Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

In fact, why not make that an achievement? If someone tries to hook up an orphanage or other residence to a meat factory, up pops the text "A Modest Proposal", followed by "Really? Wow...". Nothing actually occurs, or maybe you get struck with instant civil uprisings. I mean, Progress is Progress, but some things just go too far.

Thats a learning by failing experience if i ever saw one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deki posted:

This might have been answered earlier, but given almost everything is UML driven, like DoD, how much control would modders have over the process?

I missed this earlier. I was really hoping for proper scripting support this time around rather than a giant pile of XML. :( Aah well.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

While the nod to fine satire is lovely, please don't encourage turning children into edible foodstuffs. There's only so far you can go before you breach creepy goon territory.

It looks from afar like the "killable kids" Skyrim mod argument all over again on the horizon.

This is a good point.

I just really thought the satire would fit into a steampunk theme rather well with the oppression of the lower classes etc. :shobon:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The wooden platform makes me want to ask a question.

nvining, how grim will you make this? Will there be public executions, or is that too far?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nanomashoes posted:

Maybe it's an elder thing version of satire.

HAhah, that's awesome.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It looks from afar like the "killable kids" Skyrim mod argument all over again on the horizon.

Yeah, we're aware of this, and we have absolutely no idea how to handle it whatsoever. So naturally we will do it with our natural refinement and grace.

Gormless Gormster posted:

Will there be worthless nobles who regularly demand exquisite pairs of pants created entirely from pure gold and coconut sized diamonds as tribute?

Yes, there are useless members of the aristocracy. They tend to demand things like Clubs, Gentleman's Relish, and fine Brandy.

quote:

And if so, can we please use them as fuel for the factories?

File under "what do you do with urchins".

endlessmonotony posted:

nvining, how grim will you make this? Will there be public executions, or is that too far?

... hadn't thought about it, to be honest. Probably not but you never know.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey nvining you don't have private messages enabled, but can you shoot me an email at axemaniac@somethingawful.com - I'd like to keep in touch with you to help promote the title. It looks great so far!

nvining
May 30, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Hey nvining you don't have private messages enabled, but can you shoot me an email at axemaniac@somethingawful.com - I'd like to keep in touch with you to help promote the title. It looks great so far!

Sent.

Nanomashoes posted:

Oh hey it's everything I want in a video game: the video game.

I totally can't parse this sentence; is this a good sentence, or a bad sentence? :)

quote:

That coffin story is interesting, though, because everything we've seen so far has shown the elder things to be enemies of rationalism, whereas here we have something that actually improves factories. My guess is ten years down the line the factory is sealed shut and everyone inside is a skeleton going about the same toil with no independent thoughts, something like that. Maybe it's an elder thing version of satire.

Actually, it's just an excuse to combine my love of H. R. Giger with ideas from Final Fantasy 7. I think the Eldritch forces are not enemies of rationalism per se; they, themselves, are perfectly rational but rational only to their own logical codes. What we see is simply their own intrusion into our dimension. We'll see what we end up with, however.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

nvining posted:

I totally can't parse this sentence; is this a good sentence, or a bad sentence? :)

It BETTER be good! :argh:

nvining posted:

Yeah, we're aware of this, and we have absolutely no idea how to handle it whatsoever. So naturally we will do it with our natural refinement and grace.

In trying to use children as a resource, said children discover a startling thing, they cannot die nor feel pain greater then the pain of a slap, inflicted to "keep them in line." With this discovery the children of the colony begin to go on a rampage, making unreasonable demands, driving matrons insane, breaking windows and stealing sausages when the market owner is distracted. Unstoppable by all acts of modern science, eldrich abomination or even the threats of "boiled cabbage for tea" by worried, honest working parents.

With nowhere to go, the population call for the head of the person responsible for causing all this mundane chaos in the first place.

That was you.

The mob is outside your door and you are cursing the choice to reinforce the windows with iron bars "to stop the children from trying to get in from the outside."

Consider this a learning experience. Next time, if there is a next time, you run a colony, perhaps you will leave children alone to work in their mysterious ways.

Basically parody the hell out of invulnerable children thing in videogames. You know you wanna.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shadowmorn posted:

In trying to use children as a resource, said children discover a startling thing, they cannot die nor feel pain greater then the pain of a slap, inflicted to "keep them in line." With this discovery the children of the colony begin to go on a rampage, making unreasonable demands, driving matrons insane, breaking windows and stealing sausages when the market owner is distracted. Unstoppable by all acts of modern science, eldrich abomination or even the threats of "boiled cabbage for tea" by worried, honest working parents.

With nowhere to go, the population call for the head of the person responsible for causing all this mundane chaos in the first place.

That was you.

The mob is outside your door and you are cursing the choice to reinforce the windows with iron bars "to stop the children from trying to get in from the outside."

Consider this a learning experience. Next time, if there is a next time, you run a colony, perhaps you will leave children alone to work in their mysterious ways.

Basically parody the hell out of invulnerable children thing in videogames. You know you wanna.

Goddamn that's not a bad idea.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

nvining posted:

I have judged your video game and gave it the best sentence.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Shadowmorn posted:

But I turned the Parental Controls ON!

Oh wait... Orphans... :doh:

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
Urchins. Close!

(By the way, whenever the mystical magical testing debauchery begins, I can't wait to nitpick on any instances of this particular disparity of terms until your ears fall off, nvining. :downs:)

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blog post:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/23/abstract-resources-the-metagame/

Abstract resources, the metagame, and something highly unsavory attached inconspicuously to a sanitarium.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Since the game follows you as a bureaucrat, and you have points/prestige, will the points be bound to each game/level, or will it be a career-wide thing?

Also, would it be able to carry permanent upgrades or bonuses, as opposed to single boons, like the airstrike you mentioned?
I really love metagame upgrades to your character / base / whatever in strategy games, like Tropico and the newest Anno do. (Selectable stats that can be upgraded, and upgrades you can slot into your bitchin' floatbase for production-bonuses, efficiency upgrades and so on, respectively. )

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Today's blog post:

Abstract resources, the metagame, and something highly unsavory attached inconspicuously to a sanitarium.

Is... is that obleskian whateverthing trying to mate with the sanitorium?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
One thing I'm concerned about with these points is that they might become "Too Good to Use". It doesn't even have to be actually all that "too good"... they key point is that it's a hoardable resource that is a certain percentage more difficult to replenish than to use, like Megalixers in jRPGs. You keep saving them "for a rainy day", and push yourself to not use them even when it would be really helpful to, and miss out on the fun of being able to use the item.

Have you given this any thought?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Today's blog post:

This game really just keeps looking and sounder better and better.

I really do love the idea of the symbiotic thing attaching itself to buildings.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bernardo Orel posted:

Is... is that obleskian whateverthing trying to mate with the sanitorium?

I... I think it's feeding off of the madness of the inmates, which is converted into sustenance for the obleskian, and produces heat as a waste product, which is then used to create steam. This is amazing :allears:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 24, 2012

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Iunnrais posted:

One thing I'm concerned about with these points is that they might become "Too Good to Use". It doesn't even have to be actually all that "too good"... they key point is that it's a hoardable resource that is a certain percentage more difficult to replenish than to use, like Megalixers in jRPGs. You keep saving them "for a rainy day", and push yourself to not use them even when it would be really helpful to, and miss out on the fun of being able to use the item.

Have you given this any thought?

Make them decay over time, like Prestige in Europa Universalis, or maybe make them expire, like frequent flyer miles. It even makes sense in the narrative, because you shouldn't be able to call in favors just because you did something marginally useful 50 years ago.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Magrov posted:

Make them decay over time, like Prestige in Europa Universalis, or maybe make them expire, like frequent flyer miles. It even makes sense in the narrative, because you shouldn't be able to call in favors just because you did something marginally useful 50 years ago.

Absolutely. I fall into this trap too; saving things up for the perfect moment that never comes. Having an incentive to spend makes sense.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Absolutely. I fall into this trap too; saving things up for the perfect moment that never comes. Having an incentive to spend makes sense.

I agree with this, I have the same issue.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Magrov posted:

It even makes sense in the narrative, because you shouldn't be able to call in favors just because you did something marginally useful 50 years ago.

Maybe for the short-lived humans that only experience linear time. The Squamous Crater Beasts award prestige for things you haven't done yet. Woe to those who fail to live up to their expectations.

nvining
May 30, 2011

General consensus around the office is that yes, your prestige will atrophy. Spend it or lose it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

nvining posted:

General consensus around the office is that yes, your prestige will atrophy. Spend it or lose it.

Will prestige unlock anything permanent or will it be solely for one-off rewards?

Previously I had assumed it was used to unlock permanent upgrades/features, stuff like embarking with an extra civilian or having bonuses to work speed or whatever. Kind of like Age of Empires 4's home city feature, but better implemented.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hello Sailor posted:

Maybe for the short-lived humans that only experience linear time. The Squamous Crater Beasts award prestige for things you haven't done yet. Woe to those who fail to live up to their expectations.

It'd be pretty great if getting any favor with the friendlier cosmic horrors made them start giving you special bonuses - the sort of thing other factions would give you after completing a quest sort of thing - and then make you do the quest or else they attack you. :haw:

Adds an extra layer of risk to dealing with cosmic horrors.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

President Ark posted:

It'd be pretty great if getting any favor with the friendlier cosmic horrors made them start giving you special bonuses - the sort of thing other factions would give you after completing a quest sort of thing - and then make you do the quest or else they attack you. :haw:

Adds an extra layer of risk to dealing with cosmic horrors.

I really like this as a novel mechanic for quests. You are given a gift and then later the faction expects you to show them favor or you take a massive hit. Makes the other guys seem like real people instead of just filling up a meter.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hello Sailor posted:

This honestly sounds to be a fun game mechanic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Soylent Pudding posted:

I really like this as a novel mechanic for quests. You are given a gift and then later the faction expects you to show them favor or you take a massive hit. Makes the other guys seem like real people instead of just filling up a meter.

I really like this idea, especially since you as a player do it all the time.

"Hey <ally> here is <x> gold pieces, now please attack <enemy> thanks."

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
On the other hand, being given gifts you didn't ask for and then being expected to do another faction's bidding, whether you want to help them or not, or be punished could easily be frustrating if not done properly. If something like that did make it into the game, either there should be a way to weasel out of your obligation (you should at least be able to decline the gift when it's offered), or it should be something that only happens after you've already shown some willingness to deal with cosmic horrors and that you know what you're getting into.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dr. Demon posted:

On the other hand, being given gifts you didn't ask for and then being expected to do another faction's bidding, whether you want to help them or not, or be punished could easily be frustrating if not done properly. If something like that did make it into the game, either there should be a way to weasel out of your obligation (you should at least be able to decline the gift when it's offered), or it should be something that only happens after you've already shown some willingness to deal with cosmic horrors and that you know what you're getting into.

You could limit it such that this sort of interaction only happens if you make deals with them within a particular game, whereas more conventional interaction ("give you a quest -> you did it, here's a reward") are tied to reputation which might carry over from game to game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So the whole Godfather thing? "I will do this favor for you, but in return one day, and this day may never come, I will ask you for a favor in turn."

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Otherworldly horse-like heads found on city hall furniture. STOP. Constabulary baffled.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So the whole Godfather thing? "I will do this favor for you, but in return one day, and this day may never come, I will ask you for a favor in turn."

That idea sounds really cool; I could see it being set up where every favor you take adds to a percentage that gets rolled every cycle to see if they call back that favor. The more you do, the greater the chance you're going to have to pay them back with a big quest.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I can see it as something like
Step 1: Receive moderate award from otherworldly entity, refusal is not an option
Step 2: Otherworldy entity requests a minor favor, definitely not equivalent to the original award, a simple ritual that does virtually nothing. If you complete the favor you get another, even larger award. If you refuse, you have to deal with a moderate retaliation.
Step 3: Otherworldy entity requests a slightly larger favor...

At every point there should be a temptation to just go with it, the immediate rewards are always larger than the cost but it's a spiral that starts to get out of control.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Anticheese posted:

Otherworldly horse-like heads found on city hall furniture. STOP. Constabulary baffled.

Brilliant.

I am going to Telegram the poo poo out of LP's of this games.

URCHINS NOW SPROUTING WINGS STOP
OVERSEER TAKEN BY BAT-CHILD STOP
SEND ATTACK ZEPPELINS IMMEDIATELY STOP
PZ

Edit:

FACTORY SUBSUMED BY SHAPESHIFTING PIPE-WORMS STOP
STRANGE FLESHY HORROR REPLACING TOWN SQUARE WITH TENTANCLES STOP
PLEASE SEND INSTRUCTION

OVERSEER DEMANDING THOUSANDS OF USED GOLD TEETH STOP
VISCOUNT LIVERBOTTOM TAKEN HOSTAGE
PLEASE FORWARD SHIPMENT IMMEDIATELY

LOCAL FLORA ARGUING WITH NATURALISTS STOP
ELDERFLOWER CLAIMS EMPRESS DEAD
PLEASE ADVISE

I could do this all day

Pozzo fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 26, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Step 1: Receive moderate award from otherworldly entity, refusal is not an option
Step 2: Otherworldy entity requests a minor favor, definitely not equivalent to the original award, a simple ritual that does virtually nothing. If you complete the favor you get another, even larger award. If you refuse, you have to deal with a moderate retaliation.

At every point there should be a temptation to just go with it, the immediate rewards are always larger than the cost but it's a spiral that starts to get out of control.

This is an excellent idea. It's like "If you give a mouse a cookie" except replace the mouse with things beyond comprehension and reality.

I do agree that this is something that would have to be very delicately balanced, and tested thoroughly. It would have to be something that happens like once in a career, so that you don't end up with constant dings for not wanting to deal with it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a great idea. A real true way that the beings manipulate the bureaucracy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The road to hell is paved with Eldritch intentions. :cthulhu:

Even if these things dont do it, the nobility strikes me that they would put you in similar binds. Even going as far that declining a reward or a gift might enrage a noble to the point that its even worse then outright refusing to help them in the first place.

And when such a gift happens to be the Shed Olfactory Husk of the Thing-That-Burrows-In-The-Sand-Of-The-Mind... You might not want to take that gift. Or maybe you do. :unsmigghh:

I love reading/making up silly lovecraftian names, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aaargh, I can't wait for this <3

How long do we expect until a playable demo?

• Locked thread