Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This page actually made me burst out laughing. I love this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
There must be a reason why Jones looks like Homo sapiens even here, millions of years before the arrival of humans or primates in general. I mean, gently caress if I know what that reason actually is, but it's still striking to me.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
My crazy theory is Jones is the etheric personification of how human's perceive the formation of species and Earth. If belief in an outside godly force while looking at a coyote is enough to create a Coyote trickster deity. Then whose to say scientific study isn't enough to retroactively create something to observe the changes in history happening.

Jones has been around to observe all these things happening, and humans create/know these events to have occurred due to observations of things written history, artifacts, and fossils. That sounds like a type of belief to me, and in this story's setting probably has some sort of power.

And she very well could have been around at the creation of the universe with this theory.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 2, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Noooo how could they skip the dinosaurs?! Jones hi-fived a velociraptor and the terrible author/artist ruined it. Never reading this comic again.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

the2ndgenesis posted:

There must be a reason why Jones looks like Homo sapiens even here, millions of years before the arrival of humans or primates in general. I mean, gently caress if I know what that reason actually is, but it's still striking to me.

She's from the future and time is cyclical. Or she's just from the future.

Either way there is an enormous swerve incoming.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Secret Spoon posted:

Jones killed the dinosaurs.

I don't know about the dinosaurs, but the buffalo comic a few pages ago does suggest she played a role in the Quaternary Extinction Event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_extinction_event#Hunting_hypothesis

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is the chapter going to end on Monday with "I honestly don't know." ?

I've been thinking this for a while. She's been around forever but might not know why.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

A Lot of People posted:

Waaaah why no dinosaurs?!?

Honestly, I'm kind of relieved Tom skipped the entire Mesozoic. There are other, weirder geological periods that need more love.

(But yeah, we really need a reason for her looking human...)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Zenzirouj posted:

Was it so much to ask, Tom? Just one panel of Jones riding a dinosaur? It was right there on the side of the road, but noooo. You just kept on driving.

That's what fan art is for :v:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I don't know about the dinosaurs, but the buffalo comic a few pages ago does suggest she played a role in the Quaternary Extinction Event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_extinction_event#Hunting_hypothesis

"Oops" :geno:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If she's been around for hundreds of millions, if not billions of years, then the time she's spent interacting with humans wouldn't even be a blink of an eye for her.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

If she's been around for hundreds of millions, if not billions of years, then the time she's spent interacting with humans wouldn't even be a blink of an eye for her.

Probably a hell of a lot more interesting though.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zenzirouj posted:

Was it so much to ask, Tom? Just one panel of Jones riding a dinosaur? It was right there on the side of the road, but noooo. You just kept on driving.

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Jones and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling Jones riding a dinosaur?

Great, one more boring-rear end trilobite. Tons of potential lost and for what? Because Tom didn't feel like taking any chances. Can't have the main characters riding dinosaurs, despite all the little hints (and sometimes not so little ones) dropped all over the place. Must make them older, boring, and ensure they wind up with the worst fossils in the world.

Yeah, tell me what there is to look forward to with this era, hoss. You seem to be all for it. Jones's the most boring lead in any time-travel story since Chiba Mamoru from Sailormoon. There's not a single interesting (or redeeming) thing about her and yet it's looking increasingly like Annie's going to end up Medium.

Because trilobites, that's why. God forbid GCC take a chance with anything. Nope, must conform to the status quo and leave that dino poo poo to the weirdo characters, right?

Yeah, no. gently caress you and gently caress Tom. I guess it's nice he made a 'please stop reading my webcomic, it's becoming like any other time-travel' arc though. Real considerate-like. Always good to see straightforward, boring fuckin' trilobites. And at the end, Jones will witness the beginning of the universe, Annie'll find out what Jones is, and Kat'll be there to talk about robots or some other stereotypically generic thing. Because Jones must be boring, always and forever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:golfclap:

I know I said we should enjoy the ride instead of being impatient, but every update raises more questions without answering anything, and it's... challenging to go on waiting for that answer, trickle by trickle. I should have waited until the chapter was done.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

:golfclap: I was waiting for that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DontMockMySmock posted:

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Jones and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling Jones riding a dinosaur?

Great, one more boring-rear end trilobite. Tons of potential lost and for what? Because Tom didn't feel like taking any chances. Can't have the main characters riding dinosaurs, despite all the little hints (and sometimes not so little ones) dropped all over the place. Must make them older, boring, and ensure they wind up with the worst fossils in the world.

Yeah, tell me what there is to look forward to with this era, hoss. You seem to be all for it. Jones's the most boring lead in any time-travel story since Chiba Mamoru from Sailormoon. There's not a single interesting (or redeeming) thing about her and yet it's looking increasingly like Annie's going to end up Medium.

Because trilobites, that's why. God forbid GCC take a chance with anything. Nope, must conform to the status quo and leave that dino poo poo to the weirdo characters, right?

Yeah, no. gently caress you and gently caress Tom. I guess it's nice he made a 'please stop reading my webcomic, it's becoming like any other time-travel' arc though. Real considerate-like. Always good to see straightforward, boring fuckin' trilobites. And at the end, Jones will witness the beginning of the universe, Annie'll find out what Jones is, and Kat'll be there to talk about robots or some other stereotypically generic thing. Because Jones must be boring, always and forever.

Nice. :golfclap:

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
With that reminder to look at the night sky, I notice how Jones's eye peeking under her hair resembles the Moon peeking through the window.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

For any new readers wondering just what this is all about. STOP WONDERING. Your life is better off not knowing, just trust me on this one.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

For any new readers wondering just what this is all about. STOP WONDERING. Your life is better off not knowing, just trust me on this one.
I'm a long-time reader, and I'm still wondering what this is all about. :confused:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DaveWoo posted:

I'm a long-time reader, and I'm still wondering what this is all about. :confused:

Oh well. We had this manchild with pedophile tendencies offend Tom in several venues because his teen lesbian fanfiction didn't come to happen.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
For the curious. (edit: beaten)

It was low-hanging fruit, I'll admit. But I can't help but think back at ChibiSoma whenever anyone expresses any sort of disappointment with GC. That poo poo is still absolutely hilarious to me.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I remember Chibisoma; I had just forgotten the actual wording of his post. Man, you guys have way better memories than I do.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2012

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wow. What a creepy little dick.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

DontMockMySmock posted:

For the curious. (edit: beaten)

It was low-hanging fruit, I'll admit. But I can't help but think back at ChibiSoma whenever anyone expresses any sort of disappointment with GC. That poo poo is still absolutely hilarious to me.

I love the fact that ChibiSoma disappeared from this thread after Tom posted a response to them. :allears:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Too bad he doesn't still have the glorious avatar that was bequeathed him after that episode. Unsurprising but too bad.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Welp, this thread took a dark turn. I was going to make a joke about how Jones did hang out with dinosaurs - but only the weird and unpopular ones like Plateosaurs, Beipiaosaurs, and Stegoceras, but...

Saoshyant posted:

Explanation for the "gently caress trilobites" thing.

Never mind.

Arglebargle III posted:

Probably a hell of a lot more interesting though.

I don't know about that. Sure, Jones looks like a human (and since I am a paleoartist and I like good speculative fiction, I have to reiterate that there best be a drat good reason). But if she is, as the latest page suggests, as old as the sea, then having to live among humans for the last few thousand years must have felt for her like what it would probably feel for me if I decided to get myself involved in the daily (hourly? minute-by-minute?) dramas of a swarm of gnats.

E: We're imagining that either these are gnats who are of human-like intelligence and that I can socialize with them or that, for reasons that are unclear, I came into this world resembling a gnat -- look, you come up with a better analogy!

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Her interactions with Jones, Langdon, and the cavemen prove that she can relate to a human context, and, in fact, chooses to repeatedly do so even when rebuffed (as by the witchfinder). Her humanity is more than skin deep.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

My crazy theory is Jones is the etheric personification of how human's perceive the formation of species and Earth. If belief in an outside godly force while looking at a coyote is enough to create a Coyote trickster deity. Then whose to say scientific study isn't enough to retroactively create something to observe the changes in history happening.

Jones has been around to observe all these things happening, and humans create/know these events to have occurred due to observations of things written history, artifacts, and fossils. That sounds like a type of belief to me, and in this story's setting probably has some sort of power.

And she very well could have been around at the creation of the universe with this theory.

This was exactly what I thought when this page posted, and it has some merit. When Coyote talks about forming the stars in the sky, does the power of that myth make him old enough to have seen the stars form?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rahonavis posted:

But if she is, as the latest page suggests, as old as the sea, then having to live among humans for the last few thousand years must have felt for her like what it would probably feel for me if I decided to get myself involved in the daily (hourly? minute-by-minute?) dramas of a swarm of gnats.

She's seemed pretty fond of the men she's been seen with through the flashbacks, and currently seems pretty close to Jimmy Jims. Despite her age it does seem that her time around humans has some value to her, even if she's not really that capable of outwardly showing emotion over any of it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cavatica posted:

This was exactly what I thought when this page posted, and it has some merit. When Coyote talks about forming the stars in the sky, does the power of that myth make him old enough to have seen the stars form?

Coyote was present, twenty thousand years ago, when the world was formed from the whirling maelstrom of chaos and the Gods began to shape the world.

Jones was there, four hundred and twenty million years ago, when the invertebrates unearthed her face from the seabed.

Just as the infinite futures diverge from the present, so can pasts converge. Everything about the world is a fusion of the Material and the Etherial - including history.

Neither the Material Tenet of "Everything must have a rational explanation" and the Etherial Tenet of "Just stop worrying about rationality" will suffice when trying to deal with the Hodge-Podge that is the world of Gunnerkrigg Court. Both sides will ultimately be frustrated if they try to pursue their path - the Forest, by stagnation, as the inquirers of the world race ahead of them; and the Court, by the refusal of magic to comply with pure science. Anja and Donald have the most sense out of anyone in the Court thus far - accepting that magic is inexplicable, and instead focusing on its applications. If it comes down to it, their school of thought will be the ultimate victor in the cold war between Gunnerkrigg and Gillitie.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the mysteries I cannot solve; perseverance to crack the ones I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Or something to that effect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I started reading this chapter wondering to myself "yeah, what is Jones?" Now I don't. Now I wonder "what in the bleeding gently caress is that thing!?" Good job at keeping up the suspense, but I really hope it gets to the point soon.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I almost suspect that Tom is actually writing and drawing updates immediately, while reading this thread, just so he can gently caress with our heads :tinfoil:

We won't actually get an explanation for Jones' origin until someone has an honest to god breakdown.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

Late quoting but this is pretty good. And trilobites are way cool!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
At this point I think it's fair to say Jones doesn't look human, humans look Jones.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

farraday posted:

At this point I think it's fair to say Jones doesn't look human, humans look Jones.

Nah, humans are a species. Jones isn't. Jones looking like a human suggests that humans were pre-destined.

What kept the world spinning before humans came along and started creating gods all over the place? Where does the ether come from? WHAT THE LIVING gently caress IS UP WITH JONES?

These are the questions that bother me.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Not showing Jones on a dinosaur is a piece of great thinking on Tom's part. Now all he has to do is open up commissions again as soon as this chapter is over...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Talas posted:

And trilobites are way cool!

They are. I've loved them since they invaded Paris in one of Adèle Blanc-Sec's stories, and of course they're also a favorite of the Foglios.

They're very graphical creatures. Creepy crawlers, kinda cute in a way, definitely odd-looking.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Ah to be old when the world was young

Perhaps Jones simply exists at all times at once, or maybe she is one of Plato's ideal forms. I doubt we will ever know.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm waiting for the page entitled: "Before the beginning of the Universe."

And a week later: "An uncountable number of universes ago."

And a week after that: "Before existence itself."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My next improbable prediction: the next page is going to be nothing but white light, then the page after that is going to be the heat death of the universe in the far future. Jones' existence is paradoxical, and time is cyclical. Continue backwards until we get to now, and then Jones answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I want this to keep going backwards simply because I want to see what the art for the formation of the solar system will look like.