Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CousinKevin posted:

See you have Zack and Wiki, how is that? Big fan of adventure games, but is one of those games I never got around to picking up or playing, see it for about $20 on eBay, worth it for that?

You can get it at Gamestop used and complete for 5-6 dollars. Z&W is worth a pickup but shop around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Cursed Mountain had a steelbook edition? :psyduck: Is it one of those games that's actually good despite the reviews, or did the devs just have high hopes for it?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cursed Mountain had a steelbook edition? :psyduck: Is it one of those games that's actually good despite the reviews, or did the devs just have high hopes for it?

The Steelbook Special Edition was cheaper than the regular one. The bonus disc included is a double sided disc you have to flip. It's an oddity of a game, but for less than 10 bucks(including shipping) I found it worth picking up. The Steelbook cover is actually a Tibetan Monk Mummy so it's rather creepy.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 23, 2012

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It. loving. Begins.

I want to cancel my preorder.

I just don't loving. Ugh. Nintendo is as loving dumb as ever and hasn't learned a thing.

Man, they really aren't going to fix things, are they?

Voice chat isn't really optional in the year of our lord 2012. We can certainly sit here and tell ourselves that it isn't that big of a deal because Mario/Zelda, but it is. Most AAA games are built on multi these days and that means voice chat as a standard.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
But we JUST had a post a page ago where it was from the guy from Sega saying: "yeah we didn't do that because :effort:" It wasn't Nintendo going :tinfoil: and blocking the Internet from our fragile child-like minds.

edit:

quote:

From the producer at Sumo Digital:

quote:
I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :P

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Plus don't forget that Dark Souls, arguably one of the most popular and well received games by goons, had limited to no voice chat allowed.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Requested_Username posted:

Plus don't forget that Dark Souls, arguably one of the most popular and well received games by goons, had limited to no voice chat allowed.

Yes but to be fair, one of the online features involved you killing other players by invading.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Requested_Username posted:

That's not even a remotely fair comparison and you know it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

That's not even a remotely fair comparison and you know it.

Yeah it's a different kind of game. It's very atmospheric and hearing someone call you a fag as you backstab them or hearing the voice of a child co-oping O&S would totally break immersion.

A game about war and soldiers? Douchebags and manchildren increase immersion tenfold.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I know it's not exactly what people are looking for but I figure I'll probably be using Skype to talk with friends while playing online. I never talk to randoms online so I won't care as much about not having voice chat in-game.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
The problem is that they're marketing this as your one-stop tool for your living room. It has TV support, an internet browser, video chat, online message boards for every game, and a controller that allows you to keep playing when someone else wants to use the TV. To take 1 GB of OS space and not offer universal, cross-game chat (even just among friends) is hard to understand for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mennonites Revenge posted:

The problem is that they're marketing this as your one-stop tool for your living room. It has TV support, an internet browser, video chat, online message boards for every game, and a controller that allows you to keep playing when someone else wants to use the TV. To take 1 GB of OS space and not offer universal, cross-game chat (even just among friends) is hard to understand for me.

Given time, it'll probably get patched in the same way as SD storage was on the Wii.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Mennonites Revenge posted:

That didn't link to anything. It did give me this post about Call of Duty though.

quote:

I imagine those that purchase this game aren't very bright in any regard. I mean this entire game has been built for your average idiot in mind. It doesn't require much thought, skill, or anything save for situational awareness to be successful. "Bad" players will often times kill a superior player due to the way these games are designed, and its rather pathetic how well these games do when compared to games that require a worthwhile human being behind the controller.

I wager none of you could actually succeed in Starcraft, Street Fighter, Halo, or any other game that rewards you solely on your own mettle. I take it you all tried these games at some point and had your egos bruised due to the learning curve required. I also take it most of you simple folk enjoy each of Micheal Bays Transformers outings, and also have copies of Drake, Lil Wayne, and Justin Bieber CD's nearby.

Its a shame how decadent and inane the average American has become, and its no surprise many other countries surpass us in almost every regard. You all like things being handed to you, and Call of Duty has shown that. You all enjoy the hundreds of unlocks and killstreaks that the game generally tosses your way, and I'm sure many of you would love if the government also threw handouts your way. Gone are the days of actually working hard to earn something.

All of my friends who have this game are the most painfully average people you can imagine, and they all gloat about their accomplishments in each title. Its rather pathetic. And whenever I bring over a game like Tekken or Halo, they all just give up when I man-handle them. Why learn mechanics? Why control weapon spawns? CALL OF DUTY BRAH! 420 EVERYDAY!

I imagine at this point most of you plebeians would have regurgitated some clever variation of "Too long didn't read", and if so, congratulation. I applaud you for making up our new society. One made up of borderline neanderthals.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Take it from someone who's beaten Xenoblade - The average playtime, just story, is about eighty hours minimum.. Doing all the subquests for all the factions, plus bonus bosses and whatnot, will take double that. Easily. It is also awesome all the way through.

Alcamoth is too big for an area once you start to lean on fast travel, since it has few landmarks, and the mines music is repetitive especially with bad speakers. Only two bad parts.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That controller acting as the screen when someone else wants to use the TV is a very nitche function at best.

Most people have DVR boxes to record things or hulu to watch stuff on their computer or consumer electronics device. Not only that but a lot of American Households have multiple televisions allready. The Wii-U is certainly no budget console either. So the people who can afford it, the majority have all/most of these things.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Vaerai Archon posted:

That controller acting as the screen when someone else wants to use the TV is a very nitche function at best.

Most people have DVR boxes to record things or hulu to watch stuff on their computer or consumer electronics device. Not only that but a lot of American Households have multiple televisions allready. The Wii-U is certainly no budget console either. So the people who can afford it, the majority have all/most of these things.

You apparently missed the entire point of it. The idea is to integrate those things you are listing off as old ideas. Are you replying to some argument in particular? You don't think the Wii U itself comes with a TiVo right?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Now's the time to buy Wii games. Stuff like Ghost Squad is going for a few dollars. Many places have BOGO Free or Buy one get one 40-75% off.

Man, where do you people live where you're finding all this Wii stuff for that cheap? Whenever I go to Walmart or Future Shop or EB Games, it's always $19.99-$39.99. This sucks :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Man, where do you people live where you're finding all this Wii stuff for that cheap? Whenever I go to Walmart or Future Shop or EB Games, it's always $19.99-$39.99. This sucks :(

Department stores are starting to dump them for cheap, and there's probably a few online stores have them for about $15-20 each. I'd give the link for the one I generally buy from, but it's all PAL stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

Like Neddy mentioned, department stores and such that most gamer-types wouldn't normally shop for video games will clearance out their old stock soon enough. Hell, several months ago I was able to buy several PS3 games for $3 a piece at a random unadvertised Shop-Ko clearance sale, and I'm talking games like Super Street Fighter IV, God of War III, Heavy Rain, etc., not to mention the second Professor Layton game, Glory of Heracles, Red Steel 2, and Loco Roco 2 for about $2 each. You just gotta get there at the right time, and hope nobody else bothers checking those stores. The less traffic the store seems to get on a daily basis, the better (as in, I am 100% surprised that my local Shop-Ko has stayed in business as long as it has with how empty that parking lot always is; it's sandwiched between a Wal-Mart and a K-Mart, both about two block apart on either side).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 23, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Policenaut posted:

The United States, also shopping online.

Gamestop has a lot of $14.99 and under used Wii gems/B-list titles.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Department stores are starting to dump them for cheap, and there's probably a few online stores have them for about $15-20 each. I'd give the link for the one I generally buy from, but it's all PAL stuff.

Could you post it for me?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Could you post it for me?

Sure. It's https://www.ozgameshop.com. It's a UK site that specializes in exporting to Australia (I believe they have a local UK version of their site as well, but I can't recall the name of it). The prices are in australian dollars and there's no shipping costs. I don't know how they pulled that last one off, but it makes it all the more wonderful.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure. It's https://www.ozgameshop.com. It's a UK site that specializes in exporting to Australia (I believe they have a local UK version of their site as well, but I can't recall the name of it). The prices are in australian dollars and there's no shipping costs. I don't know how they pulled that last one off, but it makes it all the more wonderful.

Oh, that's the one I use, they're pretty good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
On the plus side they've made 3D models for nearly everything it seems, and they've at least dabbled in 3D for a game with Harmo Knight. Then there's stuff like Layton and the new Phoenix Wright showing nice 3D cel shading getting pretty close to the 2D art, so who knows. That said I sort of don't see a big console one happening for the whole portable friendly gameplay reason someone mentioned earlier.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold/Silver, but I would play the hell out of a proper 3D Pokemon RPG. Use cel-shading! Hell, use 2D sprites on a 3D world like the Breath of Fire games (I know there are others, I just can't recall them).
Doesn't Black and White or the previous one do just that? (I just remembering being surprised at the overworld stuff being 3D way back)

Vaerai Archon posted:

It's actually what I'm looking forward to most, and pretty much why portables have gotten more play from me. It's not really the same as multiple TVs in a household since it doesn't require people to split up to do the different activities (the whole "together alone" thing). It's more analogous to having multiple TVs in the same room, or just whatever portable devices (games, phones, tablets, etc) along with the TV.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Currently, Game Freak has nothing to worry about when it comes to the Pokémon franchise so they'll never have to rush out and do something like a 3D MMO or anything.

The moment it isn't selling money bags, Game Freak will likely ask Nintendo to hook them up with someone who can help them make a 3D MMO Pokémon and it'll sell millions upon millions of copies. Right now, why exhaust that potential money tree? It's always going to be there.

It sucks from a gamer standpoint but oh well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I always just found it kind of stunning that they said that a few months after Pokedex 3D came out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Currently, Game Freak has nothing to worry about when it comes to the Pokémon franchise so they'll never have to rush out and do something like a 3D MMO or anything.

The moment it isn't selling money bags, Game Freak will likely ask Nintendo to hook them up with someone who can help them make a 3D MMO Pokémon and it'll sell millions upon millions of copies. Right now, why exhaust that potential money tree? It's always going to be there.

We're not talking about an MMO though, just a full 3D version of Pokemon.

japtor posted:

Doesn't Black and White or the previous one do just that? (I just remembering being surprised at the overworld stuff being 3D way back)

Yeah, but the combat still consists of two static images nudging eachother (no offense intended). I mean something more along the lines of what Pokemon Stadium had.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

MMOs are poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Generally, entire genres of games are not poo poo. Maybe you meant to say "I don't like 'blank'"

Well don't you worry about blank, let us worry about blank.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a funny quote because sleazy 80s businessmen are type of people I expect to still be pitching MMOs at this point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well one of the most hyped Wii U games there is is an MMO. It's the main reason several people in the thread are buying one.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

Well one of the most hyped Wii U games there is is an MMO. It's the main reason several people in the thread are buying one.

Where is this Wii U MMO?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

zenintrude posted:

Where is this Wii U MMO?

I think he's talking about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which is pretty misleading to call an MMO.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dragon Quest I guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not even a fan of MMO's, but you're basically insulting everyone who is for absolutely no reason.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

What the gently caress are you talking about?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Video games are poo poo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Count Uvula posted:

I think he's talking about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which is pretty misleading to call an MMO.

It... kind of is. If you squint really hard. Pretty much every game these days could be defined as an MMO in some way. Co-op multiplayer, personal progression that takes longer over time, choices in character development and a solo weakness that requires banding together with other people are all MMO staples.

What I'm trying to say is that Black Ops 2 is the MMO being described.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mailer posted:

It... kind of is. If you squint really hard. Pretty much every game these days could be defined as an MMO in some way. Co-op multiplayer, personal progression that takes longer over time, choices in character development and a solo weakness that requires banding together with other people are all MMO staples.

What I'm trying to say is that Black Ops 2 is the MMO being described.

The first M stands for "massively" :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Veotax posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Greatn is my favourite poster.

• Locked thread