

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The art in Seven Soldiers of Victory was pretty good:

(J. H. Williams)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Here's some cool Paolo Rivera headshots

Also bonus Baxter Building

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As cool as that looks he used the Baxter Building entry in the old OHOTMU for source material.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Also bonus Baxter Building

"Recording Studio"? Ben and Johnny got a side project goin' in case this whole super-heroin' biz doesn't pan out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

"Recording Studio"? Ben and Johnny got a side project goin' in case this whole super-heroin' biz doesn't pan out?

In Millar's run Johnny was going to start a band.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
How come Reed and Sue have different living quarters? Has Namor been on the job again? :pervert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rhyno posted:

As cool as that looks he used the Baxter Building entry in the old OHOTMU for source material.

Yeah here's the original.

Also more Kirby goodness

DarkCrawler posted:

How come Reed and Sue have different living quarters? Has Namor been on the job again? :pervert:

It's from the days from before they were married :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Alhazred posted:

The art in Seven Soldiers of Victory was pretty good:

(J. H. Williams)
The pencil work was competent, but the character designs are horrific. drat it Grant Morrison, stop designing costumes!