Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think it depresses me more for some reason when I see a kickstarter fail than when I see a released game flop. By all accounts it should be the other way around; maybe it's the kickstarter's slow death that gets to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope one of the stretch goals of the TLJ Kickstarter is taking combat and stealth sections out of the game.

Also I hope they get the composer for Dreamfall back, since that had an awesome soundtrack.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope one of the stretch goals of the TLJ Kickstarter is taking combat and stealth sections out of the game.

Ragnar Tørnquist posted:

It’s going to be an adventure game, it’s a going to be all about the story – there won’t be any twitch combat or button mashing or anything like that.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This has made my day. Maybe even week. I loved the poo poo out of Dreamfall even though it was covered in metaphorical weeping gameplay sores, just because The Longest Journey is one of my all-time favorites. I was really excited when I first heard of Secret World since the news got mangled on its way to me, and I thought for a long time that it was an MMO sequel in the same universe.

Basically, insert some combination of :pcgaming: :woop: and :supaburn:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I still think of Dreamfall's ending from time to time :smith:
Although, I wonder if the fanbase really is big enough to found a new game in the series?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Solenttar looks pretty good, in my humble opinion. It's a top-down turn-based RPG engine/toolset plus the first adventure module developed with that toolset. Think Realmz or FRUA, if that rings a bell. So if you like that kind of thing, $3 to support the project is a bargain, and $4000 isn't too high a goal. And you can even be a VIP supporter for a mere $5!

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be really sad if Hero-U doesn't make it. :(

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

CrookedB posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be really sad if Hero-U doesn't make it. :(

I think it's really hard to get excited about what they've shown. The only reason I pledged is because of their past work on QfG, not because Hero-U looks all that great.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Occupation and Shalinor, thanks very much for the advice. This is all very helpful and we had an official CORPORATE MEETING (i cannot believe this) where we discussed it. We have two physical rewards that are accounted for in the budget and have stretch goals up to about 250% (we will be lucky if we make it past 100%), although I am very nervous that they are too technical and dry for most people - they are mostly about ports. Are people interested in Mac ports? Console ports? These are options available to us but I honestly don't know if they are what people would consider worthy of funding. I'll need to study stretch goals a little bit more before we finalize anything.

Like I said before, the thing I am most worried about is contacting the press about this. We were extremely lucky with the original game - it blew up on its own and we didn't contact anybody. I have no idea HOW to approach people about this without feeling like I'm begging for something. What do I say? We also will not have a demo ready in time for the press, although we are actively working toward a polished prototype for the middle of the Kickstarter and I'm afraid this will detract from our credibility. Of course there will be pictures, videos, music and other media (we have an ace up our sleeve!!) but I am afraid the fact that there won't be anything initially playable for either the public or the press is a big detractor. Is telling the press that we don't have anything initially playable, but giving them early access to pictures and information alright? How can I do this in a way that ensures press people will even care?

gaoierhgaoierha god i am so nervous i am sorry for being a big blubbering pile of jello

And thank you for your advice. It is very, very helpful.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Renoistic posted:

Although, I wonder if the fanbase really is big enough to found a new game in the series?

If Ragnar's crowdfunding effort's description includes, "If this game does not get funded, the saga of The Longest Journey will never, ever, ever be finished," he will become richer than Google sooner than you can say, "Do numbers even go that high?"

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'd just like to add that I'll be as supportive as I can for the Shut Up and Jam Gaiden kickstarter and will do my damndest to spread the word.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Chef Boyardee posted:

Occupation and Shalinor, thanks very much for the advice. This is all very helpful and we had an official CORPORATE MEETING (i cannot believe this) where we discussed it. We have two physical rewards that are accounted for in the budget and have stretch goals up to about 250% (we will be lucky if we make it past 100%), although I am very nervous that they are too technical and dry for most people - they are mostly about ports. Are people interested in Mac ports? Console ports? These are options available to us but I honestly don't know if they are what people would consider worthy of funding. I'll need to study stretch goals a little bit more before we finalize anything.

Like I said before, the thing I am most worried about is contacting the press about this. We were extremely lucky with the original game - it blew up on its own and we didn't contact anybody. I have no idea HOW to approach people about this without feeling like I'm begging for something. What do I say? We also will not have a demo ready in time for the press, although we are actively working toward a polished prototype for the middle of the Kickstarter and I'm afraid this will detract from our credibility. Of course there will be pictures, videos, music and other media (we have an ace up our sleeve!!) but I am afraid the fact that there won't be anything initially playable for either the public or the press is a big detractor. Is telling the press that we don't have anything initially playable, but giving them early access to pictures and information alright? How can I do this in a way that ensures press people will even care?

gaoierhgaoierha god i am so nervous i am sorry for being a big blubbering pile of jello

And thank you for your advice. It is very, very helpful.

Have you decided how you're going to manage the potential legal issues? For one, Shut Up and Jam's publisher in Europe was Sony Imagesoft.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Hero-U update

Well they basically said it costs too much money to make it in the Sierra fashion (How much are they paying themselves here?) so they're going top down to save effort/money.

Since its not really a Quest for Glory game I'm not too upset, as its lost momentum and probably wont crack 1/2 Way.

I think I speak for most QFG fans and say it was the art style that made the game, look how many people hated QFG 5 - same characters, lovely execution.
You got a few nostalgia bucks, but unless you start reminding people how much fun they had playing the originals they likely wont give a poo poo just because it has your name on it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is the Ragnar Tornquist announcement thing the kind of thing that can get its own thread since it would be a general discussion thread for the series as much as for the Kickstarter?

I mainly ask because The Longest Journey was the game that drove me into quitting adventure games forever, and I would love to have a discussion about it in some appropriate thread to see if I just really, really missed something or what :shobon:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Quarex posted:

Is the Ragnar Tornquist announcement thing the kind of thing that can get its own thread since it would be a general discussion thread for the series as much as for the Kickstarter?

There is one. Not a whole lot of content yet, but there's not a lot to go on besides the announcement and an interview or two.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

GateheaD posted:

You got a few nostalgia bucks, but unless you start reminding people how much fun they had playing the originals they likely wont give a poo poo just because it has your name on it.

I've backed it, and I'd like to see it succeed, but the things they've been talking about in the updates just make me shake my head. Claiming that NPC behavior will be so emergent that you'll never be able to write a walkthrough, and blaming shooters for the death of adventure games. It's like they've spent the last ten years in a block of ice.

Quarex posted:

I mainly ask because The Longest Journey was the game that drove me into quitting adventure games forever, and I would love to have a discussion about it in some appropriate thread to see if I just really, really missed something or what :shobon:

As a story, it's really quite good. The universes are well conceived, and I was happy to see the writing sidestep a trope that I find particularly odious near the very end.

As a game, not so much. There's more than one utterly obtuse puzzle and the rest aren't really much to write home about. Some fit into the narrative well, some don't. It's really hit and miss.

Dreamfall was worse for me because in addition to terrible fighting and sneaking sequences, great hunks were missing from the story. No exaggeration, I learned more about the occupying forces in Arcadia from a magazine interview than I did from playing the game. I really hope they go back to TLJ's writing style for the new one, instead of leaving out hunks of story for the sake of preserving the 'mystery' for episodic sequels that never materialized.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Shalinor posted:

It is definitely not a Kickstarter yet, but Ragnar Tornquist just went independent, and got the rights to The Longest Journey back.

I would be very, very surprised if we didn't see a KS for the third game in the series soon. I am so freaking excited - the last game ended on a cliffhanger, and the writing has been fantastic throughout the series.

Can Kickstarters be started in whichever country Ragnar is currently in, or would he have to resort to Indiegogo, aka Shittyshitshit?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GateheaD posted:

Hero-U update

Well they basically said it costs too much money to make it in the Sierra fashion (How much are they paying themselves here?) so they're going top down to save effort/money.

Since its not really a Quest for Glory game I'm not too upset, as its lost momentum and probably wont crack 1/2 Way.

I think I speak for most QFG fans and say it was the art style that made the game, look how many people hated QFG 5 - same characters, lovely execution.

If that's the case, then I wish they would have went for a bigger goal and kept the "sierra style" rather than compromising the game's quality. It probably would have been better received.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Al! posted:

Is it worth going back and playing Dreamfall if he announces his intention to finish the series (although I guess licencing the properties is as good as that)? I didn't get very far because of the action stuff they put in.

Yes, I think so. I still like the story in Dreamfall and it is a beautiful game. The action stuff is dumb and pointless, but it's not unplayable or difficult or anything.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Things are looking grim for Distance. :( The new gameplay footage looks much more interesting, they really improved the feeling of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZEn4b69eM

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

GateheaD posted:

Hero-U update

This is a pretty lovely thing for them to say, honestly.

quote:

Quest for Glory IV cost almost $1 million to make back in 1993 when most of the developers earned $15/hour. Costs are higher now.
They don't really believe this, do they? Sure, it's going to cost more to do things better, but using the cost-of-production of a 1993-era game as the benchmark for their 2012-era game is just insane. The cost for a QFG IV-style engine is probably a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of actually designing a game worth playing, nowadays. There's no struggle with hardware constraints and it's not like they're trekking new territory doing it, either.

Like you said, how much are they paying themselves here (from the kickstarter)? It's like they assume that the money pledged is all they'll be receiving (so that is their entire income for the project), which gives the impression that they don't predict a salable end result whatsoever.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Looks like "British Indie Stalker: The Game", Sir, You Are Being Hunted is now on KS, with a goal of £40K.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

YourAverageJoe posted:

Things are looking grim for Distance. :( The new gameplay footage looks much more interesting, they really improved the feeling of speed.

It seems like they should have considered release dates. All the people that are interested in those kinds of games can go get brand new versions of Need for Speed or Forza right now. It should have happened 6 months ago or 6 months from now when people are tired of the normal driving mechanics/crashing and the flying mechanic looks like a cool and fun new spin on things.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kickstarter UK doesn't want my credit card. Well gently caress them, I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So... distance is Wipeout without weapons?

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Had been waiting a while for Sir, You Are Being Hunted and Maia to start asking for money. In Kickstarter terms I guess they are a while off being released (though sooner than some) but they're both really exciting projects that I'm pretty certain will be great games to play, and with reputable developers behind them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

It seems like they should have considered release dates. All the people that are interested in those kinds of games can go get brand new versions of Need for Speed or Forza right now. It should have happened 6 months ago or 6 months from now when people are tired of the normal driving mechanics/crashing and the flying mechanic looks like a cool and fun new spin on things.

Forza fans really aren't part of their market but I can definitely see your point. SCE Studio London shut down just a few months ago and I bet they coulda snagged a lot more disgruntled Wipeout fans by starting just a few days after. With the amount of work it looks like they've already put into Distance, that should have been a real possibility, too.

MikeJF posted:

So... distance is Wipeout without weapons?

Distance is Nitronic Rush with exploration mechanics and online multiplayer. A lot of what Wipeout does to look cool, Nitronic Rush expects you to do just to survive the course. The central mechanics are the rocket boosters, heat and downforce. You need downforce to keep going on the ceiling, and the best way to get it before your wheels get to sticking to the surface is boosting. The hind-booster heats you up, and the only two ways of getting rid of heat are passing a checkpoint and doing tricks in the air. This all comes together in challenge runs such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJWd-gHlH8s

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 2, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Chef Boyardee posted:

We have two physical rewards that are accounted for in the budget and have stretch goals up to about 250% (we will be lucky if we make it past 100%), although I am very nervous that they are too technical and dry for most people - they are mostly about ports. Are people interested in Mac ports? Console ports? These are options available to us but I honestly don't know if they are what people would consider worthy of funding. I'll need to study stretch goals a little bit more before we finalize anything.

Backers love ports, especially Mac/console/iOS ports. Generally, though, backers really love stretch goals that deliver more content; something like "if we get 200% funded we'll include more characters/levels/story/a hub/multiplayer/etc"

quote:

Like I said before, the thing I am most worried about is contacting the press about this. We were extremely lucky with the original game - it blew up on its own and we didn't contact anybody. I have no idea HOW to approach people about this without feeling like I'm begging for something. What do I say?

Trying to get into contact with big video game websites will be key. You might want to pm Chewbot for the specifics; his KS got a ton of press coverage and I bet he could give you some pointers on who to contact to get press coverage in the games journalism landscape. I think you're also underestimating SUaJ:G's level of underground popularity; I'm imagining that a lot of the gruntwork will be done for you once Kotaku/RPS/etc figures out you're making a sequel and they'll give you a bunch of free press, because the original game was a pretty loving big hit. If so, then they might be looking to contact you for information/interviews.

quote:

We also will not have a demo ready in time for the press, although we are actively working toward a polished prototype for the middle of the Kickstarter and I'm afraid this will detract from our credibility. Of course there will be pictures, videos, music and other media (we have an ace up our sleeve!!) but I am afraid the fact that there won't be anything initially playable for either the public or the press is a big detractor. Is telling the press that we don't have anything initially playable, but giving them early access to pictures and information alright? How can I do this in a way that ensures press people will even care?

I think I can remember like, two game KS's that had a playable demo when they launched. Believe me the vast vast VAST majority of KS's don't have anything beyond concept art/vague proposal (I mean Double Fine's pitch was an "adventure game" and Obsidian's pitch was "isometric RPG". That's it. Even the Wasteland 2 pitch was a really, really vague one in the sense of proposing how the game would actually, you know, play.). If you have all the stuff you say you do (demo videos, in-game screenshots, and music) already ready to go you're vastly far ahead of most other proposals from the get-go. Really, as long as you stress that you made SUaJ:G and include a download link to part one on the pitch page for people to try the game out, tons of people will back you; you have a history of creating playable, interesting, hilarious games (so people won't feel like you're a gamble/unknown) and an already-established playerbase of fans of the first game, which will help you get news coverage just because it's fairly notable that a sequel to Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is being developed.

I must stress though: try to contact Andrew Hussie if you can and ask him to mention your KS in a blog update, especially because if you can tap even a tiny portion of MSPA fans you'll be good. They're...a very zealous group of people.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Occupation posted:

I must stress though: try to contact Andrew Hussie if you can and ask him to mention your KS in a blog update, especially because if you can tap even a tiny portion of MSPA fans you'll be good. They're...a very zealous group of people.

Homestuck is down due to Hurricane Sandy, and there's no telling when it'll be back up. Andrew has a Tumblr, though.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Some of us have been waiting six years so that TSW could be an obvious flop and Tornquist would come back. Don't spoil the moment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

the black husserl posted:

Some of us have been waiting six years so that TSW could be an obvious flop and Tornquist would come back. Don't spoil the moment.

I realize that in the back of my head, I was thinking this too. Not really hoping, but just thinking it.

Man.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

Things are not looking so good for Hero-U.

This seriously bums me out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Remember the Alpha Colony guys? The M.U.L.E tribute that kind of got stuck between the Bunten family and fan community, what with the drama surrounding Dan/Danielle Bunten? Also, they were asking too much?

... well they're back! Only with a more reasonable goal, and having moved past any official connection to M.U.L.E. The game looks a bit better too, having evolved into something more of its own.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I am tangentially related to this project. If it funds, I'd be one of the people coding it. Everything you see right now, though, I've had nothing to do with - that's all Chris working stupid long hours.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 3, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So there's yet another MMO on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1688404825/gloria-victis-dark-medieval-mmorpg

Apparently it's going for a cross between Gothic and Mount & Blade. I am not sure, but I kinda like them.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Seems to be a lot of stuff in the Interesting-But-Doomed category at the moment

The Ship: Full Steam Ahead - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/709089895/the-ship-full-steam-ahead - Sequel to multiplayer assassination game The Ship, which I remember having a lot of fun with when it came out. The video is cringe-inducing though.

MaK - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1125462381/mak - Mario Galaxy meets Little Big Planet?

Sui Generis - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis - physics-centric open world fantasy RPG, kind of thing I'm generally very sceptical of, but the video made me sit up and take notice, especially the possibilities of the combat.

Kung Fu Superstar - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kostaszarifis/kung-fu-superstar-become-the-ultimate-martial-arts - Clang with martial arts instead of swordfighting, and without the draw of Neal Stephenson and Gabe Newell (I'm not sure Peter Molyneaux appearing in your video can be considered a plus).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Illessa posted:

The Ship: Full Steam Ahead - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/709089895/the-ship-full-steam-ahead - Sequel to multiplayer assassination game The Ship, which I remember having a lot of fun with when it came out. The video is cringe-inducing though.

The video is produced well enough but good god could they pander any more to steampunk fetishists? I think "steampunk" is every fourth word on the page.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has Fields of Fresh been mentioned? Because the entry for Jezebel and her 'glory' (their scare quotes) on the main page is worth the price of admission alone.

Hero-U sent an update out the other day, and it's basically them repeating themselves on their claims of emergent gameplay, with a bit of 'oh yeah, you've got skills like in QFG too'. I'm really not keen on the odds of the Coles pulling it off, even if I thought their drive was going to make it now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ouya update, they have a PCB now.

Kickstarter Blog, October 31st posted:

LET’S TALK HARDWARE:

We’re still going full-steam ahead. We’ve been refining OUYA’s hardware design (cosmetics, mechanicals, electricals, thermals etc.). We’ve spent most of this time in the design phase, as getting it right up front saves us a lot of redesign and iteration later. We’ve had some of the best engineers and designers take a look at every design element and fine tune it. Our CAD models and SLAs (plastic prototypes that provide us with a physical look and feel of the product) are finished, and we moved out of the design phase and into development a couple of weeks ago.

Last week was a huge milestone for us -- we received our first development run of PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) for the console. This is the heart (and we believe the soul) of the OUYA experience. It’s pretty amazing how our engineers have packed in Quad-Core awesomeness into such an unbelievably small package (any guesses on how small the PCB actually is?). All the hard work in refining the design has paid off in spades -- the first boards came to life without any hitches, and we’re now fine tuning software and hardware performance for graphics, wireless, and user experience! W00t.

We are now in what’s referred to in the industry as the EVT (Engineering Verification Testing) phase.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/339520

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Illessa posted:

Sui Generis - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis - physics-centric open world fantasy RPG, kind of thing I'm generally very sceptical of, but the video made me sit up and take notice, especially the possibilities of the combat.

I really hope that Sui Generis gets funded. I am seriously considering to back it now. The combat looks amazing, even though it can look a bit wobbly. I am a sucker for animation and physics anyway.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Torabi posted:

I really hope that Sui Generis gets funded. I am seriously considering to back it now. The combat looks amazing, even though it can look a bit wobbly. I am a sucker for animation and physics anyway.
It would be more compelling if the people didn't run like robots and fight like drunken four year olds. Dynamic animation is hard as gently caress and I'm sure given time and money they could iron this stuff out, so it's unfortunate that they don't have the support they need to make it look super polished before asking for money from backers, but when your characters keep their torsos almost entirely rigid while running and when the majority of the weapon swing is done by the arm without the rest of the body really participating, you enter a sort of animation uncanny valley where it looks much worse than Diablo style "everyone just wails on each other."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Megazver posted:

So there's yet another MMO on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1688404825/gloria-victis-dark-medieval-mmorpg

Apparently it's going for a cross between Gothic and Mount & Blade. I am not sure, but I kinda like them.

It looks interesting, I just wish it wasn't an MMO since lag can ruin this style of combat.. Ah well, finances willing I'll plonk some money on this.