Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Is anyone noticing a bug with Learning, the +% XP skill in the spirit tree? I picked up a level of it as prereqs and am suddenly getting absolutely no experience from killing strong, very strong, and deadly stacks on greenwort at level 17. I'm horrified that it might be bugged to reduce your xp gain TO 10% instead of increasing it by 10% or something ridiculous.

Edit: Yeah, my game is completely hosed. I'm killing invincible stacks and gaining absolutely 0 experience from anything but quests. loving hell.

Edit2: Rolled back to a save before I took Learning and am getting full experience from everything. Looks like the talent is super bugged.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Velveteen posted:

I thought rage abilities were crap when I started with viking vortex and the first valkyrie skill. Then I got Lord of the North and oh my I'm destroying everything on the first turn.

Viking vortex jets up in damage really quick, so it de-horriblizes itself later by having completely insane damage potential for relatively low rage cost. Not saying you will always use it then, but it has it's uses for taking larger bites out of the stacks that are more dangerous than others. I know this mostly from having to pick between bumping that or the treasure skill's radius. (Not that the skill is bad itself, it functions as a Trap that ruins a L1-2 unit's turn plus doing a good amount of damage, I can just think of better uses for rage than that!)

Edit: ^^^ what class are you playing as? I have two ranks of learning on my soothsayer and still get the amount of XP i should be. At least I hope so.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 30, 2012

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

My one semi-spoilerish question is:

It is normal for you to be unable complete the animal trainer's quest on the first island? All his parts are floating in the ocean, but when you can get a boat, you're already kicked out of the castle.

You can get to the boat before the fight that blocks you from the town. Not that it makes much difference, given the quest rewards, but there you go.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kanos posted:

Is anyone noticing a bug with Learning, the +% XP skill in the spirit tree? I picked up a level of it as prereqs and am suddenly getting absolutely no experience from killing strong, very strong, and deadly stacks on greenwort at level 17. I'm horrified that it might be bugged to reduce your xp gain TO 10% instead of increasing it by 10% or something ridiculous.

Edit: Yeah, my game is completely hosed. I'm killing invincible stacks and gaining absolutely 0 experience from anything but quests. loving hell.

Edit2: Rolled back to a save before I took Learning and am getting full experience from everything. Looks like the talent is super bugged.

Oh holy gently caress I just took this talent, better double check

edit: nope it works fine for me

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 30, 2012

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kanos posted:

I took these talents as wel lup to the 2nd tier and I'm not having this issue. How high up did you get in this skill?

kingturnip posted:

You can get to the boat before the fight that blocks you from the town. Not that it makes much difference, given the quest rewards, but there you go.

To his credit, there was virtually no indicator that you're allowed back.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanos posted:

Mine worked fine at both rank 1, 2, and 3 on my Skald.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Rascyc posted:

Mine worked fine at both rank 1, 2, and 3 on my Skald.

No problems with mine (on a Skald) either.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
Oh hey there's a thread! Question: is there a maximum amount of Rage you can get in battle?

Reason I ask is I cheesed a 'deadly' fight with Vortex and like a dozen guys early on and kept the soothsayer alive and like one other unit and whittled them down with rage while my guys just basically defended (and most died but they were early poo poo units).

Then at some point I just stopped getting rage, luckily I could just barely pull it out with the few survivors but it was kinda weird, wondering if it was intentional or a bug.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Demerzel posted:

Oh hey there's a thread! Question: is there a maximum amount of Rage you can get in battle?

Reason I ask is I cheesed a 'deadly' fight with Vortex and like a dozen guys early on and kept the soothsayer alive and like one other unit and whittled them down with rage while my guys just basically defended (and most died but they were early poo poo units).

Then at some point I just stopped getting rage, luckily I could just barely pull it out with the few survivors but it was kinda weird, wondering if it was intentional or a bug.

I haven't played a long battle in Warrior's of the North yet, but in the prior games if battles went on too long, mana regen/rage gain rates were reduced over time.

So if the battle lasts 10 turns, you get like 1/2 the regen/gain and over 20 turns was like 1/3. So you would eventually not be able to use rage abilities/spells but it would take some time to do so.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the battle fatigue gimmick is still in there. You will see it from time to time on bosses. It has its own log entry and everything.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Rascyc posted:

Yeah the battle fatigue gimmick is still in there. You will see it from time to time on bosses. It has its own log entry and everything.

Like the boss messages when you use a Valkyrie...

"We know it's not fair but we wanted to give them a fighting chance." :argh:

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Wow, quick knowledgeable replies. While we're on a roll, one more question: what's the real difference between the hero types? I'm Soothsayer now but not really sure what the hell that does for me besides make me look really gay. I assumed more mana and/or a magic-rune centric leveling gain but hearing poo poo about Skald songs makes me wonder if I hosed up the choice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Demerzel posted:

Wow, quick knowledgeable replies. While we're on a roll, one more question: what's the real difference between the hero types? I'm Soothsayer now but not really sure what the hell that does for me besides make me look really gay. I assumed more mana and/or a magic-rune centric leveling gain but hearing poo poo about Skald songs makes me wonder if I hosed up the choice.

When you level up, you gain more of the Magic (blue) runes, a middling amount of the Mind (green) runes, and very few Might (red) runes. You also get access to two unique magic-tree skills, which are Alchemy and Higher Magic. Alchemy reduces the magic crystal cost to scribe or upgrade spells, and Higher Magic lets you cast two spells a turn as long as the first one is cheap - it used to be under 20 mana in Armoured Princess but I don't have it in this one to check.

Skalds get lots of mind runes and a mixed amount of both magic and strength, because they're the middle-of-the-road class. They don't get Alchemy and Higher Magic but instead get skald songs (which are buffs) and Warriors of Valhalla, which is a passive that might revive some of their guys after a battle.

The other option is the Viking fighter-type, which is basically the inverse of the Soothsayer - lots of strength runes, very few magic runes. Their unique skills are Steadfast Norse, which makes their troops shake off spells and debuffs faster, and Absolute Rage, which increases crit damage and boosts attack power after their troops get hit.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Demerzel posted:

//edit

Beaten like a less educated mule.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 30, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, since this seems to be the King's Bounty thread, maybe I can ask a question of the older games?

Trying to get into Legends now, with the hopes of moving through all the games, and am stuck on the first couple of bosses/zones.

I went Warrior first, and when I hit the boss, it crushed me totally, since I was relying on Rage.

Then I made a Mage, and it beat me up again, since my spells barely pinged it, and my army basically didn't exist.

Then I made a Paladin, and survived by just spamming healing/resurrection stuff on my army, yet then I ended up in some oceanic piraty zone with no real army, and all the troops here suck.

I'm slowly depopulating the starter zone trying to keep my army going, and have no idea how to keep moving forward. What am I missing here? I grinded myself up as much as I could, and I seem to be on par with most of the groups here, I'll just lose a few units per battle, and after a couple battle will end up out of units totally, with no way to get more outside of local flavor.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
So I was thinking about dropping this because the first four islands are pretty annoying in that you have access to limited troop selection and practically no resurrection options. And I got lucky and found Assassins on the second island.

Then post-boss fight suddenly everything is fantastic. Paladins + Rune Mages + Runic Word = tons of ghostly Paladin stacks running around "Quicking" everything and soaking damage/counterattacks like nobody's business.

Add to that some Inquisitors for resurrection and decimating undead (of which there are a ton on the fifth island), Archmages for ranged support and tactical defense, and Knights for more damage soaking and I've been able to take on everything that moves without losing any troops (or a Knight at most against "Deadly" stacks).

The Knights are easily the weakest link here, but the only replacement options so far are Griffons or Archers. Neither of which have benefits that outweigh the Knight's tanking ability. Hopefully I can find some more Assassins (or a 5th rank stack) somewhere.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man you got super lucky with paladins. I had none to be found but not one, not two, but three seperate spots to recruit loving swordsmen at, and the knight stack had a whole 27 knights total in it. I got the worst possible recruits in the old/new spots and I'm depleting most of the good stacks since I have zero method of resurrecting beyond the lovely soothsayer spell. I need to find a better stack setup but i'm not turning up much luck with good units. :( I'd probably be in deep poo poo right now if I didn't have L3 distortion magic. Found no Bless spell either. Also is fireball spell even in the game?

Edit: Almost considering a restart as a warrior since magic seems like an almost dead end in this one. Spells don't do very much damage and are vastly, vastly outclassed by rage skills. Ending fights with a nearly full tank of magic since there's not much to do with it beyond low cost buff spells right now.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 30, 2012

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Malek posted:

I took these talents as wel lup to the 2nd tier and I'm not having this issue. How high up did you get in this skill?

Level 1 in the skill, as a Viking. Not really sure what's happening. I rolled back to a save prior to me taking the skill(lost about 2 hours of gameplay :mad:) and it started working fine again. I tried taking the skill again and it broke. I'm even fighting different enemies on different islands to make sure.

edit: ^^^ Magic in KB games on higher difficulties is always about being a neverending fountain of buffs and debuffs. Blast magic has never been good on Hard or Impossible. Mages excel at being able to crank out twice as many buffs and debuffs as anyone else and sustain it for far longer with their deep mana pools. ^^^

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

Level 1 in the skill, as a Viking. Not really sure what's happening. I rolled back to a save prior to me taking the skill(lost about 2 hours of gameplay :mad:) and it started working fine again. I tried taking the skill again and it broke. I'm even fighting different enemies on different islands to make sure.

edit: ^^^ Magic in KB games on higher difficulties is always about being a neverending fountain of buffs and debuffs. Blast magic has never been good on Hard or Impossible. Mages excel at being able to crank out twice as many buffs and debuffs as anyone else and sustain it for far longer with their deep mana pools. ^^^

The problem is any spell that does damage in this one is nearly worthless; as an avenue of use damage should be viable, however it isn't as it isn't competitive enough. It was actually doable and worthwhile in the AP and TL games - they kept up with the rate of growth. Not even remotely close this time around. Fire rain alone could do assloads of damage.

Amamake
Nov 10, 2009
Keep in mind that they moved some offensive spells from Chaos to Runic. I have not seen a Fireball yet, but I did see several Ice Snakes here and there and it's pretty much the same thing. Another cool spell that made my mage awesome was Ice Spikes which is also in Rune school now.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
What the people posted above is correct. Direct Damage spells are ok, but the real strength of magic is the buff/debuff spells. (And getting to use them twice in a round basically nullifying multiple enemy stacks from doing anything).

Trap, Hypnosis, Phantom, etc. are all extremely powerful because they reduce the amount of damage coming at you and can cause enemies to waste their damage on one another as well.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Difference between Skald and Soothsayer is crazy, at least on the first island. Greatly, greatly in favor of Skald - mostly because of the difference in leadership and mind skills but I am sailing through as Skald.

I don't "get" runes. Some of the guys have 'Runic Knowledge', I have runes, things cost x runes, there are magic runes and magic crystals and it's just too goddamn much.

I /thought/ it was just you press one button at the beginning to select a rune type but I can't really tell what's affecting who or if it's on the unit level, or if it's using up some kind of consumable I don't know about or how the hell I should use them.

Please send help.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You use crystals to write scrolls down as spells and then upgrade them.

You use "hero" runes to upgrade your skills and nothing else.. The skills themselves are varied in usefulness but roughly speaking you can't go wrong as long as you don't try to go magic heavy with a fighty class and vice versa.

In battle runes are used to provide small but useful buffs to your units. Attack ruins raise they're damage a bit, defense ruins raise defense a bit and luck ruins seem to raise critical hit chances a bit. Each unit has a limited supply in battle but they get replenished after each battle so go ahead an use them. The units with runic knowledge have some of all 3 and it appears that units without runic knowledge still get some somehow.

I hope this has actually been helpful and not just me talking out my rear end.

Edit- The buff the runes provide the unit only last for one turn as far as I can tell.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 30, 2012

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Kanos posted:

I think it's the Viking part. I'm a Skald like the other 2 or 3 that mentioned this and it's working for us. Vikings apparently not so much.

Carcer posted:

You use crystals to write scrolls down as spells and then upgrade them.

Wishing Wells also use Crystals to trade one time for either Gold or XP.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well yeah, but that's sort of a fringe case.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
5 crystals per raven scroll too I believe.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So, since this seems to be the King's Bounty thread, maybe I can ask a question of the older games?

Trying to get into Legends now, with the hopes of moving through all the games, and am stuck on the first couple of bosses/zones.

I went Warrior first, and when I hit the boss, it crushed me totally, since I was relying on Rage.

Then I made a Mage, and it beat me up again, since my spells barely pinged it, and my army basically didn't exist.

Then I made a Paladin, and survived by just spamming healing/resurrection stuff on my army, yet then I ended up in some oceanic piraty zone with no real army, and all the troops here suck.

I'm slowly depopulating the starter zone trying to keep my army going, and have no idea how to keep moving forward. What am I missing here? I grinded myself up as much as I could, and I seem to be on par with most of the groups here, I'll just lose a few units per battle, and after a couple battle will end up out of units totally, with no way to get more outside of local flavor.

Go back to the previous zone (talk to the guy you spawned next to when you arrived in in the new area) to restock your army. After you unlocked the new area by beating the giant turtle boss most of the castles will change their units and will now be selling higher tier units in good quantities (you should be able to get tons of guardsmen, inquisitors and some horsemen/knights/wizards). The most remote castle in the swamp area should be able to sell you lots of royal snakes (which are amazing after you complete the frog-wife quest) and other assorted good units. The alchemist's lab near that swap castle should be selling alchemists which are pretty good too.

Dont forget to scroll sideways in places selling creatures, because often the good stuff wont be the first three things on offer.

In the new zone, look for a beached viking ship, it can sell you polar bears which are super-beefy tank units. Also, after beating the challenge hero at the Orc Embassy you can buy orkish units from there which are very powerful (especially the shamans and veterans).

Oh and if you're not sure what you want to use remember that you can stash units in castles without losing them so go nuts trying stuff.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 31, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I wish there were more bear units. I want to go rolling into battle with five stacks of bears. Cast mass haste, and beat some rear end with my bear motherfuckers. They should have added a level 5 superbear.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For some reason everytime I win a fight, 2 orcs join me.

[e]Oh recruiter. Herp derp.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 31, 2012

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Not sure if I like how you get more gold then you could ever spend if you bought every artifact and had your entire army die every fight and re-bought it every time in this one. Is that a new thing or is my memory just bad and the others were like this as well? I could swear that at least in "The Legend" I was scrounging for money at some point.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
So a new patch got released today and it appears that using the spell "Phantom" (from a Rune Mage) on a Royal Griffin (which I admit, I used that on them, then Celestial Guard off of the phantom which NEVER wore off) causes the new Griffin to vanish instantly. Has anyone else had this? (I did it twice in a row with "Second Wind" from a Paladin and the game crashed too)

(EDIT) Never mind, was either that encounter, or that specific battle. Either way, back to exploiting.

Malek fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 31, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Malek posted:

So a new patch got released today and it appears that using the spell "Phantom" (from a Rune Mage) on a Royal Griffin (which I admit, I used that on them, then Celestial Guard off of the phantom which NEVER wore off) causes the new Griffin to vanish instantly. Has anyone else had this? (I did it twice in a row with "Second Wind" from a Paladin and the game crashed too)

(EDIT) Never mind, was either that encounter, or that specific battle. Either way, back to exploiting.

Can anyone find a link to the patch notes?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive just reached the second island and Im loving the game. Its more of the same, of course, but when its more of something you love, is always good.

But being a KB veteran (finished Legends and AP/Crossworlds more times than I can remember), is kinda disappointing how easy it is so far. Playing in "hard", while in Legends, and specially AP, things would get brutal after the first map, in this one Im swimming in gold and killing everything I find without losses.

No more of that scarcity (of gold and troops) that made the first half of the game so drat hard (and fun). If it gets harder later on (and I hope it does), than it is not a big problem. But Ive earned to like that extra difficult AP specially had in the early game, so Im missing it here.

Apart from that, early game has also a bit of less variety than AP, since the available starting troops to hire seems to be a lot less random (always vikings). That hurts replay value, I think, since the starting selection could lead to a very different early game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive just reached the second island and Im loving the game. Its more of the same, of course, but when its more of something you love, is always good.

But being a KB veteran (finished Legends and AP/Crossworlds more times than I can remember), is kinda disappointing how easy it is so far. Playing in "hard", while in Legends, and specially AP, things would get brutal after the first map, in this one Im swimming in gold and killing everything I find without losses.

No more of that scarcity (of gold and troops) that made the first half of the game so drat hard (and fun). If it gets harder later on (and I hope it does), than it is not a big problem. But Ive earned to like that extra difficult AP specially had in the early game, so Im missing it here.

Apart from that, early game has also a bit of less variety than AP, since the available starting troops to hire seems to be a lot less random (always vikings). That hurts replay value, I think, since the starting selection could lead to a very different early game.

The selection randomness can really hurt you in this one. There's a *lot* less dwellings to hire from. I restarted a viking last night and the only thing I am finding in the town on Vestlig is regular vikings, slingers, axe throwers and a very small complement of skalds. No berserkers, no jarls, no warrior maidens. Saving grace being a large stack of soothsayers at Runolv. I seem to be getting screwed in both characters!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dropbear posted:

The new units / abilities seem a bit.. odd, as well, for instance the addition that undead units drop a black glob of phleghm that does a huge amount of damage to anyone walking on it when they die. In short, at least for me this is nowhere near as good as the Legend / AP, but still a pretty fun timewaster.

Heals undead that walk on it instead. Dunno if it's only friendly ones or you could kill their undead and then walk your own undead onto it for a heal.

Carcer posted:

In battle runes are used to provide small but useful buffs to your units. Attack ruins raise they're damage a bit, defense ruins raise defense a bit and luck ruins seem to raise critical hit chances a bit.

Luck gives a decent chance to do a 2nd attack at the end of the round, it's pretty good.

Are rage abilities on a shared cooldown? Sometimes viking whirl locks me out of Lord of the North on the next turn.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 31, 2012

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sloober posted:

The selection randomness can really hurt you in this one. There's a *lot* less dwellings to hire from. I restarted a viking last night and the only thing I am finding in the town on Vestlig is regular vikings, slingers, axe throwers and a very small complement of skalds. No berserkers, no jarls, no warrior maidens. Saving grace being a large stack of soothsayers at Runolv. I seem to be getting screwed in both characters!

It hurts more because in AP you could map kite your way through the entire game if you wanted to but here you are locked to the first four islands until you kill the first boss, and the fourth island doesn't even have any dwellings, really.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Darkrenown posted:

Heals undead that walk on it instead. Dunno if it's only friendly ones or you could kill their undead and then walk your own undead onto it for a heal.

Luck gives a decent chance to do a 2nd attack at the end of the round, it's pretty good.

Are rage abilities on a shared cooldown? Sometimes viking whirl locks me out of Lord of the North on the next turn.
All of Olaf's rage abilities share a CD. The Valks do not.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
30 mins or so after the first boss, you're going to be dumping a ton of gold which explains why you get so much of it.

Also does anyone else think it's pretty obvious that MISTER CONSORT PRINCE:spergin: is going to stab you in the back hardcore?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Jesus Christ the first boss is one unending mound of horse poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pumpkinreaper posted:

30 mins or so after the first boss, you're going to be dumping a ton of gold which explains why you get so much of it.

Also does anyone else think it's pretty obvious that MISTER CONSORT PRINCE:spergin: is going to stab you in the back hardcore?
Don't worry in like 3 hours you'll be back up to a million gold. It just rains, rains, rains! There are still some pretty tough fights to find here and there though, but plenty of fodder to chew through to get stronger and stronger. Game really opens up at that point too. I spent forever just dicking around on the Orc islands for no obvious plot reason.

The more I play, the more I'm happy there's copious amounts of gold. It's kind of nice to be able to dick around with all the unit types for once instead of always worrying about dumping money. Finding items in dwellings feels more like finding a cool chest since dwellings are a bit more rare now.

• Locked thread