Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Taear posted:

Can someone tell me how to get the Butterfly quest done? I cannot dock it, because there's a loving huge rock in the way.

It's not the dock next to the castle as you would expect but the dock area next to the nearby fisherman where some other ships are parked.

Rascyc posted:

I actually skipped sense weakness for now, I need to go back and grab that but mind runes and maxing oratory right now. Persuasion is actually kind of lovely, I think? There's really not that many hostile races going around so you can just raise it as necessary. Tactics always seemed pointless to me with improved haste in the game, and having to deal with tactics every fight just feels like a waste of time.

Persuasion isn't going to be great in the early parts when your army will be straight up Viking/Human plus whatever neutral troop you find, but its already paying off for me by letting me keep both Elves and Cannoneers in the same army. Plus the possibility of mixing in the aforementioned Black Knights, who can carry the game by themselves but I imagine will wreck poo poo with a supplement of non-lovely non-undead troops.

Tactics really depends on your playstyle and shines once you have access to level 5 units. Besides letting you arrange your troops into more advantageous/protective formations, it lets you put melee units into immediate striking distance and push up your ranged units close enough so that they don't take a range penalty. All of this can be accomplished with spells, of course, but Tactics free you up to do this AND cast a different buff like mass bless. It's really great when you have high initiative, high defense units like dragons and want them to burn through whatever two stacks of enemies you want before the enemy can move. Basically, if you have heavy damage dealers that have attacks that depend on the enemy army being grouped up (i.e. dragons' breath attack) and can soak up damage on the frontlines, Tactics becomes really good. The game also remembers your formation so you don't have to change up your units after every battle, it's just a matter of hitting a confirmation box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Taear posted:

The only time I felt it didn't really work was in Crossroads/AP - it feels like the game is built around having a themed army of undead, humans or whatever. Usually you can't actually HAVE a themed army though, because the supplies just aren't there for you to recruit.
My mega dinosaur armies from AP beg to differ! An all dinosaur army ruled pretty loving hard, and there are usually enough troops there to keep it going for a long time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

moot the hopple posted:

It's not the dock next to the castle as you would expect but the dock area next to the nearby fisherman where some other ships are parked.

Ahh thank you. I never would have done that - perhaps the guy tells you to, but I picked the quest up a day ago now and I can't remember. I wish the quest journal was a bit more specific about stuff.

quote:

My mega dinosaur armies from AP beg to differ! An all dinosaur army ruled pretty loving hard, and there are usually enough troops there to keep it going for a long time.
It's not the case with every single type - an army of Humans isn't too hard either - but with a lot of them. Especially Undead, I think I only discovered four places in the game to pick up those from. And with some of the units you get much later, such as the Elves, you're not really going to be making an army out of them because you've got better and the extra bonuses for a "themed" army aren't going to outway having Paladins and Inquisitors and etc.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 2, 2012

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Anyone run into a crash bug when attacking Ice Dragons? I'm trying to empty out the former Dragon's lair in ruined verlon (i more than able to) but anytime I attack the ice dragon troop with any of my own the game crashes out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

moot the hopple posted:

The game also remembers your formation so you don't have to change up your units after every battle, it's just a matter of hitting a confirmation box.
Oh poo poo? When did they make this change? I don't remember it being like that the last time I used it. I'll have to pick it up now as the idea of casting mass bless instead of mass haste at first is pretty enticing.

Ahhh, so many mind runes to get.

Sloober posted:

Anyone run into a crash bug when attacking Ice Dragons? I'm trying to empty out the former Dragon's lair in ruined verlon (i more than able to) but anytime I attack the ice dragon troop with any of my own the game crashes out.
Oh yes. Thankfully they are rare, and it only crashes when it's you killing them, but it's a known bug.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203350/discussions/0/864950398839098278/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh hey patch notes for today's patch while I was lurking the steam forums for the latest update in crashes:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203350/discussions/0/864950398838848231/

quote:

ENG
Enemy trops now can deal critical damage <-- traps I assume
• "Sense Weakness" skill routine fixed
• "Icy Rage" skill now applies critical chance to rage abilities
• Valkyrie level up interface improved
• Game freeze after sacrificing a second item to Gudrida fixed
• "Magical Help" ability of Witch Hunters now applies a random buff
• Incorrect passages in Catacombs, Pirate dungeon, on the Riftlands and Nordlig are now fixed
• Auto-battle now uses Rage abilities
• "Last hero" spell corrected
• A number of texts clarified and corrected, including
• Description of Song of Ljusalfheim corrected
• Description of skill Transmutation corrected
• Description of Divine Hand corrected
• Description of bonus items in Valhalla edition corrected
• Odis Or and Undershore Brotherhood quests corrected *
• Quest-related (“Missing cabin boy”) army now doesn’t run away anymore *
• Hilda now adds a correct amount of leadership at any level *
• Regina now grants attack bonus to level 5 creatures *
• "Greedy"-achievement counter now displays the amount of gold earned correctly *
• Amount of honey in "Block of Honey" now won’t be reduced if the item is in the inventory
• "Shamanic doll" item functioning corrected *
• "Telescopic Sight" item functioning corrected *
• Travel time between islands calculation corrected *
---
* New Game Required

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
^^^

I did think it was odd Witch Hunters always cast Dragon Slayer.

Quarex posted:

That is a quest parodying MMORPG quest chains, but the translation does not seem to make it nearly over-the-top enough to clarify. There is one specific group of bears/wolves you need, and I am pretty sure it appears in conjunction with that quest, since I had already cleared the area I later found them in (there is an arrow made of rocks on the ground nearby, about 3x the length of your horse if that helps ... I think it is pretty close to the arrival area of the island).

Thanks. The problem was that you need to actually run around on the ground to trigger the encounter... and after getting the winged horse I saw little reason to travel on the ground ever.

moot the hopple posted:

Persuasion isn't going to be great in the early parts when your army will be straight up Viking/Human plus whatever neutral troop you find, but its already paying off for me by letting me keep both Elves and Cannoneers in the same army. Plus the possibility of mixing in the aforementioned Black Knights, who can carry the game by themselves but I imagine will wreck poo poo with a supplement of non-lovely non-undead troops.

Why Black Knights? Do they do anything interesting besides hit things for physical damage? Executioners would seem to be better, since they have infinite retaliation and can get extra turns.

Personally I've been using Archdemons; Teleport nearly anywhere and an ability that hits everything on the board. Paladins, Demonologists, Rune Mages, and those Bear Maidens (of which I only ever found 10, but the Sacrifice spell is allowing me to slowly build up their ranks) being the other troops.

Only need Persuasion level 2 to erase the morale penalties there. Not sure when you would ever need level 3.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 3, 2012

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The amount of those that require a new game is completely poo poo, considering how long a game takes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did Crossworlds add enough to AP to warrant another playthrough? I skipped Crossworlds before after the horrifying experience that was playing an early game Mage on hard mode, but I am not sure I could go back from Warriors of the North. I can't quite recall what all changed in the talent trees.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I think I might just start playing attrition style (in KB: The Legend). Just fighting everything that I can beat and using every unit possible instead of trying to conserve everything. I have a feeling it will be more fun.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Did Crossworlds add enough to AP to warrant another playthrough? I skipped Crossworlds before after the horrifying experience that was playing an early game Mage on hard mode, but I am not sure I could go back from Warriors of the North. I can't quite recall what all changed in the talent trees.

It adds new quests, spruces up some units that were kinda boring to use, adds dudes that let you convert units into better types and the talent trees are much better than in AP (or at least I noticed that the mind tree was made a lot better). I can't remember the exact details unfortunately, but there's a good amount.

As for Cuatal's post: Yeah, don't worry too much about losing any dudes except for ones that are harder to replace/do awesome stuff that gets better as the troop size increases.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Reading about having executioners and arch demons and the like in this game makes me wonder if there is another huge section of the game to come after you open up the whole world map, or whether my game super-decided to screw me over with its troop assortment. I mean, I am still having no problems, but it would be fun if trolls, Jotun, and one place selling dragons were not the only 5th level things available.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Offkorn posted:

Why Black Knights? Do they do anything interesting besides hit things for physical damage? Executioners would seem to be better, since they have infinite retaliation and can get extra turns.

Black Knights have really great stats for their leadership cost and their attack skyrockets with each attack they make. In Armored Princess, Black Knights were great because of several supporting factors: a skill in the might tree that boosted all undead units, a companion that can provide a steady source of Black Knights AND granted them the ability to always retaliate, an item that reduced their leadership cost by a good chunk, and the spell Eviln, which is arguably the best resurrection spell provided the unit happens to be undead like Black Knights. All of that made Black Knights absolute wrecking balls in AP. Of course, there's no telling if they'll be as great in WotN without knowing whether those items remain in the game.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

Black Knights have really great stats for their leadership cost and their attack skyrockets with each attack they make. In Armored Princess, Black Knights were great because of several supporting factors: a skill in the might tree that boosted all undead units, a companion that can provide a steady source of Black Knights AND granted them the ability to always retaliate, an item that reduced their leadership cost by a good chunk, and the spell Eviln, which is arguably the best resurrection spell provided the unit happens to be undead like Black Knights. All of that made Black Knights absolute wrecking balls in AP. Of course, there's no telling if they'll be as great in WotN without knowing whether those items remain in the game.

Well, for WotN:

Eviln can only be cast on a dead stack (or from auto-triggering a certain percentage of the time when an undead stack dies). Which is a bit limited.

There's no Might Tree skill that specifically boosts undead and no companions (besides Valkyries, who dislike undead). There is an Artifact you can make with the level 3 Artifactor Magic Talent that raises your Dark Knight cap by 10 (and does something else I can't remember, possibly morale related), but that's not all that great. Particularly since there's a Weapon that reduces Demon leadership costs by something like 30% when fully upgraded... which gives you quite a bit of extra Executioners/Archdemons.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 3, 2012

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's a mod here that adds an infinite number of every unit in the game to the castle on the first island.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How does the raven work exactly? I thought the idea was you'd let him eat scrolls and then he'd know how to make them,but I can't seem to get him to do anything with the spells he has learned.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

He can only 'eat' Wanderer Magic scrolls (the spells that can only be cast out of battle). After you give him one (through the dialog option), you can talk to him and choose the "Could you write one for me?." option. A list of the spells he knows will then pop up. You can only ask him to write scrolls that aren't currently in your spellbook though.

Personally I've only ever found one Wanderer scroll so far (Depth of Thought), and he came with the "Gifts of Stones" spell.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
I found the cheesiest of cheeses is to have a full ranged army of humans with Runic mages, arch mages, archers , inquisitors and paladins. Just shoot the enemy as they try to get to you. The cheesiness comes from using runic mages Phantom ability on paladins. This will give you a stack of extra paladins WITH the second wind ability and their rez. Cast second wind on runic mages with the new stack of paladins. Cast runic word on rune mages to get them more runes, and use their luck ability rune to get more defence runes if you're unlucky.

Neverending huge army that can rez everything

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Has anyone figured out how to let auto battle go while alt-tabbed? Usually windowed mode works but I cannot find one anywhere.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Offkorn posted:

He can only 'eat' Wanderer Magic scrolls (the spells that can only be cast out of battle). After you give him one (through the dialog option), you can talk to him and choose the "Could you write one for me?." option. A list of the spells he knows will then pop up. You can only ask him to write scrolls that aren't currently in your spellbook though.

Personally I've only ever found one Wanderer scroll so far (Depth of Thought), and he came with the "Gifts of Stones" spell.

Yeah, the problem is I can only seem to get him to list what spells he knows, I don't see any option to get him to actually write it out. It's really bugging me since I found Call Colossus on the 2nd island and had him eat it with the intent of rocking out some super troops. Do I need to have any supplies for him to write with or something?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I haven't played a KB game since the original one years ago. Should I get Warriors of the North given that it's the latest iteration and probably has the most features, or is Armoured Princess better? (Crossworlds is an expansion to AP, right?)

EDIT: Meh, I still own The Legend on Gamersgate so I think I will replay that one. Have things changed much since then?

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 4, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ancient phoenix is such a ridiculously powerful spell in this game. The thing can crit for 2.5k all on its own, and it's an AoE attack too. It tanks like a champ too. I don't quite recall this thing being that powerful in AP.

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, the problem is I can only seem to get him to list what spells he knows, I don't see any option to get him to actually write it out. It's really bugging me since I found Call Colossus on the 2nd island and had him eat it with the intent of rocking out some super troops. Do I need to have any supplies for him to write with or something?
If there's no option for him to write a spell then that means he's already writing one. It takes time for him to write the spell and there's no warning when it's actually written. Just check your wanderer spells periodically until the one you chose appears. Then check back with the Raven and you can ask him to write another spell.

If you never chose for him to write a spell, I suppose it may take time for him to consume a new spell too (maybe it autochooses for him to write the spell he consumed, I can't quite recall).

Also writing takes 5 crystals but he'll yell at you if you don't have enough.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agesilaus posted:

I haven't played a KB game since the original one years ago.
They really did an astounding job in taking the spirit of the original game and updating it for modern sensibilities; everything from the fun exploration of new islands to the fun of only focusing on one hero is still there, and there are all kinds of new tactical things going on in combat. If there is anything to complain about, it is that a few of the quirky things about the original (like "weeks" replenishing army stacks, ghosts absorbing the armies they kill, other little things) are gone, but there is plenty of fun to be had.

Agesilaus posted:

EDIT: Meh, I still own The Legend on Gamersgate so I think I will replay that one. Have things changed much since then?
No. And that is the beautiful thing. Definitely play The Legend, because if you like it you will like/love the others, and if you do not, you will not really be impressed by the others, either. They do add new things every time, though I think they added more between Legend and Armored Princess/Crossworlds than between those and this. And Crossworlds is, as mentioned earlier, literally just Armored Princess with some things added on top of it, so there is no reason to play the plain Armored Princess game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Hey dudes, make sure you keep that ratty torn boot you'll probably find in the first dungeon. I just happened to be wearing it because there was literally no better boots in my game and some innkeeper in Arlania gave me a box that lets me choose and buy any troop from Viking, Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. It's like having a portable, never ending restocking center for these races :stare:

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Damnit I junked those boots for crystals.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow, loaded up King's Bounty The Legend, played for five minutes, quit after getting the princess doll from the dragon. My taste in games has changed a lot, glad I didn't waste the money on Warriors of the North.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

Wow, loaded up King's Bounty The Legend, played for five minutes, quit after getting the princess doll from the dragon. My taste in games has changed a lot, glad I didn't waste the money on Warriors of the North.

Yeah I dont really appreciate the writing either, but I enjoy the combat.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

Yeah I dont really appreciate the writing either, but I enjoy the combat.

Yeah most people don't read a bit of the actual text.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So I haven't had a huge amount of time to play this new expansion / quest, but so far I'm a little disapointed by the starting island. I've restarted a few times to try the different classes, and it's been the exact same troops available for recruitment. It's kinda boring... I really like to have some variety in the troops I play with.

Does this get better once you get to the 2nd / 3rd islands?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

Hey dudes, make sure you keep that ratty torn boot you'll probably find in the first dungeon. I just happened to be wearing it because there was literally no better boots in my game and some innkeeper in Arlania gave me a box that lets me choose and buy any troop from Viking, Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. It's like having a portable, never ending restocking center for these races :stare:

While it sucks because everyone likely will of destroyed theirs for more crystals, it's kind of cool to see random secrets like these throughout the game...

I wonder if there's a way to cheat them back in, I want unlimited killzerkers.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ahaha, that's funny. I junked that poo poo ages ago too.

PotatoManJack posted:

So I haven't had a huge amount of time to play this new expansion / quest, but so far I'm a little disapointed by the starting island. I've restarted a few times to try the different classes, and it's been the exact same troops available for recruitment. It's kinda boring... I really like to have some variety in the troops I play with.

Does this get better once you get to the 2nd / 3rd islands?
Yeah after the 4th island and its two bosses, you can pretty much go anywhere and recruit most of the usual mid-game stuff you would see in a KB game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Has anyone figured out how to let auto battle go while alt-tabbed? Usually windowed mode works but I cannot find one anywhere.

I remembered playing the other ones in a window but there doesn't seem to be an option for it here, which really is lovely. Maybe something in a .ini file?

dsgasdas
Jul 10, 2004

pretty keen

Rascyc posted:

Ancient phoenix is such a ridiculously powerful spell in this game. The thing can crit for 2.5k all on its own, and it's an AoE attack too. It tanks like a champ too. I don't quite recall this thing being that powerful in AP.
it was the same in ap, really good up until lategame then you start facing those enormous stacks and have to use blind/fear spam and make an ice fort for 50 turns. as a mage you can drag its peak out a little longer with """oil mist"""; every other class kinda needs their one spell to be a """cc""".

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

So there is currently a game breaking bug. Avoid attacking any stack with ice dragons. Killing the final ice dragon in a unit crashes the game. Another handy hint NEVER CAST CALM RAGE. This spell can and probably will reduce your maximum rage, my mage went from 70 to 35 before I noticed. Here is a fuller list of bugs that may contain spoilers:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=35325

It's a bit strange to me how a game that is basically a minor update with a new campaign can have so many bugs, that are so obvious to find and in some cases completely game breaking.

Also quite a few of the bugs that have been fixed seem to require a fresh game, so it might be worth shelving this game for the time being. I am currently stuck on what I believe is the 2nd or 3rd to last area, and even when my progression isn't completely blocked by plot dependant ice dragon mobs that crash the game, I still crash every 5 or so random battles. Also for reference the first half of the game I had no crashes. I don't know if the last patch broke things or the later areas are just bug heavy.

Anal Papist fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 5, 2012

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Really, the King's Bounty games are great if you liked to play HoMM 3 and put all of your units into one army. Armored Princess (and i'm not sure about Warriors of the North, haven't played it yet) makes it even better by reducing the amount of massively underwhelming battles you'll have to face.

Glad to hear that the viking expansion is good. I can't wait until the original devs realize that their MMO is a terrible idea and will go back to making more of these.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Anal Papist posted:

So there is currently a game breaking bug. Avoid attacking any stack with ice dragons.

Killing the final ice dragon in a unit crashes the game. I don't know if the last patch broke things or the later areas are just bug heavy.

Well poo poo, I've just killed the last ice dragon in a stack and had it crash. If that means I can't complete my game without restarting I'm really not going to be happy. I just wanted to clear the Dragon Castle in the wastes!

And I'd say later areas are just generally less well done than earlier ones. The engrish in the dialogue pops up a lot more - when you're talking to one of the Valkyries for example, it constantly says "His" in the dialogue and much of what they're saying doesn't really make sense.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It may be a bug, but I had something interesting happen when I was fighting one of those armies with the stack of 1500+ ranged units.

Round one, I hit them with an Ice Prison to keep them from acting. Round two, I use the rage attack that drops astral spears (the valk attack) and it selects the stack in the Ice Prison. I expect it will shatter the prison and free the stack o' hurt. Instead, both the prison and stack are removed and replaced by the mana/rage orb.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug: the game sees the attack destroyed the prison and says "replace what's in that square with the orb" and overwrites the stack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Anal Papist posted:

So there is currently a game breaking bug. Avoid attacking any stack with ice dragons. Killing the final ice dragon in a unit crashes the game.

Huh, that's weird. I've killed probably two dozen ice dragons and never had a hitch.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

I killed quite a few before the patch but now it crashes my game everytime. On the official forum bug page it mentions a specific ice dragon mob, but I have it happen on all of them now. It's supposed to be related to the death animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, there's a bug with Orc Chieftans, where if you use their third adrenaline skill, your rage will fill up completely, this breaks things as much as you think they would.

On a lighter note, do the east and west freedom isles quests, they have some of the most retarded and hilarious poo poo you can do. Like a FABULOUS white dragon, a goblin whom wants to be an all real pirate and keeps insisting you stab one of his eyes out/chop off one of his legs and two orcs that have you continuously deliver black spots to eachother that are named after big name shipping companies.

Spoilered in case other goons don't want the quests spoiled.

• Locked thread