Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

SeanBeansShako posted:

God I still wish LastEmperor finished that ETW LP. That was pretty fun to read.

I wasn't aware that he had not finished more than one LP. That certainly explains his big red title.

Was I the only one that loved TRIARI? I'm a hypocrite though, since I liked the Japanese responses in Shogun 2 far more than the English ones that they put in for Fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

shalcar posted:

I wasn't aware that he had not finished more than one LP. That certainly explains his big red title.

Was I the only one that loved TRIARI? I'm a hypocrite though, since I liked the Japanese responses in Shogun 2 far more than the English ones that they put in for Fall.

TRIARII comes up every time Rome is mentioned. When the Rome 2 megathread goes up I'd fully expect to see TRIARII or some variation thereof in the name.

For some reason the Eastern factions' MIGH-TY GENERAL! always gets me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also, yeah old school Shogun/2 announcer rules. gently caress that guy in Fall Of The Samurai I use a mod to shut him the hell up.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Man Whore posted:

Boy,the supposed smarter AI in Darthmod sure is smart. :downs:

Venice now has some lovely city in America.

Has this ever happened in history? Two nations trading distant provinces? I guess it's happened to the odd island, and the Netherlands traded somewhere in the spice islands for manhattan but has anyone ever traded a whole city?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Has this ever happened in history? Two nations trading distant provinces? I guess it's happened to the odd island, and the Netherlands traded somewhere in the spice islands for manhattan but has anyone ever traded a whole city?

Happened all the time with the big three (Britain, Spain and France) in the Carribean after each war.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My stupid accent of choice is the Cretan Archers guy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gimnbo posted:

TRIARII comes up every time Rome is mentioned. When the Rome 2 megathread goes up I'd fully expect to see TRIARII or some variation thereof in the name.

For some reason the Eastern factions' MIGH-TY GENERAL! always gets me.
And the Barbarian Mercenaries shouting, "BARBARIAN MERCENARIES!!!"

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress that guy in Fall Of The Samurai I use a mod to shut him the hell up.

If anything, I find that announcer to be absolutely hilarious. SIR THEIR MEN ARE RUNNING FROM YOU LIKE HEATHENS FROM A PREACHER. That never gets old :allears:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Weirdly accented over-the-top voice actors in Total War games are almost a staple by now.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

primelaw posted:

If anything, I find that announcer to be absolutely hilarious. SIR THEIR MEN ARE RUNNING FROM YOU LIKE HEATHENS FROM A PREACHER. That never gets old :allears:

DAMNED LILLY LIVERED COWARDS! YER MEN ARE RUNNIN SIR!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The entire Carthage opening in Rome is just the worst thing, because you know you should be taking it seriously but the guy just sounds so funny when he does it.

That and the fact that they had the squeaky voiced teen do the Roman announcements "the DAaY is ouuuuurs" indeed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

primelaw posted:

He keeps talking about allies when there are none, I will not have a mad man telling me stuff dammit!

The awkward British VA's doing Japanese engrish in Fall should get a mention too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

That and the fact that they had the squeaky voiced teen do the Roman announcements "the DAaY is ouuuuurs" indeed.

Wasn't there was a line of dialogue in RTW where the dudes voice breaks mid-sentence?

I remember cringing every time I heard it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Josef bugman posted:

The entire Carthage opening in Rome is just the worst thing, because you know you should be taking it seriously but the guy just sounds so funny when he does it.

The Greek dude was also weird sounding

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The best bit about Rome Total War was the pre battle speech by your General (if you were Roman). Sometimes, due to various reasons, said speech would be a hilariously incoherent mess.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Flippycunt posted:

Wasn't there was a line of dialogue in RTW where the dudes voice breaks mid-sentence?

I remember cringing every time I heard it.

Greek Guy: "The gods be praised! The enemy general is KEWD!" Voice breaks right on "killed."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been having an issue with loading Shogun 2. Google says others have as well, but I've yet to find a fix other than running Steam in offline mode. Every time I try to launch, it gets to the splash screen then crashes the game with an error that steam detects I'm running a pirated copy of FotS or using a cheat program.
I've reinstalled and deleted every trace of Shogun 2 from the registry multiple times, but I still get this error. I've used ESF a couple times in the past to mess with some save files, but that's it.
I was actually playing the game just fine earlier in the morning on the same day this started happening.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Gimnbo posted:

Greek Guy: "The gods be praised! The enemy general is KEWD!" Voice breaks right on "killed."

Also: THE DAY IS OWOUUURS. Voice break on "Ours"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

GAUHLS. I HAYT GAUHLS.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SkySteak posted:

The best bit about Rome Total War was the pre battle speech by your General (if you were Roman). Sometimes, due to various reasons, said speech would be a hilariously incoherent mess.

There's a M2TW one which stands out to me: at the end of your general's speech, he finds a snake in his boot and freaks the gently caress out. That's funny already, but the way the game is coded, his men cheer afterwards automatically.

vvv: FUCKIN' HATS MAN, YEAH

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 29, 2012

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

There's a M2TW one which stands out to me: at the end of your general's speech, he finds a snake in his boot and freaks the gently caress out. That's funny already, but the way the game is coded, his men cheer afterwards automatically.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Aside from the fact there is only three or four of them in Shogun 2, I think the General speeches suffer from being too serious.

I want my fact crazed Japanese general to spout to crazy nonsense too!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like the speech in RTW where a general with the 'Philosophically Inclined' trait will say: "Some ask me why we're here. We're here to kill all those bastards over there." :black101:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWwB2zfa8rQ

I've always loved the line at 2:14

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

And, let's be honest. R2TW will give us lovely hats.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Stainless Steel Late Era as the crusader states is fun as gently caress.

I got a night battle and destroyed the fatamid faction leader with a flaming trebuchet rock.

However, for some reason once you start a war the AI armies pop out of the ground so I still get owned. I think its pretty much impossible on Hard/Hard because you are surrounded.

I'm going to restart and load everyone up in a boat and sack rome or go to scotland or something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

concerned mom posted:

I want a return of the ridiculously long list of weird attributes. It was a long time till I learned what a "catamite" even was.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I'm going to go off-topic a bit and talk about Shogun 2's multiplayer again. Earlier Joink asked if I preferred vanilla's MP, or FOTS's, and I said overall I liked vanilla's more. After some time playing both games again, I've come to reverse my opinion. This was originally going to be a big post with lots of words, but I decided being concise is better. If people want more examples or details just ask for it! Anyway, here's why I feel FOTS's MP is better.

Balance: Gonna open it with a big one, which sort of encompasses a lot of subcategories I'll touch on as we go. I feel that, for a casual player, FOTS's gameplay is much more balanced than vanilla's. There is less of an emphasis on veterans in FOTS, whereas in S2 you needed to create at best a level 6 core of melee attack units with Yari Ashigaru using Spear Wall and Hold Firm, or attendants that come as DLC, to catch enemy charges and perform a massed infantry rush on the enemy. The demand of needing veteran units is such that not only are new players immediately at a disadvantage due to how the melee attack and other stats work, but they also lack the investment in time and clan tokens to be competitive even if they have numerical and tactical advantage. In FOTS this problem is lessened as many units are similar in price and good starter units are available quickly, without the need to make an army full of veterans.

Retainers and random drops are also, for the most part, more balanced in FOTS than in S2 simply because they have less of an impact on battle than in S2. In S2 you'll be glad to have Blade Master, World Weary, Untrained Fugu Cook, and Trading Post to nerf your enemy's melee stats while buffing your own and making your army cost effective. In FOTS the only random drop retainer that can cause trouble is Flogging Officer, but even he is only affecting line infantry rather than all veterans or more than one stat.

General skills are much more balanced in FOTS as well, and encourages experimentation. In S2 you pretty much only find Stand and Fight generals with good defensive stats to avoid getting sniped. As a plus, FOTS's skills are also more powerful and retainer-like than S2's the difference being any player could get them.

Lastly, the units. S2 has DLC units up the bum, and attendants are a necessary evil for their price, as I said. FOTS doesn't have DLC units (yet) and the available units are more than capable of doing their job. I wanted to touch more on the rock-paper-scissors of the gameplay, though. Namely that cavalry in S2 is weaker than in FOTS to the point of being almost unnecessary save a few chasers/chargers. Naginatas, including attendants, have a bonus vs. cavalry that makes charges for damage worthless, and bow units are expensive for their low effectiveness. Cavalry in FOTS is a touch too strong, I find, and skirmished troops are too expensive for what they do, but at least the divide between swords, naginatas, spears, bows, and cavalry isn't as pronounced.

Fun: I admit this is subjective as hell but I need to clarify something. I like S2's MP and have sweeter victories against high level players than when I play on FOTS... but these victories come as a result of my enemy lacking the units, veterans or retainers that routinely dominate the really high level play. In FOTS my enemy could be as versatile as he/she pleases, and victories and losses on my part come from their use of units and terrain, not veterans who outcharge, outkill, and outlive mine.

I like to win and don't like to lose, I admit that. However, losses in FOTS always boil down to my poor tactics, not the veterans or retainers my foe has brought (on top of my poor tactics :v: that is). If I outflank a foe and outnumber him, my units should be able to cause at least some wavering rather than meet the brick wall of warcrying monks with 20+ defense who cause massive casualties and didn't even need to maneuver all that much.

Yes, FOTS has many problems and annoying crap (LOS buggery, naval explosions, ironclad ridiculousness), but I find it overall more preferable and fun than S2, even if pulling a win in S2 makes me feel more accomplished.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I want a return of the ridiculously long list of weird attributes. It was a long time till I learned what a "catamite" even was.

A catamite is a barely legal male sex slave.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sylink posted:

However, for some reason once you start a war the AI armies pop out of the ground so I still get owned. I think its pretty much impossible on Hard/Hard because you are surrounded.

This is because Stainless Steel gives the gently caress up on balance or making the game fun and just gives the AI poo poo tonnes of free gold and troops.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

A catamite is a barely legal male sex slave.

I know, I said it was a long time before I knew what it was. Same with the various different historical people that kept turning up.

On that topic did anyone get Pliny the Elder? I like to imagine he gave pluses to diplomacy and minuses to everything else.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Josef bugman posted:

On that topic did anyone get Pliny the Elder? I like to imagine he gave pluses to diplomacy and minuses to everything else.

Higher chance of a volcano erupting maybe?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

concerned mom posted:

And on that note, Jack Lusted has been teasing the TWC forums with some equipment renders:

EDIT

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lusted is working on graphics eh? I can get behind that hardcore.

Yeah, he's the unit design lead, if I recall correctly.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 30, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lusted is working on graphics eh? I can get behind that hardcore.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, I thought I still had Med2 and BC installed but it turns out I'm dumb and uninstalled them at some point. :( Oh, well; time to download 20GB of stuff overnight.

Mindy Tyrone
Mar 16, 2007

:sweden::sweden::sweden::sweden:
:sweden:
I decided to give Empire Total War another spin and so I'm wondering if theres any mods that give further depth to the Native American factions?

Mindy Tyrone
Mar 16, 2007

:sweden::sweden::sweden::sweden:
:sweden:

Sinnlos posted:

Holy cow, this looks fantastic. Only concern is that on this scale battles will take far longer to complete.

Should be worth noting that this is most likely Rome 2's version of the Kyoto siege from Shogun 2. So most battles will probably not take this long, but it looks really promising, especially if they expand the one-time use maps to a few more cities, like Rome, Alexandria and Jerusalem.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mindy Tyrone posted:

I decided to give Empire Total War another spin and so I'm wondering if theres any mods that give further depth to the Native American factions?

Warpath DLC is the most depth you'll get I'm afraid.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Warpath DLC is the most depth you'll get I'm afraid.

Is there any way to get them boats? I know they won't be making ships of the line or anything, but a bunch of canoes would be nice to invade the Caribbean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been having an issue with loading Shogun 2. Google says others have as well, but I've yet to find a fix other than running Steam in offline mode. Every time I try to launch, it gets to the splash screen then crashes the game with an error that steam detects I'm running a pirated copy of FotS or using a cheat program.
I've reinstalled and deleted every trace of Shogun 2 from the registry multiple times, but I still get this error. I've used ESF a couple times in the past to mess with some save files, but that's it.
I was actually playing the game just fine earlier in the morning on the same day this started happening.

This problem magically disappeared. :iiam: Hope it doesn't happen again.

If I remove unit MODs I've downloaded, will it affect my save games at all, or will it just convert any MOD units to the vanilla one they were based off of?