Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Absinthe Frappes. Did a bottle in an afternoon.

Well yeah there's that.

cyberia posted:

I love absinthe and these all sound amazing. Can I have the recipes, please?

A Corpse Reviver #2 is equal parts Gin, Lemon Juice, Cointreau, and Lillet Blanc, with the tiniest dribble (seriously, between 3 and 10 drops) of absinthe. Shake, strain into stemware. Finish with a cherry, if you like to do that sort of thing.

An Obituary Cocktail is just a dry martini with some absinthe tossed in for excitement. Paul Clarke uses 2 oz. gin, 1/4 oz. vermouth, and 1/4 oz. absinthe. I've made it that way with success.

Charmmi posted:

I'm seeking advice on a punch for a party this weekend. It's for 10-15 people and there will probably be a good amount of other liquors and beers. I'd like to spend around $20-30. I like some of the punches Kenning has mentioned in this thread using fresh fruit to make syrup. The usual punch for this crowd is a mixture of vodka, sprite, and sherbert. If there is a punch that is bright or deep red that would be even better.

How big of drinkers are these 10-15 people, how intense do you want the party to get, and will there be other things served? No matter how much I preach the good word of punch, I always just end up recommending Limmer's. I wish I could convince more people to really invest in a more complex, richer bowl, but Limmer's is fine and it's a good intro to punching, I suppose. If you wanted to be a boss and spend like $100 you could bring a batch of

USS Richmond Punch

1 bottle strong dark Jamaican rum (Smith and Cross recommended, or Pussers)
1 bottle VSOP cognac (you could go VS if you like, or even non-cognac, but that's sort of like putting Velveeta on your cheese plate)
1 bottle decent ruby port (nothing too fancy, but something drinkable)
24 oz. strong black tea
2 1/4 cups unrefined sugar (turbinado or whatever)
16 oz. lemon juice
6 oz. Gran Marnier (feel free to use Triple Sec, but see my comments about the cognac)
4 liters seltzer water
nutmeg

Muddle the peels of 6 or so lemons in the sugar, and let sit to extract the oils. After at least an hour (if you can leave them for 4 or 5 hours it's even better), dissolve the sugar with the tea (made by steeping 3 tea bags or 3 tsp loose black tea in hot water for 5-7 minutes, then letting cool) and the lemon juice. Strain out the peels somehow, then add the spirits and and the wine. Bottle this all up somehow, and let it cool in the fridge. When it comes time to serve, pour it, along with your chilled seltzer, into a bowl and grate fresh nutmeg on the top. Slip in an ice block and consider your party made.

edit: If $100 is too much money, which is fair, get someone to go in with you on the punch! It'll be delicious.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Kenning posted:

A Corpse Reviver #2 is equal parts Gin, Lemon Juice, Cointreau, and Lillet Blanc, with the tiniest dribble (seriously, between 3 and 10 drops) of absinthe. Shake, strain into stemware. Finish with a cherry, if you like to do that sort of thing.

This is amazing. My new brunch cocktail.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
There will be beers and plenty of shots being taken at the same time. People will be wandering between upstairs for food and drinks and downstairs for music and games. I think the Limmer's punch will be nice and well within my budget. The hostess of the party doesn't enjoy gin or anything with flavor but I am not about to watch her mix up another tub of sherbert and soda.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah Limmer's will be good for that. I nearly always use New Amsterdam for the gin, which is really mellow and tasty.

I just remembered one more punch you could do that's pretty much in that budget as well!

Gowanus Club Gin Punch

1 liter gin
1 liter green tea
8 oz. lemon juice
4 oz. pineapple syrup*
2 oz. white sugar
1 oz. Chartreuse (or other potent liqueur)
1 liter soda water

Muddle the peels of 3 lemons in the sugar and let sit for, again, 1-6 hours. Dissolve with the lemon juice and tea (4 bags or 4 tsp loose, steeped for 3-5 minutes, then chilled), then strain out the peels. Add the pineapple syrup, the gin, and the Chartreuse, stir well, then add the chilled soda water, stirring gently to combine, before slipping in the ice block.

*Made pineapple syrup by making a 2:1 rich turbinado/demerara syrup, then allowing it to cool before adding 1 whole cored, cleaned, and chopped pineapple. Let it steep for 24 hours, then strain through cheesecloth, squeezing to get all the good pineapple flavor out.

If you don't have Chartreuse you can use pretty much any other liqueur. Particularly good choices include maraschino, Benedictine, apricot brandy, creme de violette, pimento dram, or even just an ounce of your favorite bitters.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I got a private gig doing punches for a former co-worker's party in Boston in a few weeks. While I am just going to say the first number that comes to mind when she asks what she should pay me, I'm probably going to develop my own punch(es) rather than stick to the Wondrich. I'll post whatever I come up with for your perusal/disdain.

PS electric juicer for the win. I'm not juicing a pint of lemon juice because I'm not a barback anymore.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh man that's gonna be great. I've done a few originals that I'm pretty proud of – developing your own punch is very rewarding. Do you have any ideas what you're gonna do? When I'm creating a new punch I usually decide on the base spirit first, and then identify some sort of particular trait I'm going for. Something like "pear cider" or "herbal liqueur" or "tamarind juice" or "beer". From there I cross-reference with a few well-tested recipes for rounding out the ratios and general guidance.

God I love punch so much.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kenning posted:

God I love punch so much.

Too much!

Have you explored wine, yet? You ought to.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

pork never goes bad posted:

Too much!

I have sometimes thought about exploring wine, but then I realized I'm uncultured swine and all I know about wine is Kraft Dinner is white wine, red if you add ketchup.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

Gowanus Club Gin Punch

Sounds like a winner! I can't wait to put a stop to this sherbert and sprite nonsense.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So how'd it go???

Too much!

I'm passingly familiar with wine. That's my dad's thing, so I tried lots of wines growing up. Right now I'm more of a spirits guy, and I also drink a fair amount of beer. I'd need to be in a social context where drinking a bottle of wine at a go was more common for me to really get into wine, since I always feel stressed out with a partially-consumed bottle, like there's a timer ticking down.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

There always is. Air is oxidizing your wine from the moment you open it until the last drop. The solution? Burn the cork.

Also I'm making a modified hot whiskey punch, it's essentially a liter-sized hot toddy. Threw in a sachet of shredded ginger and cracked allspice berries. We'll see how well it takes the maceration in about half an hour. It's basically a liter-sized hot toddy. For three.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Vegetable Melange posted:

There always is. Air is oxidizing your wine from the moment you open it until the last drop. The solution? Burn the cork.

Also I'm making a modified hot whiskey punch, it's essentially a liter-sized hot toddy. Threw in a sachet of shredded ginger and cracked allspice berries. We'll see how well it takes the maceration in about half an hour. It's basically a liter-sized hot toddy. For three.

Vacuum the wine. Better than it should be days later.
Toddy sounds awesome.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Vacuuming can radically alter the flavor profile of a wine due to the lower pressure increasing vaporization of certain volatile compounds preferentially. Older and less extracted reds tend to be destroyed by vacuum sealing.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

So how'd it go???

I thought it was very tasty! A couple people who would usually never touch gin admitted it was "dangerous". Our guestlist shrank because of the cruddy weather so the punchbowl only got halfway down. I froze some plastic cockroaches in the ice ring to slowly melt into the punch. I managed to startle myself with a buggie in my cup because I forgot they were there.

Will definitely do it again.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I made some Limmer's for a friend's party tonight. I was surprised by how light it was at first, since I'm used to drinking cocktails and this was my first stab at punch, but it had a really nice balance to it. I used Beefeater since that's the only halfway decent gin they had in stock at the place near me, and it worked out great. All in all this was pretty great stuff--I would absolutely make this again. I would have tried to Gowanus but I got the punch signal less than 24 hours before the party so I didn't have time to tinker with pineapple syrup. Next time I'll try that or one of the arrack recipes, just to mix things up :haw:.

Thanks for the introduction to punch, Kenning!

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Lately I've been having some fun on my friday nights with Rum and Coke, and after getting sick of Bacardi white and Coca-Cola, I decided to try Kraken and Jarritos Cola. Both are heavy on flavor and hard to get a hold of but taste damned great, whereas Bacardi and Coke tends to taste thin and go down fast. I'm thinking about continuing this trend of mixing and matching, anyone else got some favorite rums and colas that would go well together?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Lately I've been having some fun on my friday nights with Rum and Coke, and after getting sick of Bacardi white and Coca-Cola, I decided to try Kraken and Jarritos Cola. Both are heavy on flavor and hard to get a hold of but taste damned great, whereas Bacardi and Coke tends to taste thin and go down fast. I'm thinking about continuing this trend of mixing and matching, anyone else got some favorite rums and colas that would go well together?

Step up your game and do a Kraken and Reed's Extra Ginger Brew. Throw in a wedge of lime and you have a Dark n' Stormy. So delicious.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

If you wanted to try a real cocktail with rum that has a big dark/sweetness to the profile, try a Jungle Bird.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

The Hebug posted:

Step up your game and do a Kraken and Reed's Extra Ginger Brew. Throw in a wedge of lime and you have a Dark n' Stormy. So delicious.

Sounds good, is there a general measurement ratio or should I just wing it?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Sounds good, is there a general measurement ratio or should I just wing it?

Depends on how strong you like your drinks, but I think the "official" ratio is 1:3 rum:ginger beer. Adjust to taste. I think Gary Regan does 2:3 so I think you have a lot of leeway.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

The best thing you can do with a basic rum and Coke is add a squeeze of lime and make it a Cuba Libre. Make sure you get Coke in a can (or glass bottle, I guess). I find the plastic bottles leave a weird aftertaste.

The Dark and Stormy is also a great use of Kraken. Wish I could find a ginger beer around here that isn't Goslings, so I could experiment more.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 2, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You could also make your own ginger beer, if you want to be totally rad. Note that his "25 granules" of yeast in the post body is amended to "1/16 tsp" in the comment thread, and the latter amount is much more correct.

marmot25 posted:

I made some Limmer's for a friend's party tonight. I was surprised by how light it was at first, since I'm used to drinking cocktails and this was my first stab at punch, but it had a really nice balance to it. I used Beefeater since that's the only halfway decent gin they had in stock at the place near me, and it worked out great. All in all this was pretty great stuff--I would absolutely make this again. I would have tried to Gowanus but I got the punch signal less than 24 hours before the party so I didn't have time to tinker with pineapple syrup. Next time I'll try that or one of the arrack recipes, just to mix things up :haw:.

Thanks for the introduction to punch, Kenning!

:dance:

I'm glad I've managed to get some people into the punch game! Again, I must rep Wondrich's Punch!. It's a blast to read, and there are punches in there to delight the most delicate of palates. The best thing is that after a few bowls your friends realize that punch is serious business, and then all you need to do to have a party is make up a bowl and then it's good times all-round.

Oh, and keep an eye out for Seville oranges, they should start showing up around December or January. Orange punch with Sevilles, navel oranges, and cognac is seriously to die for. It's my favorite strictly seasonal punch.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

I got into Captain Morgan Black & Coke recently, a buddy of mine introduced the wife to Captain Morgan Black and Root Beer, he likes it as he doesn't do caffeine. Kraken and Root Beer would probably be about the same.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's the ratio for Gimlets everyone uses? I usually start the night drinking 1:1 but do 2:1 or 3:1 pretty soon after. Maybe 4:1 if I'm feeling saucy. And more though and I feel like I should just ditch the lime and drink it neat or on the rocks.

Also, lime juice cordial (à la Rose's) or fresh lime juice + SS?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

What's the ratio for Gimlets everyone uses? I usually start the night drinking 1:1 but do 2:1 or 3:1 pretty soon after. Maybe 4:1 if I'm feeling saucy. And more though and I feel like I should just ditch the lime and drink it neat or on the rocks.

Also, lime juice cordial (à la Rose's) or fresh lime juice + SS?

If you can get good, not corn syrup-y cordial, rock that and go 1:1. If you're making a sour, I like 3/4 lime to 1/2 simple with 2 gin. Your tastes will probably be less sour than mine, and a 1:1 ratio of lime to simple will work better.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I made a bowl of champagne punch for a birthday party last night based on Kenning's recipe and it was great. 4 bottles of champagne, pineapple and orange slices soaked in simple syrup, raspberry syrup, lemon juice and more simple syrup to taste. Also made a gigantic ice block with lemon slices frozen into it.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Imbibe' by David Wondrich so now I think it's time to get 'Punch' as well. Thanks for the tip Kenning!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Moved my whole bar last week. The only bottle that leaked was the Galliano. My entire liquor stock smells like licorice now.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517322&pagenumber=1#lastpost
]I made some cocktails. I was gonna crosspost the recipems but I can;'t.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If there's one thread where drunkposting should be excused, it's this one.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

In the bartending thread, it's mandatory

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I've been going through and just kinda trying new cocktails at random because I want to spice my drinking problems up a bit. Turns out a bocce ball is a great replacement for the screwdriver. There seem to be a lot of versions of it but I just used the basic one that's 1 part amaretto 2 parts orange juice and sometimes a splash of soda water to make it fizzy.

It also reminded me that I loving love amaretto, any other good drinks to make with this?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

nrr posted:

In the bartending thread, it's mandatory

Where is this thread? I can't contribute, but I'd love to read.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Glitterbomber posted:

It also reminded me that I loving love amaretto, any other good drinks to make with this?

1.5oz Amaretto, .75oz Bourbon, 1oz lemon juice, splash of simple syrup, 1 egg white.

Shake and double strain into a double old fashioned glass over some ice and garnish with a lemon peel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wild Turkey 101 is a great way to strengthen an amaretto sour.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I prefer Laird's bonded to beef up my Amaretto sours, but that's hard to find sometimes. I also feel like a bit of fresh-squeezed orange juice in an Amaretto sour is just the thing.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Where is this thread? I can't contribute, but I'd love to read.

It's in A/T. Definitely some fine literature.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I finally gathered all the ingredients for the Aviation (wasn't easy – I live in Ontario and neither the crème de violette nor the maraschino liqueur are sold at LCBO), and it's a lovely cocktail. However, I'd like to try the other version mentioned on the Wikipedia page: "Ensslin's recipe called for 1½ oz. El Bart gin, ¾ oz. lemon juice, 2 dashes maraschino liqueur, and 2 dashes crème de violette". Now, I know that a dash is somewhere between 1/8 and 1/16 tsp nowadays, is that what it meant in 1916? Or something else?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

My favorite spec, for a modern palate, is 2 gin, 3/4 lemon, 1/2 maraschino. 1/4 violet. Which brand did you find?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As I've stated before, I usually omit the violette and go 2:3/4:1 gin:lemon:maraschino, but that's because I'm a maraschino fiend. I love creme de violette in a Blue Moon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

If you're that nuts for maraschino (you are, you are nuts), get a bottle of the aged bols and rock nothing but improved cocktails all day.

If you made me an aviation without violette, I would quietly leave my tip on the bar and find my way to the exit, possibly after peeing on the floor of the bathroom on purpose.