Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Going along on that note, there was also the pages posted earlier in this thread from that Starman run where it's shown in the future that civilization did drastically expand and change as a result of of his Dad's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Man, I really need to read Starman at some point.

I have been making my way through Justice League Europe, and throughout, Wally West has been acting like a 12-year old; shamelessly leering at any passing lady (especially PG) and acting the fool. Fast forward, and Kara is nearly killed in a battle that took the combined efforts of the JLE and JLA to combat, and has been lying in a coma ever since:

It's a quiet moment, but I can't say that it didn't catch me off-guard.

source: JLE #8

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Man, I haven't gotten around to reading Starman yet, but holy poo poo I love that art.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Man, I haven't gotten around to reading Starman yet, but holy poo poo I love that art.

Tony Harris drew the first half of Starman, and you might recognize his incredible work from the more recent Ex Machina. Peter Snejbjerg drew the majority of the second half, and his style is much cleaner and simpler than Harris -- it reminds me a bit of guys like Michael Lark and David Aja, but a bit cartoonier.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

The Midniter posted:

You really need to read this series asap. It's... magnificent regardless of who did the art and you'll love it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I was a little hesitant on Starman when I first picked it up. This is probably the moment that sold me on it. Context: In the first story arc, Ted Knight's old nemesis The Mist is making an assault on the city, and Jack's older brother is killed and Ted ends up in the hospital. Jack finds himself reluctantly taking the cosmic rod and fighting against Mist's henchmen. After he loses the rod, he continues fighting on the rooftops defending himself using old martial arts training until he runs into The Mist's daughter.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Transmetropolitan #22. Spider Jerusalem, not as much of an rear end in a top hat as you'd think.

Also, that last excerpt from his column is unbelievably poignant.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

"Surprise hug" is one of those tropes that gets me every time. Whether it's Despicable Me, Metalocalypse or that last scene in Batman's Face the Face. Does anyone have that one?

The story is that coming off Tim's biggest "gently caress you, Batman" sentiment ever, the two made up, went off and trained together with Dick for a year. Now things seem smoothed over, though slightly tense. At the end of the first story back in Gotham, Bruce tells Tim that he'd rather have him living in the mansion, but he can't legally make him his ward. He'd have to adopt him and he's not sure how Tim would feel about that.

Surprise hug.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Amazing Spider-man 122 You know the situation and the moment that Mary Jane's character changed for the better

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
No joke, that moment where Mary Jane decides to deal with Peter's emotional abuse (in that understandable situation on his part!), and decides to disabuse him of the notion of her superficiality, is so utterly powerful it bowls me the gently caress over every time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Out of context Peter sounds like the biggest rear end in a top hat but he really is reacting to how MJ had portrayed herself up to that point. For her to be like "No, I have real feelings and I'm going to help you through this" was a true defining moment.

And it's not like the door is open the entire time. She hears what he says, is very hurt by it, opens the door because she is about to leave, but then pauses and decides to stay.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
It had to have been mentioned but The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man always gave me a creeper.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

The story is that coming off Tim's biggest "gently caress you, Batman" sentiment ever, the two made up, went off and trained together with Dick for a year. Now things seem smoothed over, though slightly tense. At the end of the first story back in Gotham, Bruce tells Tim that he'd rather have him living in the mansion, but he can't legally make him his ward. He'd have to adopt him and he's not sure how Tim would feel about that.

Surprise hug.

Is it this one?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

McCloud posted:

Is it this one?

That's the one, thanks. For more context, this is right after we went a few years of Batman being his most insufferable and unlikable to the point that even DC editorial realized that he was broken and needed to be fixed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Didn't he get so bad to the point that part of the reason Tim wanted be Robin was because he could tell how broken Batman was getting?

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012
This thread made me tear up a few times. Leah the most. And the pet ones made me hug my cat.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Zerilan posted:

Didn't he get so bad to the point that part of the reason Tim wanted be Robin was because he could tell how broken Batman was getting?

I don't recall, but that sounds plausible.

Here's something from the latest couple issues of Aquaman. In the latest arc, they revealed that Aquaman used to lead a team called the Others. He never told Mera this and now the team has to get back together. One of the members is Prisoner of War. From what we can tell, he's a US soldier who survived some attack that killed his entire platoon and now he's both powered by and haunted by their ghosts. He spends his life in a military hospital, seemingly due to mental issues. He keeps calling up the soldiers' families and then hanging up on them while it's apparent that he's suicidal (Black Manta notes that he hides a gun with one bullet under his pillow).

During the big reunion, Prisoner lashes out at Aquaman. (Aquaman #11)

Over the story, we discover that Aquaman cut ties with the group and never mentioned them because he was a raging murderous rear end in a top hat back then and he's ashamed of who he was during that time in his life. In the end, they defeat Black Manta and go their separate ways. (Aquaman #13)

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The whole drat comic, especially the ending of the first story, was classic Krypto stuff. But here's the backup. Action #13. In case you didn't know, Krypto wound up in the Phantom Zone before Krypton's destruction.

I got all misty earlier in this issue when Superman went back for him. *huggin my dog*

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Writh posted:

I got all misty earlier in this issue when Superman went back for him. *huggin my dog*
The worst part of that was him emerging covered in ice, so much so that Supes had to fly him to the Sun to save him. I almost thought it wouldn't work, but sure enough it did :unsmith: Way to hit anyone who's ever lost a dog pretty hard, Morrison.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Urdnot Fire posted:

The worst part of that was him emerging covered in ice, so much so that Supes had to fly him to the Sun to save him. I almost thought it wouldn't work, but sure enough it did :unsmith: Way to hit anyone who's ever lost a dog pretty hard, Morrison.
Might as well get it in here:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I can't keep coming back in here if there are going to be more sad dog comics. I have a sick doggie now and it's just too much. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CzarChasm posted:

I can't keep coming back in here if there are going to be more sad dog comics. I have a sick doggie now and it's just too much. :(

Jesus, I have a healthy doggie and it gets too much. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Throwing your dog into the vacuum of space doesn't seem like the best cure for hypothermia.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It also sucks when you're separated from your doggie :(

Lurdiak posted:

Throwing your dog into the vacuum of space doesn't seem like the best cure for hypothermia.
What if you're throwing him at the Sun instead? :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just look at him in the second last panel. "I'm running! It's not working! Why's running not working?!"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You don't actually lose heat quickly in space, plus with him being directly exposed to the sunrays probably heated him up quickly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I thought the idea was getting as much yellow sunlight as possible to jump start Krypto's super powers.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It's much darker and not even sort uplifting, but this reminds me of the 4 pages or so leading up to the death of Jack Drake. Tim pleading with with Batman to save his dad, and Bruce finding himself unable to save someone was, I think, the best thing to come out of Identity Crisis and its aftermath (which included Batman's reign of dickishness.)

Speaking of which...

Zerilan posted:

IIRC, this is actually how Tim got to be Robin. He figured out Batman = Bruce Wayne, and also noticed that Batman was getting more brutal. He figured that Batman needed a Robin to keep him connected to the world, and volunteered for the job.

Anyway, some more Transmetropolitan. I only have the trade, so no scan, but maybe someone can do it - it's the last page of #26, one of the brilliant issues that's just some of I Hate it Here, Spider's column. The accompanying image is him in silhouette, looking at the City. The passage is a perfect encapsulation of the ethos of the comic, in a much more eloquent way than a lot of Spider's rants. EDIT: at least until Ellis decides to turn the comic into a more standard "good guy vs. bad guy" piece.

quote:

Terrible goddamn place. Some days it's like some bastard nailed a ticket for the bus tour down to loving Hell to the front of my brain. For every wild everything-depends-on-it first-week-of-being-madly-in-love kiss on a street corner, for every beautiful woman stopping to feel the sun on her face and every child dancing in the clean rain, there's a kid living in its own poo poo in a dumpster somewhere while Daddy sells his rear end for milk money, tanks breaking down unwanted houses just to stop homeless people squatting there... Time was this place didn't make sense and I could live with it. Either it's changed, or I have.

There's all the good things on this ticket, and pure loving evil too. And all the same, I'm going down with you.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 12, 2012

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

IIRC, this is actually how Tim got to be Robin. He figured out Batman = Bruce Wayne, and also noticed that Batman was getting more brutal. He figured that Batman needed a Robin to keep him connected to the world, and volunteered for the job.

This is right, but it was a good ten years or so before all the ultra-angsty evil Bruce Wayne

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WARNING: TERRIBLE ART AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This is from What If: Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire. In it, Vulcan becomes the host for the Phoenix and proceeds to kill a whole lot of people as he makes his way towards Earth. The team of Cyclops, Havok, Rachel and Cable take him on and during the fight, the Phoenix begins to rebel against him. At first, Vulcan starts screaming about how he's going to kill them, but then he stops himself and starts begging that he doesn't want to be hurt anymore. In this moment of weakness, Rachel reaches out into his mind where we see Vulcan in his true form.

I always thought this issue had a good script deserving of a competent artist, but it really just hit me of why the final moments really work. It's a criticism of the creation of Vulcan as a villain. Vulcan's existence as a fictional character is actually extremely mean-spirited and hosed up.

For those who don't know him or forgot, Vulcan is the third Summers brother who was torn out of his dying mother's womb, advanced in age via technology, made into a slave for the Shi'ar, escaped to Earth, got raised by Moira for a few years, was sent to save the original X-Men from Krakoa and ended up stuck in space in a coma for years while Xavier made everyone forget he existed. He woke up after M-Day, came back to Earth and was royally pissed at Xavier.

He appeared to be Marvel's version of Superboy Prime, the returning superhero-turned-bad who was such a childlike rear end in a top hat that you had to hate him. The thing is, Superboy Prime was still old enough to make his decisions despite all the tragedy. Hell, he's practically deep into his 20's when you factor in all that time in the pocket dimension. Vulcan is literally a little boy who got tortured upon birth and hosed over by his father figure. He really never had a chance.

So I find little Gabriel crying and saying, "I should have tried harder!" to be sad as hell :(

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That last page is as gorgeous as that first panel is hilarious.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Achewood, April 22, 2010. No context needed.

"Life ees cruel... But at least eet is life, at least for a while." :qq:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's easily my favourite Achewood ever and it really bums me out that Onstad burnt out on it after that (not been paying a lot of attention since it came back).

e: ok nothing since June, for the love of god

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 19, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

After that, requesting "home is run no more" from We3, since I don't have a scanner (sorry to keep doing this to the thread).

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I'm getting ready to move across country, leaving behind most of my family, all my friends, and lately I've realized that while I've changed houses a lot I've never changed towns. Leaving this town now, and only now, does it really feel like I'm leaving home.

I don't think I've run into a comic that fits a moment in my life so well, at least out of context as it's presented.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm getting ready to move across country, leaving behind most of my family, all my friends, and lately I've realized that while I've changed houses a lot I've never changed towns. Leaving this town now, and only now, does it really feel like I'm leaving home.

I don't think I've run into a comic that fits a moment in my life so well, at least out of context as it's presented.

And on that note, I give you Goodbye, Chunky Rice.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

And on that note, I give you Goodbye, Chunky Rice.

Shut up! I'm not crying! It's just dusty in here, okay?!

That's what I get for sharing my vulnerabilities with you people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

WickedIcon posted:

"[Home is] a time, not a place."

Jesus. Right in the emotions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WickedIcon posted:

"Life ees cruel... But at least eet is life, at least for a while." :qq:

I forgot how touching this was in a comic with so much bizarre humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wonder Woman #0: A younger Diana has been taking after-hours fighting lessons from the god of War (side note: All the other Greek gods have been showing up in this series and they've all been going by their normal names, but for some reason, nobody has referred to War as Ares. It's weird). Over time, she gets skilled and War takes a shine to her. Then one night, Diana wants to cut the wooden sword poo poo take the kid gloves off.