Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Kudosx posted:

Do people really think Ralphie May is that unfunny? I've enjoyed most of his stand up that I've seen.

Ralphie may is a guy like Gabriel Inglesius for me. They are guys who are obviously good at what they do, and they have found their audience, but I just can't get into any of their comedy in the slightest. I will respect their hard work and dedication to comedy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

Who do you think the unfunniest comedian on Netflix streaming is, excluding the obvious Mencias, Sinbads, and Larry the Cable Guys. Ralpie May? Russel Peters?
Is Gabriel Iglesias on there?

I think Ralphie May is quite funny, honestly. And I'm a huge stand-up snob.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Saw Aziz working some new material at Crash Test at UCB last night. Was fun. He told one guy to please not record him because its new material and the guy didn't laugh the rest of the set which was funny because he had no reason to be pissed. He was asked nicely.

I saw Aziz come out unannounced at Crash Test in September and it was the same thing. But Nick Kroll came before him too and had to call out an audience member too. It's just inescapable these days, even at a venue where the comedy IQ is higher than most. Frankly, not everybody is a comedy snob who knows it's a faux pas to film someone working out new material. It's not their fault if they don't listen to every podcast to learn the inner workings. But yeah, that guy sounds like a little baby if he stopped laughing.

Ralphie May is loving funny.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Both Aziz Ansari and Chris Hardwick have new hour long specials on Comedy Central this Saturday, plus they're rerunning Amy Schumer's hour long. That's a pretty great block of comedy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Both Aziz Ansari and Chris Hardwick have new hour long specials on Comedy Central this Saturday, plus they're rerunning Amy Schumer's hour long. That's a pretty great block of comedy.

Amy Schumer censored by Comedy Central seems like it would be pretty terrible (see It's Always Sunny). Do they ever play the stand-ups uncensored like they do with South Park real late at night?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ariza posted:

Amy Schumer censored by Comedy Central seems like it would be pretty terrible (see It's Always Sunny). Do they ever play the stand-ups uncensored like they do with South Park real late at night?

That's how the whole uncensored thing started out. It was uncensored comedy specials and movies now it's lovely parody movies, south park, and Tosh.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

What time do they start uncensoring things? The first special of the night, Aziz Ansari's, airs at 10pm Eastern I think. Not that Aziz is very dirty, but Hardwick and Schumer curse a ton.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

quote:

HBO announces it's bringing @LouisCK back for a new standup special, to be taped from his current tour.

I am doing a standup special for HBO. It will be avail on http://louisck.com a few months after HBO, globally, 5$ no dmr

Uhh, what?

First Trent Reznor signs to a major and now Louis is heading back to HBO. It is what it is, and I don't really care that much since I'm a subscriber but I kind of liked the whole "directly towards the artist" way of distributing his specials.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

-Atom- posted:

Uhh, what?

First Trent Reznor signs to a major and now Louis is heading back to HBO. It is what it is, and I don't really care that much since I'm a subscriber but I kind of liked the whole "directly towards the artist" way of distributing his specials.

I don't pretend to know anything about the business, but based on Louis' fervor for the business model he created I would imagine that he cut a pretty good deal for himself here. It sounds like he'll get extra money (and probably extra production) from going with HBO, but can still appeal to the fans and have an extra revenue stream through the digital release. Knowing Louis, he's still probably going to want to be in control of most of the aspects of production. I think it was on O&A once where he really explained how much he did in Hilarious that isn't done in normal comedy specials, such as camera angles and editing.

I just wonder if waiting some months between them will cause people who would have paid $5 to pirate just to have it early. I don't have HBO and am easily willing to shell out five bucks for new standup, but being a lovely 21st century citizen means that I also want it immediately without waiting.

Ror fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

-Atom- posted:

Uhh, what?

It makes sense...kinda.

If you want to grow your fanbase, when you are already established, you have to play ball with the major corporations. Granted HBO isn't going to help when he's doing the late night rounds and SNL but they probably paid to play. The whole reason why he released the last special online was because the online players (Netflix/etc) offered him peanuts for it when he was shopping it around.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sporadic posted:

It makes sense...kinda.

If you want to grow your fanbase, when you are already established, you have to play ball with the major corporations. Granted HBO isn't going to help when he's doing the late night rounds and SNL but they probably paid to play. The whole reason why he released the last special online was because the online players (Netflix/etc) offered him peanuts for it when he was shopping it around.

Don't worry, he'll be fine, he's a literal billionaire that got rich off of Tig Notaro after he gave her cancer and killed her mom.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Al! posted:

Don't worry, he'll be fine, he's a literal billionaire that got rich off of Tig Notaro after he gave her cancer and killed her mom.

I almost spit my drat drink out. Well done.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I'm dumb as gently caress but I have to think that HBO viewed that as a desperately needed get. Even if they overpaid for it and don't own the distribution rights afterwards, getting the guy who kinda started the idea that comics need to break away from them to come back and work with them probably feels pretty important.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ror posted:

I don't have HBO and am easily willing to shell out five bucks for new standup, but being a lovely 21st century citizen means that I also want it immediately without waiting.
This is how I feel about the Netflix specials but those are very very hard to find through the typical channels. Part of me wants to pirate them then just cause of how they were released. I might actually have to wait til they're out on iTunes or something :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Booked flights from London to NYC for April, and definitely plan on checking one of the big comedy clubs out while I'm over there. Funnily enough, it's the same time period PFT booked a 9 day run in London, so while I know I won't get to see him over there it means I can spend an extra few nights in London and see him after I get over the jetlag. Should be super.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

If you want to get the most bounce per ounce I'd recommend checking out shows that aren't at the big famous clubs except maybe The Comedy Cellar super late show. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the NYC comedy scene so maybe someone else could point you in a better direction than "UCB, Bell House, uh.... google I guess."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Honestly, it seems like the NYC Comedy scene is fairly moribund at this point. Everybody has moved out to LA. I blame the extremely high cost of rent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'll probably scour the websites to see who's billed a month or two beforehand, and if nothing takes my fancy take a chance on somewhere that might get some good guests. Just strikes me as funny that I'm travelling thousands of miles to go somewhere, when someone on my 'most wanted' list is playing the UK. If I wasn't going on the trip, I probably wouldn't be able to justify going to London so it works out wonderfully. He's doing something like 11 days in a theatre that looks like it only has 150 seats and they're all unreserved. Sounds like my kinda show!

In my 'I really should listen/watch everything PFT has put out before going' task, I watched Driven to Drink earlier. Pretty amazing show, despite the fact he's not as on top of his game as he now. Definitely transcends simple stand up into performance art and would love to see him do a spiritual sequel to it now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Al! posted:

Honestly, it seems like the NYC Comedy scene is fairly moribund at this point. Everybody has moved out to LA. I blame the extremely high cost of rent.

I doubt rent in LA is much better, especially once you add in the fact that you legitimately NEED a car and the cost of gas to get loving anywhere. It's not like New York where you can sub/bus it to your sets. And there are more jobs in LA in the writing/producing area for TV and the internet to supplement their standup income. I think they're shooting less and less stuff in New York anymore. Plus commercial/acting work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, commercial acting work doesn't pay what it used to in NYC. What I commonly hear is that you move to NYC to get good, then you move to LA to get work.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, commercial acting work doesn't pay what it used to in NYC. What I commonly hear is that you move to NYC to get good, then you move to LA to get work.

Or just skip that first part and get good in LA as well.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

The pHo posted:

Yeah I'll probably scour the websites to see who's billed a month or two beforehand, and if nothing takes my fancy take a chance on somewhere that might get some good guests. Just strikes me as funny that I'm travelling thousands of miles to go somewhere, when someone on my 'most wanted' list is playing the UK. If I wasn't going on the trip, I probably wouldn't be able to justify going to London so it works out wonderfully. He's doing something like 11 days in a theatre that looks like it only has 150 seats and they're all unreserved. Sounds like my kinda show!

In my 'I really should listen/watch everything PFT has put out before going' task, I watched Driven to Drink earlier. Pretty amazing show, despite the fact he's not as on top of his game as he now. Definitely transcends simple stand up into performance art and would love to see him do a spiritual sequel to it now.
At the very least, go to Whiplash at the UCB on Monday nights. If you're in a not-strictly-stand-up mood, check out either ASSSSCAT show on Sundays.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Or just skip that first part and get good in LA as well.

It's much harder cause you can only get like 20-25% of the stage time. Anything would take a lot more time to get good at if you can't practice as much.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There are a billion places in LA to get stage time.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

soggybagel posted:

There are a billion places in LA to get stage time.

Yeah, but it's also not like NY. I've been doing comedy in LA for years, but there's just more mics per night in NY.

For NYC comedy, you should check out Mike Lawrence or Matt Koff. They're two of the funniest guys I've seen in NY. I don't know Mike's website, but you can check out http://www.mattkoff.com for his schedule.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
New Jeselnik special, premiering on CC-- 1/13/2013, being released on DVD 1/15/2013!!!!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

New Kyle Kinane special TONIGHT on Comedy Central at 11 EST!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Nice! And the album is coming out on the 27th.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

escape artist posted:

New Jeselnik special, premiering on CC-- 1/13/2013, being released on DVD 1/15/2013!!!!

To merge these two threads of conversation back together, I saw him workshop some of the material that (I assume) is on this special when I was in New York back in April at Whiplash at the UCB. So go see that. And ASSSSCAT, because improv is fun to watch and that's the best improv.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This was great but there were two unintentional things made me laugh.

- Them only cutting to smiling Asian people during his Asians bit.
- Five people slowly standing up at the end for a standing o...and nobody else joining in.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Asterios posted:

Yeah, but it's also not like NY. I've been doing comedy in LA for years, but there's just more mics per night in NY.

Also no one in LA wants to watch you be bad and get better.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Kroll was awesome tonight although the show seemed half as long as Chelsea's. He showed clips from his upcoming tv Chappelle show clone.

Gabe Liedman opened. I wish he had more time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'll take a dozen Chappelle Show clones as long as they're good. Also Janet Varney's supposed to be in it and she is the best.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

indigi posted:

I'll take a dozen Chappelle Show clones as long as they're good. Also Janet Varney's supposed to be in it and she is the best.
All the skits, four I think, we're really good. She was in two of them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Stewart Lee's new two hour standup special "Carpet Remnant World" is the greatest deconstruction of comedy I've ever seen. He's probably an acquired taste, but anyone who's liked any of his previous material owes it to themselves to check it out.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Yup, Carpet Remnant World is amazing. "Check it out if you like good stuff" is my review of it.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Stewart Lee's new two hour standup special "Carpet Remnant World" is the greatest deconstruction of comedy I've ever seen. He's probably an acquired taste, but anyone who's liked any of his previous material owes it to themselves to check it out.

Carpet Remanant World is an incredible performance from my hands down favorite comedian. I was fortunate enough to see it on it's very first night in Leicester Square then it's final night at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. You're definitely right about Lee being an acquired taste. I'd be really interested to see what people think of him in the states.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sometimes twitter is just perfect: https://twitter.com/JimNorton/status/276122153684975616

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Tea Bone posted:

Carpet Remanant World is an incredible performance from my hands down favorite comedian. I was fortunate enough to see it on it's very first night in Leicester Square then it's final night at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. You're definitely right about Lee being an acquired taste. I'd be really interested to see what people think of him in the states.

I hear about his brilliance all the time and would love to give him a shot, but I haven't found any real good starting places. I've seen his bit about Top Gear that people link constantly and he seems witty and acerbic but I guess I don't see any glimmers of the genius people talk about. I'd like to assume he has much tighter material than that though.

Unless he's one of those comedians with wise and clever words but not many actual jokes. I don't need a bunch of pithy one-liners, but I could never enjoy comedians like Bill Hicks for that reason, even while I respect them greatly. I don't really care about brilliance if it's not making me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ror posted:

I hear about his brilliance all the time and would love to give him a shot, but I haven't found any real good starting places. I've seen his bit about Top Gear that people link constantly and he seems witty and acerbic but I guess I don't see any glimmers of the genius people talk about. I'd like to assume he has much tighter material than that though.

41st Best Standup is probably the funniest one he's done overall, though not necessarily his best if that makes any sense. The whole of it is available on Youtube starting here. If you watch it all and still don't like him then you're probably not likely to enjoy the rest of his material, but his other standup specials are amazing and his show Comedy Vehicle is also really good even if the occasional sketch comedy bits were a bit lacking at times.