Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sinestro posted:

One of my friends from High School was named Diesel. He is now working on a degree in Automotive Engineering, appropriately enough.

It is things like this that make me want to believe in nominative determinism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

My mom used to work with an unfortunate woman named Latrina. Only one letter away from having a normal, non-bathroom-related name :sigh:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
As a cashier at a grocery store, I see a lot of customers who pay with WIC checks (for those unaware (I think this is a US only thing?), these are checks that are good for specific food items which poor mothers can get so they can feed their kids), which have the child's name printed across the top. People name their kids some stupid things.

The ones that stick out in my mind are Xsavior and My'sterious. Xsavior is obviously a horrible butchering of Xavier, but I have no idea what was going through My'sterious' parents' heads when they named her.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I had a friend named Kale Kramlack. His first name was a combination of his parents' names, no relation to the vegetable.

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

One of my aunts named all her daughters using the prefix "Maria de..."

So I have Luci, who's actually Maria de la Luz (Mary of the Light), and some others.

And Cuca. Her real name is Maria del Refugio.

There's also Tuti but I can't remember what the heck that's supposed to stand in for. But she's Maria de Something also.

Also I went to high school with a guy whose first name was James, middle name Tiberius Kirk.

e: His brother was Bruce, middle name Lee.

Captain Yesterday
Oct 8, 2007

Now it's time to do my people's native dance "DO THE HUSTLE"
Met a guy in college whose first name is Random. He told me he's named after a book character from a novel his parents like.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

L'na (pronounced L'apostrophina)

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Yesterday posted:

Met a guy in college whose first name is Random. He told me he's named after a book character from a novel his parents like.
Random Frequent Flyer Dent?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

At least he can go by Randy.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Philip Yacucci is an Attorney at Law in Okeechobee Florida.

Captain Yesterday
Oct 8, 2007

Now it's time to do my people's native dance "DO THE HUSTLE"

I posted:

Random Frequent Flyer Dent?

Maybe? He didn't specify so I just assumed that.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Chronicles of Amber also has a Random.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kulebri posted:

Hakim Hakim Hakim

i regret nothing

Chasie
Nov 17, 2004

Don't stop believin'

Closeup:

Wanted to meet her. Didn't.

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
Saw an ad that other day for a realtor named Punch Sockalingam

Niiice Hat
Jan 12, 2012
Unetheis (yoo-NEE-thee-is)
Eureka
Katterina
Tyranisha

And my personal favourite from intermediate school, David Doody.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ozz81 posted:

At my job, a lady in another department's first name is Nate. No, not pronounced like the male name ("nayt"), but pronounced "Nuh-tay". Nice enough lady, didn't get mad when I called her department to help and gave the (techinically) wrong name.

When I worked in a call centre, I spoke to a lady with the first name Wayne, which was odd enough, but apparently it was supposed to be pronounced Wan-ya. :psyduck:

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

My mom works at a local hospital, and her office used to be down the hall from the neonatal unit. Walking to lunch one day years ago she passed by one of the nurses who was giggling to herself, and so my mom asked why.

A woman that day gave birth to a girl, and the doctor mentioned to that nurse that the baby expelled meconium in the womb prior to birth. The new mother overheard the word and exclaimed how beautiful a name that was, and so named her daughter... :nms:Meconium.:nms:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, that didn't happen. I've heard the same stupid story a dozen times with names like Urethra, Vagina, Placenta, and Diarrhea and the only thing yours is missing is some mention of the new mother being black.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Sagebrush posted:

No, that didn't happen. I've heard the same stupid story a dozen times with names like Urethra, Vagina, Placenta, and Diarrhea and the only thing yours is missing is some mention of the new mother being black.

Not familiar with it, first and only time I've ever heard of anything like that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

On the other hand, Marijuana Pepsi Jackson is a real person.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I used to know a meth addict named Crystal Med.

PeaBeeJay
Sep 28, 2012

redmercer posted:

Do you work for a lovely company? Maybe those resumes weren't completely serious.

Nope, the resumes were serious. When I googled "Anotha Hitler" I found a Facebook page from a local high school where people mentioned going to school with her. Apparently, she's Sri Lankan.

I went to elementary school with a Harry Dix. Poor kid.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

PeaBeeJay posted:

Nope, the resumes were serious. When I googled "Anotha Hitler" I found a Facebook page from a local high school where people mentioned going to school with her. Apparently, she's Sri Lankan.

I went to elementary school with a Harry Dix. Poor kid.

My grandfather's brother (my grand-uncle?) is the Rev. Dick Hol.

I know he's from a different generation and all, but that has to have gotten some snickers in the '30s and '40s as well.

VVV Sounds like an awesome name to me.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Oct 26, 2012

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.
My mother is a school nurse, there was a child at her school named Alpachino Cruze. His first name, was all one word Alpachino...

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I once dated a girl with the first name of Randi. She was named after her uncle.

We didn't last long.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Theangryhobo posted:

I once dated a girl with the first name of Randi. She was named after her uncle.

We didn't last long.

Was she frequently randi

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sarah Barracuda posted:

One of my aunts named all her daughters using the prefix "Maria de..."

So I have Luci, who's actually Maria de la Luz (Mary of the Light), and some others.

And Cuca. Her real name is Maria del Refugio.

This is a common thing among Spanish names because of the old naming conventions from the old world.

In order to be baptized in Catholicism you usually need a to be named after a saint, or adopt a patron saint that goes on your records. Instead of celebrating a birthday, Spanish Catholic families will often celebrate the day associated with the saint. Or at least in my ghetto family we just call each other and wish them a happy saint's day.

It just so happens that for females there's not many saints other than the Virgin Mary and her many incarnations and a few others that have been canonized in the past few hundred years. Also there's only so many saints/total total so this is why there's not a whole lot of naming diversity the culture other than nicknames and compound names. Many families give girls combination names, often from their local patron Virgin, and just call the girls by nicknames to differentiate between the other twenty girls named Maria in the neighborhood. Many of these Virgins are just the Virgin Mary are dedicated to a certain idea or location. For example in La Macarena, a neighborhood of Seville, Spain, the Virgin Mary in the church is called Maria de la Macarena, and yes the famous song with it's associated dance is named after this church. Just off the top of my head some names can be Maria de la Concepcion (nickname is usually Conchi), Maria de los Reyes (nickname Reyes), Maria de las Flores (flores) and so on and so forth. I never went to sunday school so I never learned or remember many of the different saints or virgins.

But this doesn't just effect girls. Male names are often repeated to hell. Just in my close family I'm one of four males with the same name (father, cousin, dad's uncle) so nicknames for certain names have been developed over time. And this isn't just a thing particular to my family, or even just European Spanish Catholic families by the way as Italians use similar nicknames. Jose, named after Saint Joseph (The Virgin Mary's husband), has a common nickname of Pepe. Pepe is literally just PP in Spanish, which stands for Padre Putativo, which roughly translates to "reported father" or something. Ok so my Spanish sucks when it's not talking about food, big deal. Other male nicknames I can think off the top of my head (because they're names of uncles and cousins) are: Francisco can be Curro and Paco; Enrique can be Iker or Kiko; and Manuel can be Manolo. Compound first names are not unusual and are often shortened into portmanteaus. For example, someone named Jose Luis can be called Pepelu.

Oh and for a goofy name anecdote:
My father used to teach Spanish in a public high school in Florida. He had a kid on the roster one year named Shithead (pronounced with a soft th sound like "shi-thahd"). I really wish I was joking, and also wished I had proof of this but over the years it's kinda become a family in-joke for silly names people give their children.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Francostein posted:

Oh and for a goofy name anecdote:
My father used to teach Spanish in a public high school in Florida. He had a kid on the roster one year named Shithead (pronounced with a soft th sound like "shi-thahd"). I really wish I was joking, and also wished I had proof of this but over the years it's kinda become a family in-joke for silly names people give their children.

Can we stop posting these, already?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I worked at a company where one of the bosses was called Forest Basket.

ITM
Oct 23, 2010
A couple I know have two young girls, Tallica and Aycee.

Yes, after Metallica and ACDC.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Jisae posted:

A woman that day gave birth to a girl, and the doctor mentioned to that nurse that the baby expelled meconium in the womb prior to birth. The new mother overheard the word and exclaimed how beautiful a name that was, and so named her daughter... :nms:Meconium.:nms:

They really should have said something. One of my colleague's cousins was going to call her new daughter Angina. Everyone chorused up with 'NOOOO!'.

I've also had:
Mr. Basterd (I thought that was kinda cool, he changed it by deed poll though.)
Mrs. Fanny (funnier if you're in the UK)
Oh and the usual Chardonnay, Lexus, Prada type stuff.

One of my colleagues had a customer once called Barbara Barbara. That was her first name and surname.

Friend of mine's dad once worked with a Miss. Twiceanight.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

If I had been a girl, my mother would have named me Summer Rain. She probably would have picked out some hippy poo poo for a boy name as well but the honors thankfully went to my father.

I've had clients with interesting names but the only one that comes to mind now is Daylight Savings.

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

Francostein posted:

Spanish names

Yeah, I'm aware that it's fairly common to shorten because of all the Marias and Maria Joses. It was more because some of the nicknames, as you pointed out, sound nothing like the actual names. And as a kid I could never figure out where "Cuca" and "Tuti" came from, whereas the others made more sense to me.

And yep I have a cousin Enrique we call Kique and Manuel we call Meme.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.
Used to work with a guy called "Innocent Badchild".

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Were her parents expats or just normal run of the mill racists?

Who knows! She worked at WalMart.

Also popular, in highschool, David D. David. His middle name was Daniel, but he changed it to David after he graduated. Nothing weird there!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Sarah Barracuda posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that it's fairly common to shorten because of all the Marias and Maria Joses. It was more because some of the nicknames, as you pointed out, sound nothing like the actual names. And as a kid I could never figure out where "Cuca" and "Tuti" came from, whereas the others made more sense to me.

And yep I have a cousin Enrique we call Kique and Manuel we call Meme.

Not too many Marias in my family, but every one of my uncles named sons Victor & Basil, along with John. They all had daughters named Madeleine. Spanish people are weird when it comes to names.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Phineus posted:

My mother is a school nurse, there was a child at her school named Alpachino Cruze. His first name, was all one word Alpachino...

I also knew an Alpacino! Spelled like the actor, no H, but he went by Chino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I'm currently teaching a 19 year old named Annaly.

Edit: I found my list of names from substitute teaching at a yuppie school.

Garner Bush (m)
Hull Bolls (m)
Banks Speed (m)
Gunner Cress (m)
Hudson Bridges (m)
Walker Fielder (m)
Tanner Golden (m)
Grayton Ray (m)
Lake Wartes (m)
Lake Wilkinson (f)
Win Varner (m)
Camp Geary (m)
Sailor Summers (f)
Sage Buck (f)
Kennedy Nations (f)
Orchid Berch (f)

I don't know if this is true or not, but a friend who works at a hospital SWORE that she saw a baby's chart with her name Ablezzinanajoi (a blessing and a joy) written on it.

There is also a local surgeon named Dr. Doctor.

A grad school classmate (and published writer) is named Charity Burns. Her brother had a very strange name, too, but I think it was a mountain named in the Bible or something.

Betazoid has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Oct 29, 2012