Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Just took a sample of my Northern Brewer all grain Kolsch kit. It's going to be awesome. Going to give it another week of fermentation (it's at 2 now) and bottle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fullroundaction posted:

Quick question: due to mistakes and circumstances out of my control I have active yeast smackpacks that I need to use right away but don't really have the time before I go on vacation. I can brew both batches tonight but I'm not going to be able to pitch one of the yeasts until Sunday so I have time to get a starter going (it's a highgrav).

If I brew all the wort tonight there should be no reason I can't just let it sit until Sunday before pitching yeast into it right? Am I worried about nothing?

It probably too late to help you, but thought I'd chime in. As others said you should just those activated but unopened yeast packs in the fridge. Indefinitely. If you're brewing within a couple days I would just pitch the yeast in the smaller brew and make the started for your big beer, as planned. I use washed yeast that in some cases is a year or more old with no issues. Yeast goes dormant when there's nothing to eat.

As far as leaving wort over the weekend, the Australians throw the kettle lid on after brew is done and let it cool naturally. I would also probably cover the lid to kettle seal with aluminum foil to prevent stuff drifting in. I have pitched yeast up to 40 hours after brewing and a few times after 20 hours before I got my chiller. Due to my small chiller it still takes me at least a couple hours to get wort cool enough to pitch. drat you 78* groundwater!

tl;dr the yeast will be fine, the wort will probably also be fine.

Nice to see this thread so active. :)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jo3sh posted:

Is your bottle in the fridge? If so, that gauge is effectively telling you that you have some gas. How much is a mystery, but you have some.

Ding ding. I clearly seem to have forgotten the chapter on gases from high school chemistry.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Thanks for all the feedback guys. We decided to brew the Gose and Mead tonight and get the starter going for our Saison which we will brew Sunday (right before we leave on vacation). As long as the lacto I pitched into the Gose is active this weekend and we have no messy blowoffs life will be good.

Next time I'll know not to panic about popped liquid yeast :)

e: Bonus spice blend pic: http://i.imgur.com/nzHOv.jpg

We have no idea what we are doing but we sure shoved a lot of crap into that bag :party:

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 27, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

Ding ding. I clearly seem to have forgotten the chapter on gases from high school chemistry.

It is high school chemistry, but it's easy to forget when the second dial is put on the tank like it's something meaningful rather than just a binary "is the cylinder empty yet" indicator.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
You could weigh the bottle empty to get a tare weight and then just weigh the tank to see how much gas you have.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I think the smack pack thingy is like a tiny starter, basically a small amount of sugar and yeast nutrient. It gets the yeast active so your ferment starts slightly faster, but you aren't going to see any appreciable increase in cell count the way you would with a full-size starter--which is the real point of making a starter, IMO.

Yeah, first cell division happens at roughly 8 hours +/- depending on yeast strain. Also, there is not enough nutrients to allow for starter activity in a smack pack. It's more of a guarantee that your yeast is still alive and kicking if the pack swells, however.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

e: Bonus spice blend pic: http://i.imgur.com/nzHOv.jpg

We have no idea what we are doing but we sure shoved a lot of crap into that bag :party:

Is that for the Gose? I see star anise, cloves, but what are the crystalline things? Candied ginger?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like raisins to me.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Galler posted:

Looks like raisins to me.

Ahh, that they do.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Got my caps from Bottlemark and they look great

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wow that really does look fantastic. Nice logo too! I like the idea of keeping everything on the bottle cap so that you don't have to clean anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
In theory I just pick the cylinder up every once in a while. But usually I just run out of gas at an inappropriate time.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wow that really does look fantastic. Nice logo too! I like the idea of keeping everything on the bottle cap so that you don't have to clean anything.

Yup, super easy and cheap too.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jacobey000 posted:

Where do I get labels like that? That is infinitely better than the labels I use on the side of my bottles that tend to come off at the drop of a hat, and I want these on all my bottles from now on.

Vira
Mar 6, 2007
I know this is more of a beer thread but if there is anyone familiar with wine making, I somehow accidently left my packet of melolactic culture in a supply bag for a month with out refrigeration, which was for the most part was at 68 degrees fahrenheit. The shelf life is six months refrigerated but I have no idea how critical the refrigeration is. Would it still keep for a month in that temp?

Vira fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 28, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I have zero wine experience, and recognize nothing there beyond "..lacto culture" but I'd guess some of it I still alive, you could try throwing together a starter to get The viable cells up to a decent number?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Where do I get labels like that? That is infinitely better than the labels I use on the side of my bottles that tend to come off at the drop of a hat, and I want these on all my bottles from now on.

mewse posted:

Got my caps from Bottlemark and they look great

Jacobey000 posted:

Going to guess Bottlemark.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Galler posted:

Bottlemark did my printed caps, the "biere de chateau picard" caps were done with small applied labels

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

crazyfish posted:

mewse posted:

Bottlemark did my printed caps, the "biere de chateau picard" caps were done with small applied labels

Correct, they are the .75" round form OnlineLabels.com

When you order a pack, they provide a label maker on their website that is basically the only way to get 'good' results. When you account goes to the 'free' version the only difference is it prints a 'buy this you dumb butt' on the bottom two rows. I ordered 250 sheets, and there is 108 per sheet. I couldn't care less if I don't erk out all of them.

Yeah, sorry - I should have said something about 'labeling the cap' is x1000 easier.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jacobey000 posted:

Correct, they are the .75" round form OnlineLabels.com
Staples also carries 3/4" round Avery labels in any color you want (unless you want white) if you're more into do-it-yourself.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

CapnBry posted:

Staples also carries 3/4" round Avery labels in any color you want (unless you want white) if you're more into do-it-yourself.

This is what I generally use, there's a word template for them and they come in sheets of 24 so it's really convenient. I get them in white from Amazon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You can also look at a 3/4" hole punch and a sticker maker from a craft store. I am also tempted to try embossing bottle caps with my wife's kit. All it takes is a stamp, embossing powder, and a heat gun.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Round label crew checking in.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I just sharpie the cap with some initials and maybe a batch number. :effort:

If I ever end up doing something I want to look nice then I'll try out those Grogtags.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Making cider today, and i forgot to pick up any yeast nutrient when I was at the shop. Think it will be okay?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Making cider today, and i forgot to pick up any yeast nutrient when I was at the shop. Think it will be okay?

It'll be just fine; I've made cider several times without nutrient.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
You can add it the next day or two after pitching too.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

My first brew in a bag tastes really great. It's like a good American Pale, verging on IPA. There is a little bit of residual sweetness I do not like on the finish, however. The grain bill was as such (this was a 2.5 gallon batch):

6 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal 20
4 oz carapils

Is this sweetness from the Carapils? Or could it be because my mash temp was on the higher end? (Mashed at 158). Planning on brewing it again and mashing a little lower but wondering if I should change up the percents a little bit.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

global tetrahedron posted:

My first brew in a bag tastes really great. It's like a good American Pale, verging on IPA. There is a little bit of residual sweetness I do not like on the finish, however. The grain bill was as such (this was a 2.5 gallon batch):

6 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal 20
4 oz carapils

Is this sweetness from the Carapils? Or could it be because my mash temp was on the higher end? (Mashed at 158). Planning on brewing it again and mashing a little lower but wondering if I should change up the percents a little bit.

I mash around 149-151 for IPAs and 152 for pale ales. What was your FG?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

Club brew day today. I made a 'farmhouse brown' that came out with a pretty dang nice wort. Hit my OG on the nose even though my mash was off a touch cool and my sparge was effed up.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Jacobey000 posted:

Club brew day today. I made a 'farmhouse brown' that came out with a pretty dang nice wort. Hit my OG on the nose even though my mash was off a touch cool and my sparge was effed up.

Neat, what yeast did you use?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I was thinking of using star anise extract in a beer. Ingredients of it are alcohol (68%), water, and oil of anise. I'm testing it out in other bottled beers to figure out how much would go into a 5-gallon batch, but beyond that, I was wonder if I should add it in the mash, the boil, post-boil, or when I go to keg.

I'd love to hear from those of you who've used oil extracts in their beers.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

tesilential posted:

I mash around 149-151 for IPAs and 152 for pale ales. What was your FG?

1.012? I suppose that means that flavor wasn't the mash temp then? I heard that high mash temps lead to high FGs. Is this erroneous?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CapnBry posted:

Ugh, it took me two hours of putzing around with the template in order to get them to work properly with my printer, and it still prints off to one side.

Does anyone know offhand whether I can use standard caps with 500mL Hacker-Pschorr bottles?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If I recall Avery lets you upload designs on their website for all of their label templates. I've had much greater success using their tool to generate sheets than trying to do it in Word/OOo.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

fullroundaction posted:

If I recall Avery lets you upload designs on their website for all of their label templates. I've had much greater success using their tool to generate sheets than trying to do it in Word/OOo.
I'll have to bookmark that for my next batch, especially since they can generate QR codes right in the editor (and that's the design I use).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Galler posted:

One more "yay Bottlemark" response to throw in, too. It was a little spendy (I paid like $30 for 200 caps) but considering I was having a photograph printed on bottlecaps for a special brew I wanted to give out, it didn't really sting that much. They turned the order around in a reasonable amount of time, too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

global tetrahedron posted:

1.012? I suppose that means that flavor wasn't the mash temp then? I heard that high mash temps lead to high FGs. Is this erroneous?

No, you're right, higher mash temp generally leads to higher finishing gravity and a fuller body.

The crystal malt is probably responsible for most of your sweetness. I wouldn't use more than 8oz in a full 5 gallon batch for a pale ale, let alone 2.5 gallon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Docjowles posted:

No, you're right, higher mash temp generally leads to higher finishing gravity and a fuller body.

The crystal malt is probably responsible for most of your sweetness. I wouldn't use more than 8oz in a full 5 gallon batch for a pale ale, let alone 2.5 gallon.

Ah, gotcha. Doesn't taste bad, just doesn't taste like what I was going for. I'll try mashing lower and using like 4 oz of Crystal next time, then.