Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whiskas
May 30, 2005
Umbra is VERY effective against exos. You have a lerk umbra a room, and then have everyone rush in and kill kill kill. Umbra effectively doubles your HP (with the exception of damage from grenades, mines and flamethrowers).

As someone who has been playing in the beta for almost a year, it can be a bit frustrating watching new commanders. Basic things like not putting an observatory in the main base, or building 3 hives before you have even a single upgrade are things I have witnessed. Hopefully in a few weeks people will get a hang of the game and you can start seeing some really tense and epic battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really wish there was an easier way to see what's being upgraded/researched, unless there is and I'm just new and can't find it. like just being able to press a hot key and see what's being in the pipe would be really useful, especially with a non verbal commander or just not a very chatty one.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really wish there was an easier way to see what's being upgraded/researched, unless there is and I'm just new and can't find it. like just being able to press a hot key and see what's being in the pipe would be really useful, especially with a non verbal commander or just not a very chatty one.

You can look at buildings and they'll display what they're researching or building.

So you might look at an armory and it'd say "researching shotguns (XX%)" inside a little spinny progress indicator.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I seem to remember in NS1 you could vote for the commander or something like that. Is it really just a race to the chair here or is there something like that which I have yet to notice in this game?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lorem ipsum posted:

I seem to remember in NS1 you could vote for the commander or something like that. Is it really just a race to the chair here or is there something like that which I have yet to notice in this game?
You remember wrong. It has always been a race for the chair. If you don't like the commander, you can vote them out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

Hold X for the vocalization menu, the option to vote to eject the commander is at 12 o'clock.

e: At least Tycho answered your actual question :v:

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Arrath posted:

Hold X for the vocalization menu, the option to vote to eject the commander is at 12 o'clock.

e: At least Tycho answered your actual question :v:

Oh cool, didn't see that for some reason. I totally believe that my memory isn't 100% accurate and what Tycho said sounds about right. Guess i'll never get to play commander since I load too drat slow.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its great they fixed the twitchy server list but now my game crashes after like 15-20 minutes. Always when I'm about to be an onos :saddowns:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Sometimes I see two servers with the same ping and they swap positions repeatedly for no visible reason. Is it that they're sorting the list repeatedly with a non-stable algorithm?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
New NS2 goon server is up over in this thread.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

AgentF posted:

Sometimes I see two servers with the same ping and they swap positions repeatedly for no visible reason. Is it that they're sorting the list repeatedly with a non-stable algorithm?

Its been fixed in build 228 which is out now. Basically the sorting was going a little crazy.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Is the precache bug fixed too? I've been unable to play since launch.

Morek
Nov 23, 2006
They posted saying it's fixed with the last build (today). I haven't been stuck precaching since then so it seems fixed.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
There is precious little talk about strategy here, let's fix that.

Alien Strat
I'm fond of early carapace/celerity to harass those early marines, keeping them penned in until you can plop down the second hive. You would also see this most often in beta matches. The only other variation I saw then was the fast second hive + leap before other upgrades.

For some reason though, I see a lot more camouflage openings, what the hell? Can these be attributed to new commanders who think camo is ~awesome~ or did this become a valid opener recently.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I can't imagine why camo would ever be an opener ever. On most maps I like to start with celerity, having shifts is also useful for reinforcing contested positions and for helping a gorge speed build the second hive when you get to it. If I do use a shade hive, it will be for silence.

I don't think I've ever used a crag hive first. Right now the crags give very little in the way of bonus healing to structures - it would be great if they helped speed the construction of things around them, maybe in a diminishing returns kind of way (so that perhaps up to say four crags within a cluster worked to a certain maximum efficiency).

I can't say much for marines in terms of definite strategy, I tend to go with my gut almost all of the time and try to prioritise. I usually try to get phase gates early, though. I've seen entire teams get a shotgun once they become available, which makes me think the newer community must see them as a direct upgrade to the LMG.

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Supernorn, are you mad?

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/videos/2012/10/30/natural-selection-2-review/

(I'm in no way affiliated with this review or the reviewer)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
That's a terrible review. It's pretty much just complaining that it isn't exactly like NS1 and unsourced poo poo like

"...some would argue that Unknown World itself isn't really independent."

Who exactly is arguing that, how how exactly is that substantiated in any way?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I've only played alien commander so far. What should I be focusing on as marines commander?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

7c Nickel posted:

That's a terrible review. It's pretty much just complaining that it isn't exactly like NS1 and unsourced poo poo like

"...some would argue that Unknown World itself isn't really independent."

Who exactly is arguing that, how how exactly is that substantiated in any way?

What would you expect from a miniscule enthusiast review site that likely got more hits from being linked here than they do in an entire week otherwise?

To weigh in on the game as someone from the olden days of NS, this version feels great so far.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
I got to play a handful of games as marine commander and liked it a lot more than playing infantry. One game I had a super helpful vet who was really patient, another one I had some really irritating people spamming for orders when I had my hands really full. It's definitely not newbie friendly to learn commander, as someone who has played RTS games and FPS on a competitive level for over a decade I found it somewhat overwhelming to keep track of everything on the map, healing and ammoing troops and making sure we had upgrades and infrastructure built. That being said after just a couple games practice things were infinitely easier. I think the stress of knowing that any little fuckup is being judged by actual player units and not computer units makes it much harder to relax and learn.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Beef posted:

I've only played alien commander so far. What should I be focusing on as marines commander?

Get welders, shotguns and weapons/armour upgrades up first, then what you do will depend on what the enemy does - you don't really want Exos against a fast, aggressive alien team, for example.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 8, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Eh.

So, grenade spam is still a thing. Also the Lerk mouth cam is really bothering me for some reason I can't entirely define.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 2, 2012

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

colonp posted:

Marines are better at map control, and their building mechanic is more decentralized, so they usually have more resource towers. The game is balanced with this in mind.

Indeed, aliens should keep harassing RTs for that reason. As alien commander, keep reminding people to evolve (hit B people, it's free!) and keep asking to go around and hit those RTs. Verbally reward players that do.
If you see a well organized marine party of 3-4, tell everyone to avoid that area. Aliens are so much better at just putting pressure on multiple points.

edit: Does anyone have hints on Whip and turret placement? I tend to put whips behind corners and in places such as behind the hive or in the upgrade-building corner to catch those marines that just dash through.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm really tempted to buy NS2 this weekend. Do marines have a sprint or run? Or do they move at a flat speed like in NS1?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
3 day since I purchased and I still can't get in to start a game. Every single time now it times out during the "precache" stage.

Its a good job that there isn't a "refund since this game outright doesn't loving work" button becuase UWE would be down one purchase for their lovely product.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Played my first game of Alien Commander last night and had quite a bit of fun with it. Seems like the Marine Commander was new and only had one RT by the time I had about 5 extractors and starting a second and third hive. Was it just the marines being bad or is expanding super quickly to the resources really good? Finishing two extractors and expanding the infestation to a hive site within two minutes seems like it's pretty awesome. Then again it was my first time so tell me if I'm actually being silly.

Also how come I haven't seen people ever use the Shifts? Just read about them on the wiki and they seem pretty amazing for shifting a bunch of Crags and Whips to a little outpost near the marines.

e: Are abilities researched off mature buildings (i.e. Mature Whip researching Bombard) only usable by mature buildings? Would a newborn Whip be able to use bombard straight out of the gate or do I have to wait until it's mature.

That Gobbo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 2, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Orv posted:

So, grenade spam is still a thing. Also the Lerk mouth cam is really bothering me for some reason I can't entirely define.
It's not as bad as ns1. If your Commander has hucked down some whips then things can get a bit hairy for the grenadier.

That Gobbo posted:

Finishing two extractors and expanding the infestation to a hive site within two minutes seems like it's pretty awesome.
You don't need infestation to lay down a hive, you can slap one down on any tech point whenever you have the resources. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you and you knew this but just like to prime the area first, which is a perfectly good tactical choice.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 2, 2012

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I take it back. UWE are doing something right. I've progressed to getting into games and immediately timing out in the ready room. Great work on their part! Maybe by Monday I'll be able to select a team before my connection mysteriously drops.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm really tempted to buy NS2 this weekend. Do marines have a sprint or run? Or do they move at a flat speed like in NS1?

There's sprinting and it's very important. Also, marines still move backwards really slowly.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Wildtortilla posted:

Marines can sprint with shift but it only lasts like 10 seconds or so.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

rt4 posted:

There's sprinting and it's very important. Also, marines still move backwards really slowly.

This is the best thing about NS2 because it's essentially doing nothing for the marine but giving them misplaced comfort. As it should be.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

I take it back. UWE are doing something right. I've progressed to getting into games and immediately timing out in the ready room. Great work on their part! Maybe by Monday I'll be able to select a team before my connection mysteriously drops.

What are your system specs? Have you tried verify cache and/or reinstall? Have you checked out the official tech support forums? There are several threads on people who have this same issue:

This one claims to have a fix that has worked for some people: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123063

This one seems to be the newest: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123083

So it looks like this is a known issue and UW will be working to correct it as quickly as possible. Sorry you're frustrated, I know how lovely issues like this can be. Hope you manage to stick it out though, there's a fun game waiting for you on the other side.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 2, 2012

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

octoroon posted:

What are your system specs? Have you tried verify cache and/or reinstall?

I'm having the same problem. Loads up, get the disconnect icon before or just after i choose a team.

I've managed to play one game so far though, but that was after a string of timeouts even before the game was finished loading.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

octoroon posted:

What are your system specs? Have you tried verify cache and/or reinstall? Have you checked out the official tech support forums? There are several threads on people who have this same issue:

This one claims to have a fix that has worked for some people: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123063

This one seems to be the newest: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123083

So it looks like this is a known issue and UW will be working to correct it as quickly as possible. Sorry you're frustrated, I know how lovely issues like this can be. Hope you manage to stick it out though, there's a fun game waiting for you on the other side.

Cheers Octoroon. I've tried a full reinstall but thats all so far, I'll check out those links when I'm back from work tonight. I don't mean to sound so bitter it's just so rare that I have this many faults getting a game started. What jars me the most is that I got into one game right after purchasing and it's been downhill since then.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

TheMostFrench posted:

I can't imagine why camo would ever be an opener ever. On most maps I like to start with celerity, having shifts is also useful for reinforcing contested positions and for helping a gorge speed build the second hive when you get to it. If I do use a shade hive, it will be for silence.

The few matches I've played a Camo opening (months ago, so changes happened), it was reeeeally useful and allowed nearly complete map control in the early game. It's just entirely dependent on player skill. If none of the skulks on your team know how to stick together and position for ambushes, it won't work, and if the marine team sticks to squads (and receives Observatory support), it also won't work. It can be powerful, but I've mostly seen it in stacks, which is probably why it's happening now.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Those of you having problems, can you also check the log files for anything weird? Log's are located in: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\log.txt generally itll be the last line if the crash left something in the log.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gazaar posted:

What would you expect from a miniscule enthusiast review site that likely got more hits from being linked here than they do in an entire week otherwise?

To weigh in on the game as someone from the olden days of NS, this version feels great so far.

Well until voogru shits up the game with his stupid loving plugins

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
So this isn't a broken, total mess like it was in beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No, not at all. Some people are having problems and your framerate will drop substantially during heavy combat, but it's awesome.

• Locked thread