Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Could we play with the new Chaos cards but the old upgrades?

I'm not sure but I think the rules disapprove. The Horned Rat player only has one set of cards, but the other four players either use all new stuff or all old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Any opinions on Zombie State? Got a trade offer--my Funny Friends for it.

Theme sounds interesting and I thought players would be able to negotiate with each other, but some of the reviews say it's more like multiplayer solitaire Pandemic, which doesn't sound interesting to me at all.

What's the player interaction look like?

I played it once and it seemed really unbalanced and had a bunch of really old-seeming design decisions.

You need resources to research stuff and you pay them and actions to try to research. Then you have to roll a certain number on a D12 to actually succeed or you lose your resources. I got lucky with some early rolls and got a super overpowered technology and used it to wipe out all the zombies two turns after whilst everyone else was being overrun.

There was basically no interaction in the game; I would have played no differently if it was solitaire.

It does seem to be quite highly rated on BGG so we may have been playing it wrong or something?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

General Battuta posted:

Could we play with the new Chaos cards but the old upgrades?

The worst that happens is that someone is totally broken awesome or broken sucky. I'd think it'd be fun, but it could go bad. The rules say no.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

xopods posted:

Because if you mention his name, he might appear.

:iceburn:

If you turn off the lights in the bathroom and say "Sirlin" 5 times in the mirror Broken Loose will come out and offer to teach you Caylus.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

nimby posted:

I'm thinking of trying out a Trade houserule next time for Twilight Imperium, but I'm not sure if it'd make trade overpowered.

We like the Mercenaries that Trade III brings, but I also liked the original downside to fighting wars in that it cancelled trade routes between races. With III, however, you can invade a planet and then next Trade III you can build new trade routes so you get some new income immediately. There is no downside to attacking trade partners except perhaps a breach of trust, but in my group nobody really trusts anyone in games like this anyway.

So I was thinking about letting people getting 1 extra income to a trade route if they've had it for more than 1 turn, to simulate increased stability/trust. Missing out on the extra trade good would also provide a disincentive to attack partners, while returning an actual use to game effects that break trade routes. A 1-value trade route is now also more attractive as it turns into a 2 after a turn. Though the races with a 3 might now be less inclined to give them out, as it'll become a 4.

Is this a good/bad idea?

Gonna pull this from the previous page, since it didn't get an answer.

If you want to put some sting back in breaking trade agreements, try just playing with Trade II rules on the Trade III card. You still get the merc, but, you collect your trade goods *before* making trade agreements.

This would have a couple affects. Firstly, nobody is getting trade goods on turn one. This slows down Hacan a bit (and let's be honest, they're broken atm). Secondly, you might thing twice about breaking trade agreements with combat, if it's going to cost you trade goods on the next Trade activation. And thirdly, players (Hacan) may think twice about executing the secondary of Trade, because of the friction depriving another player of trade goods might cause. TI players have gone to all-out war for less.

The most obvious downside I see to this is it may encourage *less* combat, or at least delay the inevitable wars.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Countblanc posted:

If you turn off the lights in the bathroom and say "Sirlin" 5 times in the mirror Broken Loose will come out and offer to teach you Caylus.

Every word in this sentence terrifies me.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
In regards to Chaos in the Old World, can someone just tell me which cards are most balanced to use for four and five players and I will just always do that? There are tons of arguments on BGG and its all very confusing. At least until my group has played it a lot, I don't have any context for the optional elements in the expansion, like whether I should use both sets of old world cards, or one set, or whatever.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

AgentF posted:

The Horned Rat is the new player and he's interesting and has some very clever tricks up his sleeve. He has the ability to appear where he needs to be out of nowhere, and his Domination-based dial condition is novel and adds to the game. Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen him win a single game. I can't tell whether it's due to being underpowered, or due to my group not quite figuring out how to play him yet.

I recently played a game as the Horned Rat where the other players felt that there was nothing they could really do to prevent me from winning. To be fair that was playing with two newbies and three experienced players. Part of it depends on where conflict occurs - if it focuses on the Empire, the rats have a lot of scope to jump in and out of that territory to score the domination/ruination points and get a lead that's difficult to assail, if done at the right times.

The rats take a bit of finesse, and more than any other race I think they need you to know what the other players are really capable of, but I wouldn't say they're underpowered.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Blamestorm posted:

In regards to Chaos in the Old World, can someone just tell me which cards are most balanced to use for four and five players and I will just always do that? There are tons of arguments on BGG and its all very confusing. At least until my group has played it a lot, I don't have any context for the optional elements in the expansion, like whether I should use both sets of old world cards, or one set, or whatever.

Use the new set of cards. Don't mix and match one set of chaos cards with a different set of upgrade cards. Only play with the old set if everyone plays with it and you leave out the Horned Rat. The game designers knew what they were talking about when they said all that in the rulebook.

The new set is fairly well balanced for any combination of three to five players. Some of the three-player combinations can be pretty crazy, so I wouldn't recommend playing with three with new players, but it's still pretty balanced for experienced players. If you're going to play four players with the new set and you have a bunch of newbies, make sure Khorne and Tzeentch are in the game so that the strategy isn't too different from normal.

Speaking as someone who played the old set several times and has played the news set more times than I can count, the new set of cards is just plain better than the old set of cards, both in balance and in fun. I wouldn't go back to the old ones, even in a four-player no-Rat game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

DontMockMySmock posted:

Use the new set of cards. Don't mix and match one set of chaos cards with a different set of upgrade cards. Only play with the old set if everyone plays with it and you leave out the Horned Rat. The game designers knew what they were talking about when they said all that in the rulebook.

The rulebook actually says you can play with the original cards and the Horned Rat, but you're right that it it's just not as good.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I'm looking for new LCGs/CCGs to get into, can anyone make recommendations? I've heard things about Netrunner and the Game of Thrones one, but not much else. I'm essentially looking for stuff where packs and expansions come with known cards and you can assemble stuff at a reasonable, fixed price rather than relying on a secondary market ala Magic.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

tekz posted:

I'm looking for new LCGs/CCGs to get into, can anyone make recommendations? I've heard things about Netrunner and the Game of Thrones one, but not much else. I'm essentially looking for stuff where packs and expansions come with known cards and you can assemble stuff at a reasonable, fixed price rather than relying on a secondary market ala Magic.

Come to the Netrunner thread, my friend.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Crackbone posted:

That got me thinking.

Card game. Each player has a hand that represents influence in various spheres of power (Police, City Hall, DA, Unions, Drug Cartels, etc). Each sphere has different effects that can be played face up on the table. Police might make an opponent discard, Drug Cartels might force other players to pay him, Unions would have defensive effects, City Hall could peek at upcoming cards, etc.

Then there are "plot cards", which basically create a narrative. They're split into three types: People, scandal, resolution. They're revealed one at a time, come from randomized decks, and everybody gets to play/trade/negotiate inbetween them being revealed. Power cards change the power levels of cards: Carcetti would give City Hall cards +1 power, for example, while Avon would increase drugs. Scandal cards would create alterations to power cards - say Carcetti is bribing the police - now city hall cards can be substituted as police cards, for example. Finally, the resolution card would determine what happens - he gets away with it, or gets caught, or deflects blame onto the Drug Cartels. This is a modifier for end of round scoring - if he gets away with it all City Hall and Police cards score extra, etc.

All of the narrative cards could be examined, buried, or maybe even modified by paying certain costs from whatever influence deck.

You get to build a power base as you choose, and then use those resources to manipulate the narrative and gently caress over other people.

Not enough love for this post. I would buy this game in a heartbeat.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

tekz posted:

Having played both, Netrunner is the superior game by quite a margin. Game of Thrones is clumsy, slow, and slack.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I am having a hell of a time finding people to play some goddamn Netrunner with.

Is there a way to play this online that doesn't suck?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

tekz posted:

I rather like Yomi. Each character comes with their own complete, known deck, and each player only needs one deck to play. In addition, you can play the game for free online to test the field before buying, although you can only play whichever 2 characters are up for free on a given week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deviant posted:

Every word in this sentence terrifies me.

Typical bloody gamer, breaks out in a sweat whenever someone mentions the word "bathroom".

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

tekz posted:

I'm looking for new LCGs/CCGs to get into, can anyone make recommendations?

Summoner Wars is tits and kinda fits your criteria.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Speaking of CitOW, I had a kinda disappointing game last night. It was a pretty exciting game that came down to the wire, as a good game should, and I even won. But, frustratingly, it was an illegitimate victory. I was Slaanesh, and in the first round, without noticing it myself, I moved my figures from Tilea straight into the Badlands, glossing over the Border Princes because the south part of it is pretty unclear. I didn't realize this until the middle of round 3, when Khorne decided to turn his attention to me. I was about to argue that he couldn't make the exact move I'd made, when I realized what I'd done. I pointed it out the the other players, but the whole south part of the map was largely determined by my early moves, and it was too far into the game to start over.

I won in the last round, coming up from behind in the victory points by ruining at the last second, in the Badlands. It was my first victory in Chaos and I was pumped about it, until I remembered that I hadn't really earned it. Bummer.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Yeah the Chaos map makers really went out of their way to hide the fact that it is 9 squares in a line.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

modig posted:

Yeah the Chaos map makers really went out of their way to hide the fact that it is 9 squares in a line.
But it's not?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

But it's not?

Yeah, it's clearly laid out much more like a Hopscotch court, geez.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Tekopo posted:

But it's not?

It is.

http://thurotdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/2-ye-olde-mappe.jpg

Note the arrows. There is no region that points to two others.

Norsca -> Troll Country -> Kislev -> The Empire -> Bretonnia -> Estalia -> Tilea -> The Border Princes -> The Badlands.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's just the resolution order, not inter-connectedness.

Edit: To clarify, these are the connections:

pre:
Norsca - Troll Country - Kislev - Empire - Bretonia - Estalia
                                    |     /      \      /
              The Badlands - Border Princes ----   Tilea

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 25, 2012

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

I am having a hell of a time finding people to play some goddamn Netrunner with.

Is there a way to play this online that doesn't suck?

OCTGN + Game Set + Card Set.

The card set readily available online has the text blurred out to comply with FFG's lawyers.

*cough*PMme*cough*

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Crackbone posted:

That got me thinking.

Card game. Each player has a hand that represents influence in various spheres of power (Police, City Hall, DA, Unions, Drug Cartels, etc). Each sphere has different effects that can be played face up on the table. Police might make an opponent discard, Drug Cartels might force other players to pay him, Unions would have defensive effects, City Hall could peek at upcoming cards, etc.

This made me think of the new game Andean Abyss. Has anyone had a chance to play it yet? 4 factions: drug cartels, government, and then left wing and right wing factions. Hello Gregor reviews are greatest:http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21094/andean-abyss/hello-a-review-of-andean-abyss

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've had a chance to play Andean Abyss live and although it took longer than I expected, the game was very, very good. Everyone (except FARC, but he played badly) was in it until the end and the game was eventually won by the Cartel. The only minor issue with it is that you really need to read up on the Government strategy in the playbook, since otherwise the game can be a cakewalk if the Government player doesn't understand the implication of some of the rules.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Tekopo posted:

I've had a chance to play Andean Abyss live and although it took longer than I expected, the game was very, very good. Everyone (except FARC, but he played badly) was in it until the end and the game was eventually won by the Cartel. The only minor issue with it is that you really need to read up on the Government strategy in the playbook, since otherwise the game can be a cakewalk if the Government player doesn't understand the implication of some of the rules.

How long did your game run? I've only ever played 2 player games that look similar.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Seven hours (with lunch break). I asked one of the guys that had signed up (and had never played before) to find a fourth person to play AA while I was setting up, and he brought back a newbie that had only ever been to two board gaming meetups. Ever. Yeah.

I think with players that are more experienced with wargames, it shouldn't take longer than 4-5. Still, I barely noticed that it took that long since the game itself was so much fun.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Tekopo posted:

That's just the resolution order, not inter-connectedness.

Edit: To clarify, these are the connections:

pre:
Norsca - Troll Country - Kislev - Empire - Bretonia - Estalia
                                    |     /      \      /
              The Badlands - Border Princes ----   Tilea

You just blew my mind. After looking through the rulebook again, I agree that you're right. I've been playing it wrong for years. Those mountain ranges seriously mess with things.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Rudy Riot posted:

This made me think of the new game Andean Abyss. Has anyone had a chance to play it yet? 4 factions: drug cartels, government, and then left wing and right wing factions. Hello Gregor reviews are greatest:http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21094/andean-abyss/hello-a-review-of-andean-abyss

I've finished one play-by-email game of Andean Abyss (as AUC) and am in the middle of another (as the Gov't). I think it's an interesting game, with TONS of interesting negotiation and diplomacy possibilities. The first one seemed to drag on a bit too long, but that may just be because it was by email. I'd love to play it in person some day.

I didn't have Tekopo's experience inasmuch as everyone being in it until the end. At a certain point, it was clear that I could not win without help from the other players, and by that point they did not have any motivation to help me, so that was a bit rough. Also, the Cartels got in a good enough position that they could sort of just coast to a win at the end, and that wasn't very interesting for the Cartels. We were all new players though, and these are things that would improve by experience. I think it's the sort of game that really rewards repeat play.

Tekopo's right about the Gov't, though -- it's a complicated role to play. I'm the gov't and I'm feeling a bit lost! We've only gone a couple of turns, though, so I expect I'll figure it out. Right now FARC is kicking our collective butts.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
I recently discovered that I totally love Ticket to Ride. I have Europe -- where should I go from there, in terms of expansions? I've heard Switzerland is good with 2-3 players, which is generally how I play, so maybe expansion pack volume 2, India and Switzerland?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This may sound like an out of left field game ask about, but has anyone played the Age of Mythology board game? I found it for $9 at my local comic shop and bought because it was a heavy box with 300 figures and why not. Is this even a fun game, or should I just try to sell it for a little profit (I have a feeling Amazon's new prices are inflated as gently caress)?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Moogs posted:

I recently discovered that I totally love Ticket to Ride. I have Europe -- where should I go from there, in terms of expansions? I've heard Switzerland is good with 2-3 players, which is generally how I play, so maybe expansion pack volume 2, India and Switzerland?

Sure, that would be fine. I highly recommend the Asia map pack, too, especially the "Team Asia" side. The team game is really interesting -- in my experience, Team Asia games are intense, nerve-wracking, and sometimes hilarious.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
What do people think of Imperial 2030? My friend got it for his birthday and we fell asleep reading the rules. Are there any tips for streamlining gameplay?

Also, dumb question, but Space Alert's CD can be played in a laptop, right? Is there an MP3 available online? Do people make custom tracks?

Big Grunty Secret fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 26, 2012

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Also, dumb question, but Space Alert's CD can be played in a laptop, right? Is there an MP3 available online? Do people make custom tracks?

Yes, yes, yes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What do people think of Imperial 2030? My friend got it for his birthday and we fell asleep reading the rules. Are there any tips for streamlining gameplay?

There is an Android app for it. Dunno how good it is, though: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boarbeard&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5ib2FyYmVhcmQiXQ..

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Deviant posted:

The card set readily available online has the text blurred out to comply with FFG's lawyers.

Nothing quite so litigious, it's just that FFG have said they're fine with it if people keep the cards blurred for 6 months and then release unblurred versions, and people don't want to provoke them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

You can just play the MP3s on your digital laptop player of choice. My group has actually discovered it is really fun to put it on a fullscreen media player with some kind of robotic Visualize effect. Makes the Computer very Computery.

But yeah Czech Games has the MP3s available for free download from their website. Both rulebooks too, and in multiple languages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

gnome7 posted:

You can just play the MP3s on your digital laptop player of choice. My group has actually discovered it is really fun to put it on a fullscreen media player with some kind of robotic Visualize effect. Makes the Computer very Computery.

I personally use an iPod plugged into an iHome. They fit in the box, too, so it's more convenient to travel with.

• Locked thread