Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
gently caress you Apple for not allowing fusion drives on the base iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I was hoping that the 13" rMBP would have discrete graphics.

How much do the refurbished 15" rMBP usually go for? I can't find any on the Canadian Apple store.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Secx posted:

I was hoping that the 13" rMBP would have discrete graphics.

How much do the refurbished 15" rMBP usually go for? I can't find any on the Canadian Apple store.

Saw one for $1869 the other day (USD)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

FlashBangBob posted:

Or the Mini. I would have already bought the base Mini if that was an option.

gently caress - they are so drat good at price discrimination.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I understand everyone's disappointment in the 13" MBPr not having dedicated video but it can't be that much of a surprise, can it? The 13" MBPc never had dedicated video.

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007

terriyaki posted:

I understand everyone's disappointment in the 13" MBPr not having dedicated video but it can't be that much of a surprise, can it? The 13" MBPc never had dedicated video.

Sure... but I think, for me anyway, the idea of a 'Retina' display implied that there would be some better graphics horsepower under the hood. The Macbook Air's and the 13" Macbook Pro all have the same graphics. If the 13" rMBP had discrete graphics I can guarantee that would be the machine I would end up buying, but, when I go back to school in January, I'll be picking up the 11" MacBook Air, which has the same graphics & RAM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm more pissed about the price. It's a $500 premium over the 13" Air. Sure you get 8GB instead of 4 but that's worth, what, $10?

I guess I'll just stay put till Haswell. I have a 2011 Air but a 2010 would be fine for my loving around online.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

fart blood posted:

I'm sad. I'd love a 13" rMBP, but there's no option to upgrade it to 16 gigs of RAM and I'm a designer so I'd really need that now. :(

If you're designing for anything above 72dpi, do you have a choice? Outside of previewing files on a retina mobile device, but that's no way to live.

Have you used an Air for design? I found even the 4GB Sandy faster than a stock iMac with added RAM in many cases for massive PS and AE comps simply because caching out to the SSD is faster than the HDD once the RAM is full. Plus it's a pleasure to use for the weight. Add retina and it's kind of best of both worlds for mobile prototyping anyway.

I'm just sad the 13" rMBP isn't quad-core. Can't have everything I guess. Also I'm sure the 15" packs more cells for those other 2 cores.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 24, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Is there a less-expensive non-Apple equivalent of Apple's Time Capsule?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

Is there a less-expensive non-Apple equivalent of Apple's Time Capsule?

AirPort Extreme + external hard drive is pretty much exactly the same. I'm sure there are other routers with USB ports that work pretty seamlessly too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

FlashBangBob posted:

Is that just the base 21 or base 27 too?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Shmoogy posted:

AirPort Extreme + external hard drive is pretty much exactly the same. I'm sure there are other routers with USB ports that work pretty seamlessly too.

I thought this wasn't supported?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

crazysim posted:

I thought this wasn't supported?
It works but it's significantly slower.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Shmoogy posted:

This got me thinking...can you plug an external hard drive into a TimeCapsule to make an even LARGER network drive?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

This got me thinking...can you plug an external hard drive into a TimeCapsule to make an even LARGER network drive?
There's no way to combine them into a single volume, but yes you can certainly use USB drives and printers with a Time Capsule.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
In the above scenario, how would you connect to the drive over the network to save files? Would it just be an available drive in Windows/Finder?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

In the above scenario, how would you connect to the drive over the network to save files? Would it just be an available drive in Windows/Finder?
Yep. It shows up as a network share.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Anyone have any idea how the NVIDIA 680MX in the new iMac would compare to the 6970M in the 2011?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Info on the Fusion drive stuff: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/digging-into-fusion-drive-details

Sounds like it's all done in software...but it's only for the new machines (and presumably only if you configure it with the drive).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Info on the Fusion drive stuff: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/digging-into-fusion-drive-details

Sounds like it's all done in software...but it's only for the new machines (and presumably only if you configure it with the drive).
I have a sneaking suspicion who they got to write that driver, so I'm not too surprised to learn more about their implementation.

I can't wait to play with a Fusion drive system, but it sounds like a good solution.

fruitpoops
May 11, 2006
fruitloops
Damnit, Apple. You're still charging $300 extra to go from a 128GB to a 256GB SSD. This is crazy. :argh:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep. It shows up as a network share.

For Windows as well?

Some instances of poo poo I would download I would want to be just accessible from that drive and not even get onto the laptop to take up space there for whatever reason.

I am still contemplating a 15 inch Retina machine before school starts up for me in April. Id wait for Haswell but that isn't likely till late June/July. I dont even have my own laptop. What the wife has is 8 years old, I barely touch it.

Im just wondering if it would really serve my needs for desktop replacement that is 6 years old currently, my original Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram and GTX 260.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

For Windows as well?
Windows systems can access network shares on a Time Capsule, yes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

1997 posted:

Anyone have any idea how the NVIDIA 680MX in the new iMac would compare to the 6970M in the 2011?

nVidia claims that the 680MX has 2X the performance of the 580MX.

Notebookcheck.net says the 580MX has a 13% advantage over the AMD 6970M at 1920 * 1080.

Sooo, in general performance, it should be safe to say the nVidia 680MX will be a little more than twice as fast than the AMD Radeon 6970M.. I can't believe it, loving 1536 CUDA cores! It'll wipe the floor with the 2011 iMacs if you have PhotoShop workflows that are CUDA heavy... If I had the money I'd sooner get an 2012 iMac maxed out than an equivalent Mac Pro for CUDA / Einstein @ Home work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The tapered look of the new iMac doesn't do it for me and actually looks silly. I'll have to see it in person before I decide but I think I prefer the uniform look of my 2011 model.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm terribly interested in a Mac Mini.

Thing is though I would need a monitor to go with it...at which point I guess I should just get an iMac, since a fuckin Apple display is a grand. I don't like the idea of the monitor and computer being all stuck in together, but it's cheaper just to get a 27 inch iMac than to properly configure a Mac Mini and buy a monitor as well.

gently caress I wish I had a good monitor laying around.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Crow_Robot posted:

I'm terribly interested in a Mac Mini.

Thing is though I would need a monitor to go with it...at which point I guess I should just get an iMac, since a fuckin Apple display is a grand. I don't like the idea of the monitor and computer being all stuck in together, but it's cheaper just to get a 27 inch iMac than to properly configure a Mac Mini and buy a monitor as well.

gently caress I wish I had a good monitor laying around.

You can pick up a decent monitor for less than 200$, and the mac mini will take any hdmi input.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ratbert90 posted:

You can pick up a decent monitor for less than 200$, and the mac mini will take any hdmi input.
You can also get a mini-DisplayPort to DVI cable or adapter and use it with any monitor with a DVI port as well.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: d'oh

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I'm surprised the 13" rMBP is .04" thicker than the 15" rMBP.

Wasn't there talk of the Mac Pro getting a proper Q4 2012 update, or did I imagine that?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

quadratic posted:

I'm surprised the 13" rMBP is .04" thicker than the 15" rMBP.

Wasn't there talk of the Mac Pro getting a proper Q4 2012 update, or did I imagine that?
Mac Pro doesn't exist anymore.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Wario In Real Life posted:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercurius posted:

You can also get a mini-DisplayPort to DVI cable or adapter and use it with any monitor with a DVI port as well.
If it's like the 2010/2011 models it'll come with a HDMI to DVI adapter (fake edit: it does).

quadratic posted:

That was for the iMac, the supposed Mac Pro update (...or replacement) is for next year.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I love my late 2009 iMac, it's pretty much the perfect computer for me... but that new iMac is really dreamy. I'm considering to pull the trigger on the 27" entry option + fusion drive. I know it sounds silly... but it's so thin.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 24, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
An extra $180 after tax for a refurb 15" rMBP over a 13" rMBP. Welp. Guess that decides that. 15".

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Jack's Flow posted:

I love my late 2009 iMac, it's pretty much the perfect computer for me... but that new iMac is really dreamy. I'm considering to pull the trigger on the 27" entry option + fusion drive. I know it sounds silly... but it's so thin.
I've got a late '10 and have absolutely no desire to upgrade at all. The thinness is completely superfluous when it comes to a stationary desktop display, and also isn't that impressive when you realize that it just looks that thin because of the angle in all the promo shots. If you actually look at the back of the machine it bulges out like a bad case of botulism.

I'll hold out for my 27" retina display in 2 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

terriyaki posted:

No, it's not surprising. But considering that the discrete GPU in the 15" one is pushed within an inch of its capabilities just to make things look zippy and smooth on the display (it doesn't leave much wiggle room for serious "pro" use), I'm not entirely sure I want to know how comfortable the 13" MBPr will be to run.

I'm seriously digging the iMacs though. This is the first time (at least to my knowledge) that you can spec what can honestly be called a "top of the line" GPU in a mac from the factory. Previously, the best anyone's ever been able to get is "pretty solid but not quite the best thing out there." I know it's "only a laptop GPU" but I think the 680MX is more than capable of handling most people's workflows.

It's like Apple decided to do their best to satisfy the cries from creatives over neglecting the mac pro- but then went the extra mile to make sure that they'd never have the ability to service or replace a drat thing on the machine that they earn their bread with.

I know that nobody'll have the chance to futz around with the new iMac's innards until they ship, but I'm assuming that replacing your own drive is out of the question with these new Fusion setups, right?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 24, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I thought that was 2013.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I've got a late '10 and have absolutely no desire to upgrade at all. The thinness is completely superfluous when it comes to a stationary desktop display, and also isn't that impressive when you realize that it just looks that thin because of the angle in all the promo shots. If you actually look at the back of the machine it bulges out like a bad case of botulism.

I'll hold out for my 27" retina display in 2 years.
Always spoiling the party, Wario. But yeah, I saw some short videos of the new iMac and of course it bulges out because the computer parts need to go somewhere. My excitement for the iPad Mini did cool off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
So, if the Fusion drive is "managed" via Mountain Lion, what will it look like in Boot Camp? Two separate drives?