Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I grew up with mostly black people growing up so I don't care what you guys think about the "n word" because I am lighter skinned.

I can't stop listening to Kendrick Lamars new album. So good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I think its more about that no one seems to like you and you only have contributed to this thread in a negative way and your casual use of "friend of the family" is just another example of why you and this thread/forum/life don't mesh

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Bstyles posted:

I grew up with mostly black people growing up so I don't care what you guys think about the "n word" because I am lighter skinned.

Dude I used to think your terrible posting was sort of gimmicky and cute so I let it slide, but you're a giant piece of poo poo and should gently caress off. Also you're not "lighter skinned" you're white and you're a walking stereotype.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bstyles posted:

I can't stop listening to Kendrick Lamars new album. So good.

We're all so fortunate you came back after that totally unjust banning to post this loving deep rear end insight.

PS growing up with black people doesn't give you license to say that word. Even if your alleged "black friends"
say it is ok, that doesn't mean you can go to any public place and start using it and expect not to be called out for being an idiot/piece of poo poo.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

As a dude who is incredibly white but grew up listening to hip hop I don't really know how to weigh in on white people co-opting black culture.

But I still think you're the worst poster bstyles and I can't wait until you're permabanned

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Getting away from bad poster chat, here's a leak from Meek's new album:

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/meek-mill-tony-s-story-pt-2-song.1044823.html

It's a sequel to one of my favorite songs of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhyYT_8joco

Hope this album holds up to all the buzz Meek's built

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

Yea I think Victory Light slowed down a bit but he's consistently funny as gently caress

Also I really hate to be that dude but I JUUUUST now started listenin to Black Hippy after getting Kendricks album. Anyone have any suggestions for Q and Ab-Soul? I know theres something like every other page but I figure most of yall like them enough to re-post anything you got.

Q's 'Setbacks' and 'Habits & Contradictions' are both great; there's a free tape for mosta Setbacks if you want to check it. Do not get the earlier poo poo, it is bad. (Basically everyone in TDE takes a massive leap forward circa 2009-10)

Soul, basically everything Soul does is mad consistent, but I'd single out 'Longterm 2' and 'Control System' as particularly good; again all the Longterm tapes are free.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Grant Eff posted:

Getting away from bad poster chat, here's a leak from Meek's new album:

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/meek-mill-tony-s-story-pt-2-song.1044823.html

It's a sequel to one of my favorite songs of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhyYT_8joco

Hope this album holds up to all the buzz Meek's built

Its not as bad as I thought it would be actually.

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

Wezlar posted:

As a dude who is incredibly white but grew up listening to hip hop I don't really know how to weigh in on white people co-opting black culture.

But I still think you're the worst poster bstyles and I can't wait until you're permabanned

You weigh in by not contributing your dumb rear end tripe white boy opinion because it isn't your place to say anything

Like drat bstyles how are you a worse poster than I am.

Speaking of ignorant poo poo I've been watching Webbie videos all morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tKq8QUVw
Webbie teaches us how to smoke weed in the hotel room without getting fined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lto8gXpuqjo
Webbie tells us about his average day.
"Feel like a Bentley day.. Feel like a Bentley day. No that was a little breeze. Might pull out the $150,000 drop top."

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

That Big Ghost review for Good Kid was really funny but I think his comparison of J. Cole and Drake is way off. The only thing they have in common(besides being light skinned like Bstyles) is that they mention women. Drake doesn't just mention them though. His whole career is based on catering to them. Also, he's always depressed or so insecure with his decisions with women that he has to cry about it all the time. Lastly, his flow is stale. It RARELY.... R A R E L Y changes.

Back to Good Kid though, I think it suffered the same small plight of Lupe's - better production. However, it is cohesive and lyrical as gently caress. I'm afraid my dude Lupe is going to be surpassed in lyrical prowness here soon. I say album 2 Kendrick takes the cake as my favorite lyricist. But Royce is still spittin too though. And it's good to see all of these albums starting drop from new artist.

On another note, has anyone checked out Mackle-Crazy Hands-More's album? He and MGK got XL ratings so I'm very suspect of that company now...

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

John Brown posted:

That Big Ghost review for Good Kid was really funny but I think his comparison of J. Cole and Drake is way off. The only thing they have in common(besides being light skinned like Bstyles) is that they mention women. Drake doesn't just mention them though. His whole career is based on catering to them. Also, he's always depressed or so insecure with his decisions with women that he has to cry about it all the time. Lastly, his flow is stale. It RARELY.... R A R E L Y changes.

Back to Good Kid though, I think it suffered the same small plight of Lupe's - better production. However, it is cohesive and lyrical as gently caress. I'm afraid my dude Lupe is going to be surpassed in lyrical prowness here soon. I say album 2 Kendrick takes the cake as my favorite lyricist. But Royce is still spittin too though. And it's good to see all of these albums starting drop from new artist.

On another note, has anyone checked out Mackle-Crazy Hands-More's album? He and MGK got XL ratings so I'm very suspect of that company now...

Your boy lupe was surpassed a long time ago, "par." Also I'm pretty sure you're a Bstyles alt account

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I have nothing but affection for rap and this thread but sometimes I am not sure if I am reading a rap thread or a wrestling thread. The language and rhetoric used is so similar, it catches me off guard sometimes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Drake, J Cole, and Lupe are all on majors and not making coke music. So they get compared as lyrical prodigies. They all fall short and nothing more than hypebeasts. Drake can rap but he's a simp. J Cole is getting owned by Diggy Simmons. Literally LOL.
Lupe...

edit: Lupe has more lyrical weight than the rest though. He's not living off co-signs and fake label friends.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 26, 2012

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

doctor thodt posted:

So it turns out Dreams & Nightmares has a few solid tracks but is ultimately nothing special. Oh well.

shocking news to absolutely nobody. whatever tiny, lovely spark meek had was snuffed by rick ross into creating horrible poo poo like "maybach curtains".

also the last like 5 pages of this thread... lol

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

temple posted:

J Cole is getting owned by Diggy Simmons. Literally LOL.

I completely disagree. Diggy can't rap for poo poo. I don't understand why J. Cole is wasting his time with this tween who can't make a better diss song than am on-stage freestyle. This whole beef is senseless though.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 26, 2012

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
ayo gently caress jay electronica

act 2 is not coming out this year

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

atrus50 posted:

ayo gently caress jay electronica

act 2 is not coming out this year

According to Questlove, the reason Jay Electronica's record isn't coming out is because Jay-Z doesn't hear any singles on it. So he's going to sit on it until he can figure out how to market it.

Which is terrible, because I love the idea of a big, dense concept record rather than a roster of club hits.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So the OST for Man with the Iron Fists is *pretty* legit. The production is amazing, the songs are very varied and it doesn't seem as I'd they made the album FOR the movie (although they probably did). Shoot, I forgot how much I miss Ghost and Method.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

obi_ant posted:

So the OST for Man with the Iron Fists is *pretty* legit. The production is amazing, the songs are very varied and it doesn't seem as I'd they made the album FOR the movie (although they probably did). Shoot, I forgot how much I miss Ghost and Method.
How do you kiss Ghost? Dude is on everything. I agree though, it's pretty good. There are a few songs I skip but its a soundtrack so that's not unexpected.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like most of the rap tracks from the OST, haven't checked out the score yet. I'm listening to it on Spotify, a few songs are blacked out (such as White Dress and the Wiz track). It is good to hear from Method Man again, but I was hoping to hear more RZA production, especially on the Wu stuff. Not very familiar with Frank Dukes but he did a good job anyway. Some of those beats even sound like RZA joints especially "Six Directions of Boxing."

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I think GKMC has its moments, and its def more enjoyable than a lot of fluff club bullshit, but it has some areas that make it lull too. Money Trees is drat near flawless, and The Homies is a real highlight. In terms of soft tracks Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe is a winner too. There's a few skippers but by and large I think k dot has a great start to a long career if he pulls it right.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The only tracks I would skip are Poetic Justice and maybe Real. Oh and the ends of lots of tracks that devolve into MORE voicemail messages. It is a pretty stacked album otherwise but far from perfect. The Dre verse on 'Compton' is pretty bad and feels out-of-place/tacked on but K dot and the Just Blaze beat make up for it.

The bonus tracks are pretty high quality and fill the gaps, especially 'The Recipe' - I get that it doesn't really fit with the story of the album but it would've been nice to put on anyway.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

obi_ant posted:

I sorta agree. It has a killer Gibbs feature on it and the Wu track on it bangs. The Archer is pretty sick too

I know Meek Mill is a joke mixtape rapper or whatever but his debut is pretty impressive first time through

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Mero reviews GKMC

http://victory-light.blogspot.com/2012/10/omg-this-album-is-classic-best-musical.html

Its not....good but I think he pretty much hates everything that comes out

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Mero reviews GKMC

http://victory-light.blogspot.com/2012/10/omg-this-album-is-classic-best-musical.html

This dude's writing style is awful

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

I'M NOT MAD AT IT BUT IT'S DEFINITELY PUSSY EATING IN THE CABANA TUNEZ B.

Lol. Also he lays in Dre pretty well for that weak rear end (allegedly ghostwritten by Kendrick?) verse on Compton. And dude does have a point about some of Kendrick's more obnoxious/gimmicky flows. The writing style is meant to be like that btw... it isn't a "serious review."

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
God drat Sean P's new album is nice. It drops the 30th.

Also heres Seanwuar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al_acQUUrIQ

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
That video rules, Mic Tyson rules.

it's also notable for being having a song with a pumpkinhead feature, which is a name i haven't even heard for like 10 years

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Deadbeat Dad posted:

God drat Sean P's new album is nice. It drops the 30th.
Best rapper alive.

Saw him at the RhEINKULTUR festival a couple of years ago. Sadly he mostly played slow songs.

This is pure dope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OUUAYHgCA

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

cryme posted:

That video rules, Mic Tyson rules.

it's also notable for being having a song with a pumpkinhead feature, which is a name i haven't even heard for like 10 years

lol.. the last time i remember pumpkinhead is from the misanthropist's album which was loving solid

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
pumkinhead owns but tbh i can't name a single song/album of his

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I wish the new gucci tape was nothing but the intro on repeat

the rest is meh

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

My favorite from Good Kid is by the part 2 of Peer Pressure. I was stuck at that song for a few hours before I decided to move on.

As for the extras, Collect Calls and Black Boy Fly are amazing.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Morphix posted:

I wish the new gucci tape was nothing but the intro on repeat

the rest is meh

Yeah, kind of feeling like this. The first couple days I was excited about "Baby Wipes" and "Fawk the World" but the rest of the tape is pretty unexciting

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mero reviews GKMC

Mero is a fuckin clown lmao http://victory-light.blogspot.com/2012/10/random-slander.html

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I was always curious what americans would say if they saw german gangster rap. You know, cause we pretty much stole that from you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CK-vYlurec

To give some context, this is one of the most famous rappers we currently have around. He was crazy successful when he came up. "Haftbefehl" means arrest warrant, so you can guess what he is talking about.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It is hard to take white people wearing 'Thug Life' gear seriously (regardless of how 'thug' they really are) but that's all I'm gonna say cause it's pretty unfair to judge rap when you can't understand the lyrics.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tin Tim posted:

I was always curious what americans would say if they saw german gangster rap. You know, cause we pretty much stole that from you.

To give some context, this is one of the most famous rappers we currently have around. He was crazy successful when he came up. "Haftbefehl" means arrest warrant, so you can guess what he is talking about.

His meticulously plucked and waxed eyebrows are OG

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Well to start the camera man has crazy hands apparently.

I think there's too huge of a cultural difference for most of us to adequately judge this. I do notice that I don't see many blacks in the gangsta rap vids I've seen from places like Germany and Australia.

Also, if you're so street why not shoot a video in the hood like LEP. The German Times Square throws off the mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/GUNPLAYMMG/status/262169621174554624

He's baaaack! He also mentioned a new mixtape, Cops & Robbers, while also reinforcing that he will release his album, Medellin. Well, we'll see!

EDIT: I have been listening to Bogota Rich again over the last day, so maybe that's why I'm excited to see this. Cause I need as much Gunplay before he goes to jail, ODs or is shot to death.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 27, 2012

• Locked thread