Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
Anyone have any idea when Columbus OH is supposed to get LTE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

No. You can do something like that for 6 months with a normal plan, but they won't put you back on SERO, and they won't go more than 6 months.

So my best options are to let a friend/family member use the account for a year or just suck it up and pay a monthly tax basically to keep the account mine until I get back? About what I was figuring but sucks all the same to hear it.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
Just a heads up for interested SERO Premium ($50 a month) customers- I was able to order a Galaxy Note 2 with no issues via telesales. They even waived the upgrade fee ($36) and the shipping ($12) due to free shipping on the website.

Now, the wait begins for Rochester, NY to get some LTE. I see Syracuse is getting some action so lets hope we're next.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dameius posted:

So my best options are to let a friend/family member use the account for a year or just suck it up and pay a monthly tax basically to keep the account mine until I get back? About what I was figuring but sucks all the same to hear it.
Well, be sure put it on Seasonal Standby for six months so you only have to pay for the other six.

And, by the way, if this is a military deployment you can do it for the whole year no problem.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

td4guy posted:

Well, be sure put it on Seasonal Standby for six months so you only have to pay for the other six.

And, by the way, if this is a military deployment you can do it for the whole year no problem.

This might not work. My little sister did that with an old SERO account (after they had phased it out, and before SERO premium), and they gave her a lot of grief before putting it back on SERO, saying it was a discontinued plan and that she had to pick a normal plan. This might have changed now, with SERO premium, but it's worth asking/getting a note on the account, just in case.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How's the Jelly Bean update for the SGS3? I haven't heard anybody discuss it. Are the notification toggles still way too big so you have to scroll them?

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How's the Jelly Bean update for the SGS3? I haven't heard anybody discuss it. Are the notification toggles still way too big so you have to scroll them?

I just updated mine tonight, I haven't really noticed that much of a difference on the toggles so far. Mostly I've seen some minor cosmetic changes on TouchWiz, and the OS seems to respond a bit faster.

If you don't want to wait till the OTA update hits your phone, http://www.qbking77.com/manually-update-to-official-jelly-bean-android-411-on-the-sprint-samsung-galaxy-s-iii.html has a good guide on how to manually update the S3 to Jelly Bean. You do need a microSD card to store the OS update, but the overall process from downloading to install maybe takes 30 mins to get done, and there's no data wipe involved either.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Grumpwagon posted:

This might not work. My little sister did that with an old SERO account (after they had phased it out, and before SERO premium), and they gave her a lot of grief before putting it back on SERO, saying it was a discontinued plan and that she had to pick a normal plan. This might have changed now, with SERO premium, but it's worth asking/getting a note on the account, just in case.
I've had no problem putting a SERO line on Seasonal Standby and taking it back off. Employee Care has always been awesome for me. I bet regular Sprint people would give you grief though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ender.uNF posted:

Don't read too much into the market stuff... If you wonder why they are announcing some Podunk towns, it boils down to:

* They are part of another Sprint market and are getting NV anyway, but they get to claim PR victories
* The backhaul provider happened to finish the fiber rollouts and the crews/equipment were already in the area anyway
* A delay in permits, etc is causing the main market to be slow to start so they are working the periphery first

I don't actually know if they're getting LTE before Omaha, it would just make sense that they do since Omaha doesn't exist on Sprint's maps or something. Maybe it's like getting the mail on the way home after work, like the last thing you do before going inside and pouring a drink.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Soda Addict posted:

I just updated mine tonight, I haven't really noticed that much of a difference on the toggles so far. Mostly I've seen some minor cosmetic changes on TouchWiz, and the OS seems to respond a bit faster.

If you don't want to wait till the OTA update hits your phone, http://www.qbking77.com/manually-update-to-official-jelly-bean-android-411-on-the-sprint-samsung-galaxy-s-iii.html has a good guide on how to manually update the S3 to Jelly Bean. You do need a microSD card to store the OS update, but the overall process from downloading to install maybe takes 30 mins to get done, and there's no data wipe involved either.

I used that method too. So far the only huge difference I'm noticing is Google Now. It seems like it could be really neat, but to make it work well you have to let it check out your location and search history.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

beamrider posted:

Anyone have any idea when Columbus OH is supposed to get LTE?

Howdy fellow Ohio goon.

Sprints network has turned to crap in Ohio over the last 2-3 years (I was living in Toledo 3 years ago, dating my now Fiancée who lived in Cincinnati at the time, and moved to north of Cincinnati with her in January. I also now work in Dayton)

I can confirm that everything along the I-75 corridor is complete crap for data coverage. Voice coverage is really good, but I spend half my time on 1x data.

I also spend a good amount of time in Columbus, and I don't fare much better there.

Tykoe Corp
Apr 26, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Does Miami have LTE now? Yes?
There appears to be LTE around the Palmetto and Dolphin interchange. My phone switched to it as I drove through there.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I went and played with a Note 2 in store today ... Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days. Only thing I'm going to wait on is the Google conference, just to play things safe.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

St. Blaize posted:

Try the komodo kernel, the revision 12 one fixed my data issues.

Thanks, I wish the posters at XDA were a little more user-friendly for people who don't argue about overclocking tweaks and exactly which nightly qualifies as a 'daily driver' and actually point to helpful stuff like this. I wiped and re-flashed 10/25 CM10 from kushdeck, then flashed the komodo kernel and then gapps. It seems to pick up LTE and 3G much, much easier now.

Any recommendations to follow important updates without wading through 500 irrelevant posts on XDA? The couple android sites I get updates on FB/twitter from seem to just announce new ROMs without recommending existing ones or giving consensus advice.

rebelEpik
Jun 9, 2012

Ozmodiar posted:

Howdy fellow Ohio goon.

Sprints network has turned to crap in Ohio over the last 2-3 years (I was living in Toledo 3 years ago, dating my now Fiancée who lived in Cincinnati at the time, and moved to north of Cincinnati with her in January. I also now work in Dayton)

I can confirm that everything along the I-75 corridor is complete crap for data coverage. Voice coverage is really good, but I spend half my time on 1x data.

I also spend a good amount of time in Columbus, and I don't fare much better there.

I drive Cleveland -> Cinci and back twice a week. I've never noticed anything like that. I'm constantly streaming music the entire way down there and back with no interruptions as well as doing random things on the internet. I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rebelEpik posted:

I drive Cleveland -> Cinci and back twice a week. I've never noticed anything like that. I'm constantly streaming music the entire way down there and back with no interruptions as well as doing random things on the internet. I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.

I drove on 75 twice over the last summer and found coverage there to be pretty bad, especially as soon as you left the city. Voice mostly ok, but data was pretty much unusable.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Coverage in Northwest Ohio is weird. I think I spent more time roaming on Alltel than anything else.

And yeah, I-71 is very different from I-75. You'll run into congestion problems near Columbus or Cincinnati, but otherwise the whole corridor has pretty decent coverage. Also, Cleveland is a round 2.5 NV market and, anecdotally I've found 3G service there to improve quite a bit recently. I wonder if they got backhaul in early.

Eastern Ohio is devoid of Sprint service much like it's devoid of anything else. I recommend avoiding it entirely.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I turned in my SGS2 to a Sprint store on Thursday for repair/replacement; the power button had gained a mind of its own and it was rebooting randomly, turning the screen on and off, sometimes refusing to obey when I pressed the power button, etc. On Friday they told me that the replacement was "backordered" and that it could take up to a week.

First of all, I'm not understanding how demand for a last-generation phone can be so high as to mean it's backordered, or is it because they're focusing so much on the SGS3 that there's few SGS2s left, or is it simply bullshit; second of all, is it at all possible, and at what point, to get my bill prorated for the failure of an insured device that they have not yet replaced?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
This week's update totals 550 sites.

Chicago (217), Houston (48), Baltimore (35), Boston (31), Kansas (30), Atlanta/Athens (23), SF Bay (21), Indianapolis (14), LA Metro (14), New York City (14), PR/VI (13), DFW (10), Upstate NY East (9), Philadelphia Metro (8), VT/NH/ME (8), Orange County (7), Southern Jersey (7), Washington DC (7), Delaware (5), South Bay (5), Miami/West Palm (4), Charlotte (4), Riverside/San Bernardino (3), San Antonio (3), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (2), Upstate NY Central (2), Central Jersey (1), Memphis (1), North LA (1), Orlando (1), Providence (1).

So far, so good. 550 sites is the most they've posted in one week and is the sort of schedule they need to keep, perhaps they've turned a corner?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

They could be back ordered because Sprint is running a promo where, if you add a line you get the S2 for free.

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
How are taxes assessed? Are they calculated before or after the $10 smartphone fee, and before or after a university discount. With Florida's bullshit 23% taxes, it kinda makes the difference whether I can swing it or not. (Already have a nice deal with AT&T, but coverage is balls in the areas I work)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I've been seeing more LTE signals in Austin lately, most recently while on I35 just south of the river.

Not getting LTE speeds, but my phone thinks it is LTE-connected. Looks encouraging.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Krime posted:

I went and played with a Note 2 in store today ... Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days. Only thing I'm going to wait on is the Google conference, just to play things safe.
I'm in the same boat as you. However, from my limited understanding of the LG Nexus it isn't going to be available on CDMA networks until some time after the initial release, if at all. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

I turned in my SGS2 to a Sprint store on Thursday for repair/replacement; the power button had gained a mind of its own and it was rebooting randomly, turning the screen on and off, sometimes refusing to obey when I pressed the power button, etc. On Friday they told me that the replacement was "backordered" and that it could take up to a week.

First of all, I'm not understanding how demand for a last-generation phone can be so high as to mean it's backordered, or is it because they're focusing so much on the SGS3 that there's few SGS2s left, or is it simply bullshit; second of all, is it at all possible, and at what point, to get my bill prorated for the failure of an insured device that they have not yet replaced?

It's based off of refurbished stock / stock of parts used to manufacture replacement phones. It happens unfortunately. They aren't bullshitting you, it's just what happens to be available (in this case not available) from sprints warehouse.

Feel free to call retentions and complain, they may give you a credit for the time without a phone. No guarantees, the policy does not give a promised turn around time unfortunately.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Ender, do you know exactly where those Jersey towers are?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Duckman2008 posted:

Feel free to call retentions and complain, they may give you a credit for the time without a phone. No guarantees, the policy does not give a promised turn around time unfortunately.

Would this also be an option for time without service due to a tower outage? One of my friends has had little to no coverage in his apartment for the past month. I forget where he got this info from, but apparently it's because there was a fire in the building that hosts the nearest tower to his apartment complex. Apparently Sprint's been having issues getting access to the building to do whatever repairs need to be done due to local govt bureaucracy. He asked me if there was a way he could get a credit, but it didn't occur to me to try retentions; I just told him to call the regular customer care # and see what happened.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

So I'm out of contract on my EVO 4G, and want to upgrade to the Note 2. What method has the best chance of avoiding the $36 activation fee?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chizad posted:

Would this also be an option for time without service due to a tower outage? One of my friends has had little to no coverage in his apartment for the past month. I forget where he got this info from, but apparently it's because there was a fire in the building that hosts the nearest tower to his apartment complex. Apparently Sprint's been having issues getting access to the building to do whatever repairs need to be done due to local govt bureaucracy. He asked me if there was a way he could get a credit, but it didn't occur to me to try retentions; I just told him to call the regular customer care # and see what happened.

Sure, the worst they would say is no.

saintonan posted:

So I'm out of contract on my EVO 4G, and want to upgrade to the Note 2. What method has the best chance of avoiding the $36 activation fee?

Call retentions and ask nicely. If they say no, they will mark on your account that they said no so don't bother pushing on it.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
I just want to know when any part of Michigan is getting 4G.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Has anyone TOL'd a SERO account lately? A kind goon was trying to give me his line, and the dude at Sprint was going to put it through until he suddenly went "oh, you have an employee referral plus account (or something of the like), I can't put this line on it." so I had him transfer me to employee accounts, and the lady there told me that SERO is only for former or current employees and that I can't add the line to my account. I have two SERO lines and one EPRP line on there right now, so I don't know if she was just BS'ing or they really aren't doing it anymore.

Anyone have any insight (things to say, where to ask to be transferred), or do we have a Sprint employee hanging around that can handle that sort of thing?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I say try again and make sure that you guys only speak with Employee Care. Since you already have SERO lines, you should be eligible to receive a TOL of another one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since Sprint won't be getting the Nexus 4, what would be the best phone to upgrade to in March of 2013? Are there any phones on the horizon for then or should I grab a Galaxy Nexus or something (would that last for 2 years come 2013?)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

td4guy posted:

I say try again and make sure that you guys only speak with Employee Care. Since you already have SERO lines, you should be eligible to receive a TOL of another one.

I called the SERO/EPRP line listed in the OP. I called them just now and they said as long as both of the accounts have either SERO or EPRP then we can transfer it, but then he called and they told him that no way, his line can't be put into my account. I'll give Employee Care a call if it'll help, but they're being really stubborn!

edit: Called Employee Care and he stated right off the bat that I need to go into a Sprint corporate store with my ID in order to do any transfers of any lines because of my account type. THIS MAKES NO SENSE. Do we have any Sprint goons who would be willing to take a critical look at it and tell me wtf is what?

bobula fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 30, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since Sprint won't be getting the Nexus 4, what would be the best phone to upgrade to in March of 2013?
If nothing else comes out by then, it's a toss between the SGS3 and Optimus G. The former has quite good CM10 support. The latter is essentially a CDMA/LTE Nexus 4 in disguise.

If the Optimus G can get enough community attraction (which, is a bit diffcult given the recent release of SGS3 and Evo LTE), it should retain community support as long as the Nexus 4 itself.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since Sprint won't be getting the Nexus 4, what would be the best phone to upgrade to in March of 2013? Are there any phones on the horizon for then or should I grab a Galaxy Nexus or something (would that last for 2 years come 2013?)

I'd probably wait until June and get the Evo 4. The GN will be 1.5 years old by then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If nothing else comes out by then, it's a toss between the SGS3 and Optimus G. The former has quite good CM10 support. The latter is essentially a CDMA/LTE Nexus 4 in disguise.

If the Optimus G can get enough community attraction (which, is a bit diffcult given the recent release of SGS3 and Evo LTE), it should retain community support as long as the Nexus 4 itself.

ZeroAX posted:

I'd probably wait until June and get the Evo 4. The GN will be 1.5 years old by then.

The Optimus G wouldn't be too bad if I can throw CM-something on it and turn it into essentially AOSP instead of LG's software.

I don't know about the EVO line...I've never been a fan of HTC's phones too much. The EVO 3D REALLY put me off. I'd probably stick with Samsung and LG before I went to HTC...I don't know though.

I also don't know if I could wait all the way to June with a Nexus S 4G. It's fine now, but I don't think it'll hold up that long.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've got SERO, using an Evo 4G, and someone wants to get my phone upgrade for a gift for me. When I call in to get my upgrade, do they take the payment then or do they put the upgrade cost ($200) on my next bill?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've got SERO, using an Evo 4G, and someone wants to get my phone upgrade for a gift for me. When I call in to get my upgrade, do they take the payment then or do they put the upgrade cost ($200) on my next bill?

They no longer bill phones to the account, so they'd take payment when you order it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I literally just got off the phone, same situation, EVO and SERO and all.

They charge a credit/debit card. Activation fee goes on your bill.

I'll have my Note II on Friday! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Alright, so I need to be at this person's house when I do the upgrade, thanks.

I think I'm going to finally try out an iPhone.