Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lol internet. posted:

Can anyone comment on Chromium? What benefits it has over Chrome?

It's the open-source unbranded version of Chrome, and the situation is comparable to Firefox vs Icecat. See here for the major differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lol internet. posted:

I use both Chrome (on Windows) and Chromium (on Linux). Honestly the most jarring difference between them is that Chromium has no built-in PDF reader. You can get an extension that sort-of helps with that, though

I also find that Chromium is way more stable on Linux than the Linux build of Chrome. Other than that, there really isn't much difference between the two.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

lol internet. posted:

Wikipedia has a pretty solid list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)#Differences_from_Google_Chrome

But in short, there's no built-in flash plugin, no built in PDF reader and chromium is available in most software repositories from start while chrome needs to be manually installed, either through 3rd party repositories or by fetching the package file from their download page.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
When I open a new window, is there a way to make it so the focus will be on the address bar so I can type whatever right in rather than having to click there first?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jyrka posted:

When I open a new window, is there a way to make it so the focus will be on the address bar so I can type whatever right in rather than having to click there first?

That's how my chrome usually behaves (don't need to click), but otherwise you can always resort to ALT+D or F6 if you want to keep your hands on the keyboard.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is there a way to make the History Search not suck? All I want to do is search the titles of previous pages and for the titles to actually show up instead of just the URL.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is there a way to make the History Search not suck? All I want to do is search the titles of previous pages and for the titles to actually show up instead of just the URL.

Better History?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Honestly I find this to be even more irritating to use than the default search. Seems weird that history is so jarringly poor compared to the rest of the browser though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jyrka posted:

If you can live with not having a start page (but use the default "new tab page" with a list of frequently used sites), it will automatically focus the address bar upon opening a new tab.

It's kind of a pickle; sometimes I like having google.com as my start page, where it focuses in the search textbox so I can instantly search (I use my special search box permanently for Wikipedia), other times the default start page with focus in the address bar would be nice. You can't really combine the two.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there any trick in getting gifs to play properly in chrome? Whenever I visit a gif heavy thread the gifs eventually stop animating. If i wait long enough, they'll start up again.

Running version 22.0.1229.94 m on Windows 7.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I don't know where else to ask this so:

Is there any way to get google drive to record the date (and preferably time) documents were uploaded? Does it do this already? I know it records date/time last modified but I'd like to have a record of when all my docs were created.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

ALt+Ctrl+G will bring up the revision history for that document.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there any trick in getting gifs to play properly in chrome? Whenever I visit a gif heavy thread the gifs eventually stop animating. If i wait long enough, they'll start up again.

Running version 22.0.1229.94 m on Windows 7.

Switch tabs, or clicking on them usually works for me, but its still really irritating. Running stable version on windows here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Highlighting them works as well if clicking doesn't.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kri kri posted:

Switch tabs, or clicking on them usually works for me, but its still really irritating. Running stable version on windows here.

FISHMANPET posted:

Highlighting them works as well if clicking doesn't.

Yeah, I've resorted to right clicking>Inspect element and just closing the little window that pops up on the bottom. Usually gets them jumpstarted, but it's super irritating.

Is that something that's fixed in the dev/nightly builds?

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
http://www.labnol.org/software/disable-insecure-content-in-google-chrome/20501/

I want to achieve the OS X equivalent of this. How can I do that?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I finally reinstalled ChromeOS on my cr-48 and holy moley has it improved. Although you only have a psuedo-desktop, you can now save files easily to local storage and Drive (also, NTFS write support for external storage). Networking support has improved greatly, the only thing I don't see it working with is SSL VPN right now.

They also have full remote desktop support now via CRD (Chrome Remote Desktop), and the built-in terminal launches in the browser now.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Winszton posted:

http://www.labnol.org/software/disable-insecure-content-in-google-chrome/20501/

I want to achieve the OS X equivalent of this. How can I do that?

If the command line arguments are the same you can follow one of these solutions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Having a weird issue with Youtube on Chrome recently: the pages all load skewed to the left instead of centered.

Chrome:

IE:

Additionally some videos have been cutting off before they complete, though that resolves itself if I change the quality. Any ideas? The only extensions I have are Fancy SA and AdBlock, and disabling them both does nothing. I also tried emptying my cache, no change.

e: Deleted the cookies for Youtube and it works fine now, so there was something borked in there it seems.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 26, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Crossposting from the GBS youtube thread:

As of yesterday, all YouTube videos in Chrome stop playing about 5% before they actually end. If it's in a playlist, it skips to the next video; if it's a single video, it shows the tiles with related videos. It doesn't happen in Firefox. It happens both for a friend of mine and I, and on multiple computers. Same whether I'm logged in or not.

Chrome is version 22.0.1229.94 m.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there any reason why over the last few weeks version 22.0.1229.96 m on Vista 64 won't render any tabs in the background? Say I'm reading this thread and I middle-click a link, when I eventually get around to looking at the new tab it would just be a frozen version of this page (or sometimes, more bizarrely, a page I had open a long time ago but don't have open anymore) until I switch to another tab and back.

It's annoying when I am reading forums and just go through and open a bunch of threads in new tabs, because they they are all frozen until I switch back and forth between them.

This started about the same time as I noticed GIFs not loading anymore, but that seems pretty common.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Having a weird issue with Youtube on Chrome recently: the pages all load skewed to the left instead of centered.

Chrome:

IE:

Additionally some videos have been cutting off before they complete, though that resolves itself if I change the quality. Any ideas? The only extensions I have are Fancy SA and AdBlock, and disabling them both does nothing. I also tried emptying my cache, no change.

e: Deleted the cookies for Youtube and it works fine now, so there was something borked in there it seems.

That's actually YT's new redesign. Google tends to roll things like that out progressively over long periods of time, so you will just have to get used to it.

EDIT: There is a "Show Feedback" link in the lower right, so I guess you can suggest that they handle the layout differently for full screen browsers.

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 26, 2012

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Are there any half-decent metro themes for Chrome? I kind like that visual aesthetic but I don't have windows 8... yet.

I did some Googling and only turned up a couple really bad ones.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there Chrome add-ons where I can get the definition of a word via context menu? I'm currently using Google Dictionary but it responds whenever I highlight a word which gets kinda annoying. I'd like to highlight word, right-click, select define and have the definition pop-up within the page.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

Vegetable posted:

Are there Chrome add-ons where I can get the definition of a word via context menu? I'm currently using Google Dictionary but it responds whenever I highlight a word which gets kinda annoying. I'd like to highlight word, right-click, select define and have the definition pop-up within the page.
I use the "Context Menu Search" extension, and define a 'search' for dictionary.com. Then I just select some text, right click, and search for its definition on the site.

Mountain Lion also now comes with pop-up dictionary definitions of virtually all text via selecting-> 3 finger tap.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I usually keep a Chrome tab open for my bookmarked threads, and just browse SA from there (clicking on new posts, clicking on "Bookmarked" bookmark from the bookmark bar to get back to the list, click new posts, rinse repeat). I've noticed recently that this behaviour causes the memory usage of the tab (from the Chrome task manager) to grow to crazy, 500+mb levels -- especially after browsing picture or gif-heavy threads. Testing it now, it takes about 7 or 8 pages of the gif thread to hit 500m of memory on the tab. Closing the tab and just opening a new one gets things back under control, but its mildly annoying.

I hadn't really noticed happening so dramatically before, though to be fair I never really checked. The only new extensions I've put on in the last while are a youtube extension and a screenshot extension. Is there anything I can do about this?

edit - 22.0.1229.96, for what its worth

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 31, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does Ad Block really not work as well with Chrome as it does on Firefox?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does Ad Block really not work as well with Chrome as it does on Firefox?

The Chrome version of Adblock Plus (not to be confused with the unrelated AdBlock, for which there is no Firefox version) has finally come out of beta literally a couple of days ago.

I've been using it since I made the switch from Firefox and really saw no difference. They both use the same subscriptions anyway, so I'm not sure how they could be different aside from performance or customization (I don't notice any significant differences in those departments for what it's worth).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Mak0rz posted:

Adblock Plus (not to be confused with the unrelated AdBlock, for which there is no Firefox version) has finally come out of beta literally a couple of days ago.

I've been using it since I made the switch from Firefox and really saw no difference. They both use the same subscriptions anyway, so I'm not sure how they could be different aside from performance or customization (I don't notice any significant differences here)

A while back there was some difference in the access that extensions in chrome had that prevented adblock from working quite as well, but like several versions ago (I think the release channel has even been caught up for a while) they fixed that and it was pretty much the same thing. I'd say at least since the summer.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

memory leak stuff

If anyone else has the same trouble as I detailed above, it's probably AdBlock Plus. It didn't occur to me at first as I've had it installed forever, but the posts above this one reminded me of the new update. Lo and behold, after disabling it all my memory leak issues are gone. There has already been a bug report on the forums, so hopefully they get to that soon. In the mean time I guess I'll give this other extension a shot.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I think the other issue with Adblock Plus was that suscriptions weren't auto-updating. Has that been fixed yet? I moved back to Adblock for the time being.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Magicmat posted:

I use the "Context Menu Search" extension, and define a 'search' for dictionary.com. Then I just select some text, right click, and search for its definition on the site.

Mountain Lion also now comes with pop-up dictionary definitions of virtually all text via selecting-> 3 finger tap.
This works great for me, thanks a ton :-)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The maps on this page: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

On IE10, they have text and graphics that pop up when you put your mouse over them, but in Chrome, they're just static images. It works for me in Chrome in Windows 7, so I can't figure out if it's a Win8 problem, or a Chrome problem. I've done a complete reinstallation of Chrome, cleared cookies, etc., but it still won't work.

I've tried it on the current v22.whatever public release, and on Version 23.0.1271.60 beta-m.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 3, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could go to chrome://flags and try setting everything to software rendering, in case there's some driver issue going on, or maybe play with the Canvas stuff

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Aatrek posted:

The maps on this page: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

On IE10, they have text and graphics that pop up when you put your mouse over them, but in Chrome, they're just static images. It works for me in Chrome in Windows 7, so I can't figure out if it's a Win8 problem, or a Chrome problem. I've done a complete reinstallation of Chrome, cleared cookies, etc., but it still won't work.

I've tried it on the current v22.whatever public release, and on Version 23.0.1271.60 beta-m.
Dropdown menus on ESPN.com aren't working either and some people are having issues with these on Windows 7 too. These were working on Chrome in Windows 8 for me when I first installed it so it seems to be a Chrome issue of some sort but I can't figure it out either.

Edit: Both work in Canary, not sure about Dev, guess it's a matter of waiting for the updates to trickle down now.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 3, 2012

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I've just switched to Chrome and one thing is bugging me. I don't use the browser maximized, and I want it to be in the same place every time when opening. When I re-open the browser after closing, it is staying in the same place left to right, but top to bottom it is opening too short. The top is about a half inch down from the top of the screen and the bottom is about a half inch up from the taskbar. I'm using Windows 7, so I can just drag the top up and it will "snap" into place but I'd rather it just opened that way. I've tried repeatedly closing the browser by the X and also by the menu - Exit option.

Looking around online, this seems to have been a complaint of several people for the past few years. I found someone saying to go into the Local State file in the Chrome User Data folder and edit "window_placement" but whatever I change, it seems to make no difference. Can anyone shed some light?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

beejay posted:

I've just switched to Chrome and one thing is bugging me. I don't use the browser maximized, and I want it to be in the same place every time when opening. When I re-open the browser after closing, it is staying in the same place left to right, but top to bottom it is opening too short. The top is about a half inch down from the top of the screen and the bottom is about a half inch up from the taskbar. I'm using Windows 7, so I can just drag the top up and it will "snap" into place but I'd rather it just opened that way. I've tried repeatedly closing the browser by the X and also by the menu - Exit option.

Looking around online, this seems to have been a complaint of several people for the past few years. I found someone saying to go into the Local State file in the Chrome User Data folder and edit "window_placement" but whatever I change, it seems to make no difference. Can anyone shed some light?

If you snap the window like that it counts as being maximized and will not return to that size upon reopen. If you don't want to try and get it to the maximized size by hand I can recommend winsplit revolution, a enhanced version of the builtin win7 window managing features.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ChetReckless posted:

If anyone else has the same trouble as I detailed above, it's probably AdBlock Plus. It didn't occur to me at first as I've had it installed forever, but the posts above this one reminded me of the new update. Lo and behold, after disabling it all my memory leak issues are gone. There has already been a bug report on the forums, so hopefully they get to that soon. In the mean time I guess I'll give this other extension a shot.

Thanks for that! I was just coming in to ask if there was a bad memory leak in the latest version of Chrome since I was getting 1.5GB tabs in 15 minutes of browsing, and it was terrible on my 2 GB of RAM netbook. Disabling ABP fixed it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Thanks for that! I was just coming in to ask if there was a bad memory leak in the latest version of Chrome since I was getting 1.5GB tabs in 15 minutes of browsing, and it was terrible on my 2 GB of RAM netbook. Disabling ABP fixed it.

More info, from the AdBlock Plus forums:

quote:

FWIW I was able to prevent this leak by un-checking "Disable inline text ads".

Removing and re-installing the extension has the same effect... "Disable inline text ads" is unchecked afterwards.

So, therein lies the leak, and that explains why remove and reinstall "fixes" it.

edit - added link to forums

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know where the "Clear Auto-opening Settings" setting is, now? I have an issue that requires me to delete something (video files aren't loading, only asking to be saved) and I need to fix this.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 5, 2012