Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slaughterhaul posted:

Also more Kirby goodness

Double crossing dog! Is in the list with "Cheese and crackers" as something I'd use if I ever wrote a comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

LordPants posted:

Double crossing dog! Is in the list with "Cheese and crackers" as something I'd use if I ever wrote a comic book.

I knew a guy in high school who yelled CHEESE AND RICE!!!! when he got mad. It was against his religious beliefs to say Jesus Christ, you see, so it was a suitable replacement.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/author/mphelan/

This vaguely fits the "bad comic art" label but this guy's stuff is funny as hell (maybe not as much if you don't watch Mad Men) so enjoy it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Earlier, some of the Ame-Supergirl art, and it was pretty odd, but I saw another take on it and actually, this does look sort of cool:

She always wore a leotard, but now it actually looks like part of an athletic outfit with the sneakers and shinguards.

I actually think PG would work as a character with a bit of a power-down (remove some of the usual Kryptionian powers, emphasize the fit, tough, constantly working out aspects).

An athletic Kryptonian is a great idea.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 23, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This was a Michael Turner cover for Justice League of America #1 (2006). It's Turner at his worst. Wonder Woman looks like an old woman. Black Canary has Down Syndrome. Red Arrow (Arsenal, Speedy, whatever) is aiming an arrow at Hal's neck.

Mister Roboto posted:

Earlier, some of the Ame-Supergirl art, and it was pretty odd, but I saw another take on it and actually, this does look sort of cool:

She always wore a leotard, but now it actually looks like part of an athletic outfit with the sneakers and shinguards.

I actually think PG would work as a character with a bit of a power-down (remove some of the usual Kryptionian powers, emphasize the fit, tough, constantly working out aspects).
It's like a third-rate Joe Maduiera clone.

Oh, and Roboto: use the TIMG tags to reduce that image to a thumbnail.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 23, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Baron Bifford posted:

Red Arrow (Arsenal, Speedy, whatever) is aiming an arrow at Hal's neck.

Sounds like a good plot.

The timg worked, thanks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Baron Bifford posted:

The pencil work was competent, but the character designs are horrific. drat it Grant Morrison, stop designing costumes!

Competent?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

The pencil work was competent, but the character designs are horrific. drat it Grant Morrison, stop designing costumes!

That was kinda the point. The Whip and the rest of the first Seven Soldiers was a bunch of wannabes and has-beens.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

(Aliens: Nightmare Asylum, Mark A. Nelson)

I loving love the art in this comic. :allears:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 25, 2012

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know this sounds ridiculous to any long-time Iron Man fan, but I'm reading through the old issues and wow, I'm seriously liking George Tuska! I've been trying to place what it is about him that seems above and beyond the others before him.

I thought at first it might have something to do with the colouring helping his work pop, or maybe better drafstmanship, but no, looking back at Craig's brief stint and then the later Colan issues, it's not that. Going through more Colan issues though it struck me that Colan's work made me think of pulp, or noir. To get some fan consensus I went to a random forum to see what their Top Iron Man Artist lists look like, and some guy nailed it for me in painting Colan's Iron Man issues as gothic horror and that's the perfect description. There was something about those issues of his that never quite seemed right and now with Tuska's work I can see that I was missing that comic-book pop. Colan used too much sketchy shading for my tastes.

Though maybe I'm wrong and it's just Tuska's cuh-raaazy panel shapes!

He did this layout quite a bit early on and it's just like the "Screw your drat squares" school of comic book drawing. There's even a little corner that juts out into the bottom-right panel.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lurdiak posted:

That's because half the writers routinely forget and say it's an American program.

Well, if you want to get all spergy, Weapon X was run by Canada, but Weapon Plus was started with Weapon I, which was Captain America. So who the hell knows what it counts as.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this was posted a long time ago near the start and has since 404'd but the longer you look at this, the worse it gets. At least with Liefeld all the awful loving stuff is up front but this you just need to stare at for a few minutes to draw in the awfulness. I could bullet point every bad thing but why bother when it's more fun to realize them for yourself.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 25, 2012

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

peanut- posted:

I really like the first panel of the Young Avengers Point One story

Why does the Statue of Liberty have miniature statues popping out of it?

Edit: And the Empire State Building. I just now noticed that, too

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Tuska is awesome and deserves more love.

Vanderdeath posted:

Why does the Statue of Liberty have miniature statues popping out of it?

Edit: And the Empire State Building. I just now noticed that, too

Note the 'Earth-212' bit in the caption; I gather that Earth-212 is basically a mega-New York or something. There was something in an interview... ah, here we go.

quote:

Gillen: She's much cooler than everyone else. When we first meet her in the "Marvel NOW! Point One" issue she's in an alternate dimension, 212, which is an infinite New York. The mountains are made out of Empire State Buildings and things like that. That's my way of reinventing the concept of someone from a cooler place than where you are. It's like that if you meet someone from New York for the first time if you come from somewhere lovely like Stafford. You're a bit starstruck because frankly you're brought up with these ideas in the media that they are in some ways more interesting and worldly than you are, and in may ways they probably are. [Laughs] In a totally in-canon way, Hulkling and Wiccan are glorious big geeks. America Chavez isn't. She's totally bemused by half the stuff they talk about.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's also Earth 212 because of this.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Slaughterhaul posted:

It's also Earth 212 because of this.

That, and it's the area code for Manhattan.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Enjoy this amazing panel from the latest Secret Avengers #33:

What the gently caress is with Hawkeye's face? Also I enjoy how Captain Britain's chin is about the same size as the rest of his face above his mouth.

Also the action sequence here is a bit weird to follow.

Sorry for the piss poor quality. Just took a quick pic with my phone. I think I paid more attention to quality than they did to Hawkeye's face at least.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
This guy, Timothy Green William, was kind of bad, even compared to the much hated Billy Tan:

Does anyone else hate having multiple artists per issue?

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

SpeedofLife posted:

This guy, Timothy Green William, was kind of bad, even compared to the much hated Billy Tan:

I got confused there for a second. I was thinking of Timothy Green II who's style I absolutely love.

Annihilation: Conquest – Star-Lord #1
http://imgur.com/q2YJP

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MaxDuo posted:

Enjoy this amazing panel from the latest Secret Avengers #33:

What the gently caress is with Hawkeye's face? Also I enjoy how Captain Britain's chin is about the same size as the rest of his face above his mouth.

Looks like Hawkeye's eyes (:v:) got some extra pupils colored in, like so:

Mouth is still a clusterfuck, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This particular piece of bad art benefits from audio.

Cherry #10

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Baron Bifford posted:

This was a Michael Turner cover for Justice League of America #1 (2006). It's Turner at his worst. Wonder Woman looks like an old woman. Black Canary has Down Syndrome. Red Arrow (Arsenal, Speedy, whatever) is aiming an arrow at Hal's neck.

Aside from the weird faces this one doesn't look that bad to me.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The faces are the most important part. Ed Benes suffers from the same basic problem. His females look too similar and can't emote well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the cover image for Smallville 23.

Looking at Cat Staggs' other stuff, this is probably stylized rather than just bad, but it sure looks bad.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 27, 2012

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It looks like someone gave the cover a shake and they're all tumbling around, Star Trek bridge style.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looking at Cat Staggs' other stuff, this is probably stylized rather than just bad, but it sure looks bad.

No, look at the hexagon shaped depression on the dude's helmet and how wonky it is. That's not stylization, that's an artist either working under an impossible deadline or just not giving a poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The hexagon is what got me thinking she's trying some cubist thing. It had to be intentional.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like this cover by Steve Rude:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Alhazred posted:

I like this cover by Steve Rude:

That little black cat knows whats up.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Can I post the whole issue of FF in here? Cause I want to.

FF#1

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe the art will be fixed once Superboy finishes punching the continuity.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I just finished reading through Claremont's first Uncanny X-Men and wow does the quality swan-dive the minute he's gone. At this point Whilce Portacio is trying his best to be Jim Lee and it just ain't happening.

From Uncanny X-Men #281:

ex-people
Nov 29, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

Here's some cool Paolo Rivera headshots

Love his Daredevil covers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay I know a lot of people like Chris Burnham but how can you look at this poo poo from Batman Inc #5 and tell me it's good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Okay I know a lot of people like Chris Burnham but how can you look at this poo poo from Batman Inc #5 and tell me it's good?

I don't know what you're talking about, looks fine to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TwoPair posted:

Evidently they got confused and thought he was Frank Quitely.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TwoPair posted:

How can you look at that and tell me it isn't good?

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
if that's damian wayne it's par for the course

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, looks fine to me.

Holy poo poo, now it looks like the other one's the photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
It reminds me of that "tiny face Mitt Romney" meme that was going around for a while. I think I've made peace with Burnham's faces being kind of weird though.