Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Following on from my blog post on the subject yet another Metis AT missile has been spotted, they seem to be making quite a few appearances recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2tRF1seQ8

This is a kinda human moment. The guy is psyching himself up, with the bearded man (probably an instructor or adviser) as emotional support (look how he shoos away the guy with the AK) and it looks like he's saying a prayer before he mans the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Charliegrs posted:

LOL its really no surprise that Monsanto invests in Syria.

If Monsanto's CEO doesn't live on a tropical island with a Volcano and/or skull-shaped rockface it's only because he's still shopping around.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Torpor posted:

Using a premier anti-tank rocket to shoot a building seems like a waste. Do they have tons to spare or just a more pressing lack of RPGs?

Edit: I guess it could be an older Metis model. However, it seems odd to use a wire-guided anti-tank missile against an immobile building.

It's not a completely weird choice... ATGM launchers are wieldy systems and Metis has a minimum range of 40m (the old Malyutka has a minimum range of 500m!). This makes them slightly suboptimal for use in street fighting as armoured fighting vehicles are fast and rather small targets, meaning the line of sight can become obstructed by parked cars etc. and it's not easy to maneuver the system to a better position like you could do with an RPG. ATGMs are better suited for long range defense in places where they can cover large areas.

I guess if it gets the job done it gets the job done. Insufficient data to tell if it's wasteful for them to do so or not. Of course, ground troops usually are not too conservative about using their ammunition to clear a threat against them. During the Iraq war US troops were spending their Javelin ATGMs at an alarming rate against targets such as snipers on rooftops, civilian cars etc. This wasn't so bad tactically as it was unlikely for tanks to overrun them, but those missiles cost $40k a pop.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

I guess if it gets the job done it gets the job done. Insufficient data to tell if it's wasteful for them to do so or not. Of course, ground troops usually are not too conservative about using their ammunition to clear a threat against them. During the Iraq war US troops were spending their Javelin ATGMs at an alarming rate against targets such as snipers on rooftops, civilian cars etc. This wasn't so bad tactically as it was unlikely for tanks to overrun them, but those missiles cost $40k a pop.

It's because of stuff like that they're trying to develop self-accurizing counter-defilade weapons to attack targets behind cover. The reason you'd use something like a top-down and/or guided weapon is to get such a precise shot that bypasses cover (by flying through a window or arcing over a rooftop) and the explosion usually guarantees the target is at least immobilized if not dead.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Torpor posted:

Using a premier anti-tank rocket to shoot a building seems like a waste. Do they have tons to spare or just a more pressing lack of RPGs?

Most likely they just wanted to shoot the video for propaganda purposes. One missile won't make much difference either way. If they only had one missile that was probably the best use they could have put it towards.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

International mediator Lakhdar Brahimi has said the Syrian government has agreed to a ceasefire during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, a decision Damascus would announce shortly.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/10/20121024895639897.html

Who knows what this means in practice. I also have no idea who Brahimi was negotiating with on the opposition side, if anyone.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabias-secret-arab-spring-8223550.html

Not a very good article, but I'm amazed a reporter got access to Awamiyah.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.beirutbeltway.com/beirutbeltway/2012/10/taliban-justice-in-lebanon.html

This whole story is crazy.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Why was him wearing an Imam Ali sword necklace such a big deal? Is the fact that this occurred near Tariq Jdideh (which I presume is a neighbourhood in Beirut) important to the context of the story? I presume the group that stopped him were Sunni?

But yeah, that is a pretty crazy story.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Munin posted:

Why was him wearing an Imam Ali sword necklace such a big deal? Is the fact that this occurred near Tariq Jdideh (which I presume is a neighbourhood in Beirut) important to the context of the story? I presume the group that stopped him were Sunni?

The Taliban are Takfiri, which means that they view any other Muslim that does not hold the same religious views as them as being takfir, or impure. The Imam Ali, the son-in-law of the prophet Muhammad, is considered by Shias to be the first imam. The necklace marked the victim out as being a Shia, and in the views of a Taliban-wannabe he should be put to death for this.

And yes, they were Sunni.

Young Freud posted:

This is a kinda human moment. The guy is psyching himself up, with the bearded man (probably an instructor or adviser) as emotional support (look how he shoos away the guy with the AK) and it looks like he's saying a prayer before he mans the launcher.
Using an AT missile launcher is risky business. Once you fire it your position is very visible to the enemy, so if you don't gently caress up whatever vehicle you're shooting at it's likely that it will train its weapon on your position.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 24, 2012

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Nenonen posted:

During the Iraq war US troops were spending their Javelin ATGMs at an alarming rate against targets such as snipers on rooftops, civilian cars etc. This wasn't so bad tactically as it was unlikely for tanks to overrun them, but those missiles cost $40k a pop.

So what did the military/government have to say about that? Obviously they're going to be concerned about $40,000 shots to take out a sniper but on the other hand it's a sniper shooting, and I imagine having a pretty significant impact on troops vs regular small arms fire, troops. It almost reminds me of a video game where you say gently caress it and just kill someone with the largest weapon there is because you can. However, in real life, I imagine "sniper, most likely coming out of the top of that building but can't be seen" and then looking at your javelin which could take collapse the building he's hiding in as a very viable solution for an intense situation. My or my peers life is worth more than the USG's 40k any day.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GreenCard78 posted:

So what did the military/government have to say about that?

From what I recall they fast tracked production of the LAW again so structures could be brought down less expensively.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russians make a claim backed up with nothing

quote:

Russia: Syria rebels have US-made weapons

A senior Russian general has said Syrian rebels now have anti-aircraft weapons, including US-made Stingers.

Gen Nikolai Makarov was quoted by the Interfax news service as saying the origin of the surface-to-air missiles should be "cleared up".

Russia is the biggest supplier of arms to its Syrian government ally.

Aerial bombardment of rebel-held towns continued on Wednesday, as the UN's Syria envoy prepared to brief the Security Council on ceasefire efforts.

Lakhdar Brahimi has been trying to arrange a ceasefire between rebels and government forces over the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha, which begins on Friday.

Weapon supplies

"We have reliable information that Syrian militants have foreign portable anti-aircraft missile systems, including those made in the USA... it should be cleared up who delivered them," Gen Makarov told journalists in Russia.

There have been earlier unconfirmed reports of the Syrian opposition having shoulder-mounted missiles, but the West has been reluctant to openly arm the rebels.

In August, Syrian rebels said they had shot down a fighter jet near the border with Iraq.

Syrian warplanes have stepped up their bombardments of rebel-dominated areas in recent months, particularly in the north of the country. Deadly air raids are now daily events in towns around the city of Aleppo.

Recent footage has emerged of Syrian opposition fighters using old Soviet SA-7 heat-seeking missiles, which can destroy a plane flying at up to 14,000ft.

US-made Stinger missiles are shoulder-mounted anti-aircraft weapons designed to target low-flying planes and helicopters.

A US decision to supply them to the mujahideen in Afghanistan in the 1980s to fight the Russians proved to be a turning point in the war.

The UN says that more than 18,000 people have died so far in the uprising against Bashar al-Assad's government, which began in March 2011, but activists and opposition groups put the figure closer to 30,000.

I've seen zero evidence of Stingers in Syria, and certainly no evidence of scores of aircraft being shot down by missile, so I'm not sure where he's getting his info from. He should read my blog.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

I've seen zero evidence of Stingers in Syria, and certainly no evidence of scores of aircraft being shot down by missile, so I'm not sure where he's getting his info from. He should read my blog. :smug:

Fixed. :v:

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Munin posted:

After the civil war broke out in 1975, Beirut was subjected to tit-for-tat massacres and ethnic cleansing by Christian and Muslim militias which led to the de-facto partition of Beirut into the east Christian district and the west Muslim district.

The Muslim area is divided further by sect, with the Shia southern suburbs (Dahieh) and the northern urban area. Tariq Jdideh, the Sunni area where this man was a ttacked, is right near the border of the Sunni/Shia districts, north of the Sabra/Shatila Palestinian refugee camps.

The southern suburbs became a stronghold for militiant Shiism as Shias fled from years of fighting in southern Lebanon, which was held by the PLO and then Israel. This area and were carpetbombed during the 2006 war by Israel. The southern suburbs are also where Syrian laborers are being subjected to harassment by Lebanese Shi'as.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 24, 2012

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

The Russians make a claim backed up with nothing

I've seen zero evidence of Stingers in Syria, and certainly no evidence of scores of aircraft being shot down by missile, so I'm not sure where he's getting his info from. He should read my blog.

Yes, but you, see, he is a senior intelligence official from an actual state. You are just some hoser with a blog. QED :smug:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Have you seen much evidence of recoilless rifles being used in Syria, Moses?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Crasscrab posted:

Have you seen much evidence of recoilless rifles being used in Syria, Moses?

They've been used in the past, in particular by al-Farouq in Homs, but in recent weeks I'm starting to see far more videos of them, along with Type-63s and Metis missiles I posted about earlier. It's as if in the last few weeks they've started breaking out their stockpiles of looted weapons, or receiving them from elsewhere.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Munin posted:

There's a long history of "checkpoint killings" in Lebanon. As Lebanon is a sectarian state, religion is listed on the ID. Checkpoint killings are when a particular group or militia sets up roadblocks and demands to see the ID of anyone wanting to pass through. Those unlucky to be of the wrong sect, or in the case of Palestinians, lacking an ID, get kidnapped or more commonly dragged off and killed

The first large scale event of this nature was "Black Saturday" Dec. 6th 1975. The Phalange set up checkpoints on all the highways in Beirut and and executed anyone with a Muslim ID or who they determined to be Palestinian. This sparked retaliation from both the Lebanese National Movement (a leftist pro-Palestinian coalition) and the PLO. While this wasn't the first violent action in the saga of the civil war, it was the first large scale outbreak of randomized sectarian killing.

As Az J J noted, due to Beirut's religiously delineated neighborhoods, militias used checkpoints as a way of controlling movement and access to resources of the populations whose roadways were controlled by said checkpoints. In Beirut much of the civil war was fought neighborhood against neighborhood. A perfect example of this is the current fighting in Tripoli between the Sunni of Bab al-Tabbaneh and the Alawi of Jab al-Mohsen.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Am I wrong in thinking that it's weird for a Lebanese Salafist to be wearing a shalwar kameez in Beirut? Isn't the traditional garb of the Salafist the jalabiyya?

az jan jananam posted:

The Muslim area is divided further by sect, with the Shia southern suburbs (Dahieh) and the northern urban area. Tariq Jdideh, the Sunni area where this man was a ttacked, is right near the border of the Sunni/Shia districts, north of the Sabra/Shatila Palestinian refugee camps.

Would you happen to have a higher res copy of this picture?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Looks like Sudan is blaming Israel for the explosion at an arms factory overnight. Interestingly, early eyewitness accounts alleged that a plane with arms had crashed in the area, or that planes were seen in the sky around the time of the explosion. Footage of the area shows a crater and alleged rocket debris, which Sudan says it will take to the UN. Still seems a bit implausible that it was Israel, but not outside the realm of possibility I suppose.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/10/20121024142531802810.html

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2012/10/hes_behind_you.html

An interesting retrospective on Qaddafi's career and influence. Maybe Sudan is starting to play his game?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Thank you very much for all the additional details. :) It really makes the setting much more clear and the historical context really drives home what fears any event like this evoke.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008
Oh hey, the guy who claimed he had his fingers cut off in Tariq al-Jdeideh is now in the custody of the LAF for making the entire thing up.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

MothraAttack posted:

Looks like Sudan is blaming Israel for the explosion at an arms factory overnight. Interestingly, early eyewitness accounts alleged that a plane with arms had crashed in the area, or that planes were seen in the sky around the time of the explosion. Footage of the area shows a crater and alleged rocket debris, which Sudan says it will take to the UN. Still seems a bit implausible that it was Israel, but not outside the realm of possibility I suppose.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/10/20121024142531802810.html

Some people are noting that Khartoum is a few hundred Km further than Iran. I also read something about how the factory may have been supplying weapons to Iran, but I haven't read anything to substantially corroborate that yet.

It will be interesting to see where this goes, if anywhere.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

suboptimal posted:

Oh hey, the guy who claimed he had his fingers cut off in Tariq al-Jdeideh is now in the custody of the LAF for making the entire thing up.

This whole story is super weird.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hmm, Caro appears to have vanished, along with the guy who was taking him across the border.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Hmm, Caro appears to have vanished, along with the guy who was taking him across the border.

Oh gently caress.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Party Plane Jones posted:

From what I recall they fast tracked production of the LAW again so structures could be brought down less expensively.

Half an hour later :catstare: I can't believe some of the stuff on the internet.

I hope Caro is still alive.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ah, it sounds like Caro didn't make it across and is now broke in San Diego.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In some sort of institution for his own and other's safety, right?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

In some sort of institution for his own and other's safety, right?

Nope, avoid any schools or churches around the San Diego area for the time being.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Caro is a weird, weird dude.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Can Caro be arrested in the U.S. for being an illegal combatant in Libya, or is that outside jurisdiction?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Brown Moses posted:

Ah, it sounds like Caro didn't make it across and is now broke in San Diego.

Its sad that he likely won't find psychiatric help, but isn't this pretty much the best outcome that we could have expected?

He's not endangering others, he's in no risk of being killed himself, and isn't in a position where he could start an incident or hurt civillians unintentionally.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who won the election in Libya?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Hasnt Israel bombed targets in Sudan before?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I'm sorry if this seems like a weird request, but I remember last year there was either an online article or a blog post during the Libyan Revolution where they were interviewing a Libyan about what they wanted. He responded with something like "we want a real government, made on the real rule of laws, not rule of men, and we want a separate judiciary." I'm writing something for a class and If anyone could either pull it up or knows when it was written so I can find it more easily that would be great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WYA posted:

Who won the election in Libya?

I think the more secular folks won the actual "party" elections but the individual candidates are more Islamist (but who knows since it's probably the first time they've ran for anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Hasnt Israel bombed targets in Sudan before?

In April 2011 I think they offed a couple of Hamas traffickers. At least, it was strongly implied they did. If they bombed the factory it definitely represents an escalation in the level of sabotage they're willing to engage in. If they were behind it, it could also be seen as a very overt signal to Iran in regards to operational capabilities.

• Locked thread