Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009

Booties posted:

Gamestop sucks balls. That is all. Not going to bother elaborating.

I switched to Walmart a couple years ago and it is definitely the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dan Didio posted:

She is, she's one of the SPARTAN IV's.

If it's who I think she is, she's the head of the SPARTAN-IV's on the Infinity.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

I guess she's playing a Soldier this time. I'll miss the warpsplosions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Here's a thought - if the Infinity is loaded with these genetically-enhanced Marines-made-SPARTAN, in full powered armor no less, does that mean we'll have backup that lives longer than five seconds during campaign levels?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Cold Sprunk posted:

I switched to Walmart a couple years ago and it is definitely the way to go.

I can walk to my gamestop in less than 10 minutes though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's a thought - if the Infinity is loaded with these genetically-enhanced Marines-made-SPARTAN, in full powered armor no less, does that mean we'll have backup that lives longer than five seconds during campaign levels?

Yes, but like the rest of Noble team, they'll be incapable of either driving or shooting.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Not that it really matters, but IGN Halo 4 review tomorrow night. I guess since they are releasing a review early, it can only mean good things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One on thing we can be (somewhat) certain of - we might actually get through this Halo without destroying the/a main UNSC ship (providing it's not wrecked to hell based on that cutscene that's been shown of it coming in low on Requiem)

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
"It's the most advanced ship Humanity has ever built!"

"Uhh, yeah, Admiral, about that..."

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One on thing we can be (somewhat) certain of - we might actually get through this Halo without destroying the/a main UNSC ship (providing it's not wrecked to hell based on that cutscene that's been shown of it coming in low on Requiem)

But those are the best parts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Maybe we'll blow up the Dyson Sphere and the next game will centre around the discovery of six other, identical Infinity ships floating in space.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.
Infinity + Broadswords doing this please ... completely epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
How big is the Infiinity exactly? Was it ramming a covenant super carrier without even thinking in that trailer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Avalanche posted:

Not that it really matters, but IGN Halo 4 review tomorrow night. I guess since they are releasing a review early, it can only mean good things.

Yeah i'm expecting IGN is giving Halo 4 a 10. Microsoft wouldn't allow reviews this early otherwise. I'm going to be waiting for Gametrailers review though, I don't like IGN's writers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

How big is the Infiinity exactly? Was it ramming a covenant super carrier without even thinking in that trailer?

I don't know what kind of Covenant ship that was, but I'm reading Traviss's The Thursday War and it's repeatedly described as absolutely enormous. The UNSC doesn't even have a dock big enough to accommodate it. Even Elites poo poo themselves when they see it. That probably makes it the biggest ship in the galaxy.

Fake edit: Halo Nation says that it's "5.694.1 kilometres (3.54 mi)" in length, making it almost a full mile longer than a supercarrier. I hope it gets at least one scene, even just in Spartan Ops or whatever, of that ship loving things up. :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I don't know what kind of Covenant ship that was, but I'm reading Traviss's The Thursday War and it's repeatedly described as absolutely enormous. The UNSC doesn't even have a dock big enough to accommodate it. Even Elites poo poo themselves when they see it. That probably makes it the biggest ship in the galaxy.

Fake edit: Halo Nation says that it's "5.694.1 kilometres (3.54 mi)" in length, making it almost a full mile longer than a supercarrier. I hope it gets at least one scene, even just in Spartan Ops or whatever, of that ship loving things up. :black101:

If you haven't yet, go watch the Spartan Ops: Season One trailer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah i'm expecting IGN is giving Halo 4 a 10. Microsoft wouldn't allow reviews this early otherwise. I'm going to be waiting for Gametrailers review though, I don't like IGN's writers.

Agreed. I used to go to IGN for all my stuff way back in the day, for years and years. Its been pretty much all downhill, they used to just host game cheats and reviews, but now they review TV shows and cars and bikini babes? wut? Then they merged with gamespy and... its gone more and more corporate since. I'm with you, I don't like their reviews anymore. I read their site every now and then to get some base impressions but I often find myself reading between the lines on their reviews.

Gametrailers meanwhile has become my favorite place for reviews. Their video reviews let you see the game in action. Geoff Keighley gives good voiceovers and at least knows how to pronounce videogame terms and characters. The reviews are well written and give good impressions of the game without being overly critical, so I can get a good feel of if its a game I'll enjoy or not. I have a friend from High School who works for them, too, and it seems like they have a lot of fun over there.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is my true favorite gaming journalism site now though, the only place that tells it like it is. Even Geoff just recently had that scene with the mountain dew and doritos. And IGN is as bad as Gamespot for how they pander to the companies that are advertising on their site. But RPS doesn't take poo poo from anybody! :) The writing is clearly by gamers, its so honest, I love it.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I always honestly wondered why the only UNSC ships we saw in action during the games were frigates. Probably its cheaper to model the small ships, but still in the books they talk about carriers, dreadnoughts, cruisers. I want to see some space battles with MAC cannons, and poo poo popping off. Longswords blowing things up, and Captain Keys holding a pipe.

(EDIT: Pillar of Autumn was a cruiser, just an outdated one.)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I said come in! posted:

I'm pretty sure the embargo lifts that early. At least, that's what I've heard from some of the other guys sitting with review copies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BabyMauler posted:

I always honestly wondered why the only UNSC ships we saw in action during the games were frigates. Probably its cheaper to model the small ships, but still in the books they talk about carriers, dreadnoughts, cruisers. I want to see some space battles with MAC cannons, and poo poo popping off. Longswords blowing things up, and Captain Keys holding a pipe.

(EDIT: Pillar of Autumn was a cruiser, just an outdated one.)

Considering they were on the losing side of the war for 30 years, the bigger ships were probably getting on the rare side. It'd probably be easier to pump out the smaller cruisers than one big ship.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What happened to the In Amber Clad?

Tzeentch
Aug 25, 2007

Now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea.

VaultAggie posted:

What happened to the In Amber Clad?

taken over by the flood and smashed into high charity.

Tzeentch
Aug 25, 2007

Now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea.
It's probably how Gravemind got aboard in Halo 2.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I don't know what to tell a man who doesn't find this awesome. :colbert:

I dislike Rocket Race since I have to depend on 2 other people to get anything done, and it's very easy to just get poo poo killed from the passenger spot over and over. At least in Elite Slayer I get some consistency.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So the trailer showed the Keyes maneuver, but ramming the enemy fleet instead of shooting everything to death?

The captain of the Infinity does not gently caress around.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

NTT posted:

I dislike Rocket Race since I have to depend on 2 other people to get anything done
Party up with reliable friends? Not much else to suggest on that.

quote:

and it's very easy to just get poo poo killed from the passenger spot over and over.
If you're meaning "bullshit killed," as long as you're in the car you're invincible. Unless you mean "it's easy to kill poo poo from the passenger seat," which would kinda be the point if you see people that got flipped out of their car and you're toting a rocket launcher.

Dino Slayer's fun, too, don't get me wrong. I love trying to get people to use the laser gator in matches by getting a bunch of kills with it.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Party up with reliable friends? Not much else to suggest on that.
If you're meaning "bullshit killed," as long as you're in the car you're invincible. Unless you mean "it's easy to kill poo poo from the passenger seat," which would kinda be the point if you see people that got flipped out of their car and you're toting a rocket launcher.

Dino Slayer's fun, too, don't get me wrong. I love trying to get people to use the laser gator in matches by getting a bunch of kills with it.

I was always confused when I'd be away from halo for a month or two, and come back to all these different game types that I had no idea how to play. At first I was annoyed, but then I experienced dino slayer, and it was amazing.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
I thought this game comes out in a few days but i see multiplayer games on youtube from June.

Was there a playable demo early like Halo 3?

I skipped reach because I didn't like the gameplay, hopefully this is better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

notbrant posted:

I thought this game comes out in a few days but i see multiplayer games on youtube from June.

Was there a playable demo early like Halo 3?

I skipped reach because I didn't like the gameplay, hopefully this is better.

Press copies, PR blitzes, playable stations at media events and expos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, after names like Pillar of Autumn, Forward Unto Dawn, and In Amber Clad, Infinity sounds pretty lame, like the UNSC stopped caring.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

343 stopped caring :smugdog:

You know, I really like the look of the weapons in this game, and the Promethean stuff all looks awesome, but I can't stand that sticky detonator. It looks like a turd grenade launcher pistol :effort:

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, after names like Pillar of Autumn, Forward Unto Dawn, and In Amber Clad, Infinity sounds pretty lame, like the UNSC stopped caring.

Maybe 343 is planning to set up the story that links Halo to Marathon??

ahaha not likely

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I bought Mountain Dew GAMER FUEL

what is wrong with me, I don't even like Mountain Dew.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

I was always confused when I'd be away from halo for a month or two, and come back to all these different game types that I had no idea how to play. At first I was annoyed, but then I experienced dino slayer, and it was amazing.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Dino Blasters, the Action Sack game variant? "Dino" is just a common nickname for "Elites," so I was talking about Elite Slayer, which is just Slayer with Elites instead of Spartans and Covenant weapons instead of UNSC weapons. Dino Blasters is jetpacks + concussion rifles hilarity.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Marvin_Gardens posted:

ahaha not likely

I doubt we'll even see any references to 7 that aren't directly in the Halo cannon. Since 3+4+3 is 10 we'll probably see some references to that, or maybe just the #1; Mister Chief is #1 and so is 343, we know this for a fact.

FishBulb posted:

I bought Mountain Dew GAMER FUEL

what is wrong with me, I don't even like Mountain Dew.

Halo fever gonna getcha!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Are you sure you're not thinking of Dino Blasters, the Action Sack game variant? "Dino" is just a common nickname for "Elites," so I was talking about Elite Slayer, which is just Slayer with Elites instead of Spartans and Covenant weapons instead of UNSC weapons. Dino Blasters is jetpacks + concussion rifles hilarity.

oh yeah, definitely dino blasters. That game mode is amazing.

http://majornelson.com/2012/10/30/official-halo-4-pre-release-live-stream-from-343-industries/ Here's a stream of multiplayer going on right now.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Marvin_Gardens posted:

ahaha not likely

I don't think they could, the Marathon IP is still owned by Bungie. When 343 did Halo Anniversary, they had to remove the Marathon symbol that was in Guilty Spark's "eye," since they no longer had the rights to that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you haven't yet, go watch the Spartan Ops: Season One trailer.

Oh, yeah, I saw that, I just mean I hope it's not a one-off thing. I want to see it gently caress up an entire enemy assault with the splash damage from one of its massive MAC cannons, like in The Thursday War. :black101:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

For sure, I wish Infinity had stuck to that weird and unique naming scheme. Maybe Infinity is short for 'Reflection on Infinity' or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I don't think they could, the Marathon IP is still owned by Bungie. When 343 did Halo Anniversary, they had to remove the Marathon symbol that was in Guilty Spark's "eye," since they no longer had the rights to that.

It was fun spotting all the Marathon references in Halo, too. I still like how in the first one, Master Chief wears the next version of the armor the Security Officer wears in Marathon. It's MJOLNIR Mk. IV in Marathon and Mk. V in Halo (then Mk. VI in Halo 2), and a lot of the weapons in Halo are variants of ones from Durandal. They even use the same model numbers in cases.

Didn't Activision or whoever ended up getting Bungie name drop a project named Marathon a while back or something?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 31, 2012

• Locked thread