Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

complex posted:

I like Terminals. Supports RDP, VNC, SSH, Telnet, Citrix.

That is pretty cool. It says it supports VMRC. Does it allows you to do basic operations like power the VM on and off? Or is it a console window and nothing more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I would like to switch to using Linux almost full-time but I'm lazy and don't want to have to reboot into Windows every time I want to play a game. Is it possible to build a hypervisor that would allow me to get the full gaming performance of an independent Windows machine while being able to run an instance of Linux I can quickly switch back to when I want to get work done or just browse the net?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Xen can do this. I'm not sure how easily it can be set up or how difficult it would be to use.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Just install your favorite linux distro into something like VMware player. It will give you the full linux experience.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I use chord for TS because gently caress windows desktops.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
mstsc for life.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I use CoRD but gently caress that when can I access VM consoles via the web client on mac

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

do any of those let you pop a tab out of the main window like chrome does with a browser tab? I used to use VisionApp Remote Desktop (old free 1.5 version) but now I find myself with 2 or 3 remote sessions open at once across my sea of monitors.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

skipdogg posted:

do any of those let you pop a tab out of the main window like chrome does with a browser tab? I used to use VisionApp Remote Desktop (old free 1.5 version) but now I find myself with 2 or 3 remote sessions open at once across my sea of monitors.

RoyalTS does this, right click on the connection and select 'external' it opens in a new oopout

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

complex posted:

I like Terminals. Supports RDP, VNC, SSH, Telnet, Citrix.

Installed terminals. Opened RDP session. My PC hard locked and had to be power cycled.

Pretty cool first impression! :thumbsup:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I finally got around to setting up VSphere client acceess over a ssh tunnel, instead of using out PPTP VPN, by following this post:

http://www.virtuallifestyle.nl/2010/03/tunneling-a-vsphere-client-connection-over-ssh/

What's the reason for having to put '127.0.0.1 myvm' in the hosts file in Windows instead of just being able to put 127.0.0.1 in the address of the VSphere sign-in?

decryption
Jun 23, 2005

I'm trying to convert a physical Windows 7 machine to a VMware machine using VMware Converter 5.0.1 and having some problems competing the process. To make it bootable, I assume I need the 100mbit boot volume:

But when I try the conversion process with it selected, I get this error:
code:
FAILED: The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source volumes or because the source machine does not have any NTFS volumes. Error code: 2147754783 (0x8004231F).
I'm guessing it is because the 100mb volume doesn't contain enough space to be cloned, so if I untick it and run it again, the VMware file is created but I get this error at 98% complete:

I tried to load up the image anyways, but this happens:

How are other people making bootable Win7 VMs of physical machines?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1037507

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I have two netapp HA pairs at seperate sites. I have two vCenters each with a datacenter, and the vCenters are linked. I have SRM installed. I have created protection groups, have my SRA configured,etc.. When I test my SRM failover, my datastores (which are NFS) are cloned properly but are only mounted on a single host at my DR site. This is less than optimal. Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking to determine why my other hosts are not mounting the datastores as well?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

With my test environment at home I'm hoping to pick up some virtualization knowledge, so I figured virtualizing the existing domain controller would be a good exercise. I can't seem to find this in documentation, but: if I use vCenter Converter Standalone to throw an existing physical machine on a USB external drive, install the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor on the physical machine¹, and then plug the USB drive into the server, will I be able to import the VM on that drive to the hypervisor or do I have to do something silly like SCPing it over the network?

¹ First making an image of the existing OS if things go wrong, of course.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

E4C85D38 posted:

With my test environment at home I'm hoping to pick up some virtualization knowledge, so I figured virtualizing the existing domain controller would be a good exercise. I can't seem to find this in documentation, but: if I use vCenter Converter Standalone to throw an existing physical machine on a USB external drive, install the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor on the physical machine¹, and then plug the USB drive into the server, will I be able to import the VM on that drive to the hypervisor or do I have to do something silly like SCPing it over the network?

ESXi will not recognize usb storage.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

E4C85D38 posted:

It might be just me but I usually voice against most P2V plans. I rarely use them, nor suggest them.

If you want to do this make a CIFS/NFS share upload the VMDK and other files and import the VM to the new environment. Alternatively just rebuild the DC which really shouldn't be that hard.
http://www.vhersey.com/2012/10/autolab-home-lab-build/
Auto lab is your friend

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

I have two netapp HA pairs at seperate sites. I have two vCenters each with a datacenter, and the vCenters are linked. I have SRM installed. I have created protection groups, have my SRA configured,etc.. When I test my SRM failover, my datastores (which are NFS) are cloned properly but are only mounted on a single host at my DR site. This is less than optimal. Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking to determine why my other hosts are not mounting the datastores as well?

I assume you've tried manually mounting the NFS datastores on your DR hosts? My guess would be NFS permissions... seem to always get misconfigured. Could also be DNS, etc. I would confirm you can manually mount the datastores at your DR site just to confirm that's all in order.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah can't say I have seen that issue, porbably because I use FCoE/iSCSI for most things. NFS permissions might explain it.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Is anyone running Exchange over NFS? I know it's not supported but I've seen reports of people doing it and it running quite well. I was told that if you ever need support on it you just vmotion over to an iSCSI datastore and then call up support.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah can't say I have seen that issue, porbably because I use FCoE/iSCSI for most things. NFS permissions might explain it.
It wasn't permissions, it was even dumber. By default, the maximum number of NFS volumes that an ESXi host can mount is 8. This was fine for our daily volumes, but when you double them, we needed more.

It didn't affect the one host because we had temporarily used it in our production environment for a week, and had already bumped up the max nfs volumes to 32 on that one host.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Noghri_ViR posted:

Is anyone running Exchange over NFS? I know it's not supported but I've seen reports of people doing it and it running quite well. I was told that if you ever need support on it you just vmotion over to an iSCSI datastore and then call up support.
Not necessarily trying to pick on you here, but that's just another reason that some support cases can run for weeks or months without a resolution. You should present the whole set of facts to the least, and prove that your current supported configuration still reproduces the issue.

Some vendors flat out don't support you for being out of spec, so I can understand. But for those that do at least Best-Effort, don't try to manipulate their support by telling them what you think they need to hear, and hide other facts. It might just slow everyone down when they have to go through hours of research before finally determining you omitted necessary facts.

And in some cases you might quite innocently not know what is relevant/important to mention. That's understandable, but there are processes around asking for that kind of stuff. But lying, purposely omitting details, or otherwise misleading the case could just hurt everyone in the end.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Not only that but if poo poo hits the fan and you need that support if you can't vmotion properly or they look at the logs where you took it from a nfs share it can bite you in the rear end.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Noghri_ViR posted:

I am confused. I thought that requirement was put in place so people would not present storage to the OS and Exchange environment via NFS. If you just built for instance a VM with the OS and Exchange both installed on the same volume which was just a vmdk or vhd then the OS would not know nor care how the storage was presented because it would all be present as local and then the hypervisor would then of course be responsible for negotiating nfs or iscsi or whatever. Maybe I am stupid and completely misinterpreted but I thought that was the case.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
It doesn't look like there is any technical barrier stopping it, just MS slow to support NFS. The only thing I can think of is some of the Clustering methods for Exchange might play better with Block level such as FC or iSCSI.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
NFS isn't great at high-availability in traditional switched Ethernet topologies, which is probably a big part of the issue.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Noghri_ViR posted:

Why wouldn't you just use iSCSI?

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers
Is anyone else getting burned by Pano Logic disappearing off the face of the earth? My current and previous employer both use them, and right now we're wondering what happens now that the connection broker won't get updated with future versions of vSphere, and support is non-existent.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
To touch back on VDI and Gpu's I am in the middle of ordering a PoC, Test environment lab for my company. The Quadro 2000 seems to not require a 6 pin, and is a single slot card. I want to go for the 4000 but I am not sure if I am pushing the power supplies too much. The server is a 2027TR-HTRF, 2x1620w 80 PLUS, spread over 4 nodes ~ 405w per host, I am sure the 2000 won't have trouble as it is taking power from the PCI-E just worried about the 4000.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/GTC/SIGGRAPH_Asia_2011/PDF/Wade.pdf

looks like the 2000 might work. Suggestions? My ATI card blew up in my face and cause PSoD.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

TheGreenBandit posted:

Is anyone else getting burned by Pano Logic disappearing off the face of the earth? My current and previous employer both use them, and right now we're wondering what happens now that the connection broker won't get updated with future versions of vSphere, and support is non-existent.

That really sucks. I hope you weren't into them for too much money, because it looks like you need to start researching alternatives.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Does anyone else have a never ending stream of issues with Deep Security? We're on 8.0 SP1 using hotfixed DSVAs. Every day I come in to interface out of sync errors, VAs with / full, etc. TrendMicro doesn't seem to know their rear end from a hole in the ground support wise and tell me to just reboot the DSVA or reboot the guest. Neither of which are particularly acceptable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yeah, we do it and it runs exactly the same as iSCSI did. There's no technical difference to how Exchange operates, it's all abstracted and not visible at the OS level, so it's in my opinion more a CYA thing from Microsoft. There is slightly more overhead, but we're not hitting IOPS contention thresholds so who cares.

If you're doing something unsupported it is good to keep the flexibility to throw up an iSCSI volume to test against the supported config, but in this particular case it seems extremely unlikely that a iSCSI vs NFS problem would manifest itself in a way that would affect just Exchange instead of having larger OS level implications. Microsoft also says you should be thick provisioning your Exchange data volumes, and my assumption has been that because with NFS you're almost always thin provisioning automatically that they are trying to avoid a situation where an overcommitted volume fills and can't grow the VMDK.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Does anyone else have a never ending stream of issues with Deep Security? We're on 8.0 SP1 using hotfixed DSVAs. Every day I come in to interface out of sync errors, VAs with / full, etc. TrendMicro doesn't seem to know their rear end from a hole in the ground support wise and tell me to just reboot the DSVA or reboot the guest. Neither of which are particularly acceptable.

I've been running it in two production sites for a bit over a month, nothing horrible to report so far. Only issue I have is their retarded notification system, every night when the relay updates I get a series of emails telling me my appliances are not the latest, followed by a series of resolved emails as the appliances pull down the update.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Yeah I can't say I have any issues to report on my end? How large an environment where you running again? What version of ESXi?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

ESXi is 5.0 patched up to the latest version. Same with vCenter. We've got 3 clusters in our datacenter of 2 hosts per cluster. So it's a very small environment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Are they all syncing to an off host NTP server? or are they being told to sync with the host?

And they are observing DayLight Savings time right? We had a issue today where something wasn't syncing then at 12:01 it updated and was fine.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Are they all syncing to an off host NTP server? or are they being told to sync with the host?

And they are observing DayLight Savings time right? We had a issue today where something wasn't syncing then at 12:01 it updated and was fine.

I assume you're talking to me. The ESXi hosts all sync time to our router which syncs out to some authenticated US NTP servers. As far as I know they are. I haven't actually logged in to Deep Security to check everything out this morning since I've been in meetings, but judging by the emails, there are quite a few VMs with the "Interfaces out of Sync" error and it looks like one of the DSVAs / filled up again.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh okay I miss read the out of sync... My bad...

Can't say I have had any issues like that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am sure this has been covered in the past, but recommendations on a VMware view book? Finally got a server allocated for testing and some licenses ordered, so it is time to get the ball rolling.

I was eying this one, but am open to any suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-View-Desktop-Virtualization-Solutions/dp/1849681120

Edit: We really need a reading suggestion wiki for SH/SC or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I am sure this has been covered in the past, but recommendations on a VMware view book? Finally got a server allocated for testing and some licenses ordered, so it is time to get the ball rolling.

I was eying this one, but am open to any suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-View-Desktop-Virtualization-Solutions/dp/1849681120

Edit: We really need a reading suggestion wiki for SH/SC or something.

I have theta book FYI Check your PM's tonight I'll send you some snippets.

It's pretty good for a good understanding of all the technologies in view.