Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tias posted:

Aaargh, I can't wait for this <3

How long do we expect until a playable demo?

Get out of here, we don't need you to have another reason to delay your 40k thread :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tonight, my precious. :commissar:

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
As to how you will handle the native peoples, have you considered having them be of value to cooperate with for information? If you discover a plant, maybe they know of its medicinal properties. They might know vaguely of locations from legend, buried things not to be disturbed.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Airconswitch posted:

As to how you will handle the native peoples, have you considered having them be of value to cooperate with for information? If you discover a plant, maybe they know of its medicinal properties. They might know vaguely of locations from legend, buried things not to be disturbed.

Which, of course, is all the more reason to disturb them.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

You find something that looks like ancient temple. There is a big sign on the doors.
Sane scientist translates it as: Untold evil is buried here, cursed will be anyone who enters.
Slightly less sane scientist: Untold treasure is buried here and there is a light chance of catching some curse or whatever.
Not at all sane scientist: All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bernardo Orel posted:

You find something that looks like ancient temple. There is a big sign on the doors.
Sane scientist translates it as: Untold evil is buried here, cursed will be anyone who enters.
Slightly less sane scientist: Untold treasure is buried here and there is a light chance of catching some curse or whatever.
Not at all sane scientist: All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.

Sane scientists don't believe in curses. That's superstitious rubbish the natives dreamt up to keep people away from their untold treasure.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Men of science can also come to believe things, within their own framework of understanding. I'll leave you with the following hypothesis by Dr. Levy Crafft, colonial minister of metaphysics:

“The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. ”

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Today's blog post may be delayed for a Special Halloween Blog Post. We'll see how this pans out.

nvining
May 30, 2011

The Sad, Strange Tale of Shiveringhope:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/31/the-story-of-shiveringhope/

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Man, whoever wrote that needs to write a novel.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The best dev blog :allears:.

I hope whoever wrote that is doing the writing for the game (obviously they are, but still).

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I love the Empire Times stuff and "LETS JUST HOOK THIS COFFIN UP TO WHATEVER FACTORY"

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
"When crimes are committed by science criminals only science criminals can bring them to justice"

I really like this idea. It gives an incentive for going deeper into madness. Lets say that a madman is... protected, somehow. You can't actually get rid of one by normal means. They have some sort of luck that always enables them to get away from the police, and military men armed with bolt-guns just can't seem to hit them. But if you have ANOTHER madman, who is slightly MORE insane, you can use his inventions or whatever to kill the first madman. Or perhaps you have two madmen that aren't quite as mad as the first madman... working together, they could overcome the first madman.

So you have a choice-- utilize an increasingly mad individual to keep down the population of other madmen, or keep a large number of only slightly mad people around in order to prevent the rise of any one particularly mad individual.

Of course, you could always build a sanitarium, but for some reason, those it imprison seem to escape with some frustrating frequency. And if you DO keep them locked down well enough, the orderlies and psychologists start resembling the inmates.

The reason I like this is because otherwise, sane PLAYERS who are trying to optimize their colonies might just rebury any strange artifacts they find. There'd be no reason to do anything as risky as utilize the coffin unless you were TRYING to lose, which don't get me wrong, people do... like manually hitting the disaster button in Sim-City... but if 1 madman can happen by accident, and you need more to deal with it, you may want a source of mild madness going around. In a carefully contained way, of course, except that the containment is difficult (but not impossible) to maintain.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 31, 2012

nvining
May 30, 2011

Read posted:

The best dev blog :allears:.

I hope whoever wrote that is doing the writing for the game (obviously they are, but still).

That would be me. David did the pictures.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

nvining posted:

Thank you guys. That was beautiful and I need more.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nvining posted:

If you find time in your busy dev schedule to write a collection of short stories in that line of writing I would buy the poo poo out of this. If things like this can happen in game I'll be buying multiple copies to give out to people just so they can experience it. :allears:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Eonwe posted:

If you find time in your busy dev schedule to write a collection of short stories in that line of writing I would buy the poo poo out of this. If things like this can happen in game I'll be buying multiple copies to give out to people just so they can experience it. :allears:

Egads no. I suppose short stories are difficult, but I've tried writing a book before (a few times) and it nearly killed me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress that was awesome. I WANT THIS GAME SO THESE STORIES CAN BE TOLD TO ME!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Nvining, you should have entered the Halloween contest, dayum!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The two games I'm looking forward to for 2013 are Exalted and Clockwork Empires.

Keep up the good work.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wait is that an exalted video game?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think he means the new edition of Exalted.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
This wouldn't be a Victorian game without some benighted steamless natives to oppress. Are we going to find native civilizations on the map as well?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Anticheese posted:

I think he means the new edition of Exalted.

Oh Fuuuuck, i got my hopes up then! :mad:

Hobelhouse posted:

This wouldn't be a Victorian game without some benighted steamless natives to oppress. Are we going to find native civilizations on the map as well?

This came up!

xutech posted:

As a brown person, I would like to say that I hope you don't make us suck.

We are happy to be in games but we have a lot to offer any new friends who visit our continents. We have cool magic, we throw your enemies in volcanos and we guard badass old temples. And from our point of view, you bring cool things like frockcoats, tophats and guns, which look cool mixed with our facial tattooes and nifty martial arts skills. Our women also wear very sexy coconut based clothes and guard magical treasure.

So please be kind, leave the polio blankets and fire water behind.

Your future colonial neighbours.

nvining posted:

We've been making bets on how long it would take before this came up. :) (And this was a very stylish response.)

Okay, I said I was going to PAX but this is too important to not talk about. Being on the receiving end of colonialism sucked for anybody involved in it. Steampunk, being primarily written by white nerds who don't know better or remain willfully in invisible happy bubbles, traditionally tends to gloss over this fact - as well as a lot of other inconvenient facts, like the treatment of women in Victorian society. The traditional Steampunk solution, therefore, is to pretend that everything was just wonderful for all parties involved. Of course it wasn't.

So, yes, aware of this and dealing with it, although - to be honest? - we're not totally sure how yet. But it's definitely on our radar. The currently agreed-upon convention is that there are other nations in the world, of other ethnicities, of the same level of technological development and advancement as the Empire; the world resembles somewhat more of a free-for-all land grab.

Of course, this isn't a problem unique to us - and I think that people are starting to look at this in the steampunk community and to recognize that, yes, this is incredibly problematic. I recently read a short story called "Pimp my Airship" by Maurice Broaddus which argues - convincingly - that "black steampunk" looks like the P-Funk mythology...

Also i think it was mentioned in one of the blog posts about new Sogwood, at the end of it future possibly included "contacting the locals to ask about the discovered herbs.", will the natives lack in technology and be easy to push around? We'll find out i guess. Will you want to do this? Well i imagine you might regret it when their jungle gods unleash their wrath upon you in a rain of panthers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Goddamnit I would pay a ton of money for a game based in the P-funk mythology.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Holy crap. Sign me up for the hype train, this thing seems just right for me. :allears:

Tias
May 25, 2008

On the subject of good writing, I love your version of Benjamin Disraeli, and the way you talk about him in the interview. I can just see this stuffy fellow wringing his hands and assuring himself that "we must keep the Empire, mustn't we, yes.", while his good for nothing governors and their subjects build mechanical bulls that flatten imperial property, summon up eldritch horrors from beyond the veil, and misappropriate new technology to get themselves throttled in automated pipe plants - he's nattering around trusting everything to work out okay, while her Majestys realm is going to poo poo in the most mind-blowing way possible.

I can taste how epic this game is going to be, keep at it you magnificient bastards!

Tias fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 2, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Also, another interesting thing shown by this devlog: Just how brutal these insanity spirals are planned to be. All it takes is one dumb descision to kick off a colony-ending spiral of death. The Anti-Paranormal Incursion Squad especially. It incorporates all the worst aspects of an inquisition, a witchhunt, and a roving band of jackbooted thugs. I get the impression that even if they were called in for a situation that they could actually handle (A hobo carving voodoo dolls from Perfectly Safe Soap), half the colony would be rounded up and sent to Science Jail anyway.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Tias posted:

On the subject of good writing, I love your version of Benjamin Disraeli, and the way you talk about him in the interview. I can just see this stuffy fellow wringing his hands and assuring himself that "we must keep the Empire, mustn't we, yes.", while his good for nothing governors and their subjecs build mechanical bulls that flatten imperial property, summon up eldritch horrors from beyond the veil, and misappropriate new technology to get themselves throttled in automated pipe plants - he's nattering around trusting everything to work out okay, while her Majesty realm is going to poo poo in the most mind-blowing way possible.

I can taste how epic this game is going to be, keep at it you magnificien bastards!

The PM is very definitely modeled after Disraeli. Lord Palmerstoke, on the other hand, is the analogue of our universe's Lord Kelvin, who believed a number of interesting things including that all physics would be resolved by 1900 and that we would simply spend our time making more and more accurate measurements; that the X-Ray machine was a hoax; and that at some point we would all eventually run out of oxygen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Triskelli posted:

Also, another interesting thing shown by this devlog: Just how brutal these insanity spirals are planned to be. All it takes is one dumb descision to kick off a colony-ending spiral of death. The Anti-Paranormal Incursion Squad especially. It incorporates all the worst aspects of an inquisition, a witchhunt, and a roving band of jackbooted thugs. I get the impression that even if they were called in for a situation that they could actually handle (A hobo carving voodoo dolls from Perfectly Safe Soap), half the colony would be rounded up and sent to Science Jail anyway.

Imagine finding the inner council of the Science Mafia in a quiet country town like that! Good enough to warrant promotion from Deputy All-Purger to All-Purger, in my opinion.

nvining
May 30, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Imagine finding the inner council of the Science Mafia in a quiet country town like that! Good enough to warrant promotion from Deputy All-Purger to All-Purger, in my opinion.

One assumes that the transition from Deputy All-Purger to All-Purger is achieved by proving that you are, in fact, demonstrably better at Purging than your superior.

By any means possible.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Triskelli posted:

Losing will be more fun than ever! (especially with your Escape Zeppelin standing by)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mr. Peepers posted:

Losing will be more fun than ever! (especially with your Escape Zeppelin standing by)

I am kind of hoping that the Escape Zeppelin has an upgrade tree, so you start out merely getting out with the shirt off your back and at the high end you bring yourself, your baggage, your small yapping dog, and your pick of a few useful highly-skilled assistants.

I also hope that there is a nice keyboard shortcut for 'pack luggage and prepare the zeppelin'.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ratoslov posted:

I also hope that there is a nice keyboard shortcut for 'pack luggage and prepare the zeppelin'.

---Clockwork Empires Protip:
Things starting to look ugly?
Press Z for Zeppelin!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Triskelli posted:

---Clockwork Empires Protip:
Things starting to look ugly?
Press Z for Zeppelin!

Alt-QQ :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ratoslov posted:

I am kind of hoping that the Escape Zeppelin has an upgrade tree, so you start out merely getting out with the shirt off your back and at the high end you bring yourself, your baggage, your small yapping dog, and your pick of a few useful highly-skilled assistants.

Oh my god yes, please let this be a thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can't remember if this was touched on earlier, but how will population growth work? Will most new citizens be immigrants from the mainland? Will established citizens churn out new citizens? Will they grow up in relative comfort to become skilled members or society, or can they become orphaned by a tragic gear based accident and become lovable street urchins?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Was trawling "clockwork empires" on google, and here's some PAX Prime autographs I stole salvaged. Not much there we haven't already gotten a look at, but it's always a delight to see the return of DEER/SQUID.

Lovingly ripped from RepoMan of the Broken Forums.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I can't remember if this was touched on earlier, but how will population growth work? Will most new citizens be immigrants from the mainland? Will established citizens churn out new citizens? Will they grow up in relative comfort to become skilled members or society, or can they become orphaned by a tragic gear based accident and become lovable street urchins?

Probably some combination of the DF Immigration Model and the DF childbirthing model. Yes, citizens can be orphaned at any time during their childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Urchined! :eng99:

But seriously, when was the current estimate for a beta? Late 2013?

If there's anything the fans-to-be can do, let us know. I mostly just design and write, but I can try to promote it in Denmark, too.

• Locked thread