Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I got villagers, I got carrots, and I got potatoes. My forest town is JUST shy of being called "complete," barring a few minor things to add.

How do you guys handle your villagers? I've been herding them into my various homes and fencing them in place so they won't wander (also prison). It seems kind of weird to treat them along the same lines as livestock, though. Also I have a LOT of priests compared to other professions, and a lot of my villagers want to sell me stuff instead of buy stuff, which makes stockpiling emeralds very difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

i like tacos posted:

What texture pack is that? I'm a sucker for minimal style texture packs.

I was going to suggest Frenden but apparently that hasn't been updated in a long, long time :smith: The amount of variety in available texture packs has really plummeted over the past year with the sheer volume of new graphics pixel-pushers have to account for. Kas has the patience of a saint to do what he does.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Mammal Sauce posted:

I was going to suggest Frenden but apparently that hasn't been updated in a long, long time :smith: The amount of variety in available texture packs has really plummeted over the past year with the sheer volume of new graphics pixel-pushers have to account for. Kas has the patience of a saint to do what he does.

Yeah which is why I asked. :smith:
Kas is a god. I still go back to his texture packs.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

i like tacos posted:

What texture pack is that? I'm a sucker for minimal style texture packs.

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's the Maxpack. I found it looking for a Frenden-like replacement.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Do we still have that bug where mobs can glitch out of fences? I'd like to start a wool farm but if the sheep are just gonna get free I won't bother.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I don't think they can get out of fences anymore. I use pits for my livestock, but I have a fence separating my cows and chickens, and haven't had any problems with them phasing through and getting out, or jumping the fence.

There's a new glitch where mobs sink into the floor, so I don't know if that has any impact on mobs escaping or not. Funnily enough, this was listed as a bug they fixed in 1.4, but I'd never even seen it UNTIL 1.4, so good job there.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Speaking of minimal styles, anyone know if the Tronic pack is still updating somewhere? I always loved the look, but the website says it was last updated in 2011. :(

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Since it is a popular request, I'll see about adding a 'tronic-style' painterly set for everything for those who want to make that sort of thing if the market for texture packs is that dead these days as people are saying - the challenge will pretty much be getting it to fit painterly style, so to speak for those who still want to mix and match in all the silly ways.

No promises but I do like to try to make goons happy so I'll put it on the list. :)

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I use the OCD pack for my minimalist texture pack needs. I havent checked to see if it has been updated to 1.4 but it certainly is 1.3.x compatible!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kas posted:

Since it is a popular request, I'll see about adding a 'tronic-style' painterly set for everything for those who want to make that sort of thing if the market for texture packs is that dead these days as people are saying - the challenge will pretty much be getting it to fit painterly style, so to speak for those who still want to mix and match in all the silly ways.

No promises but I do like to try to make goons happy so I'll put it on the list. :)

You are a better participant in the minecraft community than Mojang. Thanks!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kas posted:

the challenge will pretty much be getting it to fit painterly style, so to speak for those who still want to mix and match in all the silly ways.

Tronic and Painterly-style-heavy-dithering are about as polar opposite as you can get, aren't they? Good luck! I'm very curious about how that'll turn out.

Also, the amount of effort you put in for community requests like this is, as always, amazing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 1, 2012

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

kas posted:

I've seen a few tronic+ updates here and there but to get it up to date would be amazing, it's one of my favourites! Bravo in advance :D

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

MrGreenShirt posted:

Speaking of minimal styles, anyone know if the Tronic pack is still updating somewhere? I always loved the look, but the website says it was last updated in 2011. :(

There used to be a few of that kind of pack around but oddly they all seemed to stop updating around the same time, personally I liked Piehole but that disappeared as well.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

kas posted:

I remember back in the day you had a Painterly Simple or something to that effect. That was my goto texture pack when it was available!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

kas posted:

A 'tronic-style' painterly pack would be something I'd download instantly. Having a clean texture pack is nice sometimes :)

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I found a Tronic Faithful pack for 1.3.2 and 1.4+. I haven't used Tronic before, so I can't speak for its quality, but here it is if you want to try it out.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know the name of that soft pastel color pack? I think it was featured on yogcast a few times like when they showed off that fairy mod

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 1, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The one that was used in the Fairy video was girlcraft.

For a pastelly look that's a little less over the top, I quite like lucid, which looks like this.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

There's a new glitch where mobs sink into the floor, so I don't know if that has any impact on mobs escaping or not. Funnily enough, this was listed as a bug they fixed in 1.4, but I'd never even seen it UNTIL 1.4, so good job there.

As far as I know the "phasing into the ground" glitch in 1.3.x was limited to villagers only. If their "fix" somehow now makes the glitch affect other mobs that's hilarious.

MikeJF posted:

Tronic and Painterly-style-heavy-dithering are about as polar opposite as you can get, aren't they? Good luck! I'm very curious about how that'll turn out.

Also, the amount of effort you put in for community requests like this is, as always, amazing.

Yeah, also Tronic is 32x. I'm not sure the fine-outline style it uses can translate to a 16x pack, but then again you may just be going for "simple" and not so much "just like Tronic."

What I'd really love to see is full Technic/Tekkit support from painterly, but gently caress if I'm about to ask for it. There are like a hundred billion new textures, I wouldn't want to foist that on anybody.

The only standard resolution packs that support it I've found are Sphax, which looks awful at 16x, and Isabella, which looks like somebody turned the saturation on the world down to 40% (also awful).

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone else getting a weird demonic growl + roar occasionally? I've had it happen twice now. The best description I can give is that it sound reminiscent of the "cave nearby" noise, only louder, longer, and distorted to sound like something from the pit of hell.

That is an enderman sound, like people said, but you don't have to look at them to trigger it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Boat posted:

As far as I know the "phasing into the ground" glitch in 1.3.x was limited to villagers only. If their "fix" somehow now makes the glitch affect other mobs that's hilarious.

Both villagers and mobs now sink through the floor! I've seen a bunch of skeletons and zombies do it. I don't get how a bug like that sneaks through with all the snapshots they release.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Both villagers and mobs now sink through the floor! I've seen a bunch of skeletons and zombies do it. I don't get how a bug like that sneaks through with all the snapshots they release.

Probably an unforeseen reaction to Jeb fixing the mob suffication problem in the 1.4.1 pre-release. To be fair on that, it was only out for a day before the patch went official. I'm unsure if that bug has been reported yet or not, if it really bothers you, you might want to check and make a report on their tracker.

Good news is that 1.4.3 is coming out next Wednesday containing a over 100 bug fixes.

Jeb stated that he wanted to fit more into this patch, but the devs were starting to worry that with so many fixes at once if new bugs might start being created by all the changes in the code. Still, 100 bug fixes is a huge number and I think may be one of the biggest bug patches we've seen in a long time. Seems like they are really using the new bug tracker, wonder if they will do a 1.4.4 for more bug fixes are start working on 1.5 with bug fixes on the side.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enzer posted:

Probably an unforeseen reaction to Jeb fixing the mob suffication problem in the 1.4.1 pre-release. To be fair on that, it was only out for a day before the patch went official. I'm unsure if that bug has been reported yet or not, if it really bothers you, you might want to check and make a report on their tracker.

Good news is that 1.4.3 is coming out next Wednesday containing a over 100 bug fixes.

Jeb stated that he wanted to fit more into this patch, but the devs were starting to worry that with so many fixes at once if new bugs might start being created by all the changes in the code. Still, 100 bug fixes is a huge number and I think may be one of the biggest bug patches we've seen in a long time. Seems like they are really using the new bug tracker, wonder if they will do a 1.4.4 for more bug fixes are start working on 1.5 with bug fixes on the side.

That's pretty cool.

I think there should be a movement to push Dinnerbone to implementing a recipe/crafting thing like the X-box version. There's too much stuff! I actually forgot about pots and frames until just now. I have to keep a browser window open to a wiki just to play.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

That's pretty cool.

I think there should be a movement to push Dinnerbone to implementing a recipe/crafting thing like the X-box version. There's too much stuff! I actually forgot about pots and frames until just now. I have to keep a browser window open to a wiki just to play.

Maybe an option to switch between the two crafting systems. I personally don't have much of an issue remember what blocks exist in vanilla minecraft and which ones require crafting/what their recipe is. Maybe it is because I'm used to playing with a poo poo ton of mods that have tons of new blocks with multistage crafting.. those I usually have to reference every now and again, but vanilla stuff seems to be burned into my mind.

Then again I also have a tendency to remember really stupid information about games. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

"[MC-39] - Mobs in minecarts can vanish when minecarts are broken"

I wonder if this applies to Spider Jockeys as well. I kill the spider, the skeleton turns invisible and I can't hit it (I know where the fucker is too, so I'm not missing). I have to let a creeper blow up, and that kills it.

Also yay, phantom fires being fixed.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
[MC-973] - Bat noises are painful and cause headaches.

Thank god. Those were obnoxious.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Thank Christ they're actually using a bug tracker now.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ToastyPotato posted:

That's pretty cool.

Could always play modded with NEI.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

kas posted:

This is awesome. You are awesome.

Edit: Trying to go to the Minecraft Forums from Google shows a warning page which says the website is unsafe. What's up with that?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kassad posted:

Edit: Trying to go to the Minecraft Forums from Google shows a warning page which says the website is unsafe. What's up with that?

You mean the wiki?

Poorly secured wikis are a great target for malware distribution, and it looks like the Minecraft wiki was poorly secured.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

You mean the wiki?

Poorly secured wikis are a great target for malware distribution, and it looks like the Minecraft wiki was poorly secured.

I got the warning for both the wiki and the forums.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Kassad posted:

This is awesome. You are awesome.

The minecraft wiki is part of the curse network of sites, some of their other sites are getting similar warnings, it's probably a bad ad that triggered it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

kas posted:

Much appreciated, kas. You're the best!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

You mean the wiki?

This is why I love noscript. And VMs. And noscript running inside VMs.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Boat posted:

What I'd really love to see is full Technic/Tekkit support from painterly, but gently caress if I'm about to ask for it. There are like a hundred billion new textures, I wouldn't want to foist that on anybody.

Believe it or not this actually IS on my longterm list of things to do and has been for a while because I AM OUT OF MY GODDAMN MIND and apparently like flagrant self-abuse.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Notable: Slimes have correct collision box

Does this mean what I think it means? Does this mean that large groups of slimes will no longer be insanely buggy? Does this mean you wont get pushed around by phantom slimes that aren't anywhere near you? Does this mean you'll actually be able to reliably hit slimes when swinging right at them?

Bugfix of the year. This poo poo has been broken for so long, and is easily the worst part of any custom map that used slimes.

edit: Is it me, or is water WAY stronger in 1.4.3? I haven't played 1.4 at all, so maybe that was a 1.4 change. But I can't fight the currents in 1.4.3. I can't even swim up falling water. It's kind of ridiculous.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 2, 2012

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Hey, so, is there some kind of known issue where redstone clock systems like to just completely lock up? Like, if you have a clock made of torches and repeaters, you leave far enough to de-load the chunk, then come back, it's a total crap shoot on whether the clock is still working or if it's just sitting there, power saturated or paradoxical.

One of the ones I built is an inherently unstable 5-clock*, and sometimes when I come back I find the clock just sitting there. Like, with the repeater powered, but nothing else is, and the signal isn't running down on the repeater. I checked, and none of the clocks are straddling chunk edges.

It's almost like the repeater occasionally thinks it's being signal-locked by a perpendicular repeater, and just sitting there. Of course, I've also had powered redstone torches sitting next to a line of redstone, and the signal's not propagating into the redstone dust. So maybe it's that the redstone ticks aren't updating?

Meanwhile, I have one of these clocks in the group that's fine. It's never hung up or saturated, and it's the exact same design and settings as the others.

Very strange.

*torch on side of block, redstone line away from torch leading to a repeater set to 4, and that repeater is injecting back into the original block. When the repeater gets powered it should shut off the torch, then depower, repeat

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Notable: Slimes have correct collision box

Does this mean what I think it means? Does this mean that large groups of slimes will no longer be insanely buggy? Does this mean you wont get pushed around by phantom slimes that aren't anywhere near you? Does this mean you'll actually be able to reliably hit slimes when swinging right at them?

Bugfix of the year. This poo poo has been broken for so long, and is easily the worst part of any custom map that used slimes.

edit: Is it me, or is water WAY stronger in 1.4.3? I haven't played 1.4 at all, so maybe that was a 1.4 change. But I can't fight the currents in 1.4.3. I can't even swim up falling water. It's kind of ridiculous.

Now they just need to fix collision boxes for every other mob and we'll be all set.

Seriously. Ever sense the merging of the single player and multiplayer code, I have been completely unable to melee anything without them hitting me first or at the same time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some of the new sound effects are throwing me off. Everytime I walk over sand I think a slime is nearby, even when I'm standing above ground nowhere near where they spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Hey, so, is there some kind of known issue where redstone clock systems like to just completely lock up? Like, if you have a clock made of torches and repeaters, you leave far enough to de-load the chunk, then come back, it's a total crap shoot on whether the clock is still working or if it's just sitting there, power saturated or paradoxical.
Yes. You can use a minecart track in a loop and it won't shut off.